• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Microsoft to acquire Activision-Blizzard in near 70$ billion deal

SSfox

7iCA252.png

Soltype

They don't even have to do exclusivity, they can have the games be free on Series consoles, and priced everywhere else. Scenario 1, people buy Xbox systems for game pass.scenario 2 people buy copies of the game on other systems and they still get the money. It's a win-win for them.
My biggest hope is that MS recognises that the Vicarious Visions talent are absolutely wasted as a COD support team and gives them back the independence to make Spyro 4, Crash 5 and, at the very least, THPS 3+4 remakes.

No way MS leaves those IPs on the table. No way. Having Spyro and Crash be Xbox exclusives is way too juicy an opportunity to pass up.
Yeah they're sitting on a lot of talent now. They could even bring neversoft back.

Buggy Loop

Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear…. Souls games…. Sony better get that shit 100% exclusive on Playstation.

Forget Metal gear dude, it’s dead, it’s dead Jim.

If Sony tries to get exclusive deals again, I can sort of guess what will happen next 🤔

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Way off base. Despite negative PR, Actiblizz still made 1 billion in profits last quarter and you're forgetting that Activision includes King (Candy Crush), who make more money than both Activision and Blizzard.
King is worth something as its own business but it doesn't really add much value to MS's business, which is the idea here. Call of Duty is still the #1 game in the world, and it makes money, but it's also down like 45% from last year. This isn't a very diverse portfolio.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Microsoft is one of the richest companies on the planet and they did just go buy Acti/Blizz. probably will hardly make a dent too.
For sure, just seems wild all the same now that it's actually happened. I just assume companies like Activision and EA, etc would be too expensive for another company to just straight up purchase, lol.

Nvzman

Source pls
Have you not seen the tweets posted in this thread?
Like this one
Its very obvious MS wants in on that CoD money, I highly doubt they want to lose out on like 50% of the CoD revenue generated. Its not a reach and I'm certainly not perturbed by this news (I have an Xbox and a gaming PC so I don't give too much of a shit), but anyone who thinks CoD is getting an "only on Xbox" label from this is out of their mind.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I can't even wrap my head around this. This seems like too much. Too much for MS to own and too much to pay for games I don't give a fuck about. Looking at AB's page all they have is COD, WOW, Starcraft, Mobile shit, and some old forgotten platformers. I am guessing most of the value is COD, WOW and the mobile shit.

MDSLKTR

So like Bathesda we’ll see the back catalogue come to Game Pass. So hold off on buying Crash trilogy, Crash 4, Crash Racing, Spyro trilogy, Overwatch 2, Diablo, Tony Hawks - all the tucking CoDs man. What the fucking fuck.
Just imagine the catalogue drop on GP. EA and Bethesda was nothing.

Alebrije

Microsoft being Microsoft....buy instead of create.

Phil needed good IPs ASAP , this is the fastests way....

Bethesta adquisition was nice because it will help Fallout games, specially improving the game engine.

Activision do not know, do not see any improvement for its games , this is only good for Microsoft in order to own the IPs but for.consumers do not see a plus in the future.

Holy shit what a thread to wake up to...

Better them than Tencent but holy shit at this point we'll have a pie chart of all game devs that is 90% Microsoft.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
on one hand, this isn't really bad as a PC/xbox consumer, especially when you own Gamepass. On the other hand I won't fucking cheer for a company building a monopoly.

so deal wont be closed until 2023? that gives sony a while to figure out how to deal with the loss of call of duty. i know most of us here hate call of duty but dont forget how big it is. its one of the best selling games on PlayStation every single year. to just lose it, is a massive blow to sony.

reksveks

so deal wont be closed until 2023? that gives sony a while to figure out how to deal with the loss of call of duty. i know most of us here hate call of duty but dont forget how big it is. its one of the best selling games on PlayStation every single year. to just lose it, is a massive blow to sony.
invest in deviation and haven and the other one more maybe?

MaulerX

It's simple.

Just like Bethesda, existing games will continue to be on their existing platforms. Remakes of those existing games will be multiplatform as well.

Anything new will be exclusive to the Xbox's ecosystem (consoles/PC, XCloud).

MikeM

I just heard the news. Wild purchase. Sony better get something done because they are huge IP potentially off their consoles.

Shubh_C63

Nah. If anything, I think they will phase out Halo Wars or refocus it for the console crowd only, while Starcraft becomes the main Sci-fi franchise. At least that's what I would do.
I don't expect a company who names their developer Coalition and 343 making one IP games till they die to get rid of Halo Wars. and what good they will get by having console exclusive HaloWar when Gamepass is there ?, they will put on PC too. Aoe-medieval while Sci-fi will be HW, not SC3.

I say that also because Starcraft was dead for awhile even with Activision-Blizzard. SC3 would be extremely wishful thinking.

Destiny was thought of as a xbox centric game. Then Sony pushed with exclusive content hard and it did changed the demographic. (dunno now)

CPD will be given to all platforms with so much special preference to Xbox/PC that at the start of PS6 everybody gonna make the safe bet and buy Xbox/PC/GP.
Oh shit I didn’t even think about destiny! Does that mean Bungie is back in with Microsoft? Are they independent from Activision?

skneogaf

I've only recently bought all the latest call of duty games as I fancied playing through the campaigns and I already subscribe to game pass so will have them twice! Doh!

ToTTenTranz

Banned
People here celebrating a major consolidation in the game development/publishing business don't seem to have a grasp of what this means for them in the long term.

Neither is Microsoft going to keep charging what they're charging now for Gamepass, after spending $75B in videogame franchises and their developers. Best get your 3 years worth of Gold-converted-to-Gamepass right now.

Microsoft correctly read the services future of enterprise and it turned the company into a cash spending monster.
FTFY
For now, at least.

Last edited:
Yes COD will be big miss unless Sony get something similar to compete with it. We might actually get a good FPS because of this
This move reveals Sony’s biggest flaw…

They should have continued to invest in their MP franchises like Warhawk, Socom, Killzone, etc.

They have the single player games covered but they depended too much on third parties for there multiplayer games.

Last edited:
Long term, Microsoft knows its true competition is Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc. Sony and Nintendo are great but they're not big tech like the other big boys. I see Sony and Nintendo partnering more in the future with Microsoft to take on big tech

Last edited:
You don’t understand how these things work, do you?

You think Facebook has made back the $20bn they spent on WhatsApp? you think Slack has generated back the $28bn Salesforce spent buying them?

When YOU buy a house and put it on rent, do you expect to recoup the cash spent buying the house in a few years?
Bad comparison. You're not buying a house to sell it.... unless you're a property developer. You're buying a house to live in it for years. You're not thinking about selling that house to make a profit down the line.

Microsoft is obviously buying these companies so they can eventually make a profit. If they aren't, then that's pretty bad business.

Nickolaidas

Do you guys think this will make Song rethink their PC strategy or will they just continue like they planned
I think this will make them go deeper into PC port territory. They know they're going to lose a LOT of money due to CoD leaving the PS ecosystem and bringing their games to PC will be a good way to recoup some of that loss.

I said it before and I'll say it again:

By the end of this gen, all Sony games will also be going to PC day one.

I just heard the news. Wild purchase. Sony better get something done because they are huge IP potentially off their consoles.
Do what?
They can only continue to do what they're doing.

Nobody in the entire industry has as much capital as Microsoft to just shop publishers.

Top Bottom