• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: Yoichi Wada resigns as Square Enix CEO, likely being replaced by CFO

Toth

I haven't followed th FF13 discussion too closely. What exactly was this fiasco? That FF13 was a bad game or something? Or that there were spinoffs?

FF13 is very divisive. Some love it, some hate it. It's honestly the same as every FF released in the past ten years. However, what is happening now is that some people are upset SE hasn't moved on to other titles. The world of FF13 was made into a trilogy to compensate for SE's mismanagement. The reason why though is because 14 was a huge bomb at release, Versus remains in development hell, and SE's next generation output has been very, very low. If you do not like 13 and the sequels, you would understandly be running out of patience for a new project. SE is sending too much time and effort to restore 14 ( which is working) to move their other projects ahead.

I doubt Versus has been a huge drain (at least not anywhere as much as XIV), considering that Nomura has been involved to varying degrees with a number of projects since it was first announced. Presumably the rest of the team have as well.

Whompa

I just hope none of the projects have been effected by this. I hope it's just a means to restructure the company and assure it's future, financially.

That's fine. But I'm gonna guess now you're gonna tell me everything they released in the 90's is a masterpiece..?

Not everything no. But there were alot more higher quality titles many of which becoming legends of the industry (FF6, FF7, Chrono Trigger, etc.). Under Wada there have been no such breakthroughs and not a single truly good game.

I just hope none of the projects have been effected by this. I hope it's just a means to restructure the company and assure it's future, financially.

I'll personally be ok so long as we get Versus, Type 0, Bravely Default, and XHD. Everything else revealed so far can be scrapped. They've probably dumped too much into XIV to abandon it, the XIII sequels need to stop though.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Not everything no. But there were alot more higher quality titles many of which becoming legends of the industry (FF6, FF7, Chrono Trigger, etc.). Under Wada there have been no such breakthroughs and not a single truly good game.

Again, subjective. I'd pick a bunch of games from now over then. You might not. Shrug. All that matters is their profitability in terms of this thread though.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You can't deny the impact, reception, and status those games enjoy compared to the limp reaction of their modern output though.

That doesn't really matter to me though. Zomg ff7 was amazing when I was a teen amounts to zero when it comes to me enjoying their current library. It might be important to SE and their fan relations and how they turn it into retention, but what more is it to me than shoot the shit over nostalgia with people on boards like this?

And I made a "Fire Wada" crack in another thread before seeing this one! About time they listened! :p

Seriously, man had ONE victory in his entire run as CEO: buying Eidos. Rest of it was hemmoraghing talent, IP viability, and lately, money. Of course, it's the last one that gets him fired, but it was the first two that led to that.

Perhaps they'll get in someone who isn't a distant, imaginationless miser pissing away the production lines, goodwill, and virility of his company rests upon (sadly, a common malady over there for old guard Japanese publishers).

I can't help but think this is all because all their profits from the successful Eidos ventures is getting drained by Versus.

I'm still convinced it was FFXIV. First one was ushered out the door under his watch in a state that one could be excused for believing was bereft of any movements in the MMO genre (good AND bad), or even its own predecessor's development barring the basidc race/job layout. He then lets it dangle like a hanged man making the company no money for months before calling (nearly) all hands on deck to save the damn thing, making years of development in months then charging a box & sub model to play a game tainted by A) a trainwreck of an initial launch and B) a genre market almost caustic to the very idea of box & sub.

That doesn't really matter to me though. Zomg ff7 was amazing when I was a teen amounts to zero when it comes to me enjoying their current library. It might be important to SE and their fan relations and how they turn it into retention, but what more is it to me than shoot the shit over nostalgia with people on boards like this?

It does matter to you [the consumer]. If a company's reputation for quality output staggers, its sales stagger. The opposite is true, like for Apple.

Your right when it comes to your personal enjoyment in preferences things like these don't mean anything.

You can't say their best work is subjective though at least not when it comes to general opinion. their current games have failed to capture fans with the same magnitude that they're older games have.

Also you can't dismiss something to nostalgia just cause it old .those games were recognized as great when they first came out and theyre look up on as part of the Golden Age for Square Enix. I doubt anybody is going to look at the past 10 years and current game that's going to take out and think of them as Golden Age material as well.

Edit I'm typing this out on the phone.

Caerith

And I made a "Fire Wada" crack in another thread before seeing this one! About time they listened! :p

Seriously, man had ONE victory in his entire run as CEO: buying Eidos. Rest of it was hemmoraghing talent, IP viability, and lately, money. Of course, it's the last one that gets him fired, but it was the first two that led to that.

Perhaps they'll get in someone who isn't a distant, imaginationless miser pissing away the production lines, goodwill, and virility of his company rests upon (sadly, a common malady over there for old guard Japanese publishers).

I'm still convinced it was FFXIV. First one was ushered out the door under his watch in a state that one could be excused for believing was bereft of any movements in the MMO genre (good AND bad), or even its own predecessor's development barring the basidc race/job layout. He then lets it dangle like a hanged man making the company no money for months before calling (nearly) all hands on deck to save the damn thing, making years of development in months then charging a box & sub model to play a game tainted by A) a trainwreck of an initial launch and B) a genre market almost caustic to the very idea of box & sub.
I agree with everything you said. They should just make Naoki Yoshida their new CEO.

hittman

Banned
do they have anything to do with nixxes?

nixxes is seriously one of the few good porters, their works look amazing on PC

Tomb Raider
Hitman
Deus Ex (although this was still a bit consoley)

I'm an expert

Your right when it comes to your personal enjoyment in preferences things like these don't mean anything.

You can't say their best work is subjective though at least not when it comes to general opinion. their current games have failed to capture fans with the same magnitude that they're older games have.

Also you can't dismiss something to nostalgia just cause it old .those games were recognized as great when they first came out and theyre look up on as part of the Golden Age for Square Enix. I doubt anybody is going to look at the past 10 years and current game that's going to take out and think of them as Golden Age material as well.

I don't know how to respond to this. I can't call opinions subjective because of some perception of majority..? I can't question old games' quality but you can determine future perspectives of current games?

Eithet way, none of that means anything. The quality of their games affect my enjoyment and purchasing decisions. Their games being categorized by fans as some golden age is irrelevant to me. It should matter to the company's interests, but I have no bearing on that. If your point is well one day SE might not exist..I mean..so? Plenty of shit from when we were young doesn't exist in this industry. I get it, we enjoy this hobby, but we'll survive if SE doesn't have another "golden age". I'll keep playin good games. I don't want them to close, I do my part, but I can only buy ATB so many times.

I don't know how to respond to this. I can't call opinions subjective because of some perception of majority..? I can't question old games' quality but you can determine future perspectives of current games?

Eithet way, none of that means anything. The quality of their games affect my enjoyment and purchasing decisions. Their games being categorized by fans as some golden age is irrelevant to me. It should matter to the company's interests, but I have no bearing on that. If your point is well one day SE might not exist..I mean..so? Plenty of shit from when we were young doesn't exist in this industry. I get it, we enjoy this hobby, but we'll survive if SE doesn't have another "golden age". I'll keep playin good games. I don't want them to close, I do my part, but I can only buy ATB so many times.

My point is simply that the pedigree of the older games like VI through X, when it comes to the community and fans as a whole, cannot be dismissed by nostalgia or subjectivity. Those games instantly made an impact and defined the genre. Their current games failed to do that. By a long shot.

This of course is unrelated to your taste. There's nothing wrong with playing and enjoying what you like independent of how things have turned out.

Yasae

Banned
Ohohoho... I spoken with the concept artist who was literally at the studio the whole time, shook hands with Sakaguchi, and ate with him for many dinners.

It was a mega financial disaster. The person I talked to said it was "Sakaguchi's Retirement Fling".
Right, but anybody could see that. The movie had no audience. You can't sell tickets to ghosts (phantoms).

The concepts started in '96 or '97 I think, so your artist friend knew for quite awhile.

As I've been at work all day didn't have a chance to respond.

I hope he'll respond for the lulz!

https://twitter.com/DJIzanaKunagiri/status/316543780838838274

Dude that's pretty uncalled for. I mean, I'm not a fan of the guy at all, and am glad he's leaving, and will talk him down in our discussions till I'm blue in the face. But, I don't think we should be harassing him, or trying to send rude messages to him.

The dude oversaw the deterioration of a once great game company. It sucks, but he was just a crappy CEO. He didn't do anything evil or malicious.

Are the negative opinions surrounding Wada, Toriyama and the decline in quality from Square-Enix shared by gamers in Japan or is it just a western thing? Also would Square-Enix and it's employees be aware of what people think of them? If I was Toriyama I would curl up in the foetal position and cry myself to sleep after reading some of the stuff written about me. Lol.

faridmon

Are the negative opinions surrounding Wada, Toriyama and the decline in quality from Square-Enix shared by gamers in Japan or is it just a western thing? Also would Square-Enix and it's employees be aware of what people think of them? If I was Toriyama I would curl up in the foetal position and cry myself to sleep after reading some of the stuff written about me. Lol.

To be fair, I think Japan love FF XIII. That is why we are getting 3 games with Lightning in it :/

Now I know you ain't serious. 4 Warriors of Light is hot. fuckin. garbage.
I thought it was excellent - a true return to form. And the crown system was a lot of fun to use.

Of course, this was coming off the heels of Dissidia and a crapload of Crystal Chronicles games and I happened to be clamoring for some traditional Final Fantasy at the time.

shink

Dude that's pretty uncalled for. I mean, I'm not a fan of the guy at all, and am glad he's leaving, and will talk him down in our discussions till I'm blue in the face. But, I don't think we should be harassing him, or trying to send rude messages to him.

The dude oversaw the deterioration of a once great game company. It sucks, but he was just a crappy CEO. He didn't do anything evil or malicious.

I agree with all of this. Thank you

Dali

To be fair, I think Japan love FF XIII. That is why we are getting 3 games with Lightning in it :/

I thought the reason for the first was sequel was because it would be easy to use the engine and assets from XIII to turn a profit and the second sequel was because Toriyama has an unhealthy affection for Lightning.

DJIzana

Man... seriously? The guy WILL get over it. I'm sure he'll probably even get a better job. He's the Japanese version of JR. Seriously... I can see why EA fans were so happy when JR left.

faridmon

I thought the reason for the first was sequel was because it would be easy to use the engine and assets from XIII to turn a profit and the second sequel was because Toriyama has an unhealthy affection for Lightning.

Lightning pretty much won every poll the fans voted for what it was the best FF character of all time. Granted, its a small poll within the hardcore gamers in Japan, but nevertheless, it showed that Lightning is still popular amongst the fans over there. Of course, the games being greenlit is dependent on how profitable they can turn, but why base all your games on Lighting?

We need duckroll to answer this

Rpgmonkey

Interesting.

A number of the top people on the Japanese side of the company have done a poor job of managing large-scale endeavors, hopefully these changes are a big step towards fixing this.

Rinoa

32293793.jpg

Since Wada was president, you've gotten -

(cut list)

..real enough?

And after Wada is gone we will get

Versus
KH3

I'm good.

Top Bottom