• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Budapest to withdraw bid for 2024 Olympics, leaving L.A. and Paris as only contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hope Paris wins. Not that he had anything to do with it, but I don't want Trump taking credit.

Also be amazing if the IOC cites uncertainty with athletes entering the county as a reason.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
technically there is no way 2024 will have Trump in power, unless he loses and then gets re-elected after that presidency. so maybe it isnt as much of a shoe-in for Paris as you'd think.

FIFA probably wants a nation hosting the tournament that actually cares about the sport and won't call it soccer.

The 2010 world cup was held at SOCCER city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FNB_Stadium

South Africa calls the game soccer.

technically there is no way 2024 will have Trump in power, unless he loses and then gets re-elected after that presidency. so maybe it isnt as much of a shoe-in for Paris as you'd think.

if trump wins in 2020 he's president till 2025

Sulik2

Hosting the Olympics is good if you already have the stadiums and infrastructure which is not a lot of cities in the world and it should rotate between them.

I'm sure Trump will be long gone by 2024.

I hope so anyway.

He will be starting less then a year from starting his third term as America's sovereign leader.
I'm 50/50 on Trump taking authoritarian power or the USA being involved in a civil war by 2024

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
I hope we get it in LA, it will help us speed up our much needed public transportation infrastructure. We would do a great job here turing it into a positive opportunity for our city. The temporary stress on the city during he months would be annoying but it could provide much needed relief on our populations ability to maneuver throughout the city.

This. I recall reading a few times that if LA got the Olympics then the Purple Line second and third phases would be fast tracked to be completed by that time. If they can also have the Sepulveda Pass completed by that time too that would be beyond awesome.

It won't happen, but I would also hope for the Metro West Santa Ana Branch to be fast tracked too.

It made money because of tourism, right? I can't imagine as many people would want to come to America after Trump.

Hard to say, but I bet a significant percentage of those profits were from American tourists from other parts of the country. I'd have to see if anyone compiled numbers detailing the tourist breakdown.

milanbaros

Member?
US ain't gonna lose money because they don't need to build new infrastructure, they already have it

It's why many people think it's a no brainer for the World Cup to be hosted in the US but FIFA is dumb as bricks

The US hosted the World Cup in 1994. If that's a no brainer then what is England? Hell, forget England, within 5 years London could host the World Cup:

Twikenham
Wembley
London stadium
Emirates
New Stamford Bridge
New white heart lane

Smaller matches at either The Valley, Selhurst Park or Craven Cottage.

Rafy

I'm a fan of the "just hold the Summer Olympics in Greece every 4 years" idea.

As nice as this sentiment is, the only thing this would do is put us even deeper in the hole.

I am sad to see the biggest sports competition in the world, which was born in ancient Greece, end up like this. Me and the rest of the Greek citizens are going to have to be bled dry in taxes even more than we are now, in order to be able to afford it...

so thanks, but no thanks...

milanbaros

Member?
As nice as this sentiment is, the only thing this would do is put us even deeper in the hole.

I am sad to see the biggest sports competition in the world, which was born in ancient Greece, end up like this. Me and the rest of the Greek citizens are going to have to be bled dry in taxes even more than we are now, in order to be able to afford it...

so thanks, but no thanks...

Would it? If all you had to do was maintain instead of build from scratch?

The guarantee alone of a big event every 4 years like clockwork would spur infrastructure and hospitality investment.

Grath

More like if they won people would find out what it's become with all the oligarchs and fascists running the joint.

Nah, it's absolutely not it. Everyone already knows that they wanted to steal billions. Hell, they already did with the bid and pre-organizing it.

They wanted it badly, so badly - the PM, Orban is an insane sports fan, that's why "we" build stadiums everywhere in the country instead of anything useful. They are spending extreme amounts of money on that for this single reason. (The marked house here is Orban's house, he really really loves shitty football.) Also, organizing something this big is a great way to steal insane amounts of money. Just one example: Orban's old friend and neighbour, a gas repairmen who was an everyday gas repairman 10 years ago, suddenly somehow became one of the country's richest person when Orban became PM again. And he is dumb as a rock...

There is only one cause why we withdrew it: some young people who opposed it, collected signatures to do a referendum about the Olympics in Budapest, and they got lots and lost of signatures, much more than they needed, much more than anybody thought they would. So all signs point that in the referendum Fidesz would lose, and as they cannot be seen as losers, they did this to sabotage the referendum.

samn

Or a huge boon if managed correctly.

Yeah and when does that happen?

If you want to spend a ton of money on a city then do something other than building useless stadiums and billboards for Coca Cola. For example, put in some trams and bike lanes.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member

If you want to spend a ton of money on a city then do something other than building useless stadiums and billboards for Coca Cola. For example, put in some trams and bike lanes.

It happened in 1984. When Los Angeles last held it. We still have the facilities and LA is growing still.

LA is not going to have to build shit in terms of stadiums. The infrastructure is largely there, and what does get built serves a purpose post-Olympics because LA is a huge, highly populated city.

G.O.O.

Dammit LA, please win this ! France doesn't have all these billions to spend, also we keep having strikes and we're lazy and our cabs riot against uber drivers :(

Apzu

Paris 2024, it would be awesome to see a centenial, also Paris would be up there with London in hosting 3 Olympic games.

Madness

Paris can have it. The Olympics are a gigantic money sink and a recipe for financial disaster.

Not for LA which already has the facilities and has hosted before. Will be a no brainer to reuse LA facilities and inviting the world. They won't award Paris over LA after the Chicago snub and how Rio was a shitshow and Russia and London just hosted the Olympics Winter and Summer respectively. NA will be the continent as SK, Japan and China will host the next 3 and so Asia is out as is South America. Will go to NA watch.

Also, you people from California, this could be the kick in the pants to start major infrastructure projects. Still 7+ years away.

Apzu

This would be the third time LA hosted as well.
Oh, I didn't know that. But it's quite fascinating that all the candidates now have already hosted the olympics twice.

Not for LA which already has the facilities and has hosted before. Will be a no brainer to reuse LA facilities and inviting the world. They won't award Paris over LA after the Chicago snub and how Rio was a shitshow and Russia and London just hosted the Olympics Winter and Summer respectively. NA will be the continent as SK, Japan and China will host the next 3 and so Asia is out as is South America. Will go to NA watch.

Also, you people from California, this could be the kick in the pants to start major infrastructure projects. Still 7+ years away.
I don't know about that, historically the Olympics have always had a preference for Europe, they never go 3 editions out of Europe. For instance in the 60s it went from Rome to Tokyo to Mexico City and then back to Europe in Munich 72, or in the 80s with Moscow, Los Angeles, Seoul and Barcelona in 92 and also Barcelona, Atlanta, Sidney and back to Athens in 2004. So I would argue that Paris stands more of a chance here because it will come after London, Rio and Tokyo. Also, since there's a lot of politics (as well as briberies) in choosing the host city, I'd say the refugee crisis in Europe may be a reason the IOC will end up choosing Paris.

cruets

LA will win. Everyone just in denial

We got Rams stadium under construction. LAFC stadium also started construction. USC renovating the coliseum soon. Staples Center, LA Live. Galen center, Pauley pavilion, endless coast line, yadda yadda yadda

LA can host at the drop of a hat

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Pls not LA. PLSSSSS IT WOULD BE A COMPLETE DISASTER. IM IMAGINING IT NOW. People walking on the freeway just to get to the olympics

Iksenpets

Banned
Feels like that pretty much means it's Paris by default. I would think you can't give it to a city that can't guarantee all the athletes will be permitted in.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I would hope LA can do a great job if they get it, and make it benefit the city, but it does make me nervous from an economic standpoint and just the chaos around prepping the event. But hopefully LA's in a good position to handle all that and nothing goes sideways.

I'd consider going to some events at least.

unless he pulls off a Putin and enacts constitutional changes that would permit him to run again

Kephar

Republicans nearly have enough power to enact constitutional changes so anything is possible really.

Apzu

unless he pulls off a Putin and enacts constitutional changes that would permit him to run again
He was elected last year so he will be president until january 2021, and if he gets reelected in 2020 he will be the president in january 2025, so he doesn't even need to change anything to get there as it is.

However I'd like to point out that every populist always tries to change the rules, no matter the country, so Trump trying to change the constitution is almost certain. The good thing here is that changing the US Constituion is harder than in many other places, because you need the States to agree with the change and maybe that will make it harder for him.

valeo

that's actually good idea

we don't need cities getting financially fucked every four year

Greece is already financially fucked

As other people have said, if you have the infrastructure already, then it's actually beneficial. Don't know what is hard to understand about that.

I hope LA gets it. Trump isn't attractive to an international audience, but he'll be out of office by summer 2024, and the stuff going on in Rio was a much more direct threat to the safety of any tourists.

Plus I think LA can pull off another successful Olympics. They did it before, Atlanta did too. I think it would be a great way to further build up the existing infrastructure.

Paris would be cool I guess, but I'm in America so I'm biased.

Also, I really wanna see the Jenner / Kardashian family complete they last two miles of the torch handoff while streaming it on Instagram from every angle. That would be inspiring af

Piggus

It made money because of tourism, right? I can't imagine as many people would want to come to America after Trump.

US tourism suffered a bit during the Iraq war, but it still wasn't THAT bad. The events will still fill up, and it's not like Americans won't attend. We haven't had a summer Olympics for a while and people will be fairly eager to go. I'm definitely going if LA gets it.

Also, I would hope people are smart enough to realize that LA in no way represents Trump or his shitty-ass voters. It's an overwhelmingly liberal city. The games aren't being held in the middle of nowhere where people with protozoan levels of intelligence bitch and moan about foreigners they've never met.

And besides, is France REALLY that much better? The rise of Le Pen and the growing anti-immigrant sentiment there suggests no.

The men running and flapping all over...
The womem running and flapping all over too...

1167765311917411246.jpg

It happens all the time. 2012 being the last instance. LA last time, Barcelona, Atlanta all come to mind off the top of my head.

Mivey

FIFA probably wants a nation hosting the tournament that actually cares about the sport and won't call it soccer.
At this point, FIFA has so much bad rep, they should officially change it from football to soccer and rebrand themselves as FISA. Might also help them evade a few ongoing lawsuits. "FIFA? No, no, no, we FISA, you should try next door."

It would be a sight to behold if all contenders withdrew their bid and the corrupt cronies at the Olympic commitee could not reap from the taxpayers of any of the two remaining cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom