• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm Demo Impressions | Up on XBL | [Update: PC Demo Soon]

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Awful characters, somewhat akward controls and boring gameplay. Not the best demo I've played in my life. Might be fun when playing DM online though.

Lupin3 said:
Awful characters, somewhat akward controls and boring gameplay. Not the best demo I've played in my life. Might be fun when playing DM online though.
If by DM you mean death match, there is none.

Played a second time, Wow thuis gamedemo sucked more ass than the first time I played it:

The graphics look like ass, Unreal Tournament 2006? The dolls are dolls, no weight, where are the physics? I kick you than you float away in slow motion so I can aim and shoot you in the balls. WTF is this shit.

The Gameplay is broken, the lasso and kick are way too powerfull I did better kickin; and pullin', slidin' through the demo level than shooting, what is this: a proper shooter or trying to outdo God of WarIII first person crap shitfest?

WTF is wrong with the AI. Wtf is wrong this game s going to score in the 75-6.0 mark and people are going to buy this shit. CRAP.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Omotesando said:
Shit post.

I think you're completely missing the point of the game/demo. It's score attack. Kicking the person away and time slowing down ON CONSOLES is so the PLAYER can LINE UP SHOTS to get SCORE.

AMAZING CONCEPT, I KNOW.

Lunchbox

Banned
Omotesando said:
Played a second time, Wow thuis gamedemo sucked more ass than the first time I played it:

The graphics look like ass, Unreal Tournament 2006? The dolls are dolls, no weight, where are the physics? I kick you than you float away in slow motion so I can aim and shoot you in the balls. WTF is this shit.

The Gameplay is broken, the lasso and kick are way too powerfull I did better kickin; and pullin', slidin' through the demo level than shooting, what is this: a proper shooter or trying to outdo God of WarIII first person crap shitfest?

WTF is wrong with the AI. Wtf is wrong this game s going to score in the 75-6.0 mark and people are going to buy this shit. CRAP.
is this english?

Great demo. Definitely felt like it found a balance between intensity and visibility that other shooters (Call of Duty) fail at. Love the speed as well.

Projectjustice said:
I really felt over powered with that Lash attack. Seems fun but I couldnt care less for points. Game isnt for me.

It is about scoring points, not about cleaning up the level, a gimmick when developers know their game is built without vision.

Spookie

Omotesando said:
what is this: a proper shooter or trying to outdo God of WarIII first person crap shitfest?

God of War 3? Where did that frame of reference come from?

As TheSeks said, this game has gone completely over your head.

Spookie said:
God of War 3? Where did that frame of reference come from?

As TheSeks said, this game has gone completely over your head.

A gimmicky scene when you kill Zeus in first person. 'Fun' for a moment, yea just like Bulletstorm.

Hellcrow

Fun to see how many people misunderstand almost everything about this game. Echo mode is all about the points. Don't know about the campaign.

kylej

Banned
Visual style is the biggest offender for me. Oooh lots of collapsed buildings and debris everywhere with big muscular guys running around grunting. Try again Epic.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Hellcrow said:
Fun to see how many people misunderstand almost everything about this game. Echo mode is all about the points. Don't know about the campaign.

POINTS IS STUPID. It should be about killing people by shooting them in the head and THAT'S ALL. Everything else SUCKS.

God I loved this demo. Even though I find the dicktits complaints entirely valid, the gameplay itself is absurdly fun. I don't have a problem turning off subtitles and listening to something else while I play. I am definitely interested after playing, something that I couldn't say after watching one or two videos to this point.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm really shocked at how negative the response has been around here.

We have plenty of traditional shooters already. Mixing things up with something a bit different is a GOOD thing.

Zeliard

dark10x said:
I'm really shocked at how negative the response has been around here.

We have plenty of traditional shooters already. Mixing things up with something a bit different is a GOOD thing.

But someone said dicktits, man. Dicktits. I don't need that sort of language when I'm lassoing people like horses and shooting them in the face.

Are there any videos of really good 3-star runs through the demo? Best I've done is around 6,000 points. Really starting to get interested in seeing what combos I can pull off. Would like to see what others have done as well. Whether it be crazy runs through the demo as a whole, or just single crazy string combos, etc.

Amir0x

Banned
The dialogue and over-the-top humour is really forced but the gunplay itself is supremely fun. I like how much it encourages lateral thinking and combo play. Game looks amazing too for a 360 title.

This seems like it's gonna be good fun.

ToyMachine228 said:
Are there any videos of really good 3-star runs through the demo? Best I've done is around 6,000 points.

Somebody posted a 14,000 point run.

Zeliard said:
I'm lassoing people like horses and shooting them in the face.

This is the point here. I'm pretty surprised that so many people are so taken aback by the language that they're completely ignoring the crazy skillshots and combos that you can pull off which are really the whole draw of the game. It's the gameplay. The skillshots. That is what Bulletstorm is about. The "flavor" of the game obviously isn't for everyone, but if you like crazy shooters, this game should be for you.

Jhoan

I loved it despite it having a couple of bugs such as sliding outside the game's border while going through the electric wires and freezes here and there which I hope gets fixed in the retail edition.

It feels good being number one in my friends list and I went from 6890 to 9380 yesterday, so now I think I'm rank 17180 or something like that. It's extremely fun trying to think of different ways to kill enemies; it's kind of like a first person action game with guns and I don't mind the immature humor and Steve Blum's Jack/Zegram (from Mad World and Rogue Galaxy respectively) voice despite it being over used. I always find new ways to take out enemies on every susequent re-run so that's always great. My favorite weapon is definitely the Flail Gun; great weapon, extremely fun to use. My only other complaint is that I wish there would have been an option to skip the video at the end of the demo and that hit box for the crotch shot seems to be extremely small so it's hard to pull off. It's definitely not a mindless shooter as it does require thinking of ways to dispatch enemies and the Leash plus the slam is awesome for that.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Archaix said:
POINTS IS STUPID. It should be about killing people by shooting them in the head and THAT'S ALL. Everything else SUCKS.

I concur! Where's my cover system bitches.

pakkit

Banned
kylej said:
Visual style is the biggest offender for me. Oooh lots of collapsed buildings and debris everywhere with big muscular guys running around grunting. Try again Epic.
Different from Halo Reach how, jelyk? I really like the environmental design (similarly to Halo, and of course those gorgeous skyboxes). But the character designs in both games are the same stereotypical meathead, overly buff characters that plague so many shooters.

Oh, and then there's Kat.

That said, seeing People Can Fly so thoroughly emulate Gears is kind of disappointing.

Zeliard

ToyMachine228 said:
This is the point here. I'm pretty surprised that so many people are so taken aback by the language that they're completely ignoring the crazy skillshots and combos that you can pull off which are really the whole draw of the game. It's the gameplay. The skillshots. That is what Bulletstorm is about. The "flavor" of the game obviously isn't for everyone, but if you like crazy shooters, this game should be for you.

It's particularly rare to get a game of this sort. It's basically a leaderboard shooter, or at least this specific mode is. I haven't played the demo yet, because I'm waiting for the PC to either get one or for the game to just come out, but this Bulletstorm mode looks like a much better version of The Club.

I'm not sure how the points system will figure into the campaign.

subversus

Zeliard said:
I'm not sure how the points system will figure into the campaign.

Weapon upgrades.

By the way I hear rumours that PC version will require constant internet connection. Might be bullshit though, I must verify.

subversus

A false alarm on Bulletstorm PC DRM. Only digital version of the game will require "persistent internet connection".

I'm surprised at how judgmental some of you are being. You're complaining about the game having too many collapsed buildings? It's a 10-minute demo in a level called COLLAPSED BUILDING. What do you expect? The entire game isn't going to take place in collapsed buildings, as you seem to be portraying it.

kylej

Banned
pakkit said:
Different from Halo Reach how, jelyk? I really like the environmental design (similarly to Halo, and of course those gorgeous skyboxes). But the character designs in both games are the same stereotypical meathead, overly buff characters that plague so many shooters.

Oh, and then there's Kat.

You've picked the wrong person to defend Bungie's writing and design.

grandpasimpsonwalkingout.gif

Wow, I hadn't bothered looking at this thread until today and it's terrifying how many people not only completely missed the point of this game but didn't even stop to consider that maybe they should try playing differently to see if it was more fun.

It's thrilling to see Epic try a completely mechanics focused game in the style of Japanese titles like Vanquish or Bayonetta (as recent examples) where everything else is secondary and the point of the game is to refine your grasp of a deep set of core mechanics resulting in high replayability with the reward of skyrocketting score and the ability to completely toy with otherwise imposing enemies for your own enjoyment.

I'm not totally sold yet, mainly as this just doesn't really work as a console game due to the speed of response and accuracy to play well not really possible with a joypad, but I can see this being a fantastic and novel title on PC.

Going by the space shuttle extent the concept has flown over so many people's heads though, it looks like it'll bomb and we'll get more "excellent" FPS titles like Killzone 2 instead!

kylej

Banned
Strummerjones said:
grandpasimpsonwalkingout.gif

Wow, I hadn't bothered looking at this thread until today and it's terrifying how many people not only completely missed the point of this game but didn't even stop to consider that maybe they should try playing differently to see if it was more fun.

I love how you think people who don't enjoy the game don't "get it". This isn't Finnegan's Wake, it's Gears with a basic combo system on top. The Club did the same shooting/combo thing and I didn't like it there either.

subversus

kylej said:
I love how you think people who don't enjoy the game don't "get it". This isn't Finnegan's Wake, it's Gears with a basic combo system on top. The Club did the same shooting/combo thing and I didn't like it there either.

oh my.... you guys suck are so wrong that it's not funny anymore. How the fuck a fast-paced shooter with no cover system could be "Gears"? TELL ME DAMMIT! I want to see how your logic works.

Dabanton

Well i'm glad were losing so many of these guys at least they'll keep out of the official thread seeing as this is looking like a no buy for them.

Lupin3

Neuromancer said:
If by DM you mean death match, there is none.

There's not? (I need to read up on stuff like this :S)

Wow, bummer! Then why should I ever care about this game at all then? :(

RedStep

kylej said:

A) It has nothing to do with Gears, but The Club is a decent comparison.

B) There's a difference between saying "this isn't for me" and going online to post a rant, the content of which betrays that you probably don't "get it". It's about the same as posting a rant about how thin Schwarzenegger's characterization is in Commando.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
kylej said:

Finnegans Wake.

And I hated this demo. I don't understand why they showed me a video of how to play and didn't give me a quick in-game demo. I got into the game and slid into someone and then grabbed someone with my whip and then shot them in the face. And then I was kind of out of stuff to do. I didn't really know what else to do.

subversus

lol

Adrian Chmielarz
adrianchm Adrian Chmielarz
Fucking Internets... No, Bulletstorm PC does not require any constant connection, only for install and for online play (duh!).

Cliff Bleszinski
therealcliffyb Cliff Bleszinski
FYI setting DRM policies is *not* one of my job duties. I do read all of your comments here on the subject, however.
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
»
adrianchm Adrian Chmielarz
We're investigating wtf happened. Persons responsible will be set on fire and shot in the balls for extra points.
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Shurs

This won't be a Day One purchase for me, but I appreciate it, nonetheless.

I love the idea behind Echo-Mode, I just wish it had a different wrapper than the Dude-Bro thing this game has going on. Yes, I know that's what PCF were going for, and with that in mind, if I were writing a review for the game, I wouldn't hold its tone against it. That said, it's not for me. At least not at $60.

The nice thing about the game is, with something like Echo Mode, I can pick it up at a much later date and still have fun going up against the scores of people on my Friends List.

Lupin3

Shurs said:
The nice thing about the game is, with something like Echo Mode, I can pick it up at a much later date and still have fun going up against the scores of people on my Friends List.

True that!
I might get it when it's on sale.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Just redeemed a 12 months Live Gold code for this demo and Crysis 2.

Bulletstorm is crap, and Crysis 2 a lag-fest. Fuck my life.

Aske

Y2Kev said:
I got into the game and slid into someone and then grabbed someone with my whip and then shot them in the face. And then I was kind of out of stuff to do. I didn't really know what else to do.

Here are some ideas:

1) Press R2 (right bumper?) before firing your weapon. Secondary fire modes are awesome. Carbine has an overpowered shot that fries everything in its path; magnum becomes a flare gun; flail gun fires razor wire.

2) Be sure to equip all three weapons besides the whip at the start if the game. Use the D-pad to switch between your carbine, magnum and flail gun.

3) Hold the whip trigger down to slam dudes into the ground and up in the air. Do this in enclosed spaces.

4) Kick people into sharp objects.

5) Hit the run button while running to slide kick, Vanquish style.

Once you've mastered the basics, start mixing things up.

- Wrap a dude up in a grenade flail and then wait till his buddies rush in close to you. Then reel him in and hit your trigger when he slams into them to blow them all to pieces. Or shoot a guy close to you, then kick him into his buddies before blowing him up.

- Ready a flare shot in your magnum, lasso a guy and hold the button to slam him, then nail him with a flare while he's airborne to send him into the stratosphere.

- Shoot grenades at walls, kick dudes at them. Works well if you set a trap, then slide past an enemy and kick him back into it.

- Use the whip-slam at the elevator section, and combine this with a flail grenade shot into the ceiling. I've also seen flares shot into the ceiling at this point for the 'Afterburner' skill shot.

- Watch the video of the 21000 point run posted above. I've played the demo a ton, and I've never experienced that green mist thing that gives the guy toxic bonuses after he kills the green war paint berserker guys. Thinking of which, look out for the bottle of booze after the ammo refill, and get more points for killing while drunk. There's a lot to do with these combat mechanics besides shoot, lasso and kick.

I've played the demo a few times and I'm still on the fence. I guess for me it'll be an impulse purchase if I have the funds once I've picked up Killzone 3.

Aske said:
I've played the demo a ton, and I've never experienced that green mist thing that gives the guy toxic bonuses after he kills the green war paint berserker guys.

The green guys give off a poison cloud when you get a headshot on them. It can poison enemies around them or you if you're close enough. Thats where the toxic bonus comes from. Theres an antidote bonus too but I'm not sure what causes that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
kylej said:

I guess you missed the reveal videos showing a bunch of foliage, and the fact this is one of the more colorful FPS games released in awhile?

Omotesando said:
It is about scoring points, not about cleaning up the level, a gimmick when developers know their game is built without vision.

Uhh, that IS the vision. Create a first person shooter that instead of just mindlessly running shooting standard enemies in the face, you're trying to get the most points out of each individual. It's a breath of fresh air from another CoD clone.

Omotesando said:

You might not like the style, but the graphics looks great here. The leash has crazy priorities to make it work with the gameplay, other than that there's little more you need to know aside from realizing that when you kick someone they fly in that direction, kinda simple.

The tutorial pointed out that these were basic grunts and that the entire game won't be like that. For demo purpose it's pretty obvious that they'd want to show off a level where the enemies barely resist so you can have free reign to mess with combos instead of being unable to leash half the enemies. And no, this isn't a "proper shooter", and that's the best thing about it. I'm not sure why you mentioned GoW, though I do find it funny you have an avatar over a game that promotes style over substance oh so much.

The AI was due to the fact these were extremely basic enemies, once again. I'm not really expecting amazing AI in this game anyway, it's not meant to be a game where you're about to die constantly.

Top Bottom