• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Burny

Is the game world randomly generated?

Doesn't look like it. Maybe things like foliage, some textures etc. are placed using "brush" like tools that automate the process. But the rest doesn't look generated. Complete procedural generation would most likely not work in Zelda, once specific items and puzzles come into play either. Although the footage looks as if much of the overworld game mechanics don't rely on specific items anymore, but leave a lot more room for various solutions.

Snakeyes

As for being slightly above, below, right on or in between the XBone and PS4 - It doesn't matter at all. Those are three year old systems, soon to be updated to the "Neo" and "Scorpio".

But all the software will still be built around the three year old systems rather than Neo and Scorpio.

Chaos17

I do wonder if - assuming everything goes well - Breath of the Wild will be remembered less for mechanics introduced and more for the level of cohesiveness with whuch all these separate elements are bound together.

That's mot to say BOTW isn't doing anything original, and there's a lot more to see, but it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Excited as fuck.

What Nintendo is doing with new Zelda is basiacly what made Blizzard popular.
Blizzard take a shaker, take multiple cool things they like, shake it shake it and BOUM make an awesome game! That's Blizzard maigic, lol

Vintage_Ladies_Shaking_Cocktails_gif.gif

I beleive Nintendo is capable of doing the same magic as Blizzard: make a beautiful cocktail while still being original :)
Both companies put gameplay first instead of graphics. They ressemble a lot each other and that's why I like them both a lot.

The only thing I'm gonna need to get use to is Link bring Right handed.

I've never played a game where's he's not left handed. Not a big deal, but I'm use to seeing link left handed.

He was right handed in the Wii Zelda games right?
The reasoning is kind of dumb as well, not sure why they're going for it but it's not a big deal.

Metal Gear V is not the closest. It surpasses what we have seen of the Zelda so far. Downright incredible you could make that statement. It's a disservice to the achievement that game is to say it's surpassed by a demo that people got to play a couple of days. Not to mention it was made to run across a variety of hardware platforms in mind, ones from the last generation with 1/4 or (1/2 depending on your criteria) of the Wii U's memory even. Memory is really important for games of large scale.

And that's the thing, people focus in specific stuff that makes sense on the Zelda world to say how innovative and above everything else is. Of course Snake won't be shield surfing or using an axe to chop down a tree, just like Link won't be dropping from an Helicopter guns blazing to strom an enemy base or directing an air strike.

Some things took more priority in Zelda while other things in different games. There are multiple examples:

Enemy AI and behavior is far more complex in Metal Gear, while Zelda has a fire simulation in place. Metal Gear has Mother Base which is a very complex simulation system on itself. Far Cry 2 had the Malaria System, vehicular degradation and repair and a Faction System influenced by player choice. GTA IV had the Euphoria Physcis system that governed all characters within the world and generated procedural animations.

Everyone of those systems gave a sense of uniqueness to each of those games.
FWIW I didn't mean to imply that MGSV doesn't surpass what we've seen from Zelda so far. Just that it's the only game I've played that really reminds me of what I'm seeing from Zelda in a mechanical sense (wherein gameplay-centric mechanics can combine in surprisingly enabling ways to form the real meat of the game), which is why I qualified that statement.

You and EatChildren are right though, I've got to figure out how to better frame my opinion of this game, it's certainly not the first of its kind but its unique execution has me head over heels.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I don't question that this game has the Nintendo charm that many non-Nintendo games lack. All the cute animations, hidden secrets, etc are awesome and are things I would rather have in a game than perfect physics. I also don't question that this is the first game ever to combine different elements in this specific way, because... well this is the only game that is this specific game.

My point is that the technology here is not particularly advanced in any way, shape or form (which the original post I replied to seemed to convey). You can go back to 1998 for physics-based puzzles (Half-Life, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are earlier ones I don't know about). In terms of open worlds, I usually think open world games are terrible so I'm not going to defend them as a whole (games like Dragon Age and Shadow of Mordor are outright bad), but I'll steal the example you used of MGSV. The animations and the directness of the gameplay are certainly more advanced than Zelda, and in my opinion just as artful. I'm no great judge of AI, but sequences such as "Fire is near enemy > enemy has wooden object > Enemy lights wooden object with the fire" are certainly not in any way advanced - they're simply charming. And of course, being endearing and charming and fun is a million times more important than being advanced. I'm simply saying to not confuse the two.

I point this out due to my concern that Nintendo fans can sometimes live in a very secluded bubble, where Nintendo is supposedly the only company that cares about gameplay and charm. In truth, these qualities are quite common, but are just not mixed with Nintendo's specific recipe. If you like Nintendo's flavor the best that is certainly valid, but don't be deluded into thinking it's revolutionary on any level - it's just a bit different. And that's fine.
The reason that these small physics touches are so impressive is that they are implemented in a world where getting somewhere is a puzzle itself. Games like MGSV or GTA V have a ton of really cool physics details, but you can easily traverse those worlds by just walking or using a helicopter. BotW is impressive because they've found a way to give the player tons of options without completely breaking the way you traverse the world.

FWIW I didn't mean to imply that MGSV doesn't surpass what we've seen from Zelda so far. Just that it's the only game I've played that really reminds me of what I'm seeing from Zelda in a mechanical sense (wherein gameplay-centric mechanics can combine in surprisingly enabling ways to form the real meat of the game), which is why I qualified that statement.

You and EatChildren are right though, I've got to figure out how to better frame my opinion of this game, it's certainly not the first of its kind but its unique execution has me head over heels.
No problem... it has been a pleasure exchanging with you even when we are not in agreement.

There are various other Open World games not mentioned much or things about ones already metnioned in terms of systems and simulations that are super interesting.

AT Dmax, even if im not quoting your post. The fire in Farcry 2 had marked impact on the gameplay, is not such a shallow system as you are making it out to be.

i' ve yet to see fires in Breath of the Wild that have the exension of the ones in Far Cry 2. They could be initiated by many means, even ones outside of the player's control: Either an enemy, a vehicle that took too much damage, a rocket that missfired due to the rocket launcher been faulty, some one firing a bullet that hit a munition depot. It's posible to create them to completely distract an entire camp and there was even a settlement (favela style) one could burn.

Btw, im refraining to say which is better, but rest asured it was quite a cool system in Far Cry 2.

ReyVGM

Didn't the very first Zelda also take a bunch of ideas from its contemporaries to wrap them up in one single package?

Not really. You could say they might have been inspired by Adventure, but other than that, there weren't any other games like it.

There was Ultima and Wizardry, but it was Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy that took inspiration from those.

What the very first Zelda did take was the mythos of Tolkien, Elves, and Peter Pan. Link himself is a mix of Peter Pan and the classical Tolkien Elves.

Burny

But all the software will still be built around the three year old systems rather than Neo and Scorpio.

Only if MS and Sony indefinitely mandate everybody to gimp the NeoScorpio ports of games to be only slightly better running at improved resolutions without any other notable changes. And I doubt that will be the case forever. Maybe initially in order to appease owners of the older system revisions, but at some point I suspect studios will want to use those extra processing capabilities to give their games visual advantages. And I also suspect owners of those systems having paid a premium will want studios to make use of those capabilities at some point.

Experience with the Wii U has also shown that games still having been developed for the PS360 didn't result in many synergy effects for the Wii U. Support faded quickly after some half hearted multi platform ports. And working on last gen hardware means Nintendo games will only ever be that: games on last gen hardware. Six years down the line, we may see what Nintendo games may look like on today's mid range hardware.

As great as BotW looks and hopefully plays, it's a game designed around the rough equivalent of a 2005 high end system.

Only if MS and Sony indefinitely mandate everybody to gimp the NeoScorpio ports of games to be only slightly better running at improved resolutions without any other notable changes. And I doubt that will be the case forever. Maybe initially in order to appease owners of the older system revisions, but at some point I suspect studios will want to use those extra processing capabilities to give their games visual advantages. And I also suspect owners of those systems having paid a premium will want studios to make use of those capabilities at some point.

Experience with the Wii U has also shown that games still having been developed for the PS360 didn't result in many synergy effects for the Wii U. Support faded quickly after some half hearted multi platform ports. And working on last gen hardware means Nintendo games will only ever be that: games on last gen hardware. Six years down the line, we may see what Nintendo games may look like on today's mid range hardware.

As great as BotW looks and hopefully plays, it's a game designed around the rough equivalent of a 2005 high end system.

The wonderful thing about BotW is that none of what you just said matters, at all.

PKrockin

So Samus is going to be in the new Zelda? I mean, ya, seeing this pop out would be pretty scary.

Though it may also be a tad unfair.

She's part space-bird.

She's actually part-Chozo? I thought she was just raised by the Chozo. Disclaimer: I am not a Metroid fan.

Vena

She's actually part-Chozo? I thought she was just raised by the Chozo. Disclaimer: I am not a Metroid fan.

Yes. To survive on Zebes after she was orphaned and rescued by Chozo, she needed to be genetically modified with their DNA. This is why she can use the Chozo artifacts and her power armor, and why the Chozo ghosts test her as if she were one of their own. Its also part of why she is as strong as she is, since she inherited warrior Chozo DNA.

Come Fusion, she's also part-Metroid as well. Makes me curious if she'll be able to touch people and suck out their lives...

Snakeyes

Of course there will be graphical upgrades right from the start. Mechanically, however, games will still be built around the 60 or so million PSBones that are already out in the wild, and that number will only increase after this holiday season. I could be wrong, but these new systems seem to mainly be targeted at the enthusiast crowd. Phil Spencer mentions 4K PC games when talking about Scorpio. Sony specifically said that one of the main goals of the Neo is to stop PS4 owners from jumping ship to PC.

So the enthusiasts will get what matters to them the most; better graphics, level of detail, resolution and performance, but the core of the games will be designed with the current hardware in mind, at least until the following PS and Xbox revisions... which are looking to release in 2019-2020 at the earliest, as I doubt Sony and Microsoft will be looking to put another pair of $400-500 systems on the market less than two years after Neo and Scorpio.

If Nintendo intends to get ports of third-party multiplats, all they need to do is get somewhere in the ballpark of the PS4 and XB1 with good development tools, and they should be set until those systems have been more or less phased out by the AAA development studios (basically where the PS360 were in 2014). The rest is a matter of install base and target audience.

Snakeyes

Not really. You could say they might have been inspired by Adventure, but other than that, there weren't any other games like it.

There was Ultima and Wizardry, but it was Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy that took inspiration from those.

What the very first Zelda did take was the mythos of Tolkien, Elves, and Peter Pan. Link himself is a mix of Peter Pan and the classical Tolkien Elves.

Dragon Slayer and Xanadu were quite similar to Zelda.

Tower of Druaga and Hydlide preceded Zelda no Densetsu by at least a year and could have influenced the game. I don't think Falcom's games had any impact on production, actually.

MuchoMalo

Banned
No, since the Wii, they go: "Which is the cheapest mass producable hardware supporting our next console's gimmick that we can get away with?" :p

As for being slightly above, below, right on or in between the XBone and PS4 - It doesn't matter at all. Those are three year old systems, soon to be updated to the "Neo" and "Scorpio". Systems that, at least in theory, support rendering games in 4k rather than 1080p, which was far too often not even possible ont he XBone, so being on par with that wouldn't exactly be a flattering feature of the NX. Those 2013 systems do not represent state of the art hardware anymore, and any minor difference in computational capabilities between the NX and those in either direction and in any of the relevant parameters won't change a thing about that. If the NX was on par with the Scorpio or Neo, then we'd be talking.

Not that I complain about it, because I can get my high end fix anytime on the PC. If the new Zelda delivers and renders in 1080p on the NX, it'll be the reason for me to own a NX and to play it above all the graphic whoring miracles available on any other platform. But one has to keep this in mind when it comes to the last ten years of Nintendo hardware: They're at least one generation behind. At the very least the game design in BotW is catching up a bit on the last decade of western game development. ;)

You're wrong on the first part, since if they had used more modern components with Wii or Wii U and aimed for the same performance level, they could have gone much cheaper. Wii had the specs it did because it made for an easy transition for Nintendo on every end, allowing them to focus on the controller, while also making the console small and keeping power consumption down. Wii U was designed the way it was for backwards compatibility and hitting their power target, though again something more modern in that same power budget would have been cheaper and/or faster.

"Modern hardware" and "low-power" are not mutually exclusive. By your definition, the the GTX 1070 as well as the upcoming AMD GPUs are all old and outdated because older cards exist which are able to outperform them. That's not how it works. I also disagree that Neo and Scorpio are the start of a new generation, but that's another can of worms. If they eventually become the standard then Nintendo is screwed, but NX may be ready for that for all we know. It would be suicide to match them right away though, since it offers nothing compelling over them other than Nintendo games.The only thing we'd be talking about is either how much of a flop it is due to Scorpio and Neo having better catalogs while NX only sells to Nintendo fans who happen to be graphics whores; in other words, an audience which doesn't really exist at this point. All of this is moot though, since at Zelda's launch we likely won't see physics engines that exceed what Xbone can do on consoles due to the compatibility requirements. Also, you need to understand that there's more to being up-to-date than raw power. NX should have a feature set on-par with or better than PS4/Xbone regardless of power, and the feature set between all 5 consoles and PC will be basically the same. In other words, there shouldn't be anything that NX simply can't do compared Scorpio; it just won't be able to do nearly as much of it or nearly as fast. Feature set is really the thing that hurt Wii and Wii U the most in terms of capabilities, not power.

PKrockin

Yes. To survive on Zebes after she was orphaned and rescued by Chozo, she needed to be genetically modified with their DNA. This is why she can use the Chozo artifacts and her power armor, and why the Chozo ghosts test her as if she were one of their own. Its also part of why she is as strong as she is, since she inherited warrior Chozo DNA.

Come Fusion, she's also part-Metroid as well. Makes me curious if she'll be able to touch people and suck out their lives...
Interesting, I didn't know that.

mantidor

So I was rewatching the first trailer.

Doesn't it look like a.. downgrade? I'm bothered specially by the trees to be honest, they look really bad now, like a stick with a few sprites for branches and leaves. I'm sure they will work on those but it's still something that I couldn't ignore.

gamerMan

Doesn't it look like a.. downgrade? I'm bothered specially by the trees to be honest, they look really bad now, like a stick with a few sprites for branches and leaves. I'm sure they will work on those but it's still something that I couldn't ignore.

I hate how the trees look in the recent e3 footage. I wonder of the scene in the original reveal trailer will appear in the game. The image quality wasn't that great so I thought it was running on the Wii U.

Burny

The wonderful thing about BotW is that none of what you just said matters, at all.

On the contrary. That philosophy is the reason BotW visuals are what they are - technically in the realm of 2005 games, but released in 2017. Grass popping in a few meters from the camera, any details lost in the distance and potentially not consistently hitting 30fps (seems to take a an occasional dive going by hands on impressions) depending on how well they can still optimize it for the WiiU until release. Not to mention render resolution being nowhere near 1920x1080. ;)

There's an upside of course: If the NX is roughly equivalent to the Xbone and PS4, it shouldn't even break a sweat running the game with a rock solid framerate, actually rendering it in the native resolution that any average monitor and TV today sports and hopefully with some less aggressive optimization in terms of grass fading out and the LOD replacing any trees more than 100m away from the camera with jarring paper cutouts.

On the contrary. That philosophy is the reason BotW visuals are what they are - technically in the realm of 2005 games, but released in 2017. Grass popping in a few meters from the camera, any details lost in the distance and potentially not consistently hitting 30fps (seems to take a an occasional dive going by hands on impressuons) depending on how well they can still optimize it for the WiiU until release. Not to mention render resolution being nowhere near 1920x1080. ;)

And guess what? Going by the game's reception, it doesn't matter. Like I said.

zoukka

In some ways you can see things look different. But that was a long time ago and work in progress. Plus the whole scene looks like it was setup just for the sake of the trailer so it's easy to make everything look awesome when the player can't control the camera.

Game is going to live or die based on how good the shrines are. Really hope they all have unique puzzles and cool layout's

lol @ a game like this living or dying on one specific aspect... anyway papa Bill Trinny already mentioned that ore than a few times he entered a shrine, had a quick look around and then simply marked the location for completion later because he wasnt even sure how to go about tackling it.

I will say that I do hope the general aesthetics of the shrines will start to vary a bit

Is there a limit to the amount of stamps we can place on the map?

Hopefully it's an unlimited amount. It's such a cool feature. I really hope no icons appear on the map automatically, except for maybe the main story-related quests.

Crayolan

Is there a limit to the amount of stamps we can place on the map?

Hopefully it's an unlimited amount. It's such a cool feature. I really hope no icons appear on the map automatically, except for maybe the main story-related quests.

We've already seen that there's an objective marker and that shrines have markers (since you can fast travel to them).

batbeg

We've already seen that there's an objective marker and that shrines have markers (since you can fast travel to them).

I believe the skulls indicating enemy encampments are also automatically added, too, according to the Kinda Funny footage. They also mentioned the pro controller was confirmed by a rep but I doubt that one is truly confirmed (though plausible?).

Crayolan

Breath of the Wild trailer is now Nintendo's most viewed Youtube video ever (at least for their American channel) with over 6.3m views.

I believe the skulls indicating enemy encampments are also automatically added, too, according to the Kinda Funny footage. They also mentioned the pro controller was confirmed by a rep but I doubt that one is truly confirmed (though plausible?).

There is a skull stamp so there also being a skull icon which is automatically added would be weird. There were stamps placed on the map specifically for the demo so maybe they confused the two.

As for pro controller, I don't know the source myself but there have been lots of people saying it was confirmed to have full pro controller support so I assume that's correct.

But are those shrines marked before you find them?

no

crushy

Neo Member

Just noticed the Mountain with the cliff in the middle is in the background to. Could help to determine where the first trailer takes place :)

Have people tried Crouching and attacking and seeing what that does? Really liking what I'm seeing from the combat overall. Even for this small amount of enemies for the what it effectively the tutorial area. (Though, it's actually somewhere around 9 enemies including the elemental reskins and buffed ones and not including the weapons those enemies can hold, which really isn't bad at all variety wise). You have a decent amount of options with running and a couple different weapon sets, you have to watch you durability and throw your weapons to adapt on the fly, you have some strategies in the runes (bomb runes in particular are great for lures and get aways), you have the incredibly satisfying parry (And I thought the Skyward Sword Parry was awesome), You have the bow with its plethora of arrow types(as well as the slow mo cliff jump if you can use it right[Which also consumes stamina interestingly enough)], which probably will be made much easier with the paraglider which also has it's own transitions into attacks such as the downward thrust for one handed swords), you can gather up enemies to set up a fury strike to take them all out at once (something I saw only once in the demo, but damn was it cool and it doesn't seem too easy to pull off). But you also have weaknesses, I like that none of your dodges seem to have have invincibility frames so you really do have to watch your spacing at times especially around enemies with Flaming Boko Clubs or strong Swords. What's also cool and might end up being used as rolls in speed runs is using the Shield surfing because in one the IGN videos, the person pretty much flings themselves around with the board which could be insane for movement purposes even outside slopes and if one were to get good enough, use all their weapons as well.

Though I didn't get to see Vertical Strikes from previous Zeldas by holding the lock on button and attacking, are they still in?

So there's some real depth and decision making in the combat this time and the enemies are more punishing than usual. I suppose we'll see how later enemies scale up in damage and movesets to see how it goes later on but it's rather promising at first glance. It's probably not the greatest combat system ever created but it seems to be above average and very satisfying which is great for I could hope for in a game like this that tries to do a lot of things.

But are those shrines marked before you find them?

None of the Shrines seem to be marked even when you get your map. You have to actively look for them like any other secret in the world. Though they do get registered into your map once you do find and use the Slate to enter them unlike every other secret and part of the world which has to be marked by hand.

KrawlMan

Yeah I did the same thing not long ago and came to a similar conclusion. Just as somebody else said, this was pretty early on, and I'm sure they hadn't quite nailed down just what they could eek out of the Wii U. I assume this was a "best guess" to present the game well, but the final result doesn't quite match up.

On the plus side, you could imagine that if they have any better assets from the development process that they could still exist in the NX version (just dreamin :p)

TheMoon

No, I don't think so. The map seems dark and empty at the beginning.

Maps are not revealed until you activate a Tower of Resurrection in the respective area. That's how you reveal the map. Until then, everything is just black.

Shrines aren't marked because why would they, discovering them is part of the gameplay loop.

TrueBlue

I do like how even after updating your map at a Resurrection Tower, it isn't suddenly littered with icons and the like telling you where to go. You still have to find things for yourself.

I do like how even after updating your map at a Resurrection Tower, it isn't suddenly littered with icons and the like telling you where to go. You still have to find things for yourself.

Yep, it's wonderful. I'm sure there are some other open world games that utilize a similar approach, but I can't think of any. At least not any modern ones.

Top Bottom