• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm Demo Impressions | Up on XBL | [Update: PC Demo Soon]

Dave Long

Banned
I've only read one page, but I can already tell this is like People Can Fly releasing Painkiller all over again. Gmrs R Dum.

Also it's Dick-Tits with a hyphen, assnozzles.

Is it just me, or do the people who don't get it just not have a creative bone in their body outside of "shoot guy in the face"? It's like Dave said, it's Painkiller all over again where a whole group of people just see the weapons and the brain-dead enemies and think there's nothing to the game, completely missing the forest for the trees.

Too bad that PC DRM's preventing me from buying this. :\

I AM JOHN! said:
Is it just me, or do the people who don't get it just not have a creative bone in their body outside of "shoot guy in the face"? It's like Dave said, it's Painkiller all over again where a whole group of people just see the weapons and the brain-dead enemies and think there's nothing to the game, completely missing the forest for the trees.

Yeah I don't know. Personally a big part ofthe appeal of the game for me is experimenting and figuring out cool things to do. If there was a tutorial that explicitly showed you everything you could do, that would be kind of a bummer.

Nabs

I AM JOHN! said:

whats wrong with the drm

Nabs

I AM JOHN! said:
Unless they've changed it, it's the Ubisoft-style "you need to always be online when you play this" DRM. I refuse to support that shit.
that was a mistake

Nabs said:
that was a mistake
Have they confirmed what it actually is, or has it now just gone to being an unknown quantity aside from "no it's not that"? I don't want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Messi

ToyMachine228 said:
The more I think about this game and the combos etc, the more I want to play the demo, and more I look forward to the full game.

Didn't care for it at first but found myself thinking about combos after that might work and I tried it a few more times and now I love it.

Aske

Messi said:
You played single player? This is echo mode. Not single player.

Exactly. Anyone criticizing the game on that score needs to understand that it's the same as saying RE4's gameplay is repetitive and boring after playing one demo round of Mercenaries.

Barrett2

Riding the train this morning, I keep thinking that I want to go back and play the demo a few more times. That rarely happens for me with demos. I think there might be something to this game. Eff it, day 1.

Is one console version supposed to be significantly better than the other?

.la1n

lawblob said:
Riding the train this morning, I keep thinking that I want to go back and play the demo a few more times. That rarely happens for me with demos. I think there might be something to this game. Eff it, day 1.

Is one console version supposed to be significantly better than the other?

As far as *I* could tell they were nearly identical on both the 360 and PS3. I am gaming on a 32" Samsung 720p TV so everyone else's mileage may vary I suppose.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
dork said:
Thought this was kind of boring, good rental but all in all the singleplayer seems a little meh

Are you from the future? I did not know the game was out yet. I cannot wait to try out the single player after trying the echo mode demo.

PC day one for moi.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I AM JOHN! said:

They may not care all that much to be honest. Epic knows this. Why do you think they played it smart by throwing the Gears 3 beta invite in with the 360 version of the game?

This is a fun score attack game, but a score attack game is what it is. It's not high on people's priorities when it comes to games in 2011. =/

Dave Long

Banned
I'd be the first to say it's a sign of the times, but people didn't want scores when The Club came out either. And when Painkiller shipped, it was "the AI is so dumb!" Yeah, that's kinda the point. There are a whole lot of them.

And yet Painkiller had more creativity that 95% of what comes out in the first-person shooter genre. Same with The Club as far as I'm concerned.

I guess my question to these folks is what is it you want from first-person shooters? Halo and Call of Duty in different clothing over and over again? That seems to be covered pretty well by plenty of other games. /crying baby mode on "Waaaaahhhhh! This game isn't like the others! WAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!" /cbmoff

Gamers, especially those who call themselves "hardcore", can be so boring. I'm glad People Can Fly is around to shove a foot up their ass.

Also, bosses. Glorious bosses. I expect nothing less than towering ten story behemoths to bring down.

Papercuts said:
I guess you missed the reveal videos showing a bunch of foliage, and the fact this is one of the more colorful FPS games released in awhile?

Uhh, that IS the vision. Create a first person shooter that instead of just mindlessly running shooting standard enemies in the face, you're trying to get the most points out of each individual. It's a breath of fresh air from another CoD clone.

You might not like the style, but the graphics looks great here. The leash has crazy priorities to make it work with the gameplay, other than that there's little more you need to know aside from realizing that when you kick someone they fly in that direction, kinda simple.

The tutorial pointed out that these were basic grunts and that the entire game won't be like that. For demo purpose it's pretty obvious that they'd want to show off a level where the enemies barely resist so you can have free reign to mess with combos instead of being unable to leash half the enemies. And no, this isn't a "proper shooter", and that's the best thing about it. I'm not sure why you mentioned GoW, though I do find it funny you have an avatar over a game that promotes style over substance oh so much.

The AI was due to the fact these were extremely basic enemies, once again. I'm not really expecting amazing AI in this game anyway, it's not meant to be a game where you're about to die constantly.

Good gameplay is built around deep gunplay, great fear inducing AI, context sensitive hit detection, brutal weighty, but brisk animation, fear inducing enemy design, memorable level design, great innovations that don't feel like a gimmick. I see nothing of these in Bulletstorm. People that like Bulletstorm, judging from this thread seems to value that last aspect, as it breathes a fresh air into the genre. Well if you don;t value the rest I can see the 'fun' of popped up combo's and points on screen as much as the next Bulletstorm fanboi. Yea, i do get it.

The IQ on consoles looks like someone took the game and jammed it into a paper shredder, the IQ takes us back to the beginning of this generation. There is nothing that can be said about the graphics, except that it's pretty much....mediocre and soulless.

I am not on of the 'dick tits' crowd.

Dave Long

Banned
Omotesando said:
Good gameplay is built around deep gunplay, great fear inducing AI, context sensitive hit detection, brutal weighty, but brisk animation, fear inducing enemy design, memorable level design, great innovations that don't feel like a gimmick. I see nothing of these in Bulletstorm. People that like Bulletstorm, judging from this thread seems to value that last aspect, as it breathes a fresh air into the genre. Well if you don;t value the rest I can see the 'fun' of popped up combo's and points on screen as much as the next Bulletstorm fanboi. Yea, i do get it.

The IQ on consoles looks like someone took the game and jammed it into a paper shredder, the IQ takes us back to the beginning of this generation. There is nothing that can be said about the graphics, except that it's pretty much....mediocre and soulless.

Dude, just face it, you don't understand this game and want something completely different. There are at least sixteen hundred threads on this board about games you would probably enjoy. Try one of those.

Good gameplay is built out of whatever makes you personally enjoy it. Your distorted belief that what you want is what everyone should like is the problem here, not this game.

Omotesando said:

^ Bullshitstorm.

Look, its cool if you don't like it but please fuck off with the not so subtle insults to people that do. You may not be one of the dick tits crowd but you're making a good case for being one of the dickhead crowd.

I could make equally insulting claims about people that like God of War because of its basic combat but I have the intelligence to realise that theres room for different types of game in the same genre. Why can't you see that also applies to Bulletstorm? Fear inducing ai and enemy design (whatever that means) wouldn't really be appropriate here. And there is context sensitive hit detection in Bulletstorm ffs. Your comments about IQ and graphics are pure bullshit as well.

CecilRousso said:
The graphical design of HL2: Episode Two, with the gameplay of Crysis. That would satisfy me.

Nothing wrong with wanting that. There is plenty wrong with wanting that from Bulletstorm though.

Dave Long said:
Dude, just face it, you don't understand this game and want something completely different. There are at least sixteen hundred threads on this board about games you would probably enjoy. Try one of those.

Good gameplay is built out of whatever makes you personally enjoy it. Your distorted belief that what you want is what everyone should like is the problem here, not this game.
Indeed. The worst thing about some of that is that it feels like some people are trying to slight others based upon their favorable opinions of games like this...the whole lame-ass dudebro shit where no one can enjoy silly stupid games that are still fun and challenging without being labeled a mouth-breathing moron. There are tons of games to choose from and it's nice to have choice in what makes you happy to put your money on.

Dave Long said:

I enjoy this thread, because people like give Meat Head boy tell people to fuck off, while this is an Demo impression thread and not a Bulletstorm fellatio thread.

I said fuck off with the insults, not your impressions. But then given the quality of your impressions you're probably better off sticking with the insults.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Still Gameflying this

Wanna see how far, deep or fun the combos go. Not lookin forward to the forced corny comedy though.

Air Zombie Meat said:
I said fuck off with the insults, not your impressions. But then given the quality of your impressions you're probably better off sticking with the insults.

You mad? Just ignore it, people have different taste. Don't get mad, because I don't like Bulletstorm. Get back to the Dick-Tits crowd if those impressions are more worthy of this thread.

You like Bulletstorm.

Good, I guess.

Omotesando said:
Good gameplay is built around deep gunplay, great fear inducing AI, context sensitive hit detection, brutal weighty, but brisk animation, fear inducing enemy design, memorable level design, great innovations that don't feel like a gimmick.
This is maybe the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Great fear inducing AI and enemy design? WTF

Aske

Omotesando said:
Good gameplay is built around deep gunplay, great fear inducing AI, context sensitive hit detection, brutal weighty, but brisk animation, fear inducing enemy design, memorable level design, great innovations that don't feel like a gimmick

I have a piece of bacon stuck in my gum.

Kintaro said:
They may not care all that much to be honest. Epic knows this. Why do you think they played it smart by throwing the Gears 3 beta invite in with the 360 version of the game?

This is a fun score attack game, but a score attack game is what it is. It's not high on people's priorities when it comes to games in 2011. =/
"Get it" in the sense that they don't understand the appeal, not "get it" in the sense that they don't buy it. Like, say for example:

Omotesando said:

Every single thing you've listed is completely arbitrary, and the fact that you're saying that Bulletstorm has no depth or "good gameplay" means that you're completely missing the point of the game, which is that every level is a playground and it's about using the ridiculous weapons, environmental hazards and your moveset to get the most points possible out of every single enemy. Yes, if all you want is a Killzone-style need to hide behind something otherwise the SCARY MAN WITH THE HELMET IS GOING TO SHOOT ME IN THE FACE and your creativity extends to "melee kick a guy and shoot him in the head until he dies," then there's a good chance you're not going to like it unless the AI gets really smart in the story mode (which, knowing Painkiller, is really not likely). However, if you can tell me after playing the demo and seeing everything going on in the environment that you cannot think of the creative appeal of leashing a guy hiding behind cover over to you, kicking him into a group of guys, hitting him with the explosive flail while he's slow-moing through the air and having him blow up the group, knocking some of those guys into the hanging electrical wires on the wall and racking up a ton of points for this, then I repeat: you do not have a creative bone in your body.

I AM JOHN! said:
"Get it" in the sense that they don't understand the appeal, not "get it" in the sense that they don't buy it. Like, say for example:

Every single thing you've listed is completely arbitrary, and the fact that you're saying that Bulletstorm has no depth or "good gameplay" means that you're completely missing the point of the game, which is that every level is a playground and it's about using the ridiculous weapons, environmental hazards and your moveset to get the most points possible out of every single enemy. Yes, if all you want is a Killzone-style need to hide behind something otherwise the SCARY MAN WITH THE HELMET IS GOING TO SHOOT ME IN THE FACE and your creativity extends to "melee kick a guy and shoot him in the head until he dies," then there's a good chance you're not going to like it unless the AI gets really smart in the story mode (which, knowing Painkiller, is really not likely). However, if you can tell me after playing the demo and seeing everything going on in the environment that you cannot think of the creative appeal of leashing a guy hiding behind cover over to you, kicking him into a group of guys, hitting him with the explosive flail while he's slow-moing through the air and having him blow up the group, knocking some of those guys into the hanging electrical wires on the wall and racking up a ton of points for this, then I repeat: you do not have a creative bone in your body.

Kicking him into a group of guys and the consequences it has to me feels rather empty because the lack of anything substantial in terms of sandbox esque physics and the 'coming out of nowhere' stuff really depletes when the camera automatically zooms and targets the guy I actually never wanted to shoot, push the kick button and he magically penetrates some spikes. But hey, you feel the magic? Good, some guy at Epic really got a boner from your post.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
bistromathics said:
Can you guys take a timeout and tell me what the word is on the PC demo? Is there supposed to be one?

Mark Rein is "pushing" for one.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Omotesando said:
Kicking him into a group of guys and the consequences it has to me feels rather empty because the lack of anything substantial in terms of sandbox esque physics and the 'coming out of nowhere' stuff really depletes when the camera automatically zooms and targets the guy I actually never wanted to shoot, push the kick button and he magically penetrates some spikes. But hey, you feel the magic? Good, some guy at Epic really got a boner from your post.

Is there a list of all the different names for combos and attacks and kills? How long would that list have to be for you to understand where the defense force is coming from?

subversus

Omotesando said:

do you like Crysis?

The Lash is awesome man, I can pull people through stones, walls, and the distance equation? well fuck that my magic lasso is better than Rambo's bow. I never have to seriously target, it's basically spam, but hey, it really is about how you're being creative and such.

subversus

webrunner said:
Makes me think

Imagine if they made Bulletstorm with the Euphoria character physics engine?

whyyyyyy?

Bulletstorm doesn't need physics. and AI. And fear-inducing level design lol.

Snowman

Omotesando said:
The Lash is awesome man, I can pull people through stones, walls, and the distance equation? well fuck that my magic lasso is better than Rambo's bow. I never have to seriously target, it's basically spam, but hey, it really is about how you're being creative and such.

Sacrificing realism for the sake of fun gameplay isn't always a bad thing. If you don't understand that, then clearly Bulletstorm isn't for you, but that doesn't give you the right to insult people who do enjoy that kind of game.

Snowman said:
Sacrificing realism for the sake of fun gameplay isn't always a bad thing. If you don't understand that, then clearly Bulletstorm isn't for you, but that doesn't give you the right to insult people who do enjoy that kind of game.

I am not advocating realism, I am advocating hit detection, physics and the general stuff that differentiates a classic from one that's in the budget bin after 2 months.

Guy could richochet from the far side of the level and back for all I care, if only it wouldn't be accompanied by lazy game development.

Aske

Omotesando said:

In the full game, there are enemies who can't be lassoed.

This. Is. A. Score. Attack. Demo.

I love hit detection. I hate when games can't detect my hits.

Edit: Moving forward, I am just going to assume Omotesando is an ingenious troll. If you read his posts in that context they're actually pretty awesome.

Top Bottom