• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

TheMoon

GI: During the demo, you hinted that there are a couple larger dungeon areas and bosses in the game. How do those differentiate from the shrines that are scattered throughout the world and what are the benefits of the shrines?
Aonuma: As I mentioned earlier in the presentation, if you go to the shrines some of the items you get will increase the growth potential for Link in terms of the amount of hearts you get or the increase in the amount of stamina gauge you get. And speaking about the bigger dungeons with bosses they actually serve a completely different purpose than the shrines and so the reason that Link has to go to those dungeons is different than the reason he has to go to the shrines.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/t...nd-why-nintendo-wasnt-inspired-by-skyrim.aspx

Dungeon debate settled. Also stamina and heart upgrade debate settled.

GI: The item upgrades sound like they were connected to these runes and the tablet you get at the beginning of the game? Are all item upgrades connected to these runes? How does that change the game's design when you're creating these new items?
Aonuma: In past Zelda titles there's a lot of useful and convenient items, and when we were building Zelda before we thought if they had it from the beginning people aren't going to appreciate it, its only after going through all these trials and tribulations and then you finally get the item you're really happy. So that's why we kind of held off on giving items out until the end. But we kind of did away with all of that and kind of redid the conventions of Zelda in that way, so you know, if its that much fun using it why not hand it to the player in the beginning? But as you saw, to a certain extent if you navigate through the shrines you get most of the items you would need to navigate through the world. But then when you get to a certain point you'll need to upgrade that and it expands where you're able to access and where you're able to go. So there's definitely a sense of growth and exploration there that you'll be able to experience later.

They were only at the 4th shrine in the E3 demo and it was already as complex as a small dungeon. I can't wait to see how crazy the actual dungeons are! And the bosses! If the overwold bosses are tough, dungeon bosses must be insane, plus they no longer have the 3 hit pattern either!

mr.beers

They were only at the 4th shrine in the E3 demo and it was already as complex as a small dungeon. I can't wait to see how crazy the actual dungeons are! And the bosses! If the overwold bosses are tough, dungeon bosses must be insane, plus they no longer have the 3 hit pattern either!

These shrines feel like the type of diversity of design we got from Mario Galaxy 1/2 where every level had a new idea(gimmick some would say) that felt fresh for one level/shrine but maybe wouldn't fit in a full dungeon. I like the idea of shrines and some of the creativity in just the few have seen really gets me excited. Difficulty has needed a bump up and I welcome the challenge.

ReyVGM

Hopefully shrines act as training spots for dungeons.

You enter the dungeon and you're supposed to use everything you've learned from previous shrines. Oh, you didn't enter enough shrines? Then you won't have the knowledge or tricks to finish the dungeon.

majik13

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/t...nd-why-nintendo-wasnt-inspired-by-skyrim.aspx

GI: The item upgrades sound like they were connected to these runes and the tablet you get at the beginning of the game? Are all item upgrades connected to these runes? How does that change the game's design when you're creating these new items?
Aonuma: In past Zelda titles there's a lot of useful and convenient items, and when we were building Zelda before we thought if they had it from the beginning people aren't going to appreciate it, its only after going through all these trials and tribulations and then you finally get the item you're really happy. So that's why we kind of held off on giving items out until the end. But we kind of did away with all of that and kind of redid the conventions of Zelda in that way, so you know, if its that much fun using it why not hand it to the player in the beginning? But as you saw, to a certain extent if you navigate through the shrines you get most of the items you would need to navigate through the world. But then when you get to a certain point you'll need to upgrade that and it expands where you're able to access and where you're able to go. So there's definitely a sense of growth and exploration there that you'll be able to experience later.

Was kind afraid of this. So pretty similar to ALBW. Im really hoping there are more(than one) Rune items to find or unlock later in the game, and not just these upgrades. But doesn't look too likely. Hopefully the expanded upgrades are worthwhile.

Oh, hey, finally footage of that seesaw/catapult action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch_i9ovV2KI

exsI59j5OQ9Ik.gif

The best explanation I've seen on where this game fits in the time line

https://youtu.be/nJMEpOiPZG8

Must watch

Man, if Nintendo actually went that route and put that much thought into the backstory of this, that would be amazing.
This was a very fun video to watch and as someone who isn't super familiar with the time line it was informative as he went through basic shit of the timeline.

The video already has people pointing some oversights as to links handedness.

I'd have to see the usual time between links but If only one link has been right handed has Nintendo not said whether he's a righty or lefty doesnt matter?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Must watch

I like it. Guy keeps talking about Skyloft having fallen tho, and that the Great Plateau is "obviously" it, except only one super tiny bit of Skyloft ever fell, basically the temple of the goddess. The rest stayed up there.

Other than that tho, sounds good to me. Makes more sense I think than this being the Fallen Link.

ReyVGM

Oh, hey, finally footage of that seesaw/catapult action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch_i9ovV2KI

You can tell the devs didn't even think you could do that since the camera doesn't even follow you correctly when you are launched. Hopefully Nintendo leaves that in and doesn't gimp it to avoid people breaking the game or something.

Bill Trinen said you could even levitate with magnesis. If you are standing on top of a metal object, you can't magnesis the object. But, if you take a metal object, and drop it on top of another metal object and get on top of that one, then you can magnesis the one below because the game won't count it as you being on top of it, and you'll be able to lift everything with you on top and float around.

Again, hopefully Nintendo doesn't gimp that because it seems you could abuse that to travel large sections. I wouldn't be against having some sort of time limit for the magnesis, that would prevent people from maybe abusing it too much?

You can tell the devs didn't even think you could do that since the camera doesn't even follow you correctly when you are launched.

Hopefully Nintendo leaves that in and doesn't gimp it to avoid people breaking the game or something.
Bill Trinen said you could even levitate with magnesis. If you are standing on top of a metal object, you can't magnesis the object. But, if you take a metal object, and drop it on top of another metal object and get on top of that one, then you can magnesis the one below because the game won't count it as you being on top of it, and you'll be able to lift everything with you on top and float around.

Again, hopefully Nintendo doesn't gimp that because it seems you could abuse that to travel large sections. I wouldn't be against having some sort of time limit for the magnesis, that would prevent people from maybe abusing it too much?
Levitation seems a bit too broken. A seesaw sounds fine and looks pretty cool

You can tell the devs didn't even think you could do that since the camera doesn't even follow you correctly when you are launched.

Hopefully Nintendo leaves that in and doesn't gimp it to avoid people breaking the game or something.

I hope they fix the camera so you can open your paraglider midair and see where you are going.

WPS

I wonder if the whole "you can access the final boss immediately if you're skilled" thing is a counter to things like that. Because there's only skill gates blocking anything, the game should be able to cope with any kind of sequence breaking. Thus the only thing the devs have to worry about is people ending up stuck in inescapable places.

I do feel it might actually hurt speed running though. You have all these crazy and entertaining tricks you can do but I'd be surprised if they're actually more effective than 'gitting gud' and just running straight at ganon with a stick.

That's only any% runs though. Completion runs will be a riot, I'm sure.

orioto

Good Art™
I wonder if the whole "you can access the final boss immediately if you're skilled" thing is a counter to things like that. Because there's only skill gates blocking anything, the game should be able to cope with any kind of sequence breaking. Thus the only thing the devs have to worry about is people ending up stuck in inescapable places.

I do feel it might actually hurt speed running though. You have all these crazy and entertaining tricks you can do but I'd be surprised if they're actually more effective than 'gitting gud' and just running straight at ganon with a stick.

That's only any% runs though. Completion runs will be a riot, I'm sure.

I don't know if there are thing like that in the game but it wouldn't be too hard to have things needed like keys to find to open doors etc.. to prevent people rushing, no ? Maybe they don't want that ?

WPS

I don't know if there are thing like that in the game but it wouldn't be too hard to have things needed like keys to find to open doors etc.. to prevent people rushing, no ? Maybe they don't want that ?

Eh, once a game gets this physics-y, even a solid wall isn't an impenetrable obstacle. It's just a matter of getting yourself launched at the wall with enough speed, or squishing yourself between the wall and enough physics objects. Collision detection is hard.

Considering how handhold-y Zelda games have been in the past, I'd be very surprised (but quite impressed) if letting people approach the end whenever they want (and probably get rekt) was a purely artistic decision.

These shrines feel like the type of diversity of design we got from Mario Galaxy 1/2 where every level had a new idea(gimmick some would say) that felt fresh for one level/shrine but maybe wouldn't fit in a full dungeon. I like the idea of shrines and some of the creativity in just the few have seen really gets me excited. Difficulty has needed a bump up and I welcome the challenge.
The reward for completing all 100th shrines should be the Monks recognizing Link as a Shrine Master and granting him the ability to create his own trials to share online.

The "Master Shrine" could be placed somewhere around Hyrule:

- A player can complete the side quest to find The Master Shrine.
- The quest is available to any player independently of having completed all shrines or not. So veryone can participate from the get go but not create.
- The trials available to a given player depends on the tools used to create the shrine and the ones he has available at that stage in the adventure.
- Then have game track the completition time. Basically a Mario Maker at a basic level in a small scale due to having less props and assets to combine.
- The Shrine Master puts an item reward (treasure, weapon, consumable) and custom message at the begining and end of each shrine.
- Upon completition of a user created shrine, the game pulls of the text prompt:
SHRINE GET!

This would be a type of player to player interaction that fits nice in a Zelda game.

Luigiv

Must watch

To summarise this video in two word it would be "over-analysis". He spends way too much time obsessing over little details that Nintendo themselves would not give a shit about. The Zelda team does whatever best serves the gameplay, continuity is an afterthought and they are not shy to retcon liberally. Can't help but feel he's missing the forest for the trees.

I dunno, maybe I'm being overly critical because I watched this hypothesis video directly beforehand and I feel it makes a much more convincing argument. Also I really want this to be true, just for the hilarity of all the extra mess this would add to the timeline.

MADGAME

To summarise this video in two word it would be "over-analysis". He spends way too much time obsessing over little details that Nintendo themselves would not give a shit about. The Zelda team does whatever best serves the gameplay, continuity is an afterthought and they are not shy to retcon liberally. Can't help but feel he's missing the forest for the trees.

I dunno, maybe I'm being overly critical because I watched this hypothesis video directly beforehand and I feel it makes a much more convincing argument. Also I really want this to be true, just for the hilarity of all the extra mess this would add to the timeline.

I tend to agree. Also, his point about the telepathic voice claiming Hyrule needs help "again" is used as a basis for an argument for a specific timeline Link. When I heard the voice say help is needed again, it didn't seem it referenced a specific link, but rather that Hyrule has been helped by heroes in the past and needs a hero's help yet again.

Who knows. We'll find out soon
and by soon I mean an excruciatingly long time

This is the way I have perceived the addition. Don't mind my self-congratulation :-D, but we actually did a podcast over a year ago and I completely predicted the existence of these shrines (I called them "mini-dungeons") and the fact that they would, in contrast to other open-world games, include more memorable and unique puzzle elements as well as comparably superior rewards. I was thrilled to see this come to life in the actual final product, as I feel it will provide a massive boost to the appeal of the open-world adventure formula.

To me, the most significant downfall of other open-world games has been the homogeneity and lack of purpose of these wayward and ubiquitous attractions. If Nintendo is able to effectively mitigate this sentiment, we could have a serious hit on our hands, both critically and commercially.

This is the way I have perceived the addition. Don't mind my self-congratulation :-D, but we actually did a podcast over a year ago and I completely predicted the existence of these shrines (I called them "mini-dungeons") and the fact that they would, in contrast to other open-world games, include more memorable and unique puzzle elements as well as comparably superior rewards. I was thrilled to see this come to life in the actual final product, as I feel it will provide a massive boost to the appeal of the open-world adventure formula.

To me, the most significant downfall of other open-world games has been the homogeneity and lack of purpose of these wayward and ubiquitous attractions. If Nintendo is able to effectively mitigate this sentiment, we could have a serious hit on our hands, both critically and commercially.

Well perceived!
It makes me wonder what will become of traditional dungeons, I expect that if they exist they will be mostly combat&boss focused.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
While I love the idea of shrines, the way I had always imagined them was more integrated into the world, not just a portal to a distinct Puzzle Room. I imagined a large crevasse in a cliff that you'd climb up into, and have puzzles and stuff cut into the rock. Natural formations and ancient ruins that you'd puzzle your way through, with no transition from the overworld. They'd be part of the overworld.

Still pretty neat, but could be neater.

Well perceived!
It makes me wonder what will become of traditional dungeons, I expect that if they exist they will be mostly combat&bosd focused.
Thanks! :)

My hope, and perhaps my prediction, for the full-blown dungeons is that they will feature far more adversarial puzzles and much more grandiose architecture and interconnected design than the shrines. I am hoping that they will twist the mind to leverage all of the powers earned navigating the world's shrines -- rather than confine their challenges to the exploitation of a single, particular item (as have past Zelda dungeons).

There is so much opportunity here. And by the same token, this could potentially be the most challenging Zelda game from a puzzle perspective in history.

While I love the idea of shrines, the way I had always imagined them was more integrated into the world, not just a portal to a distinct Puzzle Room. I imagined a large crevasse in a cliff that you'd climb up into, and have puzzles and stuff cut into the rock. Natural formations and ancient ruins that you'd puzzle your way through, with no transition from the overworld. They'd be part of the overworld.

There's always stuff like that in Zelda games even apart from the temples/puzzles; I know you mean something even more extensive but I don't think the puzzles will be restricted to the shrines. I do think it'd be a bummer if they mostly were, but I think there'll be more to the game.

Still pretty neat, but could be neater.

For sure, and perhaps there will be feature dungeons that still have that feel, shrine implementation clearly makes development simpler.

Top Bottom