• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

trixx

Yeah, being able to pause to eat in the middle of fights (and not have the health replenishment take any time once you unpause, AFAIK) seems to make that mechanic more or less pointless. It's just a chore you have to do, not something that actually adds any challenge. Running low on health, just pause and eat something. You do have to have something to eat, of course, but yeah.

hopefully hero mode gets rid of that, enemies actually seem like a threat in this games and would be a shame if always have this as an option. Maybe have to manually play without it

Did we already know Spectacle Rock was back?

DOOWnWpXLCsZG.gif

Dmax3901

My Japanese isn't great, but this is the part I did understand:

Interviewer- "Is there anything from the (E3) demo that people haven't found yet?"

Aonuma- "Well, there is a pretty big secret we hid in the rafters of the Temple of Time, but it seems like no one has found it yet."

You left out the most exciting part, he goes on to say "We were shocked that out of all the people from both the press and the general public, not one of them seemed interested in exploring this particular place in the Temple of Time. Eventually we gave up and removed it, you'll have to wait til the final release of the game to see what's up there!"

ReyVGM

Interviewer- "Is there anything from the (E3) demo that people haven't found yet?"

Aonuma- "Well, there is a pretty big secret we hid in the rafters of the Temple of Time, but it seems like no one has found it yet."

You're kidding, right?

THAT'S THE FUCKING LEDGE I'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT FOR MONTHS!!

*edit*
yeah, you're fucking with me :'(

balgajo

Lol
Died here...XD

You left out the most exciting part, he goes on to say "We were shocked that out of all the people from both the press and the general public, not one of them seemed interested in exploring this particular place in the Temple of Time. Eventually we gave up and removed it, you'll have to wait til the final release of the game to see what's up there!"

Great, I guess I'll just obsessively comb through footage of the ToT till then to see what they could have been referencing. Not like this game is already consuming all of my time and soul or anything.

But for reals, what could they mean by such a cryptic hint?

Edit: Shoot, I just got played :'{

RagnarokX

RagnarokX presents spectacle rocks throughout the ages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enJF0q4bnDg

The Legend of Zelda
0X5KSI0.jpg

Adventure of Link
a3eGEtY.jpg

A Link to the Past
Fm7AnKE.jpg

Ocarina of Time
DphcMy5.jpg

Wind Waker
lU4MVSO.jpg

Four Sword Adventure
JRA2Zfi.jpg

A Link Between Worlds
e6BdlL3.jpg

Breath of the Wild
qpdLcAe.jpg

As seen from the Great Plateau:
D4jvDb5.jpg

00000423_04.jpg

Skyward Sword also has a twin peaks visible on the map, and there are spectacle rocks in games set outside of Hyrule like Link's Awakening, the Oracle games, and Majora's Mask. Minish Cap has spectacle rocks on top of Mt Crenel in the west.

TheMoon

ahahahahahahahahahaha

edit: looooool Rey fell for it :D

I love this thread.

hawthorneluke

Neo Member

No idea how far we're supposed to take this, but it says:

"2017年発売予定の最新作『ゼルダの伝説 ブレス オブ ザ ワイルド』は、1986年に発売された初代『ゼルダの伝説』と同じハイラルが舞台です。"

"The Hyrule in BoTW is the same as the one in the original Zelda"

It might been timeline wise, but most probably just means homage wise, like how the gameplay is a re-imagining of the original Zelda's (They're pretty much all the same Hyrule each game anyway, right?)... but then again who knows lol

Which is why it then goes to compare the old man, spectacle rock, the raft, and a skull for some reason (to show off the freedom of how to tackle things in BoTW with shooting down the lantern?)

takriel

No idea how far we're supposed to take this, but it says:

"2017年発売予定の最新作『ゼルダの伝説 ブレス オブ ザ ワイルド』は、1986年に発売された初代『ゼルダの伝説』と同じハイラルが舞台です。"

"The Hyrule in BoTW is the same as the one in the original Zelda"

It might been timeline wise, but most probably just means homage wise, like how the gameplay is a re-imagining of the original Zelda's (They're pretty much all the same Hyrule each game anyway, right?)... but then again who knows lol

Which is why it then goes to compare the old man, spectacle rock, the raft, and a skull for some reason (to show off the freedom of how to tackle things in BoTW with shooting down the lantern?)

kind of big news, no?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
kind of big news, no?

Given the uncertainty of the wording and the intent, I'd say no. BotW's been compared to the original game since the start, so I think it would need to be something more definitive to be newsworthy. Besides, I'm pretty sure those photos already show it's clearly not the same Hyrule. But all the Hyrules have shared elements, and it's clear they've been looking at the original for inspiration for a while now.

RagnarokX

kind of big news, no?

Well, every Hyrule is the same one from LoZ except for Spirit Tracks.

The things it uses to compare are things that have been in almost every Zelda game set in Hyrule like Spectacle Rock and things that aren't even specific references like rafts and skulls.

hawthorneluke

Neo Member
Ah, btw, the reason for that actual article is:

"6週連続『ゼルダの伝説』懐かし企画の第4回目は、“ハイラルの今と昔”です。"

"The fourth instalment in the 6 consecutive weeks of 'The Legend of Zelda' nostalgia project is: 'The current and past of Hyrule'".

ie, they're doing articles on the roots of Zelda, which is why it's purposely being compared to the latest one (BoTW) here.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'm going to be like that Miiverse "nice water" guy every time I see a body of water in this game.

Cuningas de Häme;222157875 said:
Has fishing been confirmed? There's that big fish in the swimming picture...

E. With a rod, I mean.

No not yet, but they've been very explicit about showing how you can fish, and the variety of fish. It would not be unreasonable to expect that there would the possibility to use a fishing rod as well.

For all my excitement for this game I'd make only a couple changes that I'd think would make the core mechanics perfect.

- Make the hand weapons Quick Select Menu sort itself into Shields, Spears, Heavy Weapons, and Light Weapons.

- Make the Bow Quick Select also have the arrow types sorted in

- Use the leftover d-pad button to assign to the Cooked foods and potions. Can Quick select like any other weapon and tapping the button uses the item in real time.

- You cannot open the menu in combat.

That should fix my niggling issues about the game.

ReyVGM

For all my excitement for this game I'd make only a couple changes that I'd think would make the core mechanics perfect.

- Make the hand weapons Quick Select Menu sort itself into Shields, Spears, Heavy Weapons, and Light Weapons.

- Make the Bow Quick Select also have the arrow types sorted in

- Use the leftover d-pad button to assign to the Cooked foods and potions. Can Quick select like any other weapon and tapping the button uses the item in real time.

That sounds good.

- You cannot open the menu in combat.

That sounds awful.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That sounds good.

That sounds awful.

No, what's awful is that if you get low on life you can just pause in the middle of the fight, eat something, instantly get healed, and then just keep going. Where's the challenge? What's even the point of having to eat? It's just a pointless chore as it is. Not being able to do it while paused would make it much more meaningful. Or at least make it take a few seconds (after unpausing) for your life to refill instead of it being instant, so you have to be a bit careful.

TheMoon

No, what's awful is that if you get low on life you can just pause in the middle of the fight, eat something, instantly get healed, and then just keep going. Where's the challenge? What's even the point of having to eat? It's just a pointless chore as it is. Not being able to do it while paused would make it much more meaningful. Or at least make it take a few seconds (after unpausing) for your life to refill instead of it being instant, so you have to be a bit careful.

Right, drinking potions during combat in Diablo sucked ass! :p

Right, drinking potions during combat in Diablo sucked ass! :p

Well, they did fix that in Diablo 3 with a potion cooldown. Something like that would work.

I personally think the best way is for Link to have a "fullness" threshold where he can't eat anymore after a certain amount. Maybe he gets sluggish or something. That would be a very neat Nintendo way to do it.

Edit:

No story huh? maybe this is a reimagining of the first one then. I would be happy with that.

No story is not a thing, there was a tweet from a random guy that said that, but it's completely untrue. He was taking a quote about how you can experience as much or as little of the story as you want as somehow meaning there is no story.

RagnarokX

No story huh? maybe this is a reimagining of the first one then. I would be happy with that.

This Link is a hero who has spent the last 100 years sleeping in an intensive care unit while Ganon ran amok on the kingdom. It has a story and it's very different from Zelda 1's.

where is this nonsense coming from!? second person to say this. did you even watch the E3 trailer?!

Can't blame these people though. Nintendo just showed hours of hours in the Plateu doing always the same thing. For the NX reveal they have to deliver a epic story trailer with dungeons and towns.

Top Bottom