• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broadchurch - A compelling mystery series w/ David Tennant - S2 - Mondays on ITV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

Season 1 had all these little bits that seemed ready to be picked up on, especially Sandbrook. Now that it's happening, it's clear they had no idea what the fuck to do. Most of these characters shouldn't have returned for this season at all.

Ideally the team should've moved on to a new story with a similar feel. Use the popularity to create a series of self-contained 8-episode seasons. Become a brand not as a series of returning characters but as a mark of high quality crime I understand the wish to bring the two detectives back, though, as they were great performances. They could've had them moved to another place, quite naturally after the first season, although it would become forced if they kept on moving to new places for each crime. It was a hard job choosing direction after the first series, I get that, and as you say, they did have elements they could build upon, and the concept of s2 is not bad. But they lost sight of what makes the series good: the simple story and the attention to characters and the community as a whole, not twists and turns and implausible high octane confrontations.

S1 certainly walked a tightrope balanced between captivating drama and schmaltzy melodrama as well, but they stumbled with S2.

It feels crazy to write a season where a court case is the main setting...yet clearly know nothing about the legal process.

i really don't mind it. doesn't have to be realistic to be entertaining.
most things aren't, police shows aren't.

it doesn't have to be good tho, i still think it is but i can see why people wouldn't like it.

Vazduh

In S1 I cared about most characters. That's how good that season was. Everything came together perfectly, from the writing, acting, directing... It wasn't perfect, but it was damn good television.

In S2 I just don't give a flying fuck about most of the side-characters. It's the sheer power of Charlotte Rampling's acting that's making me care about her character (Jocelyn), but I'd like if I said her story was integral to the main storyline.

But Bishop's storyline is even worse. Why spend even that much time on such a boring character? I guess Marianne Jean-Baptiste's unexpected overacting isn't helping matters much.

Moozo

Ideally the team should've moved on to a new story with a similar feel. Use the popularity to create a series of self-contained 8-episode seasons. Become a brand not as a series of returning characters but as a mark of high quality crime I understand the wish to bring the two detectives back, though, as they were great performances. They could've had them moved to another place, quite naturally after the first season, although it would become forced if they kept on moving to new places for each crime. It was a hard job choosing direction after the first series, I get that, and as you say, they did have elements they could build upon, and the concept of s2 is not bad. But they lost sight of what makes the series good: the simple story and the attention to characters and the community as a whole, not twists and turns and implausible high octane confrontations.

S1 certainly walked a tightrope balanced between captivating drama and schmaltzy melodrama as well, but they stumbled with S2.

Marshlands/Lightfields had the right idea

Skele7on

Banned
this show has seriously gone down hill.

I have gone from, it's okay, to omg please don't make me watch it [gf name here]

Ruruja

I like how there's at LEAST 3 scenes of Lee Ashworth standing legs apart looking out into the distance in every episode. It's almost like they're doing it on purpose for a joke now. Anyone want to bet he doesn't do it in the next ep?

Booo on that cliffhanger. Super weak.

Yeah it was a really cheap move, albeit thoroughly predictable the way the series has gone. There's only one verdict that can create any drama, so to hide that behind a cliffhanger seems entirely redundant.

Unless of course the verdict is guilty, in which case the whole series has been a waste of time. To hide that behind a cliffhanger is so ridiculous that I'd actually quite like to see it happen.

5s8aqFq.gif

Series 3: We've re-opened the case!
Series 4: Mother fuckin' re-trial!
Series 5: Danny is alive. Also killing people.

Vazduh

That cliffhanger has got to be a joke, just like the rest of the episode.

Eh, I'm still hate-watching since there's only one episode left, but I hope that it's a series, and not just season finale.

Blader

I don't hate S2 at all, but it's immensely frustrating and the entire court premise just feels like a deliberately annoying way of dicking viewers around. The cliffhanger basically sums up the entire series in one non-moment.

Is there any real explanation for why
what's his name recanted and plead not guilty?
Obviously the real reason is to make the show more dramatic and what not, but it seems completely ridiculous in the context of what happened in season 1

He doesn't want to spend the rest of his life in prison? Don't know what's so ridiculous about that, especially since the context of the murder would probably be easily interpreted by other inmates as a case of child molestation, which would make him an instant target for other prisoners.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I don't hate S2 at all, but it's immensely frustrating and the entire court premise just feels like a deliberately annoying way of dicking viewers around. The cliffhanger basically sums up the entire series in one non-moment.

He doesn't want to spend the rest of his life in prison? Don't know what's so ridiculous about that, especially since the context of the murder would probably be easily interpreted by other inmates as a case of child molestation, which would make him an instant target for other prisoners.

Unless I'm misremembering, wouldn't the crime be considered
involuntary manslaughter
anyway?

I don't know if they had any solid evidence for the other possible charges. But logic went out the window this season anyway.

Daffy Duck

I don't get the way this series has headed now, we as the audience know Lee did it, and we know the defence is just a load of bullshit made up to get him off and stick it to Jocelyn, the cliffhanger just seems very odd.

Beefy

I have given upon this programme. They should have just left it at one series (it was great), but now there is talk of a 3rd already.

Maximo

Watched Episode 1 Of Season 2...yeeeeeah I might not touch this, it seemed like it Season 1 Ended perfectly but now their dragging this back ?

Holy fuck that was bad. Especially the scene with all the townspeople and Joe.

If Season 3 is just Hardy away from Broadchurch in a new town with a new case that could be good, but they need to ditch this setting now. This isn't the sort of plot you stretch across three seasons.

Blader

Funny, all season I've been totally into the court case subplot and found the Sandbrook story largely dull and annoying. But the finale completely flipped that, and while the trial outcome was stupidly maddening, the wrap-up for Sandbrook was surprisingly well done. And even with as shitty as the court case turned out, I actually thought the final scenes with Joe were pretty satisfying.

Even though I didn't hate S2 like most of you guys did, the writing and my interest in the show definitely took a major dive this year, and I can't say I'm all that interesting in staying onboard for S3. Eh, we'll see. Shame they just don't know when to end it though.

Want to place bets on the plot of Season 3 will be Hardy investigating the death of
Joe Miller and hard evidence pointing to Ellie being the killer?

Would I have any problems with going from Gracepoint Season 1 to Broadchurch Season 2? I want to watch it VOD since BBC is now showing it.

No, it is exactly the same EXCEPT
the son didn't do it, that is the only change, it was just the husband, and the Miller (Gunn's character the English version) isn't keeping some weird secret about that going int season 2.
. Otherwise the two are identical. Nearly shot for shot.

ohNOitsRO

Tried to find a season 2 thread but couldn't.

Started season 2 last night after waiting for the whole season to finally be up on Amazon since I'm in the U.S., and I'm really content with the direction of this season

idk why I was under the impression that it would be a new crime, ala true detective but with most of the same cast, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the courtroom drama unfolding in the first three episodes regarding the Miller case

Anyways super excited to finish this season, this show is seriously captivating.

I just started watching it last night too. Currently on episode 4, and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I think a big part of it is the acting; Olivia Colman (Miller) in particular is so great, and it's nice to see her in a serious role after mostly knowing her from comedy or sitcom roles. Not sure where they're going with the Lee Ashworth storyline - I hope it pays off, because it kind of feels unnecessary at this point.

Covfan

Can we adopt this as a season 3 thread?

Started last night in the UK on ITV and I'm only halfway through the first episode but I am enjoying it so far. Remains to be seen if it goes off the rails as much as the second series did.

Trish seems a bit dodgy to me.

Garage guy is definitely a big red herring.

Interested to see how the plot develops considering there's no big murder here, I imagine the rapist will need to strike again for the pace to keep up.

I thought it was interesting how both Tenant and Coleman's characters come across as a bit unlikable in this first episode of the season, lashing out at people around them.

Jezabel

Anyone else been keeping up with this season. I've found it really compelling. The last episode was a real gut punch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom