• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Britain considers banning the dentist chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100119/od_nm/us_alcohol

LONDON (Reuters) – Tough new rules for pubs and clubs -- including a ban on drinking games like the infamous "dentist's chair" -- will be introduced in Britain this year in a bid to curb a heavy drinking culture that costs the country billions of a pounds a year.
Other promotions like "all you can drink for 10 pounds ($16)," speed drinking competitions and "women drink free" nights will also be prohibited.

But, controversially, bulk offers of cheap alcohol in supermarkets -- widely regarded as one of the main sources of Britain's problems with under-age and excessive drinking -- will not be affected.

Home Secretary Alan Johnson said he did not want to target responsible drinkers on low incomes, but that the government and the industry had a duty to act on booze-fueled promotions.

"These practices have a real impact on society, not to mention the lives of those who just want to enjoy a good night out," he said.

The dentist's chair, where drinks are poured directly into the mouth by others, was made famous by the celebrations of footballer Paul Gascoigne at Euro '96.

It will be banned from April and publicans will have to ensure free tap water is made available to revelers.

A second set of rules enforcing compulsory ID checks and making sure smaller alcoholic measures are on sale come into effect in October.

The government says excessive boozing costs Britain up to 12 billion pounds a year and has vowed that any premises that breach the new mandatory code will face stiff penalties.
Publicans and vendors could lose their licenses, be fined up to 20,000 pounds ($32,750) or face six months in prison

The Dentist's Chair

The aim of this game is simple: do not drown!
Materials Needed
1 straight backed chair
1 bottle of spirit (Jack Daniels, Malibu, vodka, Aftershock or Everclear are all wonderful choices)
1 big burley mate
a random assortment of "friends" capable of shouting "CHUG CHUG CHUG"
Stage 1
someone is selected to be the victim they sit in the chair
Stage 2
the Nurse (ie the big burly guy, probably named Tank) restrains the Victim making sure the victim can't move their arms or back, this is usually accomplished by a bear hug from behind
Stage 3
The Dentist pours a steady stream of the chosen spirit down the victim's throat, the game continues until the victim drowns or breaks the nurse's hold.

Makes beer pong seem like chess.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Good

You can always chose to drink like a slob at home.

"Other promotions like "all you can drink for 10 pounds ($16)," speed drinking competitions and "women drink free" nights will also be prohibited."

This type of stuff (including happy hour) is banned in Massachusetts and probably other US states as well

"A second set of rules enforcing compulsory ID checks and making sure smaller alcoholic measures are on sale come into effect in October."

Um, so ID checks weren't required before...?

Empty

Seems a little pointless, we'll just find new drinking games. Though i'm yet to encounter the Dentists Chair, jesus fuck.

If they really wanted to curb binge drinking and had actual balls, they'd put a minimum price on alcohol and fuck the supermarkets who are making it very easy for the younger generations to get wasted by selling booze as a big loss leader, something that also has the consequence of helping put pubs, places where bartenders can look after the very drunk, out of business. Oh and maybe do a better job on the economy; preventing unemployment, lowering income disparity and reducing the cycle of hopelessness ingrained in poorer areas (maybe by first taking the poorest out of taxation) which will lead fewer to turn to alcoholism. However our government is more interested in easy policies and headline grabbing initiatives than actually dealing with the real problems. :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
jamesinclair said:
"Other promotions like "all you can drink for 10 pounds ($16)," speed drinking competitions and "women drink free" nights will also be prohibited."

This type of stuff (including happy hour) is banned in Massachusetts and probably other US states as well

"A second set of rules enforcing compulsory ID checks and making sure smaller alcoholic measures are on sale come into effect in October."

Perhaps they mean ID checks for everyone, even those who are obviously over the legal drinking age. I'm sure there are plenty of older people who go into pubs without their ID.

I must say, though, that "dentist chair" game sounds pretty brutal. Do people actually volunteer to do that stuff?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Whilst they're at it, can I get a member of parliament to walk me to the pub as well? Maybe they can give me a note to tell the bartender that I'm responsible enough to drink.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
industrian said:
Whilst they're at it, can I get a member of parliament to walk me to the pub as well? Maybe they can give me a note to tell the bartender that I'm responsible enough to drink.

I think you've had enough sir.

Meadows

Banned
Was in my local last night and saw a load of students playing pub golf (google it), some lad and a lass threw up all over the floor, after their first pint. I mean what the fuck?! The girl was flirting with me too afterwards. So not cool. At least the 'keep gave us free drinks :)

A good question to start with is why do we have these alcohol cultures to begin with?

I agree that addressing stuff like this is needed, but on a causal level. What they are doing here is simply addressing the symptom in the hopes of........?

If we treat members of a society like children who can't and won't know any better I don't see why we are sometimes surprised that that is what we have.

Aegus

Incitemaybe said:
A good question to start with is why do we have these alcohol cultures to begin with?

I agree that addressing stuff like this is needed, but on a causal level. What they are doing here is simply addressing the symptom in the hopes of........?

If we treat members of a society like children who can't and won't know any better I don't see why we are sometimes surprised that that is what we have.

I blame TV.*

*Well just the soaps where it seems everyone just goes for a drink every single day at every single hour they can manage.

trinest

industrian said:
Oh No! He's thinking for himself, get him!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
NovemberMike said:
As far as IDs go, the last time I was there I was 16. I ordered alcohol, nobody carded me.

I got ID'd buying a bottle of vodka in Tesco last January. I didn't have any but the dude let me go - it's obvious I'm over 18 and he told me he was just doing it because it was lunchtime at the nearest highschool and he needs to do it during that hour for the cameras.

Meadows said:
Was in my local last night and saw a load of students playing pub golf (google it), some lad and a lass threw up all over the floor, after their first pint. I mean what the fuck?! The girl was flirting with me too afterwards. So not cool. At least the 'keep gave us free drinks :)

I miss lightweight female students. Remind me to get in on some of that when I come back home. And what do you mean it wasn't cool? Just make sure she uses mouthwash before she goes at your dick.

Incitemaybe said:

Because most people in the UK are that uptight that they require alcohol to function in a social capacity.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Incitemaybe said:

I blame the Romans. Damn you and your wine!!!

Also, every time an american says "lower the drinking age! making it 18 will stop binge drinking!" has clearly never been to an english college.

Instead of water by their bed, it seems that most people had whiskey. I wish I was joking.

xbhaskarx

britishteeth.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
jamesinclair said:

ID checks aren't required in the US either, they're only required if you can't tell from sight that someone is over 21.

jas0nuk

At the moment they don't check everyone's ID, they use their discretion and ask people who look obviously underage. Making it compulsory would probably be good.

Also, Britain has introduced stuff like 24-hour alcohol licencing which has, if anything, made the drinking problem worse.

operon

ffs trying to take a working mans pleasure away what next, labour bans sex and requires a license to get pregnant

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
But bush already declared that it isn't torture?

ID checks aren't required in the US either, they're only required if you can't tell from sight that someone is over 21.

I'm 30 and got routinely ID'd when I went to Miami, I look kind of baby faced, but I'm 30 and clearly over 21, everyone of my friends that isn't a baby face got ID checks as well, but kids half the time. It was bullshit, europe ftw.

Tamanon said:

My parents are in America right now on holiday. My mum sent me an email a few days ago, telling me how she was searching all over Walmart for half an hour for some wine, before she realised that they didn't sell it (never mind the huge hunting knives and shit).

She then went into a Liquour store and got what she wanted, but she was asked for her DOB and ID (despite the fact that she's retired).

This is in Louisiana btw. So stupid.

SmokyDave

These measures are complete bollocks and will do nothing to curb the drinking problem. Off licenses and supermarkets need targeting first so that pikeys stop being able to get hammered on £3 of their dole money.

operon said:
ffs trying to take a working mans pleasure away what next, labour bans sex and requires a license to get pregnant
I really wouldn't have a problem with this. No license = no government assistance. Something has to be done to deal with 'career mums'.

Tamanon

Banned
liquid_gears said:
My parents are in America right now on holiday. My mum sent me an email a few days ago, telling me how she was searching all over Walmart for half an hour for some wine, before she realised that they didn't sell it (never mind the huge hunting knives and shit).

She then went into a Liquour store and got what she wanted, but she was asked for her DOB and ID (despite the fact that she's retired).

This is in Louisiana btw. So stupid.

Might be the local state law, or they might've been busted recently. I'm very rarely carded personally, and I look very young for being 32.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
JGS said:
Why would these cost Britain billions of punds? Medical costs?

Policing costs form a huge part of it, as pissheads go out and commit a nice range of crimes. Cleaning costs. Medical costs are part of it as well, obviously.

Klyka

Banned
When I read the title I thought "Well it's not like they use it anyway..."

Too bad thread didn't deliver :(

I'm not really into the idea of a minimum price in supermarkets and off licenses. Those vendors are already culpable if caught selling to minors, if people want to binge drink, they're going to binge drink. I like being able to buy cheap beer!

It annoys me that people who are wreckless still have a right to medical attention on the taxpayers' dime, and it annoys me that police have to waste their time with a minority of disruptive people too. The latter is far more likely to occur in city centres where these kind of promotions occur though, so maybe tackling insane promotions (particularly on spirits) isn't entirely a bad idea.

SmokyDave said:
I really wouldn't have a problem with this. No license = no government assistance. Something has to be done to deal with 'career mums'.

Co-sign! That or continual benefit support should certainly cease after the second child. If you can't support yourself, you shouldn't be having children!

jas0nuk said:
Also, Britain has introduced stuff like 24-hour alcohol licencing which has, if anything, made the drinking problem worse.

This isn't true at all. The drinking problem has gotten worse in years gone by, but its not at all attributable to this because the very few establishments are actually open 24 hours, and the average time by which most pubs/clubs have extended opening hours is 26 minutes. Most have just used the legislation to stagger their closing times which has actually helped effect a decline in disorder at closing times in towns and cities.

Empty

radioheadrule83 said:
It annoys me that people who are wreckless still have a right to medical attention on the taxpayers' dime,

This is of course very dangerous territory because you have to define 'reckless', should i be denied treatment because i never bother looking left-right when crossing the road, for example, or someone who drove to work on very icy roads. I also feel like it is our responsibility as a society to care for those in trouble, and i think the pain and suffering is enough punishment for the reckless, you have a liver pump and that's fucking miserable, you don't need to fuck them on medical fees too.

jas0nuk

radioheadrule83 said:
This isn't true at all. The drinking problem has gotten worse in years gone by, but its not at all attributable to this because the very few establishments are actually open 24 hours, and the average time by which most pubs/clubs have extended opening hours is 26 minutes. Most have just used the legislation to stagger their closing times which has actually helped effect a decline in disorder at closing times in towns and cities.
I never said that the worsening of the drinking problem is just down to 24-hour licencing laws, but I think it's a factor - you can hardly deny that increasing access to alcohol would allow people to get more drunk. I also agree that staggering closing times reduces the pressure on the police in one way since not everyone leaves at once and gets into a massive urine/vomitfest/fight, but it means the trouble is spread throughout the night.

The original idea of the extended opening hours was to promote a relaxed drinking culture like on the continent, which hasn't worked at all, because we Brits drink just to get slashed, and no amount of laws is going to stop that. It's a problem embedded in our culture and it isn't going to disappear soon.

Fio

Empty said:
This is of course very dangerous territory because you have to define 'reckless', should i be denied treatment because i never bother looking left-right when crossing the road, for example, or someone who drove to work on very icy roads. I also feel like it is our responsibility as a society to care for those in trouble, and i think the pain and suffering is enough punishment for the reckless, you have a liver pump and that's fucking miserable, you don't need to fuck them on medical fees too.

Quiet, only completely healthy people should have access to UHC.

Tamanon said:
Might be the local state law, or they might've been busted recently. I'm very rarely carded personally, and I look very young for being 32.

All liquor laws are state based, at least in enforcement. However, the reason we have a national 21 and up law is because Congress tacked it in the Highway bill. So, if you want federal highway money, you have to have a law as 21 up. Louisiana didn't do it for a while, but the highways were starting to turn to shit.

And you damn straight carding is the law in Texas. TABC will fine the shit out of you if you serve minors.

Tamanon

Banned
Empty said:

Could be worse, he could just be calling for them to be killed.

Suairyu

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
Really? I know a few people in the NHS and they've complained that the 24 hour licences have caused a massive increase with the amount of drink-related medical incidents they've had to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom