• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

I thought despite having a remote trigger, bombs blew up on contact with living things including Link. There was a stream where one rolled back and blew him up.

Nvm another part of that video disproves that idea.

I have seen several times when people use the round bombs when the cubed ones would work much better. Drives me nuts.

That's probably because having two different types of bombs each dedicated to being tossed out in a certain way is a shitty user experience.

Have one type of bomb, and make it easier to control how you toss them out.

-MB-

I had a wacky idea that the towers can be powered up to become massive timeshift stones which send a whole region back into the past. There is one tower near Hyrule Castle and one on the Great Plateau with the Temple of Time. These are both obvious places where settlements could have existed in the past before Ganon's devastation. The one on the Great Plateau is called "Tower of Resurrection". I don't know if they are all towers of resurrection but the name does suggest they have a role to play in some kind of rebirth.

That would be quite a nice nod towards Terranigma that had such a thing as well.

TheMoon

I talked about it in the other thread. But I think that he lives in that hut we see in the gameplay videos. It's located near the place where he is cutting tree in the trailer and when Link visited it it was abandoned. Treehouse guys said that Nintendo removed some story elements to avoid spoilers so I think that's one of them.

Definitely, no question. I was actually surprised I didn't mention the hut in that post as well.

ReyVGM

Love this idea. Do you have a link perchance to Miyamoto's comments?

Once I get to my PC tonight I'll look for the quote. It was in an interview, he said that there are going to be so many sidequests that you could forget about the main story. Although, he could have meant the mini dungeons too.

It was the same interview where he said your actions could modify the world.

ReyVGM

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Really really hope they bring back timeshift stones. Easily the best gameplay mechanic and story lore bit in Skyward sword.

Mensrea

I really hope that some portion of the map is water, and there are better boats than the lousy looking one shown. Wind Waker sailing is my favorite thing from Zelda and I wish they would incorporate that sailing discovery into breath of the wild somewhat. Doubt it would happen, but it would be choice.

I really hope that some portion of the map is water, and there are better boats than the lousy looking one shown. Wind Waker sailing is my favorite thing from Zelda and I wish they would incorporate that sailing discovery into breath of the wild somewhat. Doubt it would happen, but it would be choice.

The entire right side of the map is pretty much coastal with indications of shallow and deep water, several islands, etc. We will definitely be building a bigger boat, and probably also getting some sort of Zora's clothing allowing some deep sea diving

Matbtz

I don't know if that was posted and known by all but I just re-watched "Beyond the plateau" video and Aonuma said (around 5min)

"The plateau is like a sacred place where people can't go easily nor monsters".
So maybe that's why there are no towns in this particular area and not so much NPC, it could explain the "emptiness" of the area even if I do not find it too empty myself.

EDIT :
The Old Man was chopping wood in the trailer. So I think this is one of the places he can be found later on in the game. Maybe he'll hang out in the small cave in the beginning every now and then or even hunt?

In the 2014 teaser we saw those people with those Asian hats working the field. That might be part of their activity schedule. Though it's safe to say it can't be as granular and elaborate as MM with it's repeating cycle, we can safely expect some kind of schedule and varying activities for NPCs. Hell, even Xenoblade has NPC schedules. Person A is hanging out here at dawn, walking there at noon, in front of their house at night.

I really hope for a system ala Majoras Mask. The old man being at the beggining of the game then chopping wood could be a hint yes. Maybe he live in the wooden house we saw several times in the hands on.

Matbtz

No they were removed from the demo. They said that during the gameplay.

Yeah just after my quote Bill said :
One of the thing you are not seing in the E3 version are any towns or any other characters and there is a specific reason for that. It's because we don't want to go into story and character details to not spoil it for ppl. So rather than showing that off we are focusing on the E3 version, but there are towns, once you get out into the world you'll encounter ppl ...

In my interpretation he said that there are no towns in this particular region. You could interpret that quote as they removed towns for that E3 version but I will find that odd.

Furthermore this is what the old man is saying to link :
- is a bit of a surprise to see a fellow traveler these days
-I'm just a strange old man, that's all. One has lived here, alone, for quite sometime now.

So between that and the plateau being a sacred place, I think this is most likely that the towns are outside the plateau and not removed for the E3 version, IMHO.

Really really hope they bring back timeshift stones. Easily the best gameplay mechanic and story lore bit in Skyward sword.
Maybe the 6th Rune can be an evolution of the time shift stone concept.

But instead of carrying an object, the player could have more control over the ability. For example, when the time shift Rune is activated, you can aim, and fire it into an specific part of the environment, creating a time buble with some limited radio of influence.

It eould be a weird abscense not to have the mechanic since with Breath of the Wild, the team is expanding on the "magical technology" concept introduced in Skyward Sword.

I have seen several times when people use the round bombs when the cubed ones would work much better. Drives me nuts.

Meh. Like none of the gameplay videos from e3 show any semblance of "skilled" play. Just be happy if the person isn't getting nude and/or constantly trying to shoot the bow with no arrows. Can't really blame them though since it was just the press at a timed event with something they never saw before.

Chaos17

In my interpretation he said that there are no towns in this particular region. You could interpret that quote as they removed towns for that E3 version but I will find that odd.

-I'm just a strange old man, that's all. One has lived here, alone, for quite sometime now.

So between that and the plateau being a sacred place, I think this is most likely that the towns are outside the plateau and not removed for the E3 version, IMHO.

There's a possibility that the tutorial zone won't have a village because Nintendo did say that not many come up on the plateau.

We know there's: an old man (for some tutorial?) and Korok (for finding cool spots?)

Absolutely, I find it peculiar that anyone thinks otherwise.

Yeah i figured he didn't exactly say what i thought.

Mensrea

The entire right side of the map is pretty much coastal with indications of shallow and deep water, several islands, etc. We will definitely be building a bigger boat, and probably also getting some sort of Zora's clothing allowing some deep sea diving

I hope you are right, I just don't know if the scale of the water on the right of the map will be enough for any meaningful seafaring adventures/exploration. I'd love to be wrong though :)

DaveMG

Banned
It seems even nintendo cant get the name of the game right, according to this email i just got.

r9bqUD2.png

TheMoon

My hype just went Super Saiyan.

Everything I read just makes the wait harder...

Why are people still getting hyped by my post that I debunked shortly after ... this is not the location from OoT, guys! :(

->>>>
You're actually right.

Let me debunk my own find right here lol.

herezcs6j.jpg

boosadnessf4sim.jpg

https://youtu.be/NIrY56yg7dY?t=952

Sorry to blow and then unblow everyone's minds but I think it was worth it. Still a really really cool shoutout as I still believe it is a fully intentional design.

I think before that confusion I had identified the abbey as the part where the stationary Guardian is fought, no?

edit:
yes, totally.

guardianabbeyevzd5.jpg

https://youtu.be/NMs2tLKK088?t=667

I absolutely do not think they are being that direct with the OoT callbacks, but if they are, and they handle it well, it will probably be better than Dark Souls 3 doing roughly the same thing.

*slowlyputshandsaroundLegendofLex'sthroat*

tumblr_nghm4ygSHN1s021dwo1_500.gif

My guess is that NX's release date might not be set in stone and it would probably be better PR to either:
Confirm Zelda as a launch title at a later date
or
If NX is delayed, Zelda is technically not delayed as it was always "2017".

Yeah, they aren't going to confirm the launch titles for NX until they're closer to the NX launch date.

That includes Zelda.

This isn't a fact, actually.

It's just that Zelda being March 2017 isn't a fact, it's a guess.
My guess is that NX's release date might not be set in stone and it would probably be better PR to either:
Confirm Zelda as a launch title at a later date
or
If NX is delayed, Zelda is technically not delayed as it was always "2017".

Zelda is 2017.

NX is March 2017.

Zelda is not March 2017.

NX and Wii U versions of Zelda are gonna launch simultaneously.

Them's the facts.

My friend and I were having this exact argument the other day. Seems like quite a few people are calling Zelda BOTW a March 2017 game when there's not evidence to support that. What you said above is the exact extent of what we know.

All that aside, I would be shocked if this isn't a day-one NX game. Nintendo can say all they want about how they needed more time, but I think that's just a nice way to say they wanted to wait for NX. It's the same reason that Pikmin 4 was "practically done" a year ago if not longer.

As much as I have been a Nintendo fan since my childhood. Zelda hasn't really played a part in it, just a franchise I couldn't get into but I am really liking the look of this game, it looks great to play and it looks gorgeous with that Japanese animation vibe not to mention the really slick use of colours.

I'm just hoping the NX is to my liking as I want to buy this

My friend and I were having this exact argument the other day. Seems like quite a few people are calling Zelda BOTW a March 2017 game when there's not evidence to support that.

Nintendo actually did list March 2017 for the game at one point (on their press site), but quickly removed it.

I'm guessing it was a Freudian slip (or NoA just not being 100% aligned with what was actually announced on the NCL side) rather than someone getting a fact incorrect.

Could be interpreted in different ways but...

Scott Moffitt: First, it’s really important to have the right content. Software drives hardware. We’ve proven that multiple times. The right game can really lift a system. With The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild being among the titles we’re working on for NX, we’re very excited it will be an immediate reason game fans will want to buy the hardware.

Source: http://business.financialpost.com/f...-will-want-to-buy-nx-hardware?__lsa=b095-727b

Nintendo actually did list March 2017 for the game at one point (on their press site), but quickly removed it.

I'm guessing it was a Freudian slip (or NoA just not being 100% aligned with what was actually announced on the NCL side) rather than someone getting a fact incorrect.

I just did a quick search and found that you are indeed correct! I wonder if that was indeed a Freudian slip. From what I know of web design and data, it would be pretty hard for that to be an unintentional goof.

As someone said Zelda is only "2017" in case NX get delayed so they don't have to say Zelda was delayed again!

I honestly don't see NX getting delayed past March 2017. If anything, I'm willing to bet it will release earlier than that. As Nintendo's Fiscal Year ends in March, announcing NX for then struck me as Nintendo's version of putting a 30/12/2017 placeholder date.

TheMoon

Yea that's where all the March confusion started. Aside from many just assuming TP-style Zelda at launch scenarios. Which obviously would make a lot of sense :D

KingBroly

Banned
Yea that's where all the March confusion started. Aside from many just assuming TP-style Zelda at launch scenarios. Which obviously would make a lot of sense :D

They either wanted 'surprise! TP 2.0!' or don't want to commit to it.

But I think we all feel that NX isn't launching without this.

Top Bottom