• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: Yoichi Wada resigns as Square Enix CEO, likely being replaced by CFO

kenjisalk

Their problem is they can't seem to get ahold of their freaking budgets and get games out in a timely fashion. When you spend 3-4 years on a game after constant delays and the laborious creation of custom engines, it gets to the point where there's no reasonable way to turn a profit.

The fact that Tomb Raider moved 3.4mil already and is considered a failure is preposterous, even with the brand recognition.

There's something very rotten at the heart of this company, and it all started when they began to run off all their core talent that made them successful in the first place.

Ravage

32293793.jpg

And after Wada is gone we will get

Versus
KH3

I'm good.

Not yet. It's not a complete victory until someone fires Toriyama's ass.

kenjisalk

You guys realize that Wada and Toriyama are but cogs in the corporate machine, and that Wada's exit tells us next to nothing about the direction of this company, right?

MechaX

I think it's less that it sold well and more that they personally wanted to.

Gotta use up all of those assets somehow.

Really depends on who you ask. Some people think that XIII-2's sales were good enough to justify a third based on the current market (and not juxtaposed to X-2's sales). Personally, I think only getting less than half of the original fanbase on-board isn't all that great in the grand scheme of things. And XIII-3 seemingly manages to only try to attract a subset of people who liked XIII-2 (and also liked XIII) by aiming at the "Lightning crowd" alone.

You guys realize that Wada and Toriyama are but cogs in the corporate machine, and that Wada's exit tells us next to nothing about the direction of this company, right?

If they are serious about this management shakeup (which they might be, when considering that they didn't even wait for XIV 2.0 to bomb before booting Wada), it actually might.

kenjisalk

If they are serious about this management shakeup (which they might be, when considering that they didn't even wait for XIV 2.0 to bomb before booting Wada), it actually might.

Right, but that all depends on what happens after this, the sole resignation of Wada doesn't really confirm anything other than he's taking the fall for these losses.

I thought the reason for the first was sequel was because it would be easy to use the engine and assets from XIII to turn a profit and the second sequel was because Toriyama has an unhealthy affection for Lightning.

XIII wouldn't be HALF as divisive as it stands currently if XIV wasn't cancer and a XV was nearing release. Hell, we would probably be seeing a few "LTTP: FFXIII" threads from once haters going back over it with a different view now that the heat's off that game to be all-great to all people.

We didn't get that. We only got the sequels. And a busted ass MMO. And no Versus. And no once-Agito-supposedly-great-fuck-if-the-rest-of-the-world-can-find-out-for-themselves-Type 0. And no Bravely Default. FFXIII is STILL the face of FF. STILL.

I keep saying this, but the Lightning situation for many is apathy overstaying its welcome till it becomes hatred. The games she's in follow suit.

Zafir

XIII wouldn't be HALF as divisive as it stands currently if XIV wasn't cancer and a XV was nearing release. Hell, we would probably be seeing a few "LTTP: FFXIII" threads from once haters going back over it with a different view now that the heat's off that game to be all-great to all people.
Pretty much. I remember Final Fantasy XII was really divisive as well across the internet on its release. Now that game is considered one of the greatest JRPGs from last gen.

I didn't actually mind FFXIII, but I still think XIII-2 was an absolute waste of time, and something that I never really wanted.

CorvoSol

Okay Square, no take down Toriyama and I'm 1/3 of the way toward forgiving you.

the other two thirds are localizing Bravely Default and Type-0 and reviving Mana and Chrono to their former glory.

Persona86

Banned
Okay Square, no take down Toriyama and I'm 1/3 of the way toward forgiving you.

the other two thirds are localizing Bravely Default and Type-0 and reviving Mana and Chrono to their former glory.

Toriyama has his own unique skills, but directing and story telling is NOT one of them IMO, well at least it's not to my taste, that's for sure.

What was?

Every other game they deemed more financially viable.

An audience that was turning far more western in its taste.

Rocketing game budgets.

Wada wasn't sitting at a desk firing e-mails saying "If you finish Versus XIII or start KH3 I will fire you."

He probably wanted those games out the door or being shown to the press but he trusted people below him too much in the assumption that they knew what they were doing with those titles.

Thanks to Wada we got a bunch of junk instead of:

- An actually good FF XIII with towns
-FF 7 remake
-FF Vs 13
-Kingdom Hearts 3
-An announcement of FF XVI a next gen single player FF for PS4
-A whole new slate of exciting games going forward

A real shame what could have been

And ultimately... who drove those decisions?

Sure. Was Wada a big contributing factor for why Versus XIII still hasn't been marketed properly or gotten any info since 2011? Probably. But I think it is more complex then, "Oh all of Versus problems is Wada's fault". I think it's all a mix of:

- Inter-office politics between Kitase, Hashimoto, Toriyama, Nomura and other upper management.
- Nomura's perfectionism
- Marketing and PR prioritizing marketing XIII sequels and other games a majority of fans do not want instead of Versus.
- Managements delay of putting the game into full production and sustaining the team so as to complete the game in a timely manner

... And probably a number of other problems we will never learn about.

Every other game they deemed more financially viable.

An audience that was turning far more western in its taste.

Rocketing game budgets.

Wada wasn't sitting at a desk firing e-mails saying "If you finish Versus XIII or start KH3 I will fire you."

He probably wanted those games out the door or being shown to the press but he trusted people below him too much in the assumption that they knew what they were doing with those titles.
You left out Crystal Tools being a bust.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Is Wada viewed negatively by Japanese gamers?

You left out Crystal Tools being a bust.
The little engine that couldn't.

I think they should have stayed with UT3, since they managed to make The Last Remnant in a good amount of time. They just needed to give it more time so that they could finally work with it on the PS3.

Nah, I liked XIII by the end of it but even at launch long-time fans of the series struggled to truly endorse it. Controversial decisions regarding the emptieness of the world aside, the way the game stays in tutorial mode for the MAJORITY OF THE FUCKING GAME is disgusting. You're like, 2/3 through the game before gameplay options such as selecting your party open up? What were they thinking?

Nah, I liked XIII by the end of it but even at launch long-time fans of the series struggled to truly endorse it. Controversial decisions regarding the emptieness of the world aside, the way the game stays in tutorial mode for the MAJORITY OF THE FUCKING GAME is disgusting. You're like, 2/3 through the game before gameplay options such as selecting your party open up? What were they thinking?

You and I are not who will make those threads. But they would've been made. This changes nothing in my prediction. It's happened with just about every mainline entry.

While you're right, the hope is that his exit is an indication of a change in the entire direction that SE's heading in. It's hard to imagine Wada gone without some sort of a shake-up to follow.

Nairume

Banned
Thanks to Wada we got a bunch of junk instead of:

- An actually good FF XIII with towns
-FF 7 remake
-FF Vs 13
-Kingdom Hearts 3
-An announcement of FF XVI a next gen single player FF for PS4
-A whole new slate of exciting games going forward

A real shame what could have been

You are joking, right?

Eusis

SE's the one that took it upon itself to practically remake every FF except for the one that fans actually asked for. (Probably cause they deep down knew how crappy their original new output had been.)
They also didn't put a quarter of the time and money into those as they would have for the remake people wanted from FFVII. This is the other reason that tech demo was damning, if it weren't for that I could see a lower end one being done for PSP, new backgrounds in order to fit widescreen, and updated character models. It's all I would've wanted, beyond a translation that was actually on par with their later standards anyway. But now that they screwed up and got everyone worked up on frothing demand it's go all in or only re-release.

Dalthien

The Final Fantasy stuff is interesting to ponder, but the actual comments about the revised forecast deal with the western side.

“The Company forecasts that actual business results from its Digital Entertainment Segment substantially fall below its plan primarily due to slow sales of major console game titles in North American and European markets."

Square Enix is specifically focusing on the poor performance of the Eidos titles dragging them down this fiscal year. It was Wada who oversaw the purchase of Eidos, and it was Wada who steered Square Enix towards a much more western focused philosophy as a publisher. That focus on the west has been a complete bust thus far.

I find the timing of this resignation to be far more related to the failure of the Eidos acquisition to actually generate any profits, and the continued failure of their focus on the west thus far. I imagine that's where we'd be more likely to see some significant shake-up happen due to this resignation.

They also didn't put a quarter of the time and money into those as they would have for the remake people wanted from FFVII. This is the other reason that tech demo was damning, if it weren't for that I could see a lower end one being done for PSP, new backgrounds in order to fit widescreen, and updated character models. It's all I would've wanted, beyond a translation that was actually on par with their later standards anyway. But now that they screwed up and got everyone worked up on frothing demand it's go all in or only re-release.

Of course I'd ideally love for a full-blown, monster console remake, a la the FFVII tech demo on the PS3 for its time. But honestly, I'd be happy with an "up-make" of sorts for the Vita or 3DS. But no, apparently SE felt FFXIII-3 needed to be made instead. :/

Acrylic7

Of course I'd ideally love for a full-blown, monster console remake, a la the FFVII tech demo on the PS3 for its time. But honestly, I'd be happy with an "up-make" of sorts for the Vita or 3DS. But no, apparently SE felt FFXIII-3 needed to be made instead. :/

please no FF7 remake, just please lave it alone. If people want to play perfection then just play it as it is.

please no FF7 remake, just please lave it alone. If people want to play perfection then just play it as it is.

Aesthetically, VII could legitimately use an update. I love its clumsy-cute graphics, but the game will have new life injected into it if it gets a PS3 tech-demo caliber, or even OoT 3DS style update.

anaron

don't you want to see a Gackt inserted HD Nibelheim sequence?

Aesthetically, VII could legitimately use an update. I love its clumsy-cute graphics, but the game will have new life injected into it if it gets a PS3 tech-demo caliber, or even OoT 3DS style update.

any sort of remake from the people at S-E will fail entirely in making it resemble the original

We live in exciting times. Will things get better? Or worse? Or will Square behave exactly the same in order to appease shareholders?
that's what they're doing right?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The only reason I don't want an FF7 remake is because that Genesis horseshit will be shoehorned into it. No thank you.
Yup. That, and I don't think they'd be able to fit some of the stuff I liked in there. There is no way that they won't shoehorn the compilation bs in there. They have to at this point, to lead into AC and DoC... and to come from CC.

I'd rather have a worldwide version of Before Crisis for portables or something. *shrug*

duckroll

Reworking Before Crisis with higher quality spritework and backgrounds and releasing it digitally on all portable platforms (3DS/Vita/iOS/Android) with a unified server and account would be one of the more interesting things S-E could do.

Which is to say, they'll never do it.

Yup. That, and I don't think they'd be able to fit some of the stuff I liked in there. There is no way that they won't shoehorn the compilation bs in there. They have to at this point, to lead into AC and DoC... and to come from CC.

I'd rather have a worldwide version of Before Crisis for portables or something. *shrug*

At this point, I'd rather they just re-release FF7 as is, but with the controls fixed and *maybe* the translation touched up a bit.

Top Bottom