• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit |OT| UK Referendum on EU Membership - 23 June 2016

Did you vote for the side that is going to win?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelthink

After this constant stream of hyperbolic shit about immigrants in the rags, recommendations from the Leveson Inquiry better be implemented.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

Tak3n

Banned
Boris Johnson in paper this morning

saying his first priorities would include withdrawing from the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice and "seizing back control of our borders".

Philly40

Done some readin this last two weeks on other EU countries. I would strongly suspect if the UK left the EU, it will trigger other countries to think about leaving too. The open door immigration policy appears to be a huge issue for many normal working class people across the EU. It's not reported by main stream media but the mass movement of people is stifling many towns. The huge problem with the Euro too and mass unemployment is really pushing some counties to breaking point (Italy for example).

I feel a sense of unease much of it not reported.

I hope you're reading more reliable sources than the ones where you quoted the "Rape is 1472% higher in Sweden now" story the other day.

I've also heard this narrative of "mainstream media covering up mass protests" a few times lately - sounds like a conspiracy is afoot!

Pixieking

Banned

Here's the Wiki for ECJ rulings.

You've got to be a little blinkered if you think some of those rulings are bad enough to withdraw from its jurisdiction. Even if some of them are bad, the good outweighs it, personally speaking.

Edit: Oh, and the New York Times and Washington Post have both had some very good articles about Brexit recently, and Politico.eu, too. All sites well worth looking at for a less exaggerated/more world-wide view of the issue.

Jasup

I hope you're reading more reliable sources than the ones where you quoted the "Rape is 1472% higher in Sweden now" story the other day.

I've also heard this narrative of "mainstream media covering up mass protests" a few times lately - sounds like a conspiracy is afoot!

Incidentally elsewhere in Europe, there was a rally of Finnish nationalists just yesterday in one of the bigger Finnish cities (Jyväskylä). It wasn't set up by one group group, but included for example a youth wing of one of the governing parties (the Finns) as well as a host of nationalist organisations.

This is how it turned out:
hannele-vestola.jpg
source

Note the pony rides for kids, it was a family event after all.

Tak3n

Banned
Incidentally elsewhere in Europe, there was a rally of Finnish nationalists just yesterday in one of the bigger Finnish cities (Jyväskylä). It wasn't set up by one group group, but included for example a youth wing of one of the governing parties (the Finns) as well as the host of nationalist organisations.

hannele-vestola.jpg
source

giphy.gif

DrFurbs

Well your intelligent sir. Perhaps do a little digging yourself.

I have admi, I'm concerned how we're going to cope as a nation if we ddon't leave..I mean what if...500k come next year or more.

Would we be able to cope? Is there any thing wrong with being concerned we can't?

liquidtmd

Banned
Incidentally elsewhere in Europe, there was a rally of Finnish nationalists just yesterday in one of the bigger Finnish cities (Jyväskylä). It wasn't set up by one group group, but included for example a youth wing of one of the governing parties (the Finns) as well as a host of nationalist organisations.

hannele-vestola.jpg
source

I'd post therearedozensofus.gif but I'd be stretching it

What does he mean exactly?

Garrison Britain?

tumblr_m0fdiet9NV1r1g4pjo3_400.gif

hannele-vestola.jpg
source

Excellent. Europe can keep its 'balls'.

Is Boris getting confused again? Does he mean the Euro Court of Human Rights instead of the ECJ?

Because we leave the ECJ when we leave the EU, so I'm not sure how it could be a priority that is separate from simply leaving.

"Our first priority when leaving the EU is to leave the EU". Such policy. Much statesman. Wow.

Related to this, who arbitrates in free trade treaty disputes between Switzerland/Norway and the EU. I've no idea how that works.

NekoFever

I remember when Romania got free movement there was a huge press junket at the airport on 1st Jan awaiting the flood of immigrants. In the end they only found one guy that said he was coming to immigrate.

Pretty dumb really. Did they really think all the immigrants were going to come on New Years Day?
I seem to remember them finding one who had worked here on a visa anyway and was coming back after spending Christmas at home. Or am I misremembering that?

Hasney

I think it's clear there's been a definite swing to remain last week, pre Jo Cox. That is only going to solidify over the next week and it should be a relatively comfortable victory for remain in the end.

Hopefully no-one gets complacent though. Get out and vote!

PJV3

if you add in the don't knows at 3 to 1 choosing remain, result will be comfortable for remain the question comes, will it be enough to stop the Tories imploding

I want a bunch of pissed off kippers returning to the party, it should add to the fireworks.

TeddyBoy

I think it's clear there's been a definite swing to remain last week, pre Jo Cox. That is only going to solidify over the next week and it should be a relatively comfortable victory for remain in the end.

While there has been a swing towards remain, a lot of us were seriously saying Britain was going to vote out come Thursday just a few days ago.

I'm still nervous and until the vote comes in Friday morning I'll continue to be nervous.

Dambrosi

Banned
Will the Remain lead be more or less than No's lead in ScotRef though? Anyone got odds on that?

(Let's not get complacent here, folks. A healthy dose of apprehension is a healthy thing when it comes to politics. Get out there and VOTE!)

While there has been a swing towards remain, a lot of us were seriously saying Britain was going to vote out come Thursday just a few days ago.

I'm still nervous and until the vote comes in Friday morning I'll continue to be nervous.
To be fair, that was before the tragic events of last Thursday, and the revelations that followed. Although the polls do suggest that public opinion was swinging back to Remain before then, but the posters shouting BrexiDoomed couldn't possibly have predicted what happened last week.

Jezbollah

I actually think Kent will vote out

It looks like this will very much be the case.

I spent most of yesterday at a barbeque (they live in Bromley). Also had a few friends from Maidstone around too. They were all talking about the massive Vote Leave displays from so many house windows and on roadsides, and the anti-EU feeling they got in general.

I will be surprised if Remain get 30% of the vote there to be honest.

Hopefully no-one gets complacent though. Get out and vote!

Honestly, Leave's surge last week and Farage's shocking tactics have probably done the Remain campaign the world of good. Complacency and a low turnout were always one of Remain's biggest threats and they won't be a worry now.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Is the voting going to come in like a general? Or are we more likely to have a very clear signal straight away?

Hasney

Is the voting going to come in like a general? Or are we more likely to have a very clear signal straight away?

With non exit polls, it'll likely take longer to get a clear picture. Yes/No is an easier count for the people doing it though, so we should know before heading to work in the morning unless it's really close.

Tak3n

Banned
I reckon the one person who is screwed either way is Osbourne, his fake punishment budget was mocked from all sides (including his own party) does he has any credibility left?

No chance of becoming next PM now

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Likely to take longer; fewer possible options increases the margin of error for each individual option in projections.

Tak3n

Banned
With non exit polls, it'll likely take longer to get a clear picture. Yes/No is an easier count for the people doing it though, so we should know before heading to work in the morning unless it's really close.

you would think in 2016 we could come up with a digital system...where you get a unique pin, which you enter, then vote...that way decisions can be instant

No, there won't be an exit poll and with very different demographics across polling areas it won't be until early Friday morning before a clear result starts to form.

There's no historical data to calculate a swing from so broadcasters are going to be very careful before about making projections too early on.

The below is a good run down:

http://gu.com/p/4yng6?

Isn't there a private company in the city running an exit poll of some type?

There's no official exit poll because the methodology used for exit polls doesn't work in a referendum.I'd be wary of placing too much faith in any exit poll that emerges.

Isn't there a private company in the city running an exit poll of some type?

Every company has there own one, my Bro in law works for a Hedge Fund and they've instructed there own exit poll (as a pooled one wouldn't give an advantage)

Edit Currency is the only market you should watch as thats 24/7, stocks are pretty much by market time. I know he's wrapping up at 5pm on vote day and rolling in at normal time the next day

RedShift

this is going to course a stir

https://twitter.com/murrisonMP/status/744466458231644160?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Follow

andrew murrisonVerified account
‏@murrisonMP
Remain side spinning Jo Cox murder for partisan advantage in #EUReferendum shameful.

Looks like it's been deleted now.

It's not scientific but this is basically the reason.
ClTPOq3WAAAoPKq.jpg

Can we talk about that "English pupils minority in 1,500 schools throughout the UK" line? Would those be the schools in Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland?

PJV3

Every company has there own one, my Bro in law works for Tudor Capital and they've instructed there own exit poll (as a pooled one wouldn't give an advantage)

Edit Currency is the only market you should watch as thats 24/7, stocks are pretty much by market time. I know he's wrapping up at 5pm on vote day and rolling in at normal time the next day

Ah interesting, I thought there was something special about the exit poll as it was in the news, didn't realise they were all at it.

Mr Git

I reckon the one person who is screwed either way is Osbourne, his fake punishment budget was mocked from all sides (including his own party) does he has any credibility left?

No chance of becoming next PM now

I'm not sure Osborne ever had a chance of becoming PM. He'd like to think he does, but he's not the brightest. The places where someone like Cameron succeeds (i.e. public speaking) is something Osborne is just awful at. He gets stuck repeating a sentence.

The map of local results will be interesting. I'm looking forward to that.

Ah I was hoping they'd do this, it'll be interesting. I think I'm working til around 1am Friday morning so it'll be a late-night watching of the rolling coverage.

Ah interesting, I thought there was something special about the exit poll as it was in the news, didn't realise they were all at it.

Its just a trend indicator for them. What I do know is (as of last weekend when Brexit was looking like a reality), they'd more or less stopped trading and had exited nearly every position.

I'll try to get the low down from him tomorrow

RE the Punishment budget, the economic damage of a Leave vote is going to have to be dealt with somehow, and the Tories favourite way of dealing with money is cuts... I don't know how the idea that there will be a shitton of cuts post Brexit is a surprise

Real Hero

RE the Punishment budget, the economic damage of a Leave vote is going to have to be dealt with somehow, and the Tories favourite way of dealing with money is cuts... I don't know how the idea that there will be a shitton of cuts post Brexit is a surprise

we fucking love cuts we do

Tak3n

Banned

Osbourne said he was going to do it, 57 MP (Tory) said no you want... Osbourne then said I dont need you Labour will support me

Jeremy Corbyn live on PMQ's said Labour will not be supporting any post Brexit budget

LMAO, basically made Osbourne look like a complete idiot

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Osbourne said he was going to do it, 57 MP (Tory) said no you want... Osbourne then said I dont need you Labour will support me

Jeremy Corbyn live on PMQ's said Labour will not be supporting any post Brexit budget

LMAO, basically made Osbourne look like a complete idiot

In this case, there would be some shenanigans for sure. I expect the Conservatives would engineer a no-confidence vote against their own government, leaving Corbyn with the impossible decision between (a) facing a General Election in which he will be absolutely tonked and (b) having to propose a vote of confidence in a Conservative government in order to avoid (a) ... and then him being expelled from his own Labour Party because of doing (b).

Or some similar permutation.

Tak3n

Banned
so it might be nothing, but on twitter it is being said that the clip of Jeremy Corbyn saying immigration can not be controlled which was uploaded by the leave campaign has been content claimed by the BBC off youtube...

As I said it might be a storm in a teacup, and the might just be the BBC stopping the clip being using politically

https://twitter.com/RobBurl/status/744502029062643712

PJV3

so it might be nothing, but on twitter it is being said that the clip of Jeremy Corbyn saying immigration can not be controlled which was uploaded by the leave campaign has been content claimed by the BBC off youtube...

As I said it might be a storm in a teacup, and the might just be the BBC stopping the clip being using politically

https://twitter.com/RobBurl/status/744502029062643712

It just seems to be people laughing at Mensch again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom