• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brie Larson Isn’t Letting Her ‘Captain Marvel’ Press Tour Be ‘Overwhelmingly’ White and Male

read my post above. i just owned you. pretty bad too i might add. sorry man

Mm, not really though. People knew who he was, but they also knew who Doctor Strange and Green Lantern were. The Iron Man movie came out in May, 2008. Look at comic book sales from the year prior, May, 2007;

O8i4FD9.png

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2007/2007-05.html

He did appear in the death of Cap storyline. But, like the others Avengers IPs he was in, he was part of a large ensemble. His solo comic only came in at #35.

Mm, not really though. People knew who he was, but they also knew who Doctor Strange and Green Lantern were. The Iron Man movie came out in May, 2008. Look at comic book sales from the year prior, May, 2007;

O8i4FD9.png

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2007/2007-05.html

He did appear in the death of Cap storyline. But, like the others Avengers IPs he was in, he was part of a large ensemble. His solo comic only came in at #35.

once again i won. you posted one thing from one year as if it means anything and also i might add you posted different publishers as well. you arent doing yourself any favors son. quit burying youself in a deeper hole because you have a weak argument. i mean if posting pictures of out of context shit is the name of the game baby then you won. i guess what we can take from that is no one reads comics

sorry "fulltilt" but youre not even halt tilt. i dont even know what the fuck the 18 part is supposed to mean

Last edited:

Domisto

I'm not into comics and I'm from the UK. When Iron Man 1 came out, I'd heard of the name before and that was about it. Couldn't tell you a damn thing about it. As far as casuals were concerned he was B-Tier at most. I'd say the same about Thor. Heard the name, knew very little about him beyond mythology links. Captain America, remember I'm a Brit, sounded like something questionably dredged up from the archives and had the dust blown off him. Turns out some of their movies were amongst the best IMO.

Captain Marvel = What the fuck is a Captain Marvel?

kunonabi

I didn't even know "Want to See" scores could go that low. I still think the movie is going to do fine but still not a good look regardless.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Racist lies? I got my information from the trial. You apparently got it from out of your ass. He slammed a dude's head against the sidewalk repeatedly. That's attempted murder in every city and state of this country (one might even call it an act of violence.)

Given that Zimmerman disregarded the 911 operator's advice to wait for the police, and continued stalking that boy, I'd call Trayvon's actions self-defense...

According to detective Serino's words concerning Zimmerman's injuries:

" ...marginally consistent with a life-threatening episode, as described by him, during which neither a deadly weapon nor deadly force were deployed by Trayvon Martin."

Once he got to his house, he told his fat, ugly, and stupid girlfriend that he was going to go back and handle the "creepy ass cracker."

Except that he never arrived home and according to court records, he told her someone was following him. You remember that there was video evidence of him at the store BUYING exactly what his father (whom he was visiting from out of state) said he went out to buy for his little brother. Then after that, heading back to the house just before Zimmerman started stalking him.

And interesting you come up with all of these negative descriptions of his friend. She never claimed she was his girlfriend. That was Crump.

Using racial slurs generally doesn't paint one as non-racist. Or are you referencing me calling you dumber than dogshit? Because that also isn't racist. Or a lie. And you implied multiple times that I was dumb by arguing that "prejudice" doesn't mean to pre-judge somebody (you never really said what your version of the word means)

PREJUDICE definitely does mean to prejudge... But you used it in the wrong way calling Obama prejudiced when his words (that you quoted) were anything but. The application of the word doesn't and didn't match your example.

or that I was wrong when I claimed racial discrimination was still racial discrimination regardless of who it targets. You even decried one of my posts "weeking" (it's reeking, btw) of "white racism" (I wasn't aware there were different versions depending on skin color.)

The one time I didn't proofread (as I said in the subsequent post I didn't have much time to give a more nuanced reply) and you're correcting me... Even though I used the correct spelling in the post you just quoted.

And I wrote "white racism" in a moment of anger because your words were filled with animosity (as they are in your quoted post). However, I am calm this good afternoon.

As such, I do apologise for the insult. Logically speaking, why should I be angry over a random pixel whom I do not know personally? Comprendé?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Captain Marvel = What the fuck is a Captain Marvel?

indeed, it sounds like the character you come up with when you forget about the deadline and have to come up with something for tomorrow to show the boss. like "Pepsi Man" it just sounds like a tossed off character only there to promote a brand.

i might see this movie eventually. tbh i only ever see 1 or 2 movies a year in theaters, and ever since they've started dumping yearly superhero/starwars/etc. movies that still hasn't changed. i don't care. they make too many of these movies.

they aren't high art, they are disposable products, and the more they make, the more disposable they get. fanatics, critics, & shills need to get over it. maybe people don't want fast food for every meal.

Last edited:
indeed, it sounds like the character you come up with when you forget about the deadline and have to come up with something for tomorrow to show the boss. like "Pepsi Man" it just sounds like a tossed off character only there to promote a brand.

i might see this movie eventually. tbh i only ever see 1 or 2 movies a year in theaters, and ever since they've started dumping yearly superhero/starwars/etc. movies that still hasn't changed. i don't care. they make too many of these movies.

they aren't high art, they are disposable products, and the more they make, the more disposable they get. fanatics, critics, & shills need to get over it. maybe people don't want fast food for every meal.
True, the superhero movie bubble may burst. There's been bad DC and Marvel movies that have been released. My girl loves this crap, so I'm suckered into going. I'm weary of this whole Brie going on a political tangent that has nothing to do with the movie as a red flag. We'll see.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i mean it's fine to love crap. i love nothing more than watching Roger Corman movies or Canon Films on a lazy sunday. nothing wrong w that. but i'm not attacking people that don't want to see them. i don't pretend there is a Russian conspiracy to stop people from watching America 3000. i'm not using political agendas to castigate people for not sharing my tastes. bc my experience w it is mine alone, and i'm fine w that.

people should be more respectful in their consumption. the current media climate promotes the opposite behavior. divide and conquer. Consumer Wars.

Last edited:
I love exploitation films. I hate talking about my liking of "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS" or "Blood Diner" since it comes across as odd to people that consider the "Saw" franchise as extreme or outré. BTW, I love Death Race 2000.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
As both an action movie and a comedy (and an homage to blaxploitation movies), Black Dynamite is a gem. Lots of people don't like it... And that's fine.

But let's judge the movie on its own merits and not the words of the actress.

I mean, it's not like she's Roman Polanski or Woody Allen.

Dthomp

That number is dropping like a rock.

This could be interesting 😂

I'd love for this movie to flop, but lets be honest here. There are far too many people in the world who go to the movies just to go to the movies, and plenty of people who avoid this shit won't know anything of it, cause what normal sane person is going to any of these absurd SJW sites covering any of this?

For me, I had originally thought about seeing it (maybe like a 60% chance i would), and it's down to 0 for me. I don't CARE about her thoughts and what she is doing, wait til your movie hits and is either good or bad and then make your stand, doing it like this draws a line in the sand for many people like me who don't want this stupid politicking shoved in our face.

I know nothing about who gets selected for these media sessions, but if it's like anything else in life wouldn't it be the most tenured or deserving? and not based on being a minority? There would be nothing better then watching her sat infront of nothing but these terrible awful TOXIC (i hate this word) white males for every sitdown from here until she disappears into nowhere, cause in my experiences with her flicks she's not a good actress to begin with...

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Reeeally late to the party here, but I’m going to see this no matter what. I think what Brie did was not dampen her own movie. Even if it’s tepid in its reception, it will turn a profit. What she did was cast shade on Marvel movies in general. If it keeps up, then Disney will see us turn on them just like what happened with Star Wars.

That being said, Hollywood actors say stupid things all the time. The vast majority of the actors, producers, and directors believe exactly the same way she does. Saying stupid political things goes back to Brando’s holier-than-thou Oscar acceptance speech when he had a Native American stand there in his place and lecture the rest of us on how badly they were treated. Hollywood was always like that and will never change. But that will not keep me from watching their movies.

I’ve got two girls at home that love seeing girls kick butt and they don’t know and don’t understand what she’s saying and why she’s wrong. The biggest sin she could commit against them would be to bore them in the movie theater. And we won’t know that until we watch the movie.

fantomena

It’s not an audience rating.

I see, my mistake. It's simply people taking their time to show the world if they are interested in watching it.

Like people saying their are gonna boycott the movie because of some stuff 1 actor has said.

Guess what, there's ton of actors in the movie and tons of behind the scenes crew and they are gonna punish Marvel because of something 1 actor has said?

Sad.

Im gonna watch it because I don't give a shit about what Brie has said and I want to prepare myself for Endgame. Very simple.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I see, my mistake. It's simply people taking their time to show the world if they are interested in watching it.

Like people saying their are gonna boycott the movie because of some stuff 1 actor has said.

Guess what, there's ton of actors in the movie and tons of behind the scenes crew and they are gonna punish Marvel because of something 1 actor has said?

Sad.

It's immoral to not go see a movie?

Insane.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm not gonna see it simply because I don't see films at Cinemas.
But I'm gonna watch it and even buy when the film is released if it's good.
But Brie Larson needs to check her uncalled for attitude at the door.
Nobody had a problem with her until she opened her mouth.
It's not sexism, it's personal to her as a person.

As both an action movie and a comedy (and an homage to blaxploitation movies), Black Dynamite is a gem. Lots of people don't like it... And that's fine.

I'd say Undercover Brother is even better, but I do like Black Dynamite. Fear of a Black Hat is another great comedy that explores black culture. It's basically the 90s rap version of This is Spinal Tap.

No? It's just sad to punish a whole bunch of people for something 1 person did.

Say divisive things, get divisive results. She could walk back her statement at any time to promote positive inclusion instead of "fewer white males plz." Treating racial and gender equality and inclusion as a zero-sum game is kind of messed up.

People are flipping out over this still? Good god, how petty. You would think that the people that were offended by the Gillette commercial wouldn't be whiny bitches about something a woman said.

Last edited:
I'd say Undercover Brother is even better, but I do like Black Dynamite. Fear of a Black Hat is another great comedy that explores black culture. It's basically the 90s rap version of This is Spinal Tap.

Black Dynamite has great highlights, but it's not re-watchable like undercover brotha. I haven't seen the other one but I'll check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

brap

Banned
People are flipping out over this still? Good god, how petty. You would think that the people that were offended by the Gillette commercial wouldn't be whiny bitches about something a woman said.
>whining about people having an opinion that's different than yours
Good god, how petty.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I've never actually seen Fear of a Black Hat. And I have no idea where to find it on the streaming services.

I've never actually seen Fear of a Black Hat. And I have no idea where to find it on the streaming services.

I used to watch it on the Independent Film Channel. It wasn't a very big movie, and it's getting a bit older now. Search you tube for [ "A Gangsta's Life Aint Fun" & R.A.V. ] for a clip from one of the better moments of the movie, if you're interested. I'd embed it, but there's some nudity.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

How can anybody mention these films, without the cult classic, The Last Dragon. Guess y'all got no glow!

Barnabot

https://cosmicbook.news/captain-marvel-thanos-kevin-feige

Feige talks Brie Larson joining the role and how "audiences are going to embrace Brie as this character," and how Captain Marvel will "take the lead" and "be at the forefront" of the MCU:

This is just not about somebody who is incredibly powerful and can fly around and shoot photon blasts out of her arms, it's somebody who is very human, who is very vulnerable and who has multiple dimensions. And when we found out that Brie Larson might be interested in joining this world, she came in, we had a number of meetings, we pitched her this idea, she was a huge fan of the character and the comic. And one of the highlights at my career at Marvel was introducing her at Comic-Con and having her coming out on stage and stand there with literally almost every thing else from our universe, and there she was at the forefront, and it was a great foreshadowing of not just for how audiences are going to embrace Brie as this character, but also for how Captain Marvel is about to take the lead and be at the forefront of the entire Cinematic Universe.​

So suck on that Thanos.
You'll get owned by a Mary Sue.
Have a nice Monday, GAF.

tkscz

Surprised this thread is still going. Did she say anything more or is it over the same quote as before that makes it sound like she has little confidence in the movie

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It's certainly possible, but the Russos have handled their projects in the MCU extraordinarily well so far, tying together plot threads, elevating characters like Cap in exactly the way he needed, and paying off setup across 20 different films better than anyone had hoped for. Kevin Feige has stayed in touch with fan sentiment over time, too, and he has (for the most part) deftly managed what is now the biggest movie franchise ever.

I don't really see Captain Marvel barreling through this decade of hard work to Mary Sue Thanos in the final chapter. No one wants this. Note that the tie-ins and Avengers teasers for the standalone MCU films tend to be overhyped by marketing to help get butts in seats, especially for films that people might otherwise wait for home release to see (e.g. Ant-man and the Wasp). Since Captain Misandry won't be on home streaming before Endgame comes out, and fan sentiment is rapidly souring along with box office projections, it's in their best interest to play up how pivotal Captain Flatbutt's role is in Endgame. It won't affect the hype for the Avengers climax to any meaningful degree, but it might pull in a lot of lukewarm MCU fans to Captain Daddy Issues to ensure they have a complete experience going into the real deal.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Are you saying that the world is racist and therefore it's reasonable that you are as well?

I don't view Affrimative Action as racist. It's a program or set of laws to fix the system that's currently broken (i.e. racist and unfair already for many reasons).

The world doesn't view everything through a lens of race though. In the end I'm at a point where I can only conclude that you're trying to justify your own racism. Every single answer seems to come back to "they're racist so I have to be racist back" and honestly an eye for an eye just leaves everyone blind.

I'm not asking for another eye. I'm looking for fairness or at least some honest version of it. Without governments and companies going out of their way to fix these issues, they'd just keep happening. History shows us this.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Say divisive things, get divisive results. She could walk back her statement at any time to promote positive inclusion instead of "fewer white males plz." Treating racial and gender equality and inclusion as a zero-sum game is kind of messed up.

So "IF" this movie does well at the Box Office, what will your excuse be? I don't want to read any bull crap from you on any of your other guys saying that "SJWs love supporting trash" or that "Disney paid people to see the movie". This movie will be a great experiment on the whole "GET WOKE, GO BROKE" saying that the far right as been using.

I honestly have no idea if her words that I like will harm, help, or have no effect on it's box office numbers but we'll see. EviLore EviLore seems to be hinting at the fact that Brie has harmed the movie's box office potential. A few things to keep in mind.

1. Captain Marvel is a VERY unknown character in the Marvel universe. I'd say Ant-Man was slightly more well known than she was. (Negative)

2. Brie Larson isn't a great actress that has her own built-in fanbase. I'm 100% sure that Paul Rudd has a fanbase that's triple hers. (Negative)

3. The Anti-SJW crowd has latched on to a reason to hate this film and are spreading the news through social media and other general internet forums (Negative).

3. This is the last Marvel movie to be released before EndGame. (Positive)

4. "Word" is Captain Marvel is going to play a huge role in Marvel movies going forward. (Positive)

5. The first time a huge Female lead superhero has her own movie that's overseen by Kevin Feige. In general this should get more women to find interest in this movie for that very reason. (Positive)

6. The two Directors only did one movie of meaning(Mississippi Grind with Ryan Reynolds) and it was reviewed VERY well. But the movie only cost $6 million to make. Not sure how this plays out of this level. (Neutral).

So I could think of 3 positives, 3 negatives, and 1 neutral point that this movie has going for it. I'm not sure if this statement by her will really hurt.

- Ant-Man made $76 million the first weekend, but it was released on July 4thish weekend.
- Thor made $66 million the first weekend. (May 6th release)
- Captain America: First Avenger made $65 million the first weekend (July 22nd release)

So if Captain Marvel makes under $50 million on the first weekend.......I'd 100% agree that her comments hurt the box office (unless the movie is just legit bad and scores under a 50% on RT).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Top Bottom