• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brothers in Arms: Furious Four Announced (Ubi Conf)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

I am not Max
A more serious Inglourious game would be exceptional

This was unexpected. Can't say i'm into the stylized character design in all these shooter games but maybe this will turn out a well made co-op experience

Putting the BIA name on this is a mistake.

Pitchford even stood there saying that BIA is about fighting for the man next to you, a more realistic take, respectful, then just stated he's "not here to talk about that".

Those games always seemed to have a modicum of respect for the subject matter, and a bit of research put in...

Who they thought this'd appeal to by putting the BIA name on it is beyond me. Should have been a stand-alone title...

Cartman86

Banned
Nihilistic Monk said:
Putting the BIA name on this is a mistake.

Pitchford even stood there saying that BIA is about fighting for the man next to you, a more realistic take, respectful, then just stated he's "not here to talk about that".

Those games always seemed to have a modicum of respect for the subject matter, and a bit of research put in...

Who they thought this'd appeal to by putting the BIA name on it is beyond me. Should have been a stand-alone title...

He said something like they would love to make another one of those... obviously the last one didn't sell well enough.

Looks ridiculous and is antithetical to what Brothers in Arms was about. Very disappointing (I was a huge Road to Hill 30 fan).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wow, what a mis-step for a once good IP. though this looks to have taken all the retarded violence, added some dude bro, and removed the style that inglorious bastards had. and i hated that movie too.

As others have said, shouldn't have BIA in the title. They're just capitalizing on that brand power.

I was really hoping for a new actual BIA that had 4-player co-op where each one of you controlled a squad/platoon and worked on different objectives or met up for bigger objectives.

Maybe we'll get that in 10 years....

EYEL1NER

I like this. I do agree that maybe they should have steered away from the BiA name, but I like this a lot.
The only game I have played in the series is Hell's Highway, but I really liked it and was hoping for a new one soon. Maybe this is nothing like that, but it is a WW2 shooter, which is something I enjoy. Bought.

matt05891

I loved the original and have to say I couldn't help but the think "What the HELL did they do to these games?!" I feel they are using the name to get consumers and people who didn't play the others to jump on. Either way it was a good run but I have serious doubts that there will ever be another "true" sequel again.

dude, WHAT THE FUCK? BIA was a legit franchise. Hell's Highway had amazing squad and FPS gameplay. If they cut down on the solo sections it would have been damn near perfect. Been playing since Hill 30, learning that shit about A&G and Leggett blew my mind + Hartsock at the end of HH actually felt real. They had Col Antal and Dale Dye, now they just shit all over everything. Wasn't the end of HH supposed to set up the Battle of the Ardennes? Would have been sweet, too bad this bullshit happened. Fuck Gearbox you sellout fucks

Eh, as a big fan of the first two BiA games (third one was OK), I really don't mind them trying something new with the series. Fuck it, being inspired by Inglorious Basterds is a bonus.

Advance_Alarm said:
dude, WHAT THE FUCK? BIA was a legit franchise. Hell's Highway had amazing squad and FPS gameplay. If they cut down on the solo sections it would have been damn near perfect. Been playing since Hill 30, learning that shit about A&G and Leggett blew my mind + Hartsock at the end of HH actually felt real. They had Col Antal and Dale Dye, now they just shit all over everything. Wasn't the end of HH supposed to set up the Battle of the Ardennes? Would have been sweet, too bad this bullshit happened. Fuck Gearbox you sellout fucks

Preach on my fellow brother in arms.

Ponti

Advance_Alarm said:
Was really looking forward to a BiA set during the winter in a more rural area. Not to mention finding out how Matt would've ended up dealing with his PTSD.

So disappointed :(

Wthermans

Banned
I've loved the Brothers in Arms games ever since Road to Hill 30 on the original Xbox. It was the BEST SP WW2 shooter ever. The squad based gameplay and reliance on tactics was unmatched. Some hated Hell's Highway, but I even enjoyed that. This is just pure garbage though. It's plain to see that this was supposed to be original IP (based on Inglorious Bastards) that Gearbox is trying to milk the BiA name for. It's disgraceful and makes me want to never purchase a Gearbox game again.

Gearbox, if you're reading this, just save face and drop the BiA name from the game. If you really need to disgrace the BiA franchise in a sad attempt to scam the fans of the series into purchasing a game that has NOTHING in common with it's predecessors, then your game is already a failure. Fuck you Pitchford. Fuck you Gearbox. Fuck you Ubisoft.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Looks terrible and lacks virtually all of the self-awareness that made Inglourious Bastards an enjoyable film.

Wthermans

Banned
rasberryjam said:
Wow, this is a major dissapointment. It's like they're riding some sort of Duke Nukem high.
So what you're saying is I should hope DNF has horrible sales in the hopes that Pitchford/Gearbox realize that going Full Dudebro is not the way to win the COD crowd?

Hopefully this will go through a complete redesign like Borderlands did and comes out the other way looking like a proper Brothers In Arms game. I'm a huge fan of the series and the first two were one of my favorite games of the previous generation.

Palmer_v1

I'm not opposed to a 4 person co-op shooter, but calling it Brothers in Arms is bullshit.

So much for Find, Fix, Flank, and Finish.

What happened to the first two games? Those were fucking awesome. They were World War II shooters that were actually interesting. Hell's Highway was already a departure, and this looks absolutely ridiculous.

Dipswitch

Eh, can't say I'm impressed by the new direction they've taken with things. I'll wait to see gameplay before writing the series off completely though - Gearbox generally makes decent titles, so this might actually be fun.

Where can I write in to complain? I don't mind them making Furious Four, but dammit, Brothers in Arms is about authentic military tactics. What would Col. Antel think of this?

Salazar

BobsRevenge said:
This looks dumb. Really dumb. And a little offensive.

This.

A humorous take has to be humorous, not just crammed with emotionally sterile dudebro ebullience and wackiness.

Eric Hall

I think this looks like it could be pretty fun. Are we back to people wanting millions of generic World War 2 shooters again?

And Hell's Highway sucked anyway and most people forgot this series even existed. Gearbox might as well try something different in hopes of creating attention

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Meh, if it was a new IP I would be pretty happy.

However Brothers in Arms Hells Highway paved the way for an amazing sequel. This is NOT brothers in arms in ANYTHING but name and the fact that it is in WWII.

BiA is about teamwork, coordination, story, serious tonality, historical realism.

This is an Inglorious Basterds ripoff. That ordinarily would be awesome, but don't ruin the Brothers in Arms name with this...

Dead Man

AlimNassor said:
This is ABSURD. Way to ruin the great series that was BiA. God, this pisses me off so much. I'm actually mad.
Actually, Hells Highway did that, but yeah, this is pretty bad.

Haunted

It's good that they're aware of the strengths of the Brothers in Arms franchise and what made it popular and unique among the glut of first person shooters out there.

I think it's very uplifting to see a company recognising what made a franchise popular - in this case the attention to detail in the tactics-based gameplay and the realism in the human interactions and characterisations of their protagonists - and not selling out and cheapening the experience by riding current trends and adding superfluous flavour-of-the month gimmicks and elements.

BIA_S_014_Montana_Melee_Weapon_Kill.jpg

wait what

jergrah

This was one of the strangest announcements for me at E3 this year. Ive played and enjoyed all of the BiA games -- and to see it go this direction was just kind of confusing. I dont mind a new IP and different take, but it seems odd to leave the BiA name associated with it.

From a business perspective, I get it, because you are putting out a known commodity/brand name. But it's so far from what those games were, just seems odd.

The trailers for this game and the new Insomniac game (Overstrike) seemed very similar to me. They both showed off 4 characters in an art style that probably wont be duplicated in game and both seemed kind of silly. I guess until I see actual gameplay of each, Ill try to keep an open mind though.

Darker

Banned
As we all know, there are three great video games of the 21st Century. They are S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC, Driver: San Francisco, and Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway.

After how brilliant BIA was at tactical, squad-based gameplay that actually made you think, alongside some great shooting mechanics and a narrative that at least tried (I very much enjoyed it), I'm glad to Furious 4 seems dead. It was a monument to man's arrogance.

What I'm more concerned with is how Gearbox seem to have gotten away with it. How can they attempt to ruin a series, go silent on all fronts, appear to lose Ubisoft as publisher and then just pretend like nothing happened for years? Even worse, why aren't they being hounded down by sneaky press fucks for holding a brilliant I.P. hostage? (And if the answer is 'well it's a small game they probably don't care about' - isn't it their job to care?)

Instead, we're finally getting that narrative-led Telltale Borderlands episodic series we all begged for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They ruined Aliens, they're torturing Borderlands, they're going to kill Homeworld (yes they are) and I don't even think they know what they're doing to BiA. Even if you don't care for BiA, you have to stand up against the injustice you see here - otherwise, it could be your favourite series next...

1) What's happening with BiA?
2) How come everyone seems to be giving Gearbox a free pass with this?

Jackpot

Banned
As we all know, there are three great video games of the 21st Century. They are S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC, Driver: San Francisco, and Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway.

After how brilliant BIA was at tactical, squad-based gameplay that actually made you think, alongside some great shooting mechanics and a narrative that at least tried (I very much enjoyed it), I'm glad to Furious 4 seems dead. It was a monument to man's arrogance.

What I'm more concerned with is how Gearbox seem to have gotten away with it. How can they attempt to ruin a series, go silent on all fronts, appear to lose Ubisoft as publisher and then just pretend like nothing happened for years? Even worse, why aren't they being hounded down by sneaky press fucks for holding a brilliant I.P. hostage? (And if the answer is 'well it's a small game they probably don't care about' - isn't it their job to care?)

Instead, we're finally getting that narrative-led Telltale Borderlands episodic series we all begged for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They ruined Aliens, they're torturing Borderlands, they're going to kill Homeworld (yes they are) and I don't even think they know what they're doing to BiA. Even if you don't care for BiA, you have to stand up against the injustice you see here - otherwise, it could be your favourite series next...

1) What's happening with BiA?
2) How come everyone seems to be giving Gearbox a free pass with this?

If you couldn't tell by the age of the thread, Furious Four is dead. An opportunistic attempt to cash in on the Inglorious Bastards hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom