• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bumper crop of PSN PS1 Classics just ESRB rated (XENOGEARS, VAGRANT STORY & MORE!)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
And we got more:

23gycxy.jpg

Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV and Reel Fishing II

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Reel Fishing, seriously?

At least we're getting some classics instead of shitware like this like they were doing earlier last year. (Sup, Spec-Ops) :|

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Slightly OT but do you guys think I should make an ESRB Watch |OT|? Of course anyone can contribute.

V_Ben

Banned
teiresias said:
Doesn't this have some game-killing bug when the disc version is used with BC on a PS3? Do we know if it's been fixed in this or not?

They wouldn't release it on PSN if it had a bug as bad as that.

B.K.

teiresias said:
Doesn't this have some game-killing bug when the disc version is used with BC on a PS3?

Yeah. The game has a few game breaking bugs. It doesn't like to be emulated. There's one boss battle where it freezes almost every time the boss uses a certain attack. You can get buy it with luck. There are a couple other places where it randomly freezes.

You know it's great people will get to play Xenogears, but I have to echo what some other people said - give me fucking Suikoden II! It's one of the few games I've been hoping would be released on PSN when they revealed PS1 titles would be offered in the first place.

Fuck me raw, what do I have to do to play this game.

Magnus

If there is a god, some version of increased text scrolling or a lower encounter rate will be built into Xenogears.

Also, WTB SUIKODEN II.

I'd seriously buy it off the PSN for a ton more than $10.

YagizY

B.K. said:
Yeah. The game has a few game breaking bugs. It doesn't like to be emulated. There's one boss battle where it freezes almost every time the boss uses a certain attack. You can get buy it with luck. There are a couple other places where it randomly freezes.

So doesn't this mean that it'll probably be like that when it comes out on PSN? I mean aren't PS1 classics just emulated when you download them from PSN?

Magnus said:
If there is a god, some version of increased text scrolling or a lower encounter rate will be built into Xenogears.

Also, WTB SUIKODEN II.

I'd seriously buy it off the PSN for a ton more than $10.
Me too. I would pay at least $40 for Suikoden II.

Anyways, I may get Xenogears after I beat DQ6 DS. I have ~$20 in PSN credit to spare.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Can't wait to play Xenogears for my first time.

This.

Looking for an experience like I had when I played Chrono trigger for the first time when it came out for the DS. Will I be massively disappointed GAF?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
MikeE21286 said:
This.

Looking for an experience like I had when I played Chrono trigger for the first time when it came out for the DS. Will I be massively disappointed GAF?
I wouldn't expect quite that much from it.

Its flawed, simple RPG gameplay... but the storyline is rather unique, and hints as a backstory that spans very detailed eons of history. However the story, too, is flawed and unfinished (but that's FAR into the game when it drops the ball).

I love it, but no it's not as solid of an all around experience as CT.

I think you should give it a shot, though. Few things compare to CT... and Lucca has a cameo in the opening city sequence! It's a beloved classic to me.. but it has its issues.

BocoDragon said:

Its flawed, simple RPG gameplay... but the storyline is rather unique, and hints as a backstory that spans very detailed eons of history. However the story, too, is flawed and unfinished (but that's FAR into the game when it drops the ball).

I think you should give it a shot, though. Few things compare to CT... and Lucca has a cameo in the opening city sequence! It's a beloved classic to me.. but it has its issues.

Yeah, I'm definitely in. After hearing so much about it over the years it'd be a disservice to myself not to give it a shot. Especially since I can toss it on my PSP

BocoDragon said:

agreed (tho, surprisingly, i personally enjoyed it more than ct, which never really impressed me the way i anticipated it would). played it for the first time early last year, & my bottom line: when it's good (& it's often good), it's very good. but it's not consistently good, & a large part of the reason for that is that it's just waaay too over-ambitious, story-wise, &, to my mind, unnecessarily so - leaving out several plot elements (to be dealt with another time) would've made for a much tighter, & more satisfying, overall experience...

ps: oh, yeah - & the soundtrack is fantastic! :) ...

aceface

Xenogears is ok but it's sooo long and slow. It's not possible that they speeded up the text speed for this version, is it?

Ninja Scooter said:
if Sony keeps the PSone classics coming I may need to buy a PSPGo on the cheap.

That's exactly what I did a few weeks back. There's several PSP titles that have came out and were coming out that I wanted to get and I wanted to play these awesome PS1 titles on a small, portable screen.

If you can find one, GameStop has the PSP Go, used for $99, which is a great deal. Portable PSP with 16GB built in memory (which is really 14GB) and if you really want to, you can always hook it up to your television and play the Go with your DS3.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
aceface said:
Xenogears is ok but it's sooo long and slow. It's not possible that they speeded up the text speed for this version, is it?

I think this was my biggest gripe from what I remember. The text scrolling speed was so atrocious that it really ruined the game. It's like sitting in English class back in elementary and the teacher calls on the slow kid to read out loud. Horrible.

MechaX

B.K. said:

That's... strange. I went through Xenogears about two weeks ago on my PS3 Slim and it didn't freeze up a single time on that boss when he used that attack (and I had to replay that boss a lot to beat the "optional" boss right after that one).

legacyzero

Banned
So many great nostalgic feelings come from this announcement. Now all I think I'll need is Chrono Cross to complete my needed collection

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Buy Xenogears Tomorrow.

Spend rest of week getting Rock paper Scissor Badge

Spend next week playing the rest of the game.

aaaaaa

DrForester said:
Buy Xenogears Tomorrow.

Spend rest of week getting Rock paper Scissor Badge

Spend next week playing the rest of the game.

;)

(don't bother with the rock paper scissors, it doesn't give you anything useful)

Top Bottom