• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

I've just never bought the NX release timeline and I'm cynically sticking to my long ago prediction based on Nintendo's historical console delays. Don't mean to imply I know anything others don't.

What history of console delays? IIRC, last Nintendo platform that was delayed past a previously announced date/timeframe was GC's NA launch, and that was only by a couple weeks.

Was this shared yet?

Ck7kiJ7WkAASbuw.jpg:large

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Looks great!

I feel sad for the people that only have something to complain about and can't enjoy a new Zelda reveal.

neogaf.gif your favorite game sucks!

Don't like the amiibo stuff, and them using that as the reason for the lack of a "companion" character. I figured the voice that awoke you would act as that through the game. :c

Ryoku

Looks great!

I feel sad for the people that only have something to complain about and can't enjoy a new Zelda reveal.

neogaf.gif your favorite game sucks!

I feel sorry for the people who require a "technically advanced" game in order to find it beautiful.

Caelus

The jump from Skyward Sword to this game is astonishing, even if there are some precursor elements in A Link Between Worlds, this is such a drastic change in direction in the Zelda series. It's like they've read internet complaints and ideas and took them to heart, fusing it with their own ideas and better elements of past entries.

Knowing we have about a year left, I'm sure we'll be exposed to a game with plenty of features, NPC's, villages, dungeons, along with graphical updates. The setting itself has me very optimistic. We haven't even seen Epona and her potential camping + inventory features. My only real complaint is the fonts, but whatever.

Very excited, but always cautious.

mario_O

damn the game looks so dated, and honestly the graphics look kinda of ugly, huge downgrade from the original trailer. combat looks so dated and boring as well.

They should've shown a dungeon and some of the world. The game world isn't that great to be the only focus, it looks dated and bland... it's like they changed the water of OoT with big empty plains with few random enemies here and there. At least that's what we've seen so far.

thelastword

Banned
IQ on this game is so bad, textures, aliasing/shimmering. The effects fits the artsyle and I'm sure the gameplay will be amazing, but man Nintendo really needs to invest in some proper hardware. I think that is killing their franchises more than anything, we need to see these games evolve graphically, we need to see what a team like than can do with a powerful console.

It is a mixed bag for me. Some parts look so polished, lots of blades of grass, all moving and then he enters a more open area and you see low res textures, pop in and so on. Hoping this will be at least sorted on NX.

MCN

Banned
IQ on this game is so bad, textures, aliasing/shimmering. The effects fits the artsyle and I'm sure the gameplay will be amazing, but man Nintendo really needs to invest in some proper hardware. I think that is killing their franchises more than anything, we need to see these games evolve graphically, we need to see what a team like than can do with a powerful console.

Or, you know, spend the next 10 months or so actually finishing the game.

Yado

I'm really quite conflicted with this. It looks alright. I like the hands off approach they're taking to let you get on with it. But the way they're talking about the features, there was stuff that been in gaming (Elder Scrolls is one that springs to mind) for like 10 years. Setting fire to grass, world physics- things they were making a deal out of. I'm glad they're there and that Zelda is evolving - it just seems so far behind the curve.

If this was any developer outside of Nintendo, say it was a new IP from Microsoft, would it be acceptable?

So should they just not mention the features of the game they're showing off? They're just little details they're taking note of since they can't reveal any spoilers.

That's exactly what this game is doing. The last console Zelda entry was released on 2001-level hardware.

They just confirmed in an interview that the game will have no towns. They clarified that it's a Hyrule in ruins and they took direct inspiration from the world of the NES LOZ. They did confirm that there will be a handful of stray NPCs throughout the world but no towns or villages in the traditional sense. Also, they claimed that link will not have any kind of partner and will be exploring alone for the entire game.
No towns :(

Barryman

I hate to be a downer (who am I kidding, I actually enjoy it) but man did that first demo look tedious as sin. Remember when everyone hated collectathons?

I'm really quite conflicted with this. It looks alright. I like the hands off approach they're taking to let you get on with it. But the way they're talking about the features, there was stuff that been in gaming (Elder Scrolls is one that springs to mind) for like 10 years. Setting fire to grass, world physics- things they were making a deal out of. I'm glad they're there and that Zelda is evolving - it just seems so far behind the curve.

If this was any developer outside of Nintendo, say it was a new IP from Microsoft, would it be acceptable?
It's completely normal for a series to take some mechanics from a different genre. This is Zelda with more rpg elements and interactive physics, it IS a big deal for the series.
It's like putting some basic rpg elements in The Last of Us and then say that it's been done before. That's not the point. It's like putting more guns and action in Resident Evil, that's what made RE4 a great game.

They are being VERY careful not to give away any story. There could be tons of NPCs in the game, we saw one at the beginning. I'm happy just seeing the world right now.

Bytes

I have a sneaking suspicion that those "incredibly detailed" amiibos will be "incredibly less detailed" when they actually release.

yeah, it would be, if that game were actually using those features as gameplay mechanics as opposed to visual fluff...

when was the last time you set fire to grass to clear an area of enemies, cut down a tree to make a bridge, crushed your enemies with a rolling boulder, etc... in Elder Scrolls?

Was thinking the same. The mountain landscape reminded me of Skellige in Witcher 3, except it looks three times worse.

muteant

Line to play (or just get tickets to play later?) is insane, feels as if everyone who walked through the West Hall doors headed straight to the Nintendo booth.

Top Bottom