• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bricked Nexus 7...Not sure what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

So my Nexus 7 is stuck in an infinite loading loop and Im unsure of how to fix it. Supposedly it should be fixable but none of the guides I've come across really address my specific issue. I've been able to unlock the device using the Nexus Root Toolkit, but that's about it. Since I cant access the tablet past the loading screen, I cant turn on USB debugging and I also cant access recovery mode when in bootloader(I just get a dead android screen and the tablet restarts), rendering me unable to follow through with pretty much every guide that I've come across to fix the tablet. Anyone know how I would be able to unbrick my Nexus based on my current limitations?

Drifters

Umm it's not bricked, you're stuck in a boot loop. If you can, try to get to recovery and see if wiping cache files fixes it. If it was bricked it would a) not turn on or b) turn on and stay frozen on a singular screen.

Onemic

Umm it's not bricked, you're stuck in a boot loop. If you can, try to get to recovery and see if wiping/reloading temp files fixes it. If it was bricked it would a) not turn on or b) turn on and stay frozen on a singular screen.

Like I said in the OP, I cant access recovery mode. It just shows a dead android with a red exclamation and restarts.

v1lla21

Did you try rooting it or something? This exact thing happened to my sister's samsung but it was never rooted. It gave some kimd of warning that someone tried fucking with the OS and the dead andy with a red exclamation would pop up. We just took it back and got it replaced without a problem. I was never able to fix it since i couldnt access anything.

Onemic

Did you try rooting it or something? This exact thing happened to my sister's samsung but it was never rooted. It gave some kimd of warning that someone tried fucking with the OS and the dead andy with a red exclamation would pop up. We just took it back and got it replaced without a problem. I was never able to fix it since i couldnt access anything.

Nope, I just got an infinite loading loop one day for no reason.

mnannola

So my Nexus 7 is stuck in an infinite loading loop and Im unsure of how to fix it. Supposedly it should be fixable but none of the guides I've come across really address my specific issue. I've been able to unlock the device using the Nexus Root Toolkit, but that's about it. Since I cant access the tablet past the loading screen, I cant turn on USB debugging and I also cant access recovery mode when in bootloader(I just get a dead android screen and the tablet restarts), rendering me unable to follow through with pretty much every guide that I've come across to fix the tablet. Anyone know how I would be able to unbrick my Nexus based on my current limitations?

Nexus 7 2013? Stuck on the Google logo bootscreen?

If so, same thing happened to mine and many others. As far as I can tell, there is no fix. You need to replace the motherboard, the NAND memory is shot on yours.

Berordn

Are you able to get to the recovery menus at all? You should be able to get in through ADB from that point.

Nevermind, you said that much. I'd think as long as you can get it there you should be able to toggle some sort of recovery downloader but if you can't get it via ADB I wouldn't be sure where to go from there.

kIdMuScLe

There's a program software on xda .. .. .. I'll try to look it up for you as I used a few times before

Edit: how old is your nexus ?? If is more than a 1yr old theN your hardware is failing

Onemic

Nexus 7 2013? Stuck on the Google logo bootscreen?

If so, same thing happened to mine and many others. As far as I can tell, there is no fix. You need to replace the motherboard, the NAND memory is shot on yours.

I have the 2012 wifi version. It gets past the initial google screen to the part where you see a bunch of colours flying about and just loads forever.

Are you able to get to the recovery menus at all? You should be able to get in through ADB from that point.

I can access bootloader, but not recovery mode, no.

GavinGT

Banned
So you get to a screen like the one below and then it just restarts itself with you doing anything?

nexus_recovery_5.jpg

Onemic

Wug Fresh Nexus Root Toolkit, it'll fix the bootloop. Best thing I've learned about nexus devices is that this program exists. It should help.

GavinGT

Banned
Wug Fresh Nexus Root Toolkit, it'll fix the bootloop. Best thing I've learned about nexus devices is that this program exists. It should help.

That's what he's using. Not sure how he managed to mess it up, as the program makes it pretty hard to do so.

In order, i'd try 1) wipe cache, 2) factory reset, and 3) adb, advancing to the next one if the prior one doesn't work for you.

Onemic

Went into recovery mode and wiped data and the cache.(unsure of how to apply the ADB update) Im still getting the infinite loop though

That's what he's using. Not sure how he managed to mess it up, as the program makes it pretty hard to do so.

In order, i'd try 1) wipe cache, 2) factory reset, and 3) adb, advancing to the next one if the prior one doesn't work for you.

The problem with the program is that it assumes you can get past the loading screen, since you need to in order to turn on USB debugging. I can't.

If you're still getting the bootloop after wiping it and doing a factory reset, then yeah it's probably fucked.

I'm not sure if you can get a custom bootloader on there in that state.

Husker86

Went into recovery mode and wiped data and the cache.(unsure of how to apply the ADB update) Im still getting the infinite loop though

The problem with the program is that it assumes you can get past the loading screen, since you need to in order to turn on USN debugging. I can't.

Very worst case is you find an official update.zip and use the "apply update from ADB" option. Maybe that would even work with the Factory Images from Google, but I'm not sure how the files in those are organized in update.zip.

edit: this is all assuming there isn't a hardware issue. Though I guess if you didn't root/install custom ROMs then it is unlikely to be only a software issue if it's still doing it after a factory reset.

GavinGT

Banned
How did the bootloop start? I was under the impression that you were trying to unlock it and that's when it started bootlooping...

Esqueleto

Banned

The problem with the program is that it assumes you can get past the loading screen, since you need to in order to turn on USB debugging. I can't.
Adb debug is only to send it commands to restart to the bootloaderr or to recovery(well and do actual debugging). Adb drivers and bootloader drivers are different. You can still unlock your bootloader, reflash a stock image, and then relock the bootloader unless there is something wrong in the hardware. Can you see devices with no drivers in device manager?

Onemic

How did the bootloop start? I was under the impression that you were trying to unlock it and that's when it started bootlooping...

Nope, the bootloop just happened one day for no reason. Used my Nexus to watch a youtube vid. Turned it off and the next day I got a bootloop.

Adb debug is only to send it commands to restart to the bootloaderr or to recovery(well and do actual debugging). Adb drivers and bootloader drivers are different. You can still unlock your bootloader, reflash a stock image, and then relock the bootloader unless there is something wrong in the hardware. Can you see devices with no drivers in device manager?

It shows up as MTP USB device in device manager. The Nexus is already unlocked because the tool was somehow able to do that without me having access to USB debugging. The Root option is completely unavailable to me though as the program says it cant find and ADB device

Weird, I had the same thing happen to my nexus 7 yesterday, was stuck in a bootloop (4 colours going round and around for hours) luckily NRT saved the day! It wasn't being recognised when I plugged it into my PC or anything.

Got the right build and stuff selected and downloaded via NRT, had to clear the drivers then reinstall them through NRT. Got the nexus onto the bootloader, on NRT I selected the bootloop option and selected the No Wipe option, few more clicks and a couple of mins wait my nexus 7 was back up and running with all my Apps, pics, Vids all still there. Think I had already elected the debug mode, glad I did, have made sure my nexus 4 is the same, just incase...

It shows up as MTP USB device in device manager. The Nexus is already unlocked because the tool was somehow able to do that without me having access to USB debugging. The Root option is completely unavailable to me though as the program says it cant find and ADB device

Silly queestion, but are you on the bootloader when you use NRT? It would only see my nexus when it was on the bootloader, during the bootloop it was come up as no adb device detected

Esqueleto

Banned
Nope, the bootloop just happened one day for no reason. Used my Nexus to watch a youtube vid. Turned it off and the next day I got a bootloop.

You should see a composite adb device when in recovery mode. The bootloader device has a different name but I'm not near my computer to check. If you're seeing that mtp device while in the bootloader, Windows choose the wrong drivers. I don't think I've ever seen an mtp device while in recovery either.

Onemic

Silly queestion, but are you on the bootloader when you use NRT? It would only see my nexus when it was on the bootloader, during the bootloop it was come up as no adb device detected

Ah, I had checked it while it was under the loop. When in bootloader it shows up as Android Bootloader Interface

EDIT: I got through the ATB not found when doing the root, but now Im getting an infinite waiting for device loop since the software failed to reboot the android :/

EDIT2: After a few tries, it was finally able to communicate with the Android and restart it, but it's once again on an infinite 'waiting for your device' loop. My nexus boots up but looks absolutely messed. I only see a back button, a battery/wifi symbol. And am greeted with a bunch of "unfortunately Setup Wizard has stopped" prompts.

Ah, I had checked it while it was under the loop. When in bootloader it shows up as Android Bootloader Interface

EDIT: I got through the ATB not found when doing the root, but now Im getting an infinite waiting for device loop since the software failed to reboot the android :/

EDIT2: After a few tries, it was finally able to communicate with the Android and restart it, but it's once again on an infinite 'waiting for your device' loop. My nexus boots up but looks absolutely messed. I only see a back button, a battery/wifi symbol. And am greeted with a bunch of "unfortunately Setup Wizard has stopped" prompts.

Now that NRT sees the nexus 7 have you tried the softlock/bootloop option in NRT?

No idea if it will help you but my Nexus 5 recently started going in a loop at the google screen and my power button was stuck though it didn't appear to be. I tapped the button a bunch of times quickly and it fixed the issue.

Schrade

OP. I had this exact same thing happen to me with my Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB.

Basically, from everything I've read it sounds like the nVRAM is toasted and you have to replace the mainboard to "fix" it.

I ended up just buying a new one since mine was out of warranty and I cracked the screen trying to get the damn thing open to replace the mainboard.

I didn't realize how much I used it until I couldn't use it :-/

Esqueleto

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom