• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Budapest to withdraw bid for 2024 Olympics, leaving L.A. and Paris as only contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-budapest-2024-olympics-withdraw-20170222-story.html

Budapest will withdraw its bid to host the 2024 Summer Olympics, leaving only Los Angeles and Paris in the race.

Hungarian government spokesman Zoltan Kovacs confirmed the withdrawal to the Associated Press on Wednesday. The joint decision by Prime Minister Viktor Orban, Budapest Mayor Istvan Tarlos and the Hungarian Olympic Committee will be formally voted on by the Budapest City Assembly.

Fidesz, the governing party, said the decision was made to avoid “a loss of international prestige” for Hungary, saying the bid had a very small chance of success.

The bid was expected to face a citywide referendum promoted by a new political party, which gathered more than 266,000 signatures in favor of holding the vote.

The International Olympic Committee is scheduled to choose the 2024 host city in September.

I feel like LA would have the edge if it wasn't for, you know, Trump.

Maybe Marine will win tho

Arol

Pretty sure Garcetti wants them in LA. Some sort of bid to win reelection and probably push for running for governor

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
My thoughts on LA getting it:

f8Go3Aq.gif

Paris can have it. The Olympics are a gigantic money sink and a recipe for financial disaster.

LA is not going to build anything new for the Olympics, just refurbish some arenas and double down on some of the infrastructure improvements already happening. LA made money in 84, they have the best chance of doing so again.

PsychBat!

Banned
Paris can have it. The Olympics are a gigantic money sink and a recipe for financial disaster.

US ain't gonna lose money because they don't need to build new infrastructure, they already have it

It's why many people think it's a no brainer for the World Cup to be hosted in the US but FIFA is dumb as bricks

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm a fan of the "just hold the Summer Olympics in Greece every 4 years" idea.

Same. With the infrastructure paid for by other countries.
And make everyone compete naked. Ok, not that last part.

Ogodei

Trumplympics vs Penlympics.

Of course, the alternative was Orbanlympics, so...

(yes i know none of them might've still been in power by 2024).

I bet they'll give it to Paris because the odds of Le Pen in power in 2024 are lower than the odds of Trump still being president by then (even if i'd give him very bad odds for reelection). In these conditions, a Trumplympics might end up being like Los Angeles in '84 when none of the Warsaw Pact showed up, or one of the other infamous boycott olympics (NATO in '80, some Arab countries in '56 over the Suez Canal, and a bunch of African countries in 64 or 68, forget which, regarding Apartheid).

Ponn

Banned
I'm a fan of the "just hold the Summer Olympics in Greece every 4 years" idea.

This would actually solve one of the major problems of it being a money sink by making it stationary. Better yet choose a city that could hold both the Summer and Winter Olympics.

Make LA a bigger shithole than it already is by wasting money on an international pissing contest. Great! The Olympics need to be reformed or abolished completely.

SpecX

LA is not going to build anything new for the Olympics, just refurbish some arenas and double down on some of the infrastructure improvements already happening. LA made money in 84, they have the best chance of doing so again.

The new Rams/Charger stadium will be a huge selling point to have the games in LA. The other stadiums already in place can use an upgrade which will also benefit the community. I think this would be a good chance to improve public transportation as well to get people between the events easier than driving the LA streets/traffic. I would definitely go if they have the games in LA since it's very close by for me.

Savitar

Who would want it.

Paris probably has the best chance to win it, can't see people feeling secure about the US these days due to Trump and his whole "You can't come here" spiel these days.

LA can actually make a profit from hosting. Also it would drive more investment into infrastructure. Though they are spending billions on mass transit and LAX already.

I see the only con is the traffic hell LA will deal with for two weeks. Not like it isn't hell already.

Make LA a bigger shithole than it already is by wasting money on an international pissing contest. Great! The Olympics need to be reformed or abolished completely.

Does being a full time edgelord not afford you the time to do a quick google search on the topic? The last LA Olympics were a huge financial boon for the city.

AP90

Good call Budapest. Olympics should just be held in one spot every year with every participating nation contributing $ to keep the facilities in good working condition.

Fidesz, the governing party, said the decision was made to avoid “a loss of international prestige” for Hungary, saying the bid had a very small chance of success.

More like if they won people would find out what it's become with all the oligarchs and fascists running the joint.

Matt

It's so interesting how the realities of Olympic financing coming to light has driven so many people to now think hosting them is always a bad idea.

I'd hate the traffic that came with it, but LA really should host it. It makes too much sense for both the Olympics and for Los Angeles.

US ain't gonna lose money because they don't need to build new infrastructure, they already have it

It's why many people think it's a no brainer for the World Cup to be hosted in the US but FIFA is dumb as bricks

FIFA probably wants a nation hosting the tournament that actually cares about the sport and won't call it soccer.

Piggus

LA is not getting it if Trump is still president and immigration bans are still a thing.

IF Trump wins reelection (IF he makes it 4 years in the first place), he'll be on his way out anyway, and we don't know what congress will look like at that time. The bids are decided on long before that even happens though. Russia's rampant homophobia and threats to jail gay people certainly didn't phase the IOC.

FIFA probably wants a nation hosting the tournament that actually cares about the sport and won't call it soccer.

Jesus Christ lol.

FIFA cares about how much bribe money they receive, and Qatar ponied up.

I'd hate the traffic that came with it, but LA really should host it. It makes too much sense for both the Olympics and for Los Angeles.

That's kind of what I'm thinking as well. We already have a lot going for us, and the infrastructure boon is what Garcetti wants/what would be best for the city. It might also force Beverly Hills to approve that line down Santa Monica Blvd.

It would be a sight to behold if all contenders withdrew their bid and the corrupt cronies at the Olympic commitee could not reap from the taxpayers of any of the two remaining cities.

NoRéN

L.A.'s gonna have to do something about all the homeless. As someone who leaves east of downtown, I'm not looking forward to that. Shit's bad enough as it is.

Tagyhag

Yep, I'll hate those 2 and a half weeks but the city will be better for it, and our infrastructure could definitely use some upgrades.

And yes guys, not having to build any huge stadiums is a plus for budget control, the city would certainly gain more than they spend at the end of it all.

Joni

They will both get it. One in 2024 and the other in 2028. They are both 'due' a win. France would probably not retry after a 5th loss and the US is good for sponsors.

Nydius

Gold Member
Worked very well for Atlanta. The Olympics are only a drain for cities that dont already have solid infrastructure in place.

Atlanta didn't have the infrastructure in place. They had to build a LOT. But they had a hell of a lot of corporate sponsors - Coke, Budweiser, Ted Turner, etc. That's the ONLY reason it worked out for them. The same thing can be said about Salt Lake City. Too many cities host end up LOSING a lot of money. Just ask Sydney, Athens, Nagano, Turino, and Sochi.

Would LA lose money? Probably not. They'd still need some building done to be fully prepared but they'd likely follow the playbook as set up by Atlanta and Salt Lake City.

Budapest would have never seen a good return on investment.

I'm sure Trump will be long gone by 2024.

Doesn't matter who's president then, what matters is who is president when the winning city is announced. That happens this September. If I were to bet, I'd bet that European anti-Trump sentiment pretty much hands the games to Paris.

E:

Cute, but soccer is a British term made up back in the 19th century. We Americans didn't make it up. I won't even touch your idiotic statement about people not caring about the sport, not with a mere two weeks to go before season kickoff of MLS.

I hope we get it in LA, it will help us speed up our much needed public transportation infrastructure. We would do a great job here turing it into a positive opportunity for our city. The temporary stress on the city during he months would be annoying but it could provide much needed relief on our populations ability to maneuver throughout the city.

It made money because of tourism, right? I can't imagine as many people would want to come to America after Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom