• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: Yoichi Wada resigns as Square Enix CEO, likely being replaced by CFO

Toth

Not FFXIII/XIII-2/XIV?

No, 13 and 13-2 were big profit makers for them and this was stated on previous reports. Where I was going for was the huge developmental cost of Versus and the money needed for 13's massive revival. Those have been the cause of their gaming output decline in the past...three years at least?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
In the past, the method to develop a new FF was "let's ask Toriyama or Nomura to develop a scenario, because that's how we've always done it".

But I'm really hoping a new CEO, in order to prove himself, will be like "ummmm... why don't we find the best talent in the world to ensure that FF is great again?"

I know its an insular Japanese company who likes to support their established "talent", but after this many lessons, I could almost imagine the message getting through that "all of that doesn't matter". The FF brand needs to be restored, and you need to throw out the playbook to accomplish that.

tumblr_mbuajahHR21rek7mwo1_500.gif

Yesssss, Matsuda. You did the right thing putting down Wada.

Shinta

Banned
Is this good news? Is this means that I'm getting Type-0 and Bravely Default?

Honestly, only fools will spin this into being good news. Losing money doesn't mean they suddenly make expensive, open world console games, or low profit handheld games with high production values.

Pooya

10 billion yen is about comparative to say 100 million bucks right? Maybe Versus just died with Wada. Looooool.

I think he bailed out before 14 shit hit the fan later this year, that's probably a bigger investment and they are now realizing it will never return on that investment. lol

_woLf

Seems like this is a direct result of Square Enix's Japanese titles absolutely flopping lately. Maybe this'll be a turnaround for the company...I sure as hell hope it will be.

duckroll

Yep, it's the budget range of a major title. Or maybe the kind of writedown you'd say, see, if they dumped a few years of assets and retargeted it to sell 2-3 million rather than 6 million
like if it just became an exclusive launch title.

R17zYWQ.jpg

Zen

Banned
He better be if Nintendo wants to get their shit back together. He hurt them long enough.

Was the Wii already underway when he came in? I mean the WiiU is a big blunder, but he seemed to really get it in terms of running the company.

Shinta

Banned
Seems like this is a direct result of Square Enix's Japanese titles absolutely flopping lately. Maybe this'll be a turnaround for the company...I sure as hell hope it will be.

Honestly, seems like the exact opposite to me. What games flopped?

Seems like heavy investment into Eidos and quality PC ports not paying off, at all. They spared no expense on all of those projects.

Eusis

Honestly, only fools will spin this into being good news. Losing money doesn't mean they suddenly make expensive, open world console games, or low profit handheld games with high production values.
It's a potential for change, and it's possible there's a compromise of sorts to make to keep making stuff many of us like WITHOUT blowing the bank. Though I guess a start there are decent selling handheld games with modest budgets.

It'll be weird if Eidos wasn't doing too hot fiscally and they ended up offloading them though.

Cheebo

Banned
Was the Wii already underway when he came in? I mean the WiiU is a big blunder, but he seemed to really get it in terms of running the company.

If he got how to run the company 3DS wouldn't have been a mess out of the gate and continue to struggle to sell in the west and only have turned around in Japan. And WiiU wouldn't be the sales disaster it is.

Eusis

If he got how to run the company 3DS wouldn't have been a mess out of the gate and continue to struggle to sell in the west and only have turned around in Japan. And WiiU wouldn't be the sales disaster it is.
Some of it IS just luck and everyone makes mistakes, though I wonder how much of it is Nintendo simply failing to keep up with a very rapidly changing market.

It looks like they wrote down the book value of a game (probably FFXIV) and took a loss against the book value of sold properties (that free to play stuff) and there is some extra loss on other stuff.

Also, this is one of those times where Sony's 8% stake becomes very important as they will have a vote on who becomes the next CEO. If they can convince other major shareholders that Square needs a reformer to force HD console adoption in Japan then it will be a big win for them as it guarantees them SE franchise support.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

What was there to flop when they barely released anything?

I think other than KH3D, most of their Japanese releases met expectations.

It's the Eidos games and games like Sleeping Dogs that didn't meet expectations. And also perhaps DQ10. Definitely FFXIV and Versus which are sucking up money in limobo land.

AOC83

Banned

No, he came 2002. And the problems started way before the WiiU was even released, be it the 3DS launch, Nintendos inability to create an online system able to compete with Sony/MS during the Wii era or other things. Just took a while before things came back to bite them in the ass.

Eusis

It looks like they wrote down the book value of a game (probably FFXIV) and took a loss against the book value of sold properties (that free to play stuff) and there is some extra loss on other stuff.

Also, this is one of those times where Sony's 8% stake becomes very important as they will have a vote on who becomes the next CEO. If they can convince other major shareholders that Square needs a reformer to force HD console adoption in Japan then it will be a big win for them as it guarantees them SE franchise support.
Huh, that's a good point, and Enix's original CEO is still a huge shareholder IIRC but I don't know what his approach will be here, hey may've just gotten into games because they were growing and looked to be lucrative in the 80s.

10 billion yen is about comparative to say 100 million bucks right? Maybe Versus just died with Wada. Looooool.

I don't think the renewal of the company’s management will influence current titles in develpoment or titles that are planned for near future.

assuming Versus is either in develpoment or planned for near future :/

DS and Wii did do good though, only citing negatives is just half of the story. Positives count too.

Foffy

Banned
Finally. EA lost their CEO, and now Square-Enix has lost there's. Life is good.

Is Reggie next on the cutting block? I know he's not a CEO, but he's no Howard Lincoln.

Zen

Banned

Eh, I think it's hard to fault him for the 3DS except in the case of raising the price after it was so popular at trade shows and the like. He took the right steps to save it.

DS and Wii did do good though, only citing negatives is just half of the story. Positives count too.

I agree with this. He basically spear headed Nintendo's Resurrection. People forget just how bold the products were and how gloomy things were looking for Nintendo coming out of the Gamecube era.

Top Bottom