• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

watershed

Banned
I think this Link who seems to be a failed Link is from a new conflict we haven't heard about or actually played in a game. I feel like Nintendo does that partly to create further separation between Zelda games and to add to the many legends of zelda,

Neiteio

I think this Link who seems to be a failed Link is from a new conflict we haven't heard about or actually played in a game. I feel like Nintendo does that partly to create further separation between Zelda games and to add to the many legends of zelda,
Yep, this is what I'm thinking.

I still think the Koroks being there connects the game somehow to WW / Pre-WW. Also Ganon looking more like a ghost demon without a real body could mean something.
In OoT he was imprisoned as Ganondorf, while in TP and WW his human form was "killed".

E: And since the direct sequels to WW feature different demon-entities, i'm inclined to think that good ol' Dorf was killed for good in WW.

Killyoh

I still think the Koroks being there connects the game somehow to WW / Pre-WW. Also Ganon looking more like a ghost demon without a real body could mean something.
Isn't there items linked to an ancient sea in the game? Definitely post-Wind Waker.

This Ganon though... Could it be the spirit of Ganon
who came out from his stabbed head
?

Isn't there items linked to an ancient sea in the game? Definitely post-Wind Waker.

This Ganon though... Could it be the spirit of Ganon
who came out from his stabbed head
?
Was one of my first thoughts, too. But two things bug me.

First, the fact that a chosen hero was alive (yet sleeping) during WW and another Link had to become the hero, which goes against that incarnation stuff of the games, because there would have been 2 Links as incarnations of the first hero.

Second, post-WW left Dorf, Zelda and Link without their Triforce parts, and had Link and Zelda leave Hyrule for new lands to settle. Yet someone keeps Ganonghost locked up in a new Hyrule castle, and going by the "lore" the only one able to do that would be Zelda, as a sage with the power of the Triforce part. It's a bit of a strecht imo, that after finding new lands, everyone just goes back to the water-free Hyrule.

Also would be one hell of a timeframe, Link sleeping 100 years, during the following happened: Hyrule going down, flooding, rise of the new hero, heroes leaving, Hyrule is freed from the ocean, resettled and Ganon coming back yet again.

watershed

Banned
In OoT he was imprisoned as Ganondorf, while in TP and WW his human form was "killed".

E: And since the direct sequels to WW feature different demon-entities, i'm inclined to think that good ol' Dorf was killed for good in WW.

It can be in the WW timeline but be a new Link from a different "legend" in that timeline. This Link isn't any Link we've played as before. Part of the story will be discovering who he is and what happened in his story between him, Zelda, and Ganon, hence all the "try to remember" stuff. It's not "try to remember WW," it's try to remember so that the player can discover the story alongside this new Link.

klier

Guys, in the 'Zeltik' Youtube vids the game usually starts off at night, with a starry sky.

Is this really in the game, this beautiful night sky with the moon, and stars and clouds? Or did they somehow edit the image?

hawthorneluke

Neo Member
Guys, in the 'Zeltik' Youtube vids the game usually starts off at night, with a starry sky.

Is this really in the game, this beautiful night sky with the moon, and stars and clouds? Or did they somehow edit the image?

Check his other videos. He shows it off it in full there and states that someone made it for him if my memory serves me correctly.

Edit: made by himself apparently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLCrKmVdjuQ

TheMoon

thought it's pretty obvious that this was a heavily edited version of the E3 2014 "still" that everyone should've had imprinted on the inside of their eyelids by now ^^

ReyVGM

If anyone gets to play the game soon, try getting as many stamella mushrooms as possible, then cooking them to make stuff that gives you more stamina. Then try climbing down the wall off the great plateau. With enough stamina boosters you should be able to climb down the wall!

takriel

If anyone gets to play the game soon, try getting as many stamella mushrooms as possible, then cooking them to make stuff that gives you more stamina. Then try climbing down the wall off the great plateau. With enough stamina boosters you should be able to climb down the wall!
That would be awesome. But I doubt they let you do that in the demo. Maybe in the full game it's possible?

RagnarokX

There are a few problems with the theory that this Link is the same Link from OoT, set in the Fallen Link timeline.

1) Ganon's Castle completely destroyed Hyrule Castle in OoT. By the time Link goes to confront Ganonorf at the end of OoT, Hyrule Castle is already gone. So if this was in the timeline where Link falls in the final battle, there should be no traces of Hyrule Castle (Eastern Abbey included) since Ganon's Castle already destroyed it.

2) Calamity Ganon is shackled to a new Hyrule Castle, separate from the old one. If this is the Fallen Link timeline, where did this second castle come from, and how did they get Ganon to leave Ganon's Castle so he could become trapped in the second castle? And what then became of Ganon's Castle?

While it's the least interesting timeline, this actually makes me think this game might be in the child Link timeline (Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess), since Hyrule Castle wasn't completely destroyed there. It would've still been around to leave some signs it once existed. As the castle fell apart, a new castle was created. Ganon reappeared, a battle took place, Link failed that battle (different from the one in OoT), went into hibernation, and someone trapped Ganon in the new castle.

In other words:

I think this game will introduce a past conflict where Link fails and Ganon is trapped in a castle... but it won't be a conflict we've seen before. If they make it the same conflict from OoT, they'll have to do some serious retconning to explain how Hyrule Castle wasn't completely destroyed by Ganon's Castle, and how Ganon was lured into a second castle on the other side of Hyrule, and where that second castle came from when Ganon was in control of Ganon's Castle.

My heart wants this to be the third timeline (Fallen Link, coming straight off OoT), but my head is not convinced.

The castle thing is the only issue, and compared to every other theory it's minor. Twilight princess only takes place 100-200 years after OoT, yet Hyrule Castle is completely different and in a different place, the Temple of Time has been moved to the forest. There's a new Kakariko Village and the old Kakariko Village is nowhere where it should be. There's the Arbiter's Grounds, which is clearly TP's version of the Spirit Temple, but TP has a cutscene showing Ganon's execution there long ago closer to OoT's time. TP explains none of these things.

We really have no details about what happened in the Fallen Hero version of OoT. All we know is that Ganondorf captured Zelda and Link fell in the following fight. Ganon obtained his full power and became a god. Zelda and the sages sealed Ganon and the complete Triforce as a last resort.

I found it interesting while looking through Hyrule Historia that on page 90 they describe how things went down in the OoT we all know and for Link's fight with Ganondorf they used this artwork:
HZk98zEl.jpg

Two pages later they introduce the Fallen Hero timeline by saying very briefly that the Hero of Time was defeated by Ganondorf. They depict this with this artwork:
tJfiRLxl.jpg

So in the Fallen Hero version of the fight they removed Ganon's Castle from the background. It's possible in this timeline's version of events Ganon's Castle never happened.

If we assume Ganon's Castle did happen in this timeline, there are multiple solutions:
1. Hyrule Caslte was not completely destroyed. Ganon's Castle actually sits on Hyrule Castle's front lawn and there's space for Hyrule Castle to still exist on the hills surrounding Ganon's Castle.

2. Ganon's Castle was Hyrule Castle transformed by magic and when Zelda used her powers to trap Ganon it transformed back into Hyrule Castle.

3. The Sheikah built a new Hyrule Castle around Zelda and Ganon while they were building those 4 giant pillars around the castle.

-----------------------------

Child Timeline before TP has major issues. The details about what happened between OoT and TP aren't very vague. Ganondorf was a theif who invaded Hyrule. He was captured and banished to the Twilight Realm, and then TP happened 100 years later. The sages and Ganon himself didn't know where he got the triforce of power from.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I actually think that you could climb down the wall without stamina boosters. If you look at this video https://youtu.be/JpyFrsKUrvU?t=18m3s (at 18:00 minutes if the timestamp doesn't work), there are a few slopes that are horizontal enough for Link to stand on. I imagine that there's at least a few areas on the plateau where you could abuse this and Skyrim your way down the mountain.

MajorMane

Why is Link right handed in BotW? Just noticed this.

It's a design decision, no less, no more:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-zelda-breath-of-the-wilds-link-is-right-handed/1100-6440870/
Outside of a mirrored version of Link in Twilight Princess for Wii, which made Link right-handed in order to replicate the Wii's motion controller layout, Link is typically portrayed as left-handed. However, watching gameplay of Breath of the Wild, you'll notice the Hero of Time is once again right-handed.

Aonuma explained, "In terms of right-handedness of things, when we think about which hand Link is going to use, we think about the control scheme. With the gamepad, the buttons you'll be using to swing the sword are on the right side, and thus he's right-handed."

I'm not sure if anyone has been obsessed over this game like I have and watched (and watched again) all of the Treehouse Live videos and direct feeds from other sites. I can't get enough of this game world and all of the items!

As I was watching the various videos, many times the players would press the buttons so quick that I was missing what items they were picking up. I began to pause the videos and take screenshots of the various items. Pretty soon I had a collection of them and decided I may as well compile them and post them.

I organized the items the same way the inventory screen in the game does. I'm shocked at how many items are in the E3 demo. I know I must have missed some as I'm still working my way through some other videos, but hopefully I'll find them all eventually. I can't wait for this game!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Not gonna lie. That was pretty good.

A couple of mind-blowing moments there. Doesn't really answer why Hyrule Castle is okay, seemingly where it should be on the map when there are ruins of said Castle on the Great Plateau.

I'm still of the opinion, and hope, that BotW takes place after the Adventure of Link. The castle we see in the game would be the North Castle from that game, where sleeping Zelda resided. While the plateau from BotW would be the old Hyrule Kingdom, which would make it a part of or near the area of the original LoZ.

Basically if you look at the map of BotW it could easily be seen as a mixing of the LoZ/AoL map and the OoT map. Old OoT Hyrule has been moved SW some and rotated a little bit, while AoL map has been filled in a bit in terms of water ways and conformed to the greater series layout we've seen, with the biggest change being Death Mountain moving from the western center of the map to the N-NE part of the map.

Plus that Link it technically ambidextrous, due to sprite mirroring, for all you salty devil hands and purists.

En-ou

Lol at some of you otakus with your six layer story theories. Nintendo don't give a shit about story. They design the game and then simply toss in some half ass story to make sense of it.

The castle thing is the only issue, and compared to every other theory it's minor. Twilight princess only takes place 100-200 years after OoT, yet Hyrule Castle is completely different and in a different place, the Temple of Time has been moved to the forest.

Hell, the TP castle seems to blow up during the final Ganon battle yet is back in even more pristine condition by the end of the credits sequence.

Tookay

I found it interesting while looking through Hyrule Historia that on page 90 they describe how things went down in the OoT we all know and for Link's fight with Ganondorf they used this artwork:

Two pages later they introduce the Fallen Hero timeline by saying very briefly that the Hero of Time was defeated by Ganondorf. They depict this with this artwork:

So in the Fallen Hero version of the fight they removed Ganon's Castle from the background. It's possible in this timeline's version of events Ganon's Castle never happened.

I think you're looking at this waayyyyyyyyy too deeply.

The simplest way to tell this story is to have a new Link who rediscovers what happened 100 years ago - events that we are completely unfamiliar with. They're not going to tie his backstory down to a failure to stop Ganon in OoT. There's no mystery or intrigue in that; there are no revelations to be gathered from such a reveal. We'd already know what the story is. Why bother telling it?

RagnarokX

I think you're looking at this waayyyyyyyyy too deeply.

The simplest way to tell this story is to have a new Link who rediscovers what happened 100 years ago - events that we are completely unfamiliar with. They're not going to tie his backstory down to a failure to stop Ganon in OoT. There's no mystery or intrigue in that; there are no revelations to be gathered from such a reveal. We'd already know what the story is. Why bother telling it?

So Ocarina of Time was a bad idea or never happened? It was made to tell a story we already knew. ALttP told the story well enough; Much better than than Hyrule Historia tells what happened in the Fallen Hero events of OoT. We knew that Ganondorf was a theif from the desert who went to the sacred realm to steal the Triforce and he was sealed in the Sacred Realm. And then they decided to make a game about it.

The simplest way to tell this story is to use OoT as the backstory so they don't have to explain as much. They can just reference it vaguely with text in a few lines of dialog and never have to make a cutscene for it.

And there's plenty of mystery and intrigue in it. We don't know how it happened. Many people consider it "bullshit" and it deserves a better explanation. The events of the game itself would be mostly new territory as it would turn a very open-ended sentence about sealing Ganon into a full adventure of its own. We'd know that by the end of the game Ganon will be sealed just like we knew that that's how OoT would have to end, but what happens on the way? What new characters will we meet? What must Link do this time facing against a Ganondorf who has the complete Triforce and hasn't been defeated before? Will people die?

Nosgotham

I'm still of the opinion, and hope, that BotW takes place after the Adventure of Link. The castle we see in the game would be the North Castle from that game, where sleeping Zelda resided. While the plateau from BotW would be the old Hyrule Kingdom, which would make it a part of or near the area of the original LoZ.

Basically if you look at the map of BotW it could easily be seen as a mixing of the LoZ/AoL map and the OoT map. Old OoT Hyrule has been moved SW some and rotated a little bit, while AoL map has been filled in a bit in terms of water ways and conformed to the greater series layout we've seen, with the biggest change being Death Mountain moving from the western center of the map to the N-NE part of the map.

Plus that Link it technically ambidextrous, due to sprite mirroring, for all you salty devil hands and purists.

my thoughts exactly.

Luigiv

Also I'm a little suss on the idea that BotW is quite that big. Having watched a bunch of videos now, the scale used seems off. 2km across feels like an over estimation.

So uh apparently the Dev team for this game is around 300 people (over the life span with 100 people in constant active development) which is ridiculous for a Nintendo game. Curious to see how that pans out.

Trace

Banned
The scale is definitely off in that video. Would end up with too much random empty space.

I did lol at the "Breath of the Wild is poised to take over from Ocarina of Time as the best game of all time" bit though.

This theory is just something I thought and it's dumb because it's late and you know those late night thoughts. BUUUUT, I think it would be really cool if this is a link we haven't played before. Meaning, Nintendo could theoretically make a prequel to this game showing the origins of this link and the events that happened prior in which led him to go into cryostasis. Show a world not ravaged by war, completely shifted economies and problems. Reflecting a grander version of A link to the Past and other games with two versions of the same world.
I don't know, but it would be interesting.

RagnarokX

This theory is just something I thought and it's dumb because it's late and you know those late night thoughts. BUUUUT, I think it would be really cool if this is a link we haven't played before. Meaning, Nintendo could theoretically make a prequel to this game showing the origins of this link and the events that happened prior in which led him to go into cryostasis. Show a world not ravaged by war, completely shifted economies and problems. Reflecting a grander version of A link to the Past and other games with two versions of the same world.
I don't know, but it would be interesting.

Well, Aonuma said they were thinking about exploring a multiplayer Zelda after this. I was thinking that BotW could be a good game to set that up if it's 100 years after OoT in the Fallen Hero timeline. The Imprisoning War would be the next big event in that timeline, so they could set that up as a sequel to BotW and a prequel to ALttP. Since the Imprisoning War is implied to not have a Hero you could play as a Knight of Hyrule.

takriel

So uh apparently the Dev team for this game is around 300 people (over the life span with 100 people in constant active development) which is ridiculous for a Nintendo game. Curious to see how that pans out.
Didn't Skyward Sword have similar dev sizes though?

RagnarokX

Thats a ridicilous answer. Maybe it will make more sense when we see the NX Controller.

They probably designed the game so that it would be possible to implement motion controls even if they ended up not implementing them at all. Imagine if halfway through development they decided they wanted to put wii remote controls in the game; they'd have to mirror the game again like Twilight Princess.

Phoenixus

Could many of the Links be ambidextrous? Just generally favour the sword in their left hand but not have any trouble with a reverse setup? Hero of Time Link uses the hookshot in his right hand after all.
And has it ever been stated by Nintendo or official sources that a year in Zelda terms is the same as a year in our own? The passage of time does seem to flow a lot quicker in the games. Majoras Mask being a key example.

Hermii

They probably designed the game so that it would be possible to implement motion controls even if they ended up not implementing them at all. Imagine if halfway through development they decided they wanted to put wii remote controls in the game; they'd have to mirror the game again like Twilight Princess.

This theory makes sense :)

Phoenixus

Commonwealth realm actually posted a pretty compelling theory to support that idea. Fallen hero of wind timeline.

Yeah, I liked that theory too, despite the issues with it (oot Castle ruins as mentioned, though there's nothing saying they couldn't have rebuilt it with the same blueprint specifications, and Ganondorf destroyed it again after making his wish on the triforce). This hero would likely be the Hero of Winds if that is the case.

Luigiv

Yeah, I liked that theory too, despite the issues with it (oot Castle ruins as mentioned, though there's nothing saying they couldn't have rebuilt it with the same blueprint specifications, and Ganondorf destroyed it again after making his wish on the triforce). This hero would likely be the Hero of Winds if that is the case.

Yeah I totally don't expect it to happen, but it does fit surprising well for the most part. Also a fourth timeline would be hilarious.

Edit: Also now that I'm back at my PC, here's a link for those who want to know what the hell we're talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWi0RJVHcZ0

MajorMane

Lol at some of you otakus with your six layer story theories. Nintendo don't give a shit about story. They design the game and then simply toss in some half ass story to make sense of it.

Well, yeah, gameplay is important first and foremost I think to a Zelda game, but Aonuma has consistently shown that he does care about the timeline and overall story of the Zelda games. He's the chief editor for Hyrule Historia meaning that that's the official stance on the timeline from the developers. If they didn't give a shit, they'd never have even bothered putting that out there.

This game will introduce a fourth timeline and you'll like it

This will happen and all the theory-crafting will be for nought. (It's been fun either way, so I'm interested to see where the game fits in no matter what.)

Could many of the Links be ambidextrous? Just generally favour the sword in their left hand but not have any trouble with a reverse setup? Hero of Time Link uses the hookshot in his right hand after all.
And has it ever been stated by Nintendo or official sources that a year in Zelda terms is the same as a year in our own? The passage of time does seem to flow a lot quicker in the games. Majoras Mask being a key example.

Regarding the ambidextrous part, I would say so. In the 2D games, technically Link often switches the hand he holds his sword in based on which direction you're walking. I see no reason why the others couldn't be.

And I'd say time moves far different in the Zelda universe than the real world. 100 years is enough to move landscapes, destroy and rebuild buildings far away, and for entire civilizations or stories to disappear. Zelda time moves at its own pace.

Hakai

Isn't the buttons to use the sword always on the right?

It seems to me like he is avoiding actually answering the question than a true serious response.

I don't think this Link is any of past Links exactly because he is right handed. The only canonical right handed Link is Skyward Sword one, but is impossible to be him, since Ganon and Hyrule kingdom are already established in BoTW.

MajorMane

It seems to me like he is avoiding actually answering the question than a true serious response.

I don't think this Link is any of past Links exactly because he is right handed. The only canonical right handed Link is Skyward Sword one, but is impossible to be him, since Ganon and Hyrule kingdom are already established in BoTW.

Oh yeah, it's not a good response, but it's one that's very possible to me. (Nintendo and by extension Aonuma have made quirky design decisions in the past for weird reasons.)

But if that really is the reason why he's right-handed, I don't think it's fair to discount any of the previous Link's based on "canon" left-handedness or right-handedness. Furthermore, it would seem that several of the Links are actually ambidextrous, muddying the water even more.

If this is a Link we've seen before (and that's a big if), then the hand he holds his sword in shouldn't matter in the decision based on Aonuma's comment on handedness in this game.

Luigiv

I think it's more to do with the fact the shield is on ZL whilst the bow is on ZR, than the sword button. Either way it does seem like an overly pedantic reason (I'd also argue that Link didn't need to be right handed in the Wii games either, but that's a story for another day).

RagnarokX

Oh yeah, it's not a good response, but it's one that's very possible to me. (Nintendo and by extension Aonuma have made quirky design decisions in the past for weird reasons.)

But if that really is the reason why he's right-handed, I don't think it's fair to discount any of the previous Link's based on "canon" left-handedness or right-handedness. Furthermore, it would seem that several of the Links are actually ambidextrous, muddying the water even more.

If this is a Link we've seen before (and that's a big if), then the hand he holds his sword in shouldn't matter in the decision based on Aonuma's comment on handedness in this game.

Plus if it was due to motion controls Aonuma wouldn't say it because it would cause them more headaches. People would start asking if the game supports the wii remote, start rumors about the NX controller, etc.

I don't see them making Link lefty on consoles again unless motion controls are completely off the table. They wouldn't want to have to mirror an entire world again.

Top Bottom