• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal Legend Cover Art.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Ken Masters said:
that Psychonauts game was huge hit, wasn't it....

You said its been getting coverage because of Jack Black, this isn't anything to do with sales. It's been getting media coverage in the enthusiast sector because of Tim.

I'm under no illusion that Tim's games sell well, but he is well loved in our neck of the woods.

Wiggum2007

Looks pretty good, though I'd prefer something hand-drawn. More importantly, though, the main antagonist in this game is being voiced by Tim Curry.

2ugjkmw.jpg

Hell yea!

Zzoram

Wiggum2007 said:
Looks pretty good, though I'd prefer something hand-drawn. More importantly, though, the main antagonist in this game is being voiced by Tim Curry.

2ugjkmw.jpg

Hell yea!

He's the Soviet Premier in Red Alert 3 isn't he?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Haunted said:
That's better than the one in the OP.

Of course, that's before THE HUGE STICKERS ruin everything anyway.

Edit: Beaten by your edit! Curse you!

Ken Masters said:
it's pretentious

instead of focusing on the game itself, he sees this as an opportunity to increase his own "fame". But let's be real, without Jack Black this game doesn't 1/100 the coverage it's been getting
Yeah, you're right, Tim Schafer forgot to focus on the game itself. He spent so much time meticulously arranging the typesetting, placing every letter of his name credit on the front of every individual box, that he never got around to the business of actually writing the game's script or serving as its creative director or running the studio he founded. WHOOPS

Jake

Ken Masters said:
it's pretentious

instead of focusing on the game itself, he sees this as an opportunity to increase his own "fame". But let's be real, without Jack Black this game doesn't 1/100 the coverage it's been getting

You know what would be great? If it just said "EA" on the box. Who gives a shit who made the game?

Back in the day EA used to always list their lead designers' names on the box. It was one of those things which made Electronic Arts cool. I don't know if they've done it since Alice, though, and before that it was probably the early '90s, when they were still doing album art-like covers.

FFChris

Pretty suprised the cover hasn't gone with the roadie standing on a mountain of skulls, slaying a giant monster with scantily clad women at this feet. Disappointing!

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Love the cover and can't wait for the game.

My only complaint is that the Brutal Legend logo doesn't have the blood splatter on it and on the Euro cover it does.

StuBurns

Banned
Grecco said:
Maybe they should think about taking his name off the cover?
Why? You either know who he is, and therefore want the game, or you don't care.
I've never a met a single gamer who actually dislikes his games, but if they did, they'd probably have to be 'hardcore' enough to actually know it was his even without the name.

Damodar

Wiggum2007 said:

Yes... I'm afraid so... But isn't it nice![IMG]

Hell yea![/QUOTE]

Wait what?! Really? How did this info slip by me! :O

I fucking adore Schafer's work, but now I want this game even more

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh man, what an egotistical bastard. We should take his name off the cover. We should put Jack Black's name on the cover...because he's not egotistical. He's the voice actor. They're never egotistical. They deserve recognition. Designers? Fuck them. They don't need it.

thetrin said:
Oh man, what an egotistical bastard. We should take his name off the cover. We should put Jack Black's name on the cover...because he's not egotistical. He's the voice actor. They're never egotistical. They deserve recognition. Designers? Fuck them. They don't need it.

Seeing as the point of a box is to sell the game, putting Jack Black's name on there would make a hell of a lot more sense. True or false?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
TheGreatDave said:
Seeing as the point of a box is to sell the game, putting Jack Black's name on there would make a hell of a lot more sense. True or false?
This is hardcore as it is and has been getting good buzz and nice plug ins via JB as it is. Tim's name should be on that cover though.

And that US cover is much better than the other.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Gimme some examples of voice actors on the box. I remember this (pretty awful) point and click with Rick Mayall's name on the box.

343hutl.jpg

Flavius

This is the time when I need to remember that half the little snot-nosed kids posted in this thread never played Full Throttle, nor know who the fuck Tim Schafer is, right?

What a ridiculous thing to rail against.

Flavius said:
This is the time when I need to remember that half the little snot-nosed kids posted in this thread never played Full Throttle, nor know who the fuck Tim Schafer is, right?

What a ridiculous thing to rail against.

Full Throttle????
Dude if your gonna' bring up a Tim Schafer game it has to be Grim Fandango.
Full Throttle is like what half an hour long.

Jesus Christ, the dude created the game and world behind it. I dont see any bitching on movie posters when they do the same thing for directors and actors.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
TheGreatDave said:
After Year One's opening weekend, I'd say false. This is an enthusiast title that's going to benefit from a lot of mainstream attention for its cast, promoting them without having to make them a box art bullet point.

Regardless, Schafer is a true gaming auteur and deserves the credit.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Witchfinder General said:
Nice, but would have preferred a more stylised, hand-drawn cover.
I agree. Renders are usually never good. Also the PAL cover is poopy looking :(

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
They can package this game inside a wad of used toilet paper and I will gnaw through it to get me some Schafer.

I feel bad for Double Fine and Tim Schafer because i don't think this will sell at all. Hopefully it does though. All of them deserve it.

The game deserves to sell if it's good. I'm hopeful from the videos I saw, but even as a huge Grim Fandango fan I HATED Psychonauts, so I'm hoping 3D action-y games from them have improved quite a bit.

Mr.Green

FromTheFuture said:
I feel bad for Double Fine and Tim Schafer because i don't think this will sell at all. Hopefully it does though. All of them deserve it.

Are you kidding? Unless the game is a steaming turd it will easily break the million copies. Hell, make that 2.

Haunted

TheGreatDave said:
The game deserves to sell if it's good. I'm hopeful from the videos I saw, but even as a huge Grim Fandango fan I HATED Psychonauts, so I'm hoping 3D action-y games from them have improved quite a bit.
And to think I once respected you.

Wiggum2007

Damodar said:
Wait what?! Really? How did this info slip by me! :O

I fucking adore Schafer's work, but now I want this game even more

Yup, he's voicing this dude, Doviculus:
vmrrm9.jpg

21euxbn.jpg

Mr.Green said:
I'm with him. Psychonauts had style but from a gameplay perspective it was a mediocre platformer with tired mechanics.

I agree that I thought the platforming mechanics themselves to be somewhat bland, but I thought the level designs themselves made up for that, after the first couple tutorial levels each one was unique and completely different from any other in the game, I had a fun time with Psychonauts in that respect.

Top Bottom