• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Budapest to withdraw bid for 2024 Olympics, leaving L.A. and Paris as only contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
Yeah

That green line is slow as molasses right now

Are you referring to the current drop off at Aviation to board buses to make it to LAX? Mainly as the Green Line as it is now outside of that is the fastest due to being nearly completely ROW as it is in-between the 105. 28 minutes from El Segundo to Lakewood is not bad.

Are you referring to the current drop off at Aviation to board buses to make it to LAX? Mainly as the Green Line as it is now outside of that is the fastest due to being nearly completely ROW due to being in-between the 105. 28 minutes from El Segundo to Lakewood is not bad.
I mean construction wise but those lax shuttle drivers are terrible

subrock

I'd love to see 0 bids for The Olympics in the future. Such a corrupt event that makes billionaires with the blood of the impoverished. It's a shame that there's an honest althete's story mired in all the bullshit.

I'm much more in favor of continuing to rotate the Olympics, but keeping them in more developed cities (i.e. you shouldn't use the Olympics as an excuse to make massive infrastructure improvements.) But why does everyone have such a hard on for permanently hosting them in Greece? If you're going to give a city a permanent 99.5% discount on the cost of state of the art facilities and a huge tourist draw, I'm sure there are plenty of cities that would bid for that.

Give it to LA!

Los Angeles is the best place to have it, it will be the start of the construction on the eventual Night City and Cyberpunk world, this will catapult California so far into the future ahead of the other slowpoke states that are already way behind!

But seriously it will be a good place to have it because of the already existing infrastructure, existing funds for more development, good weather.

It will suck a little for the Locals for a bit before hand and during, but afterwards it would have left them with brand new and or improved...EVERYTHING

numble

technically there is no way 2024 will have Trump in power, unless he loses and then gets re-elected after that presidency. so maybe it isnt as much of a shoe-in for Paris as you'd think.
Trump's current term ends in 2021. The next election is 2020. The next presidential term is from 2021-2025. The Olympics are in Summer 2024.

I'm much more in favor of continuing to rotate the Olympics, but keeping them in more developed cities (i.e. you shouldn't use the Olympics as an excuse to make massive infrastructure improvements.) But why does everyone have such a hard on for permanently hosting them in Greece? If you're going to give a city a permanent 99.5% discount on the cost of state of the art facilities and a huge tourist draw, I'm sure there are plenty of cities that would bid for that.

I guessing because they originated there.

I hope we get it in LA, it will help us speed up our much needed public transportation infrastructure. We would do a great job here turing it into a positive opportunity for our city. The temporary stress on the city during he months would be annoying but it could provide much needed relief on our populations ability to maneuver throughout the city.
Yeah, this will only benefit us in the long run. Finally improving our damn public transportation is something sorely needed.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah, this will only benefit us in the long run. Finally improving our damn public transportation is something sorely needed.

Already happening. No Olympics needed.

All the Olympics will do is force the city to spend insane amounts of money on shit that ISN'T that.

Maximus.

Make LA a bigger shithole than it already is by wasting money on an international pissing contest. Great! The Olympics need to be reformed or abolished completely.

It doesn't have to be abolished. That isn't fair to all the athletes who compete. It should be reformed, where it doesn't cost such a sick amount of money to host and create such large waste.

Apzu

The idea of doing the Olympics in the same place everytime is actually very good, but every country would have to chip in. The problem is that a lot of countries wouldn't want to fund another country fearing corruption, so for this idea to go forward it would probably need to be in an isolated island.

US tourism suffered a bit during the Iraq war, but it still wasn't THAT bad. The events will still fill up, and it's not like Americans won't attend. We haven't had a summer Olympics for a while and people will be fairly eager to go. I'm definitely going if LA gets it.

Also, I would hope people are smart enough to realize that LA in no way represents Trump or his shitty-ass voters. It's an overwhelmingly liberal city. The games aren't being held in the middle of nowhere where people with protozoan levels of intelligence bitch and moan about foreigners they've never met.

And besides, is France REALLY that much better? The rise of Le Pen and the growing anti-immigrant sentiment there suggests no.
LA is a liberal city, but it's not an island with full control of how people can get there. Unless you're a citizen from western europe, Canada, Australia and Japan you need a visa to get to any US city and Trump is the one responsible for visa's policy, in theory he could even end the visa waiver program and europeans would also need visas to go to LA. And, sure, Le Pen could try something like that, but I think she would have to get out of EU first to get anywhere near what Trump can already do and has partially already done.

Ecotic

I have a really fond childhood memory of watching the Olympic torch runner coming through town as a kid for the '96 games in Atlanta. Coca-Cola handed out fans for everyone to cool down and people were exchanging collectable lapel pins. It was a very prideful event as a Georgian and American. I'd love for Los Angeles to host the games again.

The Argus

Weren't the LA Olympics profitable? City is built for crowds, stadiums are there (or already planned for professional teams). I really wouldn't mind the Olympics returning to the US.

OmegaFax

I have a really fond childhood memory of watching the Olympic torch runner coming through town as a kid for the '96 games in Atlanta. Coca-Cola handed out fans for everyone to cool down and people were exchanging collectable lapel pins. It was a very prideful event as a Georgian and American. I'd love for Los Angeles to host the games again.

I still think I have one of those fans. The torch route went through our town. Quite a big deal for a small town. Lot of fun.

I hope it doesn't go to LA, traffic is bad enough as it is. But then again, there's that small chance that I meet and fall in love with a sexy olympian so eh, sure why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom