• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

TheMoon

Guys, read all the tweets. She is NOT saying that Zelda is NOT launching alongside Switch. She is merely pointing out that Mario could launch just as soon since Miyamoto implied we'd only get a first glimpse at E3 next year which would suggest a later release.

Stop panicking. :)

LordKano

Guys, read all the tweets. She is NOT saying that Zelda is NOT launching alongside Switch. She is merely pointing out that Mario could launch just as soon since Miyamoto implied we'd only get a first glimpse at E3 next year which would suggest a later release.

Stop panicking. :)

Sorry but this tweet is an undeniable evidence that Nintendo is doomed.

Astral Dog

GODDAMMIT!!!!!!!

Well, 3D Mario games are among my favorite videogames ever so I'm peeeerfectly OK if a new 3D Mario is Switch's major launch game instead of BOTW but my god it's like BOTW will never come out! :(

The rumour was that 3D Mario started development as a Wii U game so it makes sense its further along than we would think,they wold only need to port it to Switch.

Also looks fairly similar to 3D World graphics wise so it will look good either way

jmizzal

Nintendo wont launch them both at the same time, but they will def launch the one thats ready first. Nintendo is the king of polish and even if Mario has been in development longer then we know, they will still want to make sure its polished before they release it. Same with BOTW yes we have been seeing it for a long time but its a huge game and they will want to polish the heck out of it.

By Jan 12th they will know which one to launch first, but i'm sure Zelda will be with in the first 3 months before E3, now Mario I can see them sitting on it, no way they sit on Zelda until Holidays like some people have said.

Also wasnt the rumor why the Switch reveal was delayed from Sept to Oct was because Mario wasnt ready to show yet? So i'm thinking it may need a lil more polish before March 2017

ReyVGM

Well my potential solution would be that you could eat, say 5 food items and then Link becomes "full" and unable to eat more, or maybe his speed decreases. Then, after, say, 30 seconds of in-game time the "full" status is gone and you can once again pause to eat more.

Those kind of limitations will just piss people off, a "one step forward, two steps back" sort of thing.

The best thing is for people to manage items on their own. You want the game to be hard? Don't pick up food or don't cook it so you can only refill in small increments.
Want it to be easy? Stock up on cooked food. But definitely don't disable my ability to eat whenever I want.

Another thing people are not taking into account is that the world will not be as full with food as the great plateau. Expect segments (like a desert) where there will be no food around. If you want to survive it, you'll have to gather food from other places. So that huge inventory of food will run out pretty quickly as you spend hours exploring the world or a dungeon.

TheMoon

Those kind of limitations will just piss people off, a "one step forward, two steps back" sort of thing.

The best thing is for people to manage items on their own. You want the game to be hard? Don't pick up food or don't cook it so you can only refill in small increments.
Want it to be easy? Stock up on cooked food. But definitely don't disable my ability to eat whenever I want.

Another thing people are not taking into account is that the world will not be as full with food as the great plateau. Expect segments (like a desert) where there will be no food around. If you want to survive it, you'll have to gather food from other places. So that huge inventory of food will run out pretty quickly as you spend hours exploring the world or a dungeon.

I haven't seen people even picking up much food on the snowy mountain part of the Great Plateau. A dedicated winter region will probably be even worse. :)

ReyVGM

I haven't seen people even picking up much food on the snowy mountain part of the Great Plateau. A dedicated winter region will probably be even worse. :)

Exactly.

I'm actually dreading the whole cooking thing. I can see myself in a faraway place on the map, low on food, having to quick travel to the Great Plateau running around collecting food and then cooking them one by one, waiting on that cooking animation that while cute, will feel annoyingly long as you try to make a bunch of dishes on one go.

This is a good point. If the developers are willing to put enemies that can one shot you in the introductory region and allow you to leave the plateau from any direction, presumably into territory with high level mobs then they've probably considered food scarcity and balanced accordingly.

This is a good point. If the developers are willing to put enemies that can one shot you in the introductory region and allow you to leave the plateau from any direction, presumably into territory with high level mobs then they've probably considered food scarcity and balanced accordingly.

Yeah if that's the case then that definitely helps solve the pause and eat problem I had. Not that I even necessarily had a problem, since we've really seen so little of how this game will work.

Moving away from combat. I think people understate the paraglider in terms of movement. I think it ties Link's moveset all together in a nice bow. Particularly when you know it can be combined with Shield surfing. I've noticed that in most of the demos, Shield Surfing has a tendency to end just a bit too abruptly, that I think were the player able to glide could easily continue to move with speed.

Moving away from combat. I think people understate the paraglider in terms of movement. I think it ties Link's moveset all together in a nice bow. Particularly when you know it can be combined with Shield surfing. I've noticed that in most of the demos, Shield Surfing has a tendency to end just a bit too abruptly, that I think were the player able to glide could easily continue to move with speed.

Speed runs are going to be insane.

Nobodies even considered jumping off of your horse into a shield surf, paraglide, or both either.

The only thing I hate about the paraglider is Link being able to keep the arms like that, he should at least stretch them completely.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'm betting on a BotW Direct either in this month, November, or mid-December.
I doubt we'll see anything until January when the Switch is further revealed, although I wouldn't be angry if they revealed something in the next few months. I hope they give us a teaser of some of the stuff we haven't seen, like towns or dungeons.

KrawlMan

I doubt we'll see anything until January when the Switch is further revealed, although I wouldn't be angry if they revealed something in the next few months. I hope they give us a teaser of some of the stuff we haven't seen, like towns or dungeons.

If they aren't gonna show off the Switch version, I don't want to see it. January is all I care about

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I think you're right. There's a chance we could get a new trailer or tease at the Game Awards, but that would only happen if they could further hype up the January 12th Switch event. Since I'm sure Nintendo will want to use the Game Awards to advertise the event, Zelda could be the way they do that. Perhaps they could announce something on the scale of Cranky Kong.

Luigiv

That seems pretty unlikely. Chances are we'll get a new trailer and a release date at the Switch conference, then we'll get a direct closer to the games actual launch (which for all we know could be months after the Switch's launch).

Dang are they delaying it again? That would be super weird... I'm more inclined to think Emily is wrong on this one, even if she's pretty much reliable. I mean, even Miyamoto can't be that misleading in his comments... can he? He said new Mario would be ready in a year or two... (I sure hope they don't rush it)

Nickle

I think you're right. There's a chance we could get a new trailer or tease at the Game Awards, but that would only happen if they could further hype up the January 12th Switch event. Since I'm sure Nintendo will want to use the Game Awards to advertise the event, Zelda could be the way they do that. Perhaps they could announce something on the scale of Cranky Kong.
Totally forgot about the Game Awards, it's very possible that they would release a new trailer while all the attention is on Zelda rather then the Switch.

I'm just imagining Geoff glaring at Reggie while he makes the grand announcement that Beedle is a returning character, lol.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just imagining Geoff glaring at Reggie while he makes the grand announcement that Beedle is a returning character, lol.

Yep, this is basically what I expect. Haha. But perhaps Happy Mask Salesman instead.

ReyVGM

They'll just keep posting screenshots and stuff like they have been doing. No point in releasing a trailer in December if the game is going to be "re-revealed" in January.

Also, Nintendo hasn't released any Switch specific gameplay videos aside from the ones in the reveal footage, so a BotW trailer in December would have to be either of the WiiU version (which there's no point in showing anymore), or a Switch version (which they would rather hold until January).

In short, don't expect any new trailer.

Confirms the gamecenter vid was from a newer build, which I didn't know. That misc section is particularly interesting, perhaps evidence of NPC schedules like Majora's Mask (omg omg).

I definitely prefer the old game over style though.

Yep, me too. The one in this build kind of looks like a placeholder "game over".

TheMoon

Not happening. Also why, way too early for a Direct. Game-specific Directs happen very close to launch only.

Dang are they delaying it again? That would be super weird... I'm more inclined to think Emily is wrong on this one, even if she's pretty much reliable. I mean, even Miyamoto can't be that misleading in his comments... can he? He said new Mario would be ready in a year or two... (I sure hope they don't rush it)

No, nothing is getting delayed here. Stop this madness.

Confirms the gamecenter vid was from a newer build, which I didn't know. That misc section is particularly interesting, perhaps evidence of NPC schedules like Majora's Mask (omg omg).

I definitely prefer the old game over style though.

The build being Japanese confirmed that already since the E3 build was in English.

ReyVGM

The part about expandable inventory is interesting to me. I wonder what the limit is for stacking materials though.

My guess it's going to be big. Just from the small Plateau area he filled one grid already. I imagine all the other areas will have their own exclusive items too.

Gsnap

It's gonna be a really big deal. Zelda hasn't had this kind of mobility boost since... forever? I mean, you kinda had some with Majora's Mask, but even then those were limited to the mask you wore and didn't connect with anything else.

This is like a Mario 64 style revolution for movement in Zelda.

Dr.Hadji

It's gonna be a really big deal. Zelda hasn't had this kind of mobility boost since... forever? I mean, you kinda had some with Majora's Mask, but even then those were limited to the mask you wore and didn't connect with anything else.

This is like a Mario 64 style revolution for movement in Zelda.

Skyward Sword's dashing.

But yah, being able to dashh, jump, climb, glide, and slide at almost any time is a pretty big jump in movement options.

Matbtz

Skyward Sword's dashing.

But yah, being able to dashh, jump, climb, glide, and slide at almost any time is a pretty big jump in movement options.

I agree but what about roll ? If I can't roll at all with Link I'll be pretty sad... For a minute

Caelus

Looking at some gameplay videos of Skyward Sword after a while, it's insane how large and ugly the HUD is, like ugh.

I love the game to death but really, BoTW looks like such a massive step up in so many ways.

Even in the smallest details like removing the black bars when Z-targeting, it really feels like they've listened to our criticisms, big and small.

It's gonna be a long wait.

udivision

Looking at some gameplay videos of Skyward Sword after a while, it's insane how large and ugly the HUD is, like ugh.

I love the game to death but really, BoTW looks like such a massive step up in so many ways.

Even in the smallest details like removing the black bars when Z-targeting, it really feels like they've listened to our criticisms, big and small.

That's more of a resolution thing, to be fair.

I love the depth-of-field effect that takes over when Z-targetting, and haven't seen it get a lot of mentions around here. It looks really good to me.

And yeah, the UI as a whole is really pleasing to my eyes - a very nice balance between slickness and function.

ReyVGM

You can turn off the ugly controller HUD thing, it makes it look much better.

But once you're playing the game, you don't really notice the HUD.

LordKano

Oh the Game Center DX video was from a new build ?
I'll watch it carefully, I didn't bother since I thought it was another rehash of E3.

Not sure if old but, I got an email from Amazon saying they got a new release date from the publisher. It lists the date as April 6th 2017.

Vidiot

Not sure if old but, I got an email from Amazon saying they got a new release date from the publisher. It lists the date as April 6th 2017.

I got one too but it said March 31st. Sounds like a placeholder to me. April 6th would be neat though. It's the day before my birthday.

Caelus

You can turn off the ugly controller HUD thing, it makes it look much better.

Yeah I know, the presence of options made me happy, but even the hearts, shield meter and item button are big relative to the rest of the screen space. Twilight Princess Wii didn't even have such a large HUD.

I haven't played Skyward Sword in a while but when I was, I wasn't necessarily bothered by the HUD or even Fi, it's just jarring to look at now after watching BotW footage in the past few months and seeing how sleek and unobtrusive everything is.

I also had no idea they changed up the control scheme (B is sprint, Y is attack, X is jump), this is going to feel so crisp and fresh.

Nickle

I told the producer Aonuma and the director Fujibayashi, "Just going to Ganon with nakedness" as a joke, but I have been able to do so many ways of playing.
It seems Nintendo is finally appeasing the DeviantArt crowd.

so after watching the gamexplain video a few times, I have come to a few conclusions. The map, specifically the regions/landmasses have been the same but obviously refined over time, meaning the world itself has been done for quite some time. Also my main complaint about the main footage from e3 was that a lot that demo area looked similar, but seeing them break down region by region makes you appreciate the small glimpses of other regions and their climates/topology.

If Zelda isn't a launch game, and at this point im leaning towards it not making launch, I think there is much more to the open world that we have been lead to believe, even if you take into account that Nintendo removed npcs and town from the demo.I think they are really populating the world with various side quest that they don't even want to show off yet, leading me to believe they are a large focus for the development team, whereas in past zelda games it has felt as an after thought.

The other large aspect I believe the team to have been working primarily on is the towns and the story. So far indications have lead us to the assumption that the story may not be so in your face narrative, but you discover it bit by bit as you advance through the game. However, I think that this will be a large part of the world building but we will also get a very focused narrative on top of the world building and lore that's been alluded to.

The last Zelda game I truly felt was a great entry was Wind Waker. I enjoyed Twilight Princess but felt disappointed by both its pacing and overall story. Skyward Sword, to me at least, felt very much like a complete misstep. This feels like the game that I have been waiting for Nintendo to make in this franchise for the last 15 years.

I never would have thought that this team, especially after Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, could make a great open world. At this point I think not only will this be a great world, but also possibly set new precedents for how people approach open world games.

ced

Has Nintendo or any of the leaks mentioned if they're keeping parity between the Wii U and Switch or giving the switch version more graphical bells & whistles (with the exception of resolution) etc?

Peru

Has Nintendo or any of the leaks mentioned if they're keeping parity between the Wii U and Switch or giving the switch version more graphical bells & whistles (with the exception of resolution) etc?

Probably not. Whether the Switch trailer featured gameplay footage from the system or not it'll probably look the same but potentially run a little different (frame rate wise).

61BGjO6l.jpg

Thanks giving exists in Hyrule it seems.

Top Bottom