• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: Yoichi Wada resigns as Square Enix CEO, likely being replaced by CFO

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
No wonder the line up suddenly got better this year.

About time, honestly.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Woooooow. Did NOT expect this...

duckroll

What's the over/under on Matsuda's prospects? Do we know much about him? I haven't followed Square Enix for ages.

He's probably just the acting CEO for now. Someone has to take over once Wada steps down. If they're serious about total management reform, they'll probably find someone else in the next few months imo.

Kouriozan

Now it's time to announce Bravely Default, Type 0, Versus XIII and those 4 Dragon Quest games(Slime 3, Monster Joker 3DS, DQ VII and DQ X).

Pooya

Any idea which titles underperformed ?

they have been saying that in all the quarters last year, games like Sleeping Dogs we know are one of them and probably Hitman because they never mentioned its sales. I imagine it must be soon to say for Tomb Raider yet, that's not regarding sales for this quarter but the whole fiscal year I think.

Bruno MB

dq9iwataoh8.jpg

Eusis

What's the over/under on Matsuda's prospects? Do we know much about him? I haven't followed Square Enix for ages.
This is what's important. I'm more optimistic for this than EA (EA either very quickly went sour or was sour all along, and seems to actually be in a position where they HAVE to be the way they are, but Squaresoft AND Enix were great for a long time and still weren't half bad even this gen relative to other companies), but without knowing about this guy I'm still weary.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The company was without a proper direction for a few years now. Anyone know what Yosuke Matsuda was doing before this?

Sandfox

Given the problems we know the company has I really don't see how a new CEO would be able to fix things without going big in iOS or something. It'll be interesting to see though.

AOC83

Banned
That would've been my impression as well, but I wasn't sure if they released something else in that time frame.

That´s probably the problem. They are pumping shitloads of money in stuff like FF XIV without getting it finished.

Hitman: Absolution and Sleeping dogs weren't really blockbusters but just wondering would Square Enix be in a worse shape without Eidos to rely on?

Salsa

this makes me more excited about the future than anything else

I really dont care about Square anymore (besides their publishing wing). Here's hoping they can change that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Good riddance.

Want to believe that this will fix everything.

Haunted

Does this mean more or less iOS games?
Considering they're citing bad console gaming sales as a reason for the revision, plan major restructuring and have seemingly written off/shuttered games in development worth around 6 billion Yen... we'll get more mobile games out of them in the future.

Antagon

He's probably just the acting CEO for now. Someone has to take over once Wada steps down. If they're serious about total management reform, they'll probably find someone else in the next few months imo.

I've heard that John Riccitiello is available.

shink

More browser games for Japan?

Will be interesting to see the direction of S-E after another person takes the position.

Top Bottom