• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

sanstesy

I mean the LOD in that 2014 video is already better than the LOD in the 2016 build so they did make it look better and polished than under normal game circumstances. And that's not even getting into the close ups on Link's model being much higher poly.

Wow, no. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

2557861-zelda_001.jpg

The LOD is quite clearly better than in the 2014 footage which is why the person you quoted said it looks so terrible. Now it actually has some pretty nice detail in the distance; be it on death mountain or the castle, with things even being in motion far in the distance (though the trees still look pretty weird from a distance).

And cutscenes will assuredly be higher poly, just like any in a lot of other Nintendo games. Surprisingly, the same will be the case in this new Nintendo game! The best thing about this is Aonuma told us that this is in fact a cutscene.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013

The LOD is quite clearly better than in the 2014 footage which is why the person you quoted said it looks so terrible. Now it actually has some pretty nice detail in the distance; be it on death mountain or the castle, with things even being in motion far in the distance (though the trees still look pretty weird from a distance).

And cutscenes will assuredly be higher poly, just like any in a lot of other Nintendo games. Surprisingly, the same will be the case in this new Nintendo game! The best thing about this is Aonuma told us that this is in fact a cutscene.
I was going to post this. The 2014 footage looks better close up, but it looks like shit when you look past the large wooden platform and small central forest. The area to the right is literally green ooze.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Yea it seems I was mistaken, things up close look a lot worse than in that 2014 render than in the 2016 build compared to the LOD, which looks really fake. But then again we're talking about a target render with a map made in a relatively short amount of time relatively speaking compared to an actual playable in-game map. The shortcomings of the LOD aren't hidden very well by that fog though.

to be fair Re: close up detail 2014 vs 2016, and overall lush colors 2014 vs 2016, there are very different time of day lighting circumstances between those two stills above. Plenty of direct feed we've seen this year, even the horseback combat in the field at the beginning of the switch reveal video showcases more lush grassy areas with bright colors popping extremely similar to the somewhat doctored and polished 2014 reveal. that starting cliff perch and opening vista has link on more of a purely rock surface without much growth.

i see Crossing Eden is steadfast in his position, and I respect that. but i remain 98% sure that people will be able to traverse the terrain showcased at e3 2014

sanstesy

Yea it seems I was mistaken, things up close look a lot worse than in that 2014 render than in the 2016 build compared to the LOD, which looks really fake. But then again we're talking about a target render with a map made in a relatively short amount of time relatively speaking compared to an actual playable in-game map. The shortcomings of the LOD aren't hidden very well by that fog though.

Yeah, it seems you were mistaken. :p

This game looks very much like the original LoZ, but it doesn't look hard. I want HARD zelda games like LoZ and LoZII

bruh, the grounded guardians and steppe talus can be encountered within the first 5 minutes of playing the game and will one-shot you unless you've prepared some food.

I dont feel like this will be a very forgiving world

Question, is the bottom screenshot from the demo or trailer? Because if it was from the demo, it's possible they added fog to obscure far off details. It wouldn't be surprised considering they went as far as removing towns and NPCs from the demo

sanstesy

Question, is the bottom screenshot from the demo or trailer? Because if it was from the demo, it's possible they added fog to obscure far off details. It wouldn't be surprised considering they went as far as removing towns and NPCs from the demo

The fog you see on the fields is in the game and will go away and come back again depending on the time of the day. It's not there to obscure vision. Though there are places covered by very thick fog on some mountains far in the distance that could be doing what you said, but I don't know man.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
It's a bit of a bullshot, and yes it's from the demo. I don't think the fog is there to hide anything, unless it is on top of a mountain.

Towns and NPC's were never removed from the demo, that's a common misconception. There are just no NPC's on the Great Plateau because it is supposed to be cut off from the rest of the world. We don't know exactly why we haven't seen any towns yet, but it's probably because they are just further away from Hyrule Castle.

sanstesy

Is it just me or does it look like they've added more flowers and stuff? Or maybe it's because the footage looks more colorful?

When he's fighting the bokgobling at 6:30 the grass is littered with those brownish thingies, I don't remember seeing so many of them before. Could there be seasons in the game?

It's the same.

ReyVGM

It's the same.

It shows the old man in a different spot around 14:09. I dunno, I'm seeing/noticing more those brownish things in the grass. Maybe it's the video quality I guess.

I checked the E3 videos, and while I see some, they don't stand out as much.

There's a book/note on the wookcutter's house table which was definitely not in the E3 demo.

Dude dies like 6 times in what is essentially the tutorial of the game...sounds like Zelda 1 to me lol. If you aren't paying attention it seems the game really will kill you this time around.

Its not the E3 demo persay, this is the opening expanded. This is what you can expect from the start of the game, no blue tunic or anything.

ReyVGM

Huh, neat. The old man actually goes out and starts hunting at one point.

Yeah, and it shows the old man cutting the tree we saw on the game's trailer.

This is definitely either a special demo, or they let him play for many hours and he's advancing the plot and/or sidequests.

WOW! Watch that amazing sunrise at 27:50!! Someone make a gif of it.

sanstesy

Yeah, and it shows the old man cutting the tree we saw on the game's trailer.

This is definitely either a special demo, or they let him play for many hours and he's advancing the plot and/or sidequests.

WOW! Watch that amazing sunrise at 27:50!! Someone make a gif of it.

Someone should do a high-quality gif from 27:53 to around 28:20!

TheMoon

I don't really know which thread this idea is very relevant to. Zelda or Switch. But here goes. I've heard a lot of complaining about the performance on the Switch for BotW, and I just would like to share my thoughts from a VFX standpoint and editing process. I dunno if this was discussed at all either, but here are my two cents.

See, a small error in the trailer shows the game footage overlapping a woman's shirt, showing how the screen image was simulated and projected. Not from the system itself. Every major company that shows off display tech does this simulation trick, it's nothing new. But when you're an editor who's given all these shots and a ridiculously small amount of game footage to work with, you need to think on your feet.

The editor wants to take the footage of the giant moblin boss, but wants to cut at a particular spot (a certain sound effect for example, the bomb exploding sfx). Rather than desync the audio or something else, the editor decides to slow the footage down. Since the sequence is already in somewhat slow motion, it's easier to offset the time as well. But that introduces choppiness. It's not the game performance, it's just how the editor wants to cut and where.

TL;DR- BotW performs fine on NS (assuming the footage IS from the NS). Decisions were made in the VFX and Editing staff to slow footage down for a particular cut, resulting in choppy footage.

someone in the Switch thread did a frame analysis and confirmed that this was a result of stretching out the clip which produces the choppiness.

Holy shit, I forgot how gorgeous this game is.

I wonder what that "clear" message is for which popped up after the sunrise.
That clear message is just editing. Not part of the game, they set him up with objectives to complete and that popped up when he "cleared" them. The sunrise was coincedence when he got that cold resistant tunic.

TheMoon

He didn't even explore the temple of time. I was looking forward to it. He probably would have climbed that ledge.

They cut it out because they know. :D

Game look great though. One thing though: when you die, does it really need to say "Game Over"? Seems like it fits arcade games more than open world games.

Never played many open world games, eh? :D

Can't think of one without that.

skypunch

Banned
Never played many open world games, eh? :D

Can't think of one without that.

I've played Xenoblade X and The Witcher 3. Neither one have a game over screen. I'd understand a "game over" if you had to start a level all over again or load a save file, but here you just pretty much start where you were with nothing lost. Just feels a bit outdated with the open world structure. I guess it's just a bit of Nintendo's traditionalism seeping through.

I've played Xenoblade X and The Witcher 3. Neither one have a game over screen. I'd understand a "game over" if you had to start a level all over again or load a save file, but here you just pretty much start where you were with nothing lost. Just feels a bit outdated with the open world structure. I guess it's just a bit of Nintendo's traditionalism seeping through.

I'm fairly sure the Assassin's Creed games have "game over" screens when you die

Charamiwa

Banned
Doubt they'll include dual audio, but hey, at least the Japanese version's likely region free on the Switch.

I was hoping maybe a way to change your console settings to change the language? But that's assuming the japanese version would have english text.

Anyway it's not a dealbreaker, I don't even think there will be that much voice over in the game.

Peltz

I actually like the "look" of the draw distance in the 2016 version more. It's far less whimsical and Disney like, and far more mysterious and Zelda-like if that makes sense. Either way, I'm very pleased by the look of the footage we've seen since E3 this year. It has the strongest art style of possibly any game I've ever seen.

Top Bottom