• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st4bgxiOnL8

In this video we get our best look at the creature on Death mountain yet. The creature is crawling around the mountain and can be seen throughout the video. It appears to be spider-like at first but I spotted an interesting detail. The creature has a tail that's looking a bit like that of a scorpion. See my image. In the first picture the creature is seen from the front, in the second it is walking on the front of the mountain and you can see the tail hanging behind. The tail is best seen in the third picture. The creature has just crawled behind the mountain but it's huge tail is still hanging behind. This is definitely not a guardian, and it doesn't seem to be a spider either. My guess is a huge scorpion-like creature.

zzH9xi1.png

What if Death Mountain is one giant Guardian

I hope that the Guardians will offer many variations in battle, I don't want another "Imprisoned" situation. I also don't like their design that much, but they are Anouma's creature so the game is centered around them.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
ZeldaWiiU_1.jpg

A bit OT, but anyone knows where this place is in the map we know now? For the position of the twin peaks and death mountain I believe this area could be the far south-east on the map, near the coast and the big island..
It's safe to assume that that map doesn't exist in anyway shape or form inside the current game as it was just a target render video.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
It's safe to assume that that map doesn't exist in anyway shape or form inside the current game as it was just a target render video.
What? This trailer was released 2 years into the game's development. At that point they already have a good idea of what the map will look like.

sanstesy

Aonuma himself confirmed that that trailer was running in engine on a Wii U. That place was in the game at least at one point in time.

And it still is. You can see the twin peaks in the distance and in relation to where death mountain is placed it perfectly matches up with how the map is layed out in the latest footage.

Count in the fact that the area uses textures we've all seen already reused in the plateau area and it's probably one of the first locations they graphically polished in order to preview & reveal the game in 2014.

Samemind

What? This trailer was released 2 years into the game's development. At that point they already have a good idea of what the map will look like.

That was 2014, wasn't it? It's not impossible for some of the overworld to get a redesign in a 2-3 year time span. In fact, it's very likely a lot of stuff changed in that span of time, as this game is a big new venture for the team at Nintendo which would involve a lot experimentation.

Dekuboy

Neo Member
The only thing I want them do to with NiS is getting rid of that stupid popups. That´s it, It also can be 720p Idc, just no Pop-Ups please.

Nickle

That was 2014, wasn't it? It's not impossible for some of the overworld to get a redesign in a 2-3 year time span. In fact, it's very likely a lot of stuff changed in that span of time, as this game is a big new venture for the team at Nintendo which would involve a lot experimentation.
It's very likely that they have made a ton of small changes to the overworld over the course of the game's development, but I doubt they've changed it so drastically that the area from the 2014 trailer would be completely missing. After all, there are still several landmarks from that trailer that we can still see in the E3 2016 build.

Vibed

I feel like no one watched any of the E3 footage.

There is no WiiU screen or controller specific functionality for BotW.
I actually watched hours of it and read the discussion threads extensively. I just honestly forgot if the Wii U gamepad screen had any functions like a map or menu. I wasn't asking for specific functionality.

Crossing Eden

Aonuma himself confirmed that that trailer was running in engine on a Wii U. That place was in the game at least at one point in time.
I mean it was in-engine, but not playable, it was an animated movie playing in-engine. He confirmed this year it was used as reference for the game's mechanics due to the good reception the trailer got. Like every target render made for a game.

That's the opposite of how open world development works actually...I can almost 100% guarantee you that the map in that trailer isn't actually big but is actually incredibly small when you move the camera. The world in the actual game is way more vertical than in that 2014 scene.

Nickle

they did nothing

something was off with recordings from E3, everyone who saw it on the show floor attested to how bright and colorful the game is - check this video from DF for better colors
That does look a lot better, even in the first few seconds you can see that the bushes and trees look sharper then in other footage.
I mean it was in-engine, but not playable, it was an animated movie playing in-engine. He confirmed this year it was used as reference for the game's mechanics due to the good reception the trailer got. Like every target render made for a game.

That's the opposite of how open world development works actually...I can almost 100% guarantee you that the map in that trailer isn't actually big but is actually incredibly small when you move the camera. The world in the actual game is way more vertical than in that 2014 scene.
I guarantee that the E3 2014 trailer contains footage of the real overworld, except they polished up the graphics in the area and added in the Guardian battle. The VGA footage we got 6 months later definitely doesn't look as good as the E3 trailer visual-wise or animation-wise, but the map layout shows little evidence of being changed from the E3 version.

I imagine building the general layout of the overworld was something that they did very early on in development, as it provides the gameplay flow for the entirety of the game. The map we saw at the 2014 VGA's isn't even that different from the E3 2016 build:
There's no way that they would develop the game for 2 years and still not know what the final map would look like. The game was originally set to release in 2016, which would have given them 1.5 years to build the map from scratch. There have likely been a ton of changes to the overworld since the reveal trailer, but dungeons, cities, and large landmarks probably haven't moved much.

When Aonuma said that the trailer became the basis for the whole game, I imagine that he is referring to how things like guardian battles, shiekah technology, and bows became much more important to the story and the development of the world then they were before.

Crossing Eden

I guarantee that the E3 2014 trailer contains footage of the real overworld, except they polished up the graphics in the area and added in the Guardian battle. The VGA footage we got 6 months later definitely doesn't look as good as the E3 trailer visual-wise or animation-wise, but the map layout shows little evidence of being changed from the E3 version.

I imagine building the general layout of the overworld was something that they did very early on in development, as it provides the gameplay flow for the entirety of the game. The map we saw at the 2014 VGA's isn't even that different from the E3 2016 build:
There's no way that they would develop the game for 2 years and still not know what the final map would look like. The game was originally set to release in 2016, which would have given them 1.5 years to build the map from scratch. There have likely been a ton of changes to the overworld since the reveal trailer, but dungeons, cities, and large landmarks probably haven't moved much.

When Aonuma said that the trailer became the basis for the whole game, I imagine that he is referring to how things like guardian battles, shiekah technology, and bows became much more important to the story and the development of the world then they were before.
You'd be incredibly surprised at how iterative the world of a game can be, especially when it's three years away from release and barely playable outside of prototypes, (as in the state Zelda was in a year after that initial in-engine trailer). They had ideas of what they wanted to do but no way that map was ever playable or ever the final goal.

Nickle

You'd be incredibly surprised at how iterative the world of a game can be, especially when it's three years away from release and barely playable outside of prototypes, (as in the state Zelda was in a year after that initial in-engine trailer). They had ideas of what they wanted to do but no way that map was ever playable or ever the final goal.
But it wasn't 3 years away from release, it was originally scheduled for 2015, which was only 1.5 years at max. They wouldn't waste all that time creating a hypothetical world just to show off what the world might look like. You can even see that Death Mountain and the Mountain split in half are in the exact same location as they are now.

This isn't like other open world games where you can get anywhere you want as soon as you start the game. In BotW getting to different places is often harder then just driving a car or climbing some buildings, you'll need certain items and gear to survive and progress through different parts of the world. As a result, the design of the world is one of the most important things for the devs to work on, and they can't just spend the first few years designing random areas and hope they find a place to plop them onto the map.

The area from the E3 2014 trailer will definitely look different in the final game, but it won't be unrecognizably different.

Crossing Eden

But it wasn't 3 years away from release, it was originally scheduled for 2015, which was only 1.5 years at max. They wouldn't waste all that time creating a hypothetical world just to show off what the world might look like. You can even see that Death Mountain and the Mountain split in half are in the exact same location as they are now.

This isn't like other open world games where you can get anywhere you want as soon as you start the game. In BotW getting to different places is often harder then just driving a car or climbing some buildings, you'll need certain items and gear to survive and progress through different parts of the world. As a result, the design of the world is one of the most important things for the devs to work on, and they can't just spend the first few years designing random areas and hope they find a place to plop them onto the map.

The area from the E3 2014 trailer will definitely look different in the final game, but it won't be unrecognizably different.
Look at the state of the game when they demoed it in 2015, they absolutely knew that there was no way they were going to make that date based on the workload involved and the planned scale of the game. It's really not that uncommon for things to absolutely change in an incredibly short amount of time or for entire maps to be thrown out and heavily reworked after the target visual has been made, this is what AC:Syndicate's map looked like in the target render video less than a year before release and before they even had a final cast of characters.
and at that point they had been working on it for two years.

Nickle

Look at the state of the game when they demoed it in 2015, they absolutely knew that there was no way they were going to make that date based on the workload involved and the planned scale of the game. It's really not that uncommon for things to absolutely change in an incredibly short amount of time or for entire maps to be thrown out and heavily reworked after the target visual has been made, this is what AC:Syndicate's map looked like in the target render video less than a year before release and before they even had a final cast of characters.

and at that point they had been working on it for two years.
I don't even know what you are talking about anymore. There is zero reason to believe that the Dev team fabricated an entire landscape and then lied about the release date for no reason. What Ubisoft and other shitty companies do has nothing to do with BotW.

What really happened was that they found a section of the map that showed a nice view, polished up the graphics to the level that they wanted for the final product, and made a cutscene involving the guardians to show off the world and a glimpse of the story. Nothing more, nothing less.

Crossing Eden

I don't even know what you are talking about anymore. There is zero reason to believe that the Dev team fabricated an entire landscape and then lied about the release date for no reason. What Ubisoft and other shitty companies do has nothing to do with BotW.

What really happened was that they found a section of the map that showed a nice view, polished up the graphics to the level that they wanted for the final product, and made a cutscene involving the guardians to show off the world and a glimpse of the story. Nothing more, nothing less.
I mean, what they did is quite common and Nintendo isn't a special snowflake that develops their games differently from everyone else, (especially when the game in question has so many features that are in place to play catch up with the rest of the industry, like adding a jump button or having armor stats for customization options). Seriously was there any indication whatsoever that they'd hit the 2015 release date during the demo video? Which was emptier than the even intentionally small section of the game at e3.

Wait... why would we even care if that area from the first trailer is in the game or not? It's not like Nintendo haven't proven that they're capable of making a beautiful and vast open world, as indicated by the hours of footage we have of the game currently running and looking awesome.

Crossing Eden

Wait... why would we even care if that area from the first trailer is in the game or not? It's not like Nintendo haven't proven that they're capable of making a beautiful and vast open world, as indicated by the hours of footage we have of the game currently running and looking awesome.
Exactly, I don't think it needs defending as it's an incredibly common thing to do given the iterative process of game development over a number and the state of their console. I do kinda take issue with Anouma saying "yes that was gameplay" when it very clearly wasn't anything other than an animated video meant to resemble gameplay, (maybe in realtime?) and then backtracking on it two years later but that's no biggie given even if just for a second they controlled Link that counts as "gameplay." Sorta like how this QB trailer is "gameplay." or the trailer for the Witcher 3 at VGX.

still willing to bet that a player will be able to recreate that exact angle at that location (e3 2014 vista). A gaf collective prop bet perhaps? lets pick sides :p

Nickle

I mean, what they did is quite common and Nintendo isn't a special snowflake that develops their games differently from everyone else, (especially when the game in question has so many features that are in place to play catch up with the rest of the industry, like adding a jump button or having armor stats for customization options). Seriously was there any indication whatsoever that they'd hit the 2015 release date during the demo video? Which was emptier than the even intentionally small section of the game at e3.
So according to you... in the E3 2014 reveal, they fabricated an entire area that they didn't know would be in the game or not, just to impress us. Then, in only 6 months, they manage to build an entire world and show off direct gameplay and a view of the entire map.

Why would they do that? Nintendo has never done anything like that before, and they have no reason to.

And don't pretend like you understand how the industry works, based on your first sentence it's pretty clear that you don't.

This post is laughable. It's hard to take you seriously when you say nonsense like this, and it's blatantly obvious you don't play many Nintendo games

Crossing Eden

So according to you... in the E3 2014 reveal, they fabricated an entire area that they didn't know would be in the game or not, just to impress us. Then, in only 6 months, they manage to build an entire world and show off direct gameplay and a view of the entire map.

Why would they do that? Nintendo has never done anything like that before, and they have no reason to.

And don't pretend like you understand how the industry works, based on your first sentence it's pretty clear that you don't.
I mean at that time they didn't even know whether or not that main enemy was gonna be a core part of the game and later used that trailer as the basis for all of the gameplay concepts, (like jumping from the horse). Again, it likely wasn't an entire world, it was more likely a really small map area that looks huge due to the perspective and that like witht hte gameplay concepts, they used it as the main concept for how the world would look. Nintendo absolutely has done this before. You can even see in that early build, (which they had to cut up many times in fact), there are some really egregious issues, like out of place mountain textures on the ground. Actually looking at that screenshot the placement of many things, (along with the pretty humorous abundance of hills), they make no sense in the context of how they're placed compared to what we've seen in the 2016 build, they are WAY closer together than they'd be in a fully playable game. Would you like me to build a map sculpt to demonstrate? And just to clarify, i'm absolutely not condemning Nintendo for this in anyway shape or form, I understand the reasons why they did it. I get that it for awhile was all we had to go on in terms of what the possibilities are a new Zelda were gonna be like so people got attached and can't fathom the thought of the map going through a shit ton of changes three years after a target render/engine debut, but there's no reason for the hostility. Fabrication is also the wrong word here. Btw, it's a lot easier to make a map UI with an unfinished map than an entire map itself, the map was most definitely not finished at the VGAs and they certainly didn't show off "an entire world."

This post is laughable. It's hard to take you seriously when you say nonsense like this, and it's blatantly obvious you don't play many Nintendo games
I meant in the context of Zelda, which is the main Nintendo series that I play, I even bought a 3ds SOLELY to play the Ocarina of Time Remaster and the only other games I bought for it were RE:Revelations and the other two Zelda games. Although 3D Zelda was the innovator when Ocarina of Time was released by establishing many features that are commonplace in RPGs today, (like lock on), Zelda in general didn't move forward as much as the rest of the industry in the same way that RE didn't move forward at the pace that the TPS genre did despite establishing many common elements like the camera placement. Just as an example Skyward Sword was the first 3D Zelda game to have a manual sprint button. It took them until 2011 to make that a manual default option for adult Link while the rest of the games had us rolling our way to freedom. BOTW feels like the first 3D Zelda game where they absolutely paid attention to what the competition was doing and how the 3D action/adventure genre has moved forward since they made Ocarina of Time.

maaaaaybe maybe I can go along with you with some of the distant mountain structures and textures being very early, but if you look at the VGA demo map screen (which we now know has been defined by topography in every iteration rather than color/character of natural features) you see the south east area has lots of rolling hills and isnt more of a flatland that we see on the plateau or just north of it from e3 this year

Nickle

I mean at that time they didn't even know whether or not that main enemy was gonna be a core part of the game and later used that trailer as the basis for all of the gameplay concepts, (like jumping from the horse). Again, it likely wasn't an entire world, it was more likely a really small map area that looks huge due to the perspective and that like witht hte gameplay concepts, they used it as the main concept for how the world would look. Nintendo absolutely has done this before. You can even see in that early build, (which they had to cut up many times in fact), there are some really egregious issues, like out of place mountain textures on the ground. Actually looking at that screenshot the placement of many things, (along with the pretty humorous abundance of hills), they make no sense in the context of how they're placed compared to what we've seen in the 2016 build, they are WAY closer together than they'd be in a fully playable game. Would you like me to build a map sculpt to demonstrate?

I meant in the context of Zelda, which is the main Nintendo series that I play, I even bought a 3ds SOLELY to play the Ocarina of Time Remaster and the only other games I bought for it were RE:Revelations and the other two Zelda games. Although 3D Zelda was the innovator when Ocarina of Time was released by establishing many features that are commonplace in RPGs today, (like lock on), Zelda in general didn't move forward as much as the rest of the industry in the same way that RE didn't move forward at the pace that the TPS genre did despite establishing many common elements like the camera placement. Like Skyward Sword was the first 3D Zelda game to have a manual sprint button. It took them until 2011 to make that a manual default option for adult Link.
They build Zelda games around gameplay first and foremost, and they later realized that a story more focused on Shiekah and guardians could fit nicely into the world. That's basically what Aonuma's been telling us.

It's an area of the map with rolling hills, we haven't seen any views of it in the E3 2016 build because it's on the other side of the map and blocked by mountains. The E3 2014 view was from the south east, but the Great Plateau is in the south west. There is a lot of map analysis that proves this. I understand perspective, and there's nothing about the hills that are suspicious. Many of them lack detail because of the Wii U's poor graphic capabilities, but that's it.

Twilight Princess obviously changed over the course of its development, but Nintendo never mislead us about the contents of the game after it got changed.

Edit: explain to us why Skyward Sword needed a jump button, or why Twilight Princess needed a sprint button.

sanstesy

maaaaaybe maybe I can go along with you with some of the distant mountain structures and textures being very early, but if you look at the VGA demo map screen (which we now know has been defined by topography in every iteration rather than color/character of natural features) you see the south east area has lots of rolling hills and isnt more of a flatland that we see on the plateau or just north of it from e3 this year

Yeah that is some nonsense. The map at that moment clearly had a finished map layout and location placement was already set in stone if you follow any of the Zelda analysis stuff. Furthermore, the game was in development for 2 years by E3 2014, why should they have the need to make a complete made-up horizon and map in the background? That's not how game development works.

The VGA footage only 5 months later that features the finished map crushes that point anyway, so it's not really worth discussing. Just very misinformed.

Crossing Eden

They build Zelda games around gameplay first and foremost, and they later realized that a story more focused on Shiekah and guardians could fit nicely into the world. That's basically what Aonuma's been telling us.

It's an area of the map with rolling hills, we haven't seen any views of it in the E3 2016 build because it's on the other side of the map and blocked by mountains. The E3 2014 view was from the south east, but the Great Plateau is in the south west. There is a lot of map analysis that proves this. I understand perspective, and there's nothing about the hills that are suspicious. Many of them lack detail because of the Wii U's poor graphic capabilities, but that's it.
So you're saying that they've had multiple environment trailers so far and neglected to show a single part of the map that they had from 2014? You seriously think that spot is still in the game?

Twilight Princess obviously changed over the course of its development, but Nintendo never mislead us about the contents of the game after it got changed.

Edit: explain to us why Skyward Sword needed a jump button, or why Twilight Princess needed a sprint button.
Because those are modern gameplay elements in the action adventure genre. Having to resort to rolling to get to places is not only comical since it was the main way to traverse on foot in a timely fashion but it also looks ridiculous. Nintendo has barely talked about that 2014 footage other than borderline saying it was the basis for the gameplay concepts of the game.

Nickle

So you're saying that they've had multiple environment trailers so far and neglected to show a single part of the map that they had from 2014? You seriously think that spot is still in the game?

Because those are modern gameplay elements in the action adventure genre. Having to resort to rolling to get to places is not only comical since it was the main way to traverse on foot in a timely fashion but it also looks ridiculous. Nintendo has barely talked about that 2014 footage other than borderline saying it was the basis for the gameplay concepts of the game.
They're have been many map analysis's showing footage from the VGA's and E3 that match up with the E3 2014 footage in several areas, there isn't any debate among those who analyze the game. You might be the only one in any of these threads who thinks that the E3 2014 footage didn't actually show the map.

Crossing Eden

That shit legit looks like someone just messing around in zbrush or something, creating random ass mounds everywhere.
Looks more like what it looks like when someone is using the sculpt geometry tool in maya for a good two hours. It really makes no sense from a playability perspective. No idea why people think that's what the playable map will look like. `\_(ツ)_/¯

They're have been many map analysis's showing footage from the VGA's and E3 that match up with the E3 2014 footage in several areas, there isn't any debate among those who analyze the game. You might be the only one in any of these threads who thinks that the E3 2014 footage didn't actually show the map.
Because it wasn't a real map. It's a target render, it'd be like making an analysis of this video and trying to figure out how much of that map made it into the final game.

dude, it's a rolling hillside. ideal for herding some of the livestock visible in that 2014 teaser

whatever lets drop it, but come March (perhaps sooner) we'll see who's correct

Entered the thread expecting some news, but it was just some worthless discussion. If the area in 2014 is in or not it doesn't matter, the art style, and the gameplay mechanics hinted at (importance of arrows, horses, jumping out of horse to slow motion, and others) are all in the final game.

Kindekuma

Banned
I don't really know which thread this idea is very relevant to. Zelda or Switch. But here goes. I've heard a lot of complaining about the performance on the Switch for BotW, and I just would like to share my thoughts from a VFX standpoint and editing process. I dunno if this was discussed at all either, but here are my two cents.

See, a small error in the trailer shows the game footage overlapping a woman's shirt, showing how the screen image was simulated and projected. Not from the system itself. Every major company that shows off display tech does this simulation trick, it's nothing new. But when you're an editor who's given all these shots and a ridiculously small amount of game footage to work with, you need to think on your feet.

The editor wants to take the footage of the giant moblin boss, but wants to cut at a particular spot (a certain sound effect for example, the bomb exploding sfx). Rather than desync the audio or something else, the editor decides to slow the footage down. Since the sequence is already in somewhat slow motion, it's easier to offset the time as well. But that introduces choppiness. It's not the game performance, it's just how the editor wants to cut and where.

TL;DR- BotW performs fine on NS (assuming the footage IS from the NS). Decisions were made in the VFX and Editing staff to slow footage down for a particular cut, resulting in choppy footage.

Nickle

Because it wasn't a real map. It's a target render, it'd be like making an analysis of this video and trying to figure out how much of that map made it into the final game.
You've literally ignored everything I said and repeated the exact same thing you said in the first place. I'll just wait until someone takes a picture of the area when they get their hands on the game, it'll be quicker then arguing with you.

sanstesy

Looks more like what it looks like when someone is using the sculpt geometry tool in maya for a good two hours. It really makes no sense from a playability perspective. No idea why people think that's what the playable map will look like. `_(ツ)_/¯

You're side-stepping the fact that past map analysis makes it clear this is a real map and there is no reason for it not to be. Best thing to do here is save your post and come release prove you wrong if you teally think you're actually talking some sense.

Also, the horizon looks so washed out because, guess what, the draw distance is abundantly bad in the 2014 footage which is normal for an unfinished game! This is more of a counter-point than anything because if the map was actually made-up they would have probably make it look way better & polished overall.

I don't really know which thread this idea is very relevant to. Zelda or Switch. But here goes. I've heard a lot of complaining about the performance on the Switch for BotW, and I just would like to share my thoughts from a VFX standpoint and editing process. I dunno if this was discussed at all either, but here are my two cents.

See, a small error in the trailer shows the game footage overlapping a woman's shirt, showing how the screen image was simulated and projected. Not from the system itself. Every major company that shows off display tech does this simulation trick, it's nothing new. But when you're an editor who's given all these shots and a ridiculously small amount of game footage to work with, you need to think on your feet.

The editor wants to take the footage of the giant moblin boss, but wants to cut at a particular spot (a certain sound effect for example, the bomb exploding sfx). Rather than desync the audio or something else, the editor decides to slow the footage down. Since the sequence is already in somewhat slow motion, it's easier to offset the time as well. But that introduces choppiness. It's not the game performance, it's just how the editor wants to cut and where.

TL;DR- BotW performs fine on NS (assuming the footage IS from the NS). Decisions were made in the VFX and Editing staff to slow footage down for a particular cut, resulting in choppy footage.
Another user adressed this, thank you both for this!

balgajo

About the 2014 footage the only thing I know is that twin peaks are now mirroed. Visiting this location is the first thing I want to do.

Poyunch

I would actually love a screenshot that shows the original reveal being in the demo.

I've avoided watching too much of the in-depth analysis because I don't want to spoiled by the speculations and the theories that might end up being correct.

Dmax3901

Really interesting, thanks!

Crossing Eden

You've literally ignored everything I said and repeated the exact same thing you said in the first place. I'll just wait until someone takes a picture of the area when they get their hands on the game, it'll be quicker then arguing with you.
I mean good luck with that. You're likely gonna be disappointed tho. :/

You're side-stepping the fact that past map analysis makes it clear this is a real map and there is no reason for it not to be. Best thing to do here is save your post and come release prove you wrong if you teally think you're actually talking some sense.

Also, the horizon looks so washed out because, guess what, the draw distance is abundantly bad in the 2014 footage which is normal for an unfinished game! This is more of a counter-point than anything because if the map was actually made-up they would have probably make it look way better & polished overall.
I mean the LOD in that 2014 video is already better than the LOD in the 2016 build so they did make it look better and polished than under normal game circumstances. And that's not even getting into the close ups on Link's model being much higher poly.

Top Bottom