• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword: The Director's Cut - The Official Thread (Wii & DS)

stuburns said:
They should port the Wii version to PC, pop it on Steam $35 = mega profit.

So Kawazu's latest single-player RPG is on PC, but the latest Broken Sword game is console/handheld exclusive? Is this Bizarro World?

Sloane

Banned
jon bones said:
are VOs so well done that they're a make it or break it feature?
They are exceptional but the GBA version worked well without them, so I wouldn't say it's a make it or break it feature. The game is great even without the voice acting.

Regarding the PC version, I think they want to find out if an adventure game can sell decent enough on Nintendo platforms alone. But, then again, it's Ubisoft. Maybe they've just no clue what they're doing at all.

Vinnk

Great OP Sloane! I am sold. But you should put up some links to places to buy it.

And I need to find some cash... It's been an expensive few weeks.

Madworld, HotDoverkill, Persona 4 (Amazon deal of the day), Broken Sword.

And 20+ hours? Yikes am I gonna be busy...

BluWacky

Opiate said:
What other PnCs are available for the Wii? I know Sam and Max season 1 is available. Anything else?

From a quick Amazon look...

Secret Files Tunguska - supposed to be half decent, sequel comes out in May
CSI: Hard Evidence - I love these games but they are pretty poor, probably works very well with the Wiimote
And Then There Were None - not played it, my sister reckons it's quite good though...
Evil Under The Sun - probably fairly similar to the above

And the Strongbad games on WiiWare are point and click too.

Nothing particularly fantastic (I find the Sam and Max games very hit and miss) but some solid adventuring to be had.

Timber

man, come to think of it the wii and ds really came about 10 years too late for adventure fans. sure the selection of games beats the hell out of any other console, but can you imagine the games we would have gotten if the popularity of the systems and the popularity of the genre had co-existed and quality titles wouldn't be so few and far between? now it seems the genre is defined (both on pc and consoles) by generic detective games.

the way most adventure devs tried to reach out to console audiences can be described as pathetic at best. all of a sudden console owners were expected to buy lackluster sequels to games they'd never played and then devs scratched their heads when their games didn't sell. now there are two new systems that are tailor-made for adventure games, and the genre is in such a sorry state :(

oh well. thanks for keeping adventure games alive, revolution and telltale! it's a tough job, but someone HAS to do it.

I'm on this like white on rice, like stink on a monkey, like otakus on pocky, like Jennifer Connally on a depressing script, like crazy on Micheal Jackson, like high schoolers on cigarettes, like cops on a donut shop, and so on.

Datrio

Actually, where is the cheapest place to import it from? Looks like Poland forgot about this game and I can't find it anywhere for preorder.

Majora

Personally I would recommend the wii version because the orchestral score is excellent and will inevitably not sound as good on the DS. Also the voiceovers really add something to the game, particularly George's. That said I can understand the appeal of having it in handheld format.

I'll be all over this, I just hope the new sections are as good as the old stuff.

nightside

Sloane said:
And Runaway 2. Decent game on PC, haven't played the Wii version though.

and Then There Were None from the Adventure Company.

Wish more could come. Too bad LucasArts is too stupid to put out a MI:collection (or DotT, Grim Fandango)...dunno about sierra games...who has the rights now?

iirc there another adventure (can't remember the name) from the makers of tunguska coming. oh, and Jen Jensen said that there could be a wii version of Grey Matter.

Minsc

Gold Member
stuburns said:
I'd never tried the Scumm emulator thing, I meant natively. I have the old mac version running on my MacBook fine, because the PC version gave me a lot of crap with graphical errors and things.

ScummVM is one of the best emulators, for it's simplicity and it runs perfectly on most of the old great adventure games. You should download it and check it out, there's almost no way to get it wrong, and you'd have it running on the PC in under 1 minute.

ScummVM will run the game 100% how you remember it, and all the setup you have to do is select the game's location, and you're done.

StuBurns

Banned
Minsc said:
ScummVM is one of the best emulators, for it's simplicity and it runs perfectly on most of the old great adventure games. You should download it and check it out, there's almost no way to get it wrong, and you'd have it running on the PC in under 1 minute.

ScummVM will run the game 100% how you remember it, and all the setup you have to do is select the game's location, and you're done.
I'm going to try it thanks, BS2 isn't on mac and it'd be nice to play that again. Thanks.

Mesijs

I'm already owning this game, going to review it for Gamer.nl. Some impressions.

I didn't play the original, so I was quite curious about this one, since I'm a fan of traditional adventures. I do really like the game. First of all, it really works well on Wii. Obviously the genre is fit perfectly for the console, but they also put in a few small puzzles that work great. Totally not gimmicky and really adding something to the experience.

I understand that the parts where you play Nicole are new? If so, my compliments to the developers that they can still create this high level adventure gameplay, because you can't see the difference at all, gameplay quality wise.

The game looks really nice. It was the first time I connected the Wii to my brand new tv, so I was worried to see some blurry trash, but it does really look decent and also has a nice style.

What I did notice quite clearly actually, is that the sound of the newer parts is lots better than the sound in the rest of the game. Overall, the sound looks really hollow and old, 13 years old actually, so thats a bit of a con.

Overall, great game. Would recommend it to any adventure fan.

epmode

Minsc said:

The Broken Sword games aren't quite that simple, unfortunately. You might need to download (free) video files that are compatible with SCUMMVM, since some retail versions won't display any video at all. Just look through the official SCUMMVM forums for instructions.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Mesijs said:
What I did notice quite clearly actually, is that the sound of the newer parts is lots better than the sound in the rest of the game. Overall, the sound looks really hollow and old, 13 years old actually, so thats a bit of a con.

What do you mean exactly? Voices, music, sound effects?

Minsc

Gold Member
epmode said:
The Broken Sword games aren't quite that simple, unfortunately. You might need to download (free) video files that are compatible with SCUMMVM, since some retail versions won't display any video at all. Just look through the official SCUMMVM forums for instructions.

Thanks for the correction, I've only used it for Lucas Arts games, didn't even occur to me that it might work differently for other companies... makes sense now. Well, I still think SCUMMVM is awesome and worth getting regardless :)

Mesijs said:
I'm already owning this game, going to review it for Gamer.nl. Some impressions.

I didn't play the original, so I was quite curious about this one, since I'm a fan of traditional adventures. I do really like the game. First of all, it really works well on Wii. Obviously the genre is fit perfectly for the console, but they also put in a few small puzzles that work great. Totally not gimmicky and really adding something to the experience.

I understand that the parts where you play Nicole are new? If so, my compliments to the developers that they can still create this high level adventure gameplay, because you can't see the difference at all, gameplay quality wise.

The game looks really nice. It was the first time I connected the Wii to my brand new tv, so I was worried to see some blurry trash, but it does really look decent and also has a nice style.

Thanks for the impressions!

Sloane

Banned
Visualante said:
Still getting it after the price drops.
Not sure about the US but in Europe it already seems to be a bit cheaper than most third-party Wii games. 40 Euros instead of 50, I think.

BaZZaa

Neo Member
Mesijs said:

I have an question about your review on gamer.nl. Your saying that there isn't enough new stuff in the game, but here you tell us that you never played the original. Isn't that an bit strange, you can't compare it do you?

Minsc

Gold Member
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but can you die in the Broken Swords games?

Furthermore can you screw thing up ala Gabriel Knight, by not doing a certain action on one day, only to find out a few days later that you messed up and need to restore back a half dozen saves?

I guess I got spoiled by the Lucas Arts methodology of you can't lose. I saw the trailer above, and there looks like there's a bit of combat as well, do you have to do any action sequences involving fighting or QTEs?

Minsc said:
1 Didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but can you die in the Broken Swords games?

2 Furthermore can you screw thing up ala Gabriel Knight, by not doing a certain action on one day, only to find out a few days later that you messed up and need to restore back a half dozen saves?

3 I guess I got spoiled by the Lucas Arts methodology of you can't lose. I saw the trailer above, and there looks like there's a bit of combat as well, do you have to do any action sequences involving fighting or QTEs?

1 yes
2 no
3 no. there are certain "action scenes",where you can die, but you have still to move the cursor and use an object.

StuBurns

Banned
Warren Ellis said:
3 no. there are certain "action scenes",where you can die, but you have still to move the cursor and use an object.
I hated that scene so much. I really wanted to kill the guy.

BluWacky

Minsc said:
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but can you die in the Broken Swords games?

Yes, you can. Generally it's made very obvious - it's not like Sierra games where you wander into a screen and discover a gorgon standing next to you randomly or anything like that, but you do get into dangerous situations.

Furthermore can you screw thing up ala Gabriel Knight, by not doing a certain action on one day, only to find out a few days later that you messed up and need to restore back a half dozen saves?

No, you can't screw it up.

I guess I got spoiled by the Lucas Arts methodology of you can't lose. I saw the trailer above, and there looks like there's a bit of combat as well, do you have to do any action sequences involving fighting or QTEs?

You have to react relatively quickly, but there's no fighting or QTEs - it's occasionally a little like Dragon's Lair in that you have to move to the right place, but it's nowhere near as stupid as that as you can work out what you should do rather than pressing and blindly hoping you've not screwed up.

I can't remember if you're able to just restart before the bit you screwed up or not, to be honest. For some reason I think you could, but I might be making that up.

Minsc

Gold Member
Great, thanks for the answers. Sounds like I'll enjoy it, here's to hoping it does well and they green light timely remakes of the sequels with additional content as well!

Gomu Gomu

Never played the original. So, naturally I was very excited when I heard the news about this port. defenantly a must on my Wii.

Top Bottom