• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm Demo Impressions | Up on XBL | [Update: PC Demo Soon]

Dave Long

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Edit: Moving forward, I am just going to assume Omotesando is an ingenious troll. If you read his posts in that context they're actually pretty awesome.
I finally put it on ignore. Second poster on the list in nearly seven years of posting here, and the first one was because of an avatar I can't stand to look at.

On topic, I'm at a loss for how to get scores that approach the highest on the leaderboard. I know I could watch a YouTube video for ideas, but it's really entertaining looking for ways to get a higher score. And this is just a one level demo! I commend them for putting a leaderboard in the demo, though. Really cool.

Also, the co-op stuff looks really neat. Setting up kicked dudes so your buddies can take them out, etc. Nice.

Tycho from Penny Arcade is a fan.

You have to be really careful about when your demo releases, because if it releases on the same day as the Bulletstorm demo, you are screwed.

Bulletstorm is not a statement so much as a set of parenthesis within which you may speak, in the guttural dialect of the aggressor. There's not a whole lot of demo there, but it's enough; everything is dipped in some ridiculous context, conferring a tang I may not like entirely, but if you have ever wondered what it would be like to play a version of Tony Hawk where you skate around on a gun and the ramps are made of enemy flesh, well, here you go.

Didn't think I would like this at all, but I am finding myself repeating the demo over and over to get a better score and more insane kills. It's a fun and addictive game for sure. Plays very nicely too.

Having played on both 360 and PS3 I would say 360 definitely has a slight edge in framerate and looks. It looks like its a slightly higher resolution too; its a little blurrier on triple. 30fps on both (I am sure they said it would be 60?). Not sure if I'll buy at launch yet, so many on the pile already.

Teknoman

Kintaro said:
They may not care all that much to be honest. Epic knows this. Why do you think they played it smart by throwing the Gears 3 beta invite in with the 360 version of the game?

This is a fun score attack game, but a score attack game is what it is. It's not high on people's priorities when it comes to games in 2011. =/

I think the single player is supposed to focus on alot more than just score. The demo was pretty much the echo score attack mode, but sp is focused more on stage progression like normal.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just played the demo on PS3 last night. I was impressed with the visuals and performance, and there's some really excellent texture work going on (although the green enemies look kinda ridiculous up close). The controls felt tight and accurate, exactly what I need to have fun with a shooter on a console. I skipped all the dialogue scenes so I'm not sure to what degree the terrible/stupid/unfunny writing is present in the demo but the game was enough fun that I'll certainly give it a try despite any dicktits or puckered assholes that may come up.

Teknoman

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Just played the demo on PS3 last night. I was impressed with the visuals and performance, and there's some really excellent texture work going on (although the green enemies look kinda ridiculous up close). The controls felt tight and accurate, exactly what I need to have fun with a shooter on a console. I skipped all the dialogue scenes so I'm not sure to what degree the terrible/stupid/unfunny writing is present in the demo but the game was enough fun that I'll certainly give it a try despite any dicktits or puckered assholes that may come up.

That stuff will most likely only pop up in the demo. The ingame scenes they showed did have liberal use of fuck and whatnot, but really nothing too bad.

Well decided to give the demo another shot and got almost 9k score, so definitely kind of getting used to how it plays. Still the load time kinda sucks and I would vastly prefer to play this on PC.

Barrett2

Ok, this demo is starting to click with me. Just got 7,500 points, want to keep playing to increase my score.

Any deals on this, or should I just pre-order on Amazon?

Dave Long

Banned
There's a game in that zip file. Absolutely worth your time and bandwidth if you're interested in Bulletstorm... or probably even if you're not. :)

Barrett2

FYI: Order this on Amazon and get $10 Amazon bucks.

$10 Bonus with Pre-Order Upgrade Offer
Pre-order Bulletstorm for PS3 and get a $10 promotional credit toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (certain exclusions apply, including Kindle books, MP3s, and video rentals and downloads). Also, receive a free upgrade to Bulletstorm - Limited Edition, which contains the full version of Bulletstorm plus the Deadly Peace Maker Carbine, additional boots and armor, 25,000 experience points, and visual upgrades for the iconic leash. The promotional credit will be added directly to your Amazon.com account within two days after your order ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.

Going to run through the Bulletstorm demo another time or two this weekend. Looking forward to pulling off some crazy skill shots! Anyone want to post some vids for me to show me some stuff I haven't seen yet?

1176710806_BVGmC-L.jpg

Hehe

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well, I tried out the demo for no reason. I generally don't like FPS games except the Valve ones but I have to admit, the demo was fun and I enjoyed kicking people.

Though the dialogue... I'd prefer to listen to Star Ocean 4's dialogue than Bulletstorm's dialogue.

This kicks so much ass. Shooter of the year*, for me at least. Got some solid old-school awesome going on here in a big way.

* Unless more more evidence surfaces that shows that Resistance 3 is indeed a proper sequel to Resistance, or that Brink is as awesome as it should be.

Wow. Who knew Epic games could make bulging bloody bullet sponges?? Seriously though, people actually find shooting a whole clip into someone before they die fun? Oh and the graphics arent good either. Definitely not a game for me.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
bobs99 ... said:
The game doesn't seem like its really that versatile when it comes to killing with style. Everything seems very predetermined to me. Depending on the weapon you use you pull off different skill shots.
Yeah, I didn't think the mechanics did justice to the concept. It didn't feel anything like a character action game and it was really hard to get into a state of flow. But I'm hoping that was partly due to the controls and my lack of experience with the title. I'll try it again on the PC when there's a demo or when the price goes down.

I get the nagging feeling that, janky as it was, Necrovision did this song and dance better.

Dabanton

TheExecutive said:
Wow. Who knew Epic games could make bulging bloody bullet sponges?? Seriously though, people actually find shooting a whole clip into someone before they die fun? Oh and the graphics arent good either. Definitely not a game for me.

This post has to be parody of the numbskulls who've been playing this demo like a normal FPS game.

Lunchbox

Banned
TheExecutive said:
people actually find shooting a whole clip into someone before they die fun?

if thats how you played it, im glad youre not gonna play the full game. the less your types in matchmaking the better

Tain

I really don't know what I think of this as a game to play for score. Not very highly, as of right now. I just hope that the higher difficulties are fast, challenging, and bloody.

JRW

Tried PS3 demo and wasnt overly impressed with the performance (seems to run around 25'ish FPS) ill have to try it on 360.

JimiNutz

Banned
Played through the demo today.
Found it all very repetitive.

I understand that this game is about trick-shots and combos - are there any good tutorial videos showing off some of the stuff you can do?
So far I've just been doing the usual whip, kick, shoot type stuff which is fun at first but quickly grows stale. I'm sure there must be more to it than this?

I really want to like this because I want to be able to justify purchasing it for the Gears 3 beta.

S1kkZ

NutJobJim said:

I understand that this game is about trick-shots and combos - are there any good tutorial videos showing off some of the stuff you can do?
So far I've just been doing the usual whip, kick, shoot type stuff which is fun at first but quickly grows stale. I'm sure there must be more to it than this?

I really want to like this because I want to be able to justify purchasing it for the Gears 3 beta.
there is a tutorial video at the beginning of the demo (that most people seem to skip).

Lunchbox

Banned
NutJobJim said:

heres a walkthrough for 20k with the guy explaining what he's doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiBaO2J3zxg&feature=related

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I only just played the demo but I thought it was brilliant fun. A good weight to the combat, beautiful graphics, and an amusing MadWorld-esque style. If there's enough variety there I will gladly purchase the retail game.

Teknoman

mr stroke said:
Demo is very addicting, can't wait for the full release next week.

anyone doing an OT?

Was about to ask that. KZ3 already has it's OT up...so I think Bulletstorm should be good to go.

EDIT: From that straight up reviews video -

why thank you and you on keep loving me you sit in the house alday nerd gamer lol lol lol

Also whats with all the Gears comments? People just forget all about Unreal? Also that video is a great example of what the CoD iron sights mentality has done to people. You dont need to shoot people down the sights 24/7.

Double D

Just got around to playing it last night. Refreshing to play a shooter like this as opposed to the half dozen COD style games I played last year. Question, though, what's the campaign going to be like? Scoring and all that?

Teknoman

Vik_Vaughn said:
Just got around to playing it last night. Refreshing to play a shooter like this as opposed to the half dozen COD style games I played last year. Question, though, what's the campaign going to be like? Scoring and all that?

Less focus on scoring, more focus on harder enemies, mini bosses, and giant bosses.

Top Bottom