• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Britain considers banning the dentist chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raydeen

gazza-crying.jpg

ah.. i was baffled when i read the thread title.. britain and dentist in one sentence..

but yeah, i can understand that these games are troublesome.. but drinking people will drink..

Suairyu said:
Really? I know a few people in the NHS and they've complained that the 24 hour licences have caused a massive increase with the amount of drink-related medical incidents they've had to deal with.

Drink related injuries and incidents have increased massively over the last few years, but its hard to make a causal connection with the 24hr legislation, particularly, as I pointed out - the average extension of opening hours is only 26 minutes. In certain instances, lets say for example a town has a particularly popular pub or club that is extending its hours into the morning, and the local hospital experiences a surge - you might draw a conclusion locally there -- but on a national basis, its hard to do so.

Empty said:
This is of course very dangerous territory because you have to define 'reckless', should i be denied treatment because i never bother looking left-right when crossing the road, for example, or someone who drove to work on very icy roads. I also feel like it is our responsibility as a society to care for those in trouble, and i think the pain and suffering is enough punishment for the reckless, you have a liver pump and that's fucking miserable, you don't need to fuck them on medical fees too.

You're right of course, I did only say it annoys me - I wouldn't want to revoke the right to free medical attention from anyone.

Unless they were religious extremists, eh Tamanon!

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
radioheadrule83 said:
Drink related injuries and incidents have increased massively over the last few years, but its hard to make a causal connection with the 24hr legislation, particularly, as I pointed out - the average extension of opening hours is only 26 minutes.

The average extension is utterly irrelevant, though, surely? The maximum extension in a given area determines how much drinking times are actually extended - whether that's one bar or a small handful of competing ones.

What I'd expect to be the case is that the numbers will be skewed by a large number of pubs continuing to close at eleven, but clubs continuing to serve alcohol into the early hours.

operon

SmokyDave said:
These measures are complete bollocks and will do nothing to curb the drinking problem. Off licenses and supermarkets need targeting first so that pikeys stop being able to get hammered on £3 of their dole money.

I really wouldn't have a problem with this. No license = no government assistance. Something has to be done to deal with 'career mums'.

true tho not along the lines of that shite film demolition man

iapetus said:
The average extension is utterly irrelevant, though, surely? The maximum extension in a given area determines how much drinking times are actually extended - whether that's one bar or a small handful of competing ones.

What I'd expect to be the case is that the numbers will be skewed by a large number of pubs continuing to close at eleven, but clubs continuing to serve alcohol into the early hours.

If pubs close at 11 and they always closed at 11 then they're not going to be included in the figures for the average extension.. I'd hope so anyway

But you're quite right though. Local and national averages could be brought down by lots of pubs operating just outside of doing business as usual, I hadn't really thought about that.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
This game sounds awesome, but beer would be better. That would be one sloppy night playing with the hard shit.

jamesinclair said:
"Other promotions like "all you can drink for 10 pounds ($16)," speed drinking competitions and "women drink free" nights will also be prohibited."

This type of stuff (including happy hour) is banned in Massachusetts and probably other US states as well

"A second set of rules enforcing compulsory ID checks and making sure smaller alcoholic measures are on sale come into effect in October."

Um, so ID checks weren't required before...?
I fucking wish there were places that do all you can drink for ten quid! and what sort of goon does drinking games outside of partys?
The i.d thing EVERYYYYWHERE checks IDs, you cant even get in pubs nowadays as theres bouncers checking then you get one inside that walks up and checks when your inside.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
radioheadrule83 said:
If pubs close at 11 and they always closed at 11 then they're not going to be included in the figures for the average extension.. I'd hope so anyway

Really? I'd hope they would be included, with an extension of zero. In fact it's obvious that this is the case, because otherwise in order to get the 26 minute figure many place would have to be getting an extension, but getting it for less than 20 minutes, which would be insane.

SmokyDave

operon said:
well privately I thought it was great honest, for some reason thought GAF would hate it
Well if they do, we'll stand together on the side of truth and righteousness.

When are we going to explore the cultural reasons behind irresponsible drinking in Britain?

iapetus said:
Really? I'd hope they would be included, with an extension of zero. In fact it's obvious that this is the case, because otherwise in order to get the 26 minute figure many place would have to be getting an extension, but getting it for less than 20 minutes, which would be insane.
"Ok, it's 11.04, time Gentlemen please!"

I suspect the non-extended establishments were counted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom