• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie are upsetting the fan base with Destiny 2

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
When even Call of Fucking Duty has more Lore in its overall scope, Bungie just dropping that ball

I was right in my assessment, Destiny = Lost (TV Show)

Just make up things along, fuck all the mysteries, questions needing to be answered, myth behind certain key aspects

Nah, we have no idea what we are doing, but hey at least we have gunplay and Loot!

Destiny thing was, it built a community that others game tried to rip away, it just had the comradery of playing with friends and like minded people
Now there are real competitors coming, guns blazing and if Destiny and Bungie stay on this path little by little that community will chip away

TheFatMan

Probably not, but it's not always just a matter of difficulty.

They might just be trying to reduce the number of matchmaking pools at launch to reduce wait times.

I suppose that is a fair assessment.

Still, it seems odd to release an FPS game without a free for all mode.

sajj316

Destiny player here .. not upset about the beards. I mean, really? I have a beard, I would like a bearded character, but I'm not raging due to it.

For me personally, it's either 30 or 60. I'm not a fan of 60 fps PvP and 30 fps PvE. It's disorienting switching back and forth.

This comment about watered down game content without playing the game or knowing all of it's options is ludicrous. It took Destiny 3 years to get to where it is.

LordOfChaos

Smith: So, I think that at a point, just totally candidly? We had no idea what it was. Straight up. We had no clue.

I think most of us could instinctively tell Destiny 1 was a bunch of technobabble thrown together to sound deep at the start of it, and then the lore was retroactively more fleshed out.

I'm not surprised they didn't know what The Darkness was at the start. It's just one on their list of things named The ____ to make it sound philosophical.

So Destiny 2 will focus on the Cabal, I wonder if it'll be DLC or 3 that go back to the darkness.

Jarmel

Banned
Those story decisions sound for the best. Destiny 1's story was a trainwreck so it's better to just start fresh.

Jonboy

Honestly, I think Luke Smith is a smart guy and I know the game is in good hands with him as director but...the guy probably shouldn't be the one they have out doing these interviews. He's really unapologetic and matter of fact about things and it can come off the wrong way pretty often. There are a lot of questionable things he's said ever since Taken King.

I think most of us could instinctively tell Destiny 1 was a bunch of technobabble thrown together to sound deep at the start of it, and then the lore was retroactively more fleshed out.

I'm not surprised they didn't know what The Darkness was at the start. It's just one on their list of things named The ____ to make it sound philosophical.

So Destiny 2 will focus on the Cabal, I wonder if it'll be DLC or 3 that go back to the darkness.
Check my post above. There was way more to Smith's answer.

Izuna

Banned
tbf

The Destiny fanbase basically hated the game in many ways anyway

I say that as someone who put farrrrr too much time in it, and everyone I played with complained constantly.

The week leading up to HoW was the most optimistic

Admodieus

Nothing else matters about Destiny if they can't fix their content delivery pipeline. People are not going to put up with the long periods of no new content like they did in Destiny 1. In that game, there was a hardcore grind mindset established in Year 1 that hardened people and conditioned them to do the same activities over and over again. Once the grind was eased in TTK and RoI, you saw the engagement rate plummet in the second half of the year.

kiguel182

What, no exo stranger? What a bummer. Ever since the first game I wish they had explored that more.

Same for all the lore and stuff.

K' Dash

What bothers me is that the game doesn't look good enough to justify 30fps, I would happily trade some eye candy for rock solid 60fps.

I don't care about the story, its really bad however they try to sell it.

Nibel

OP, you might be right, but here's the thing:

y'all are going to buy Destiny 2 anyway. Why should they listen to you?
wtzgU.gif

Ramirez

Hitting reset on the story was the best thing they could do, nothing in the first game made any sense. How anyone could be offended they're axing "The Darkness" is baffling, lol.

sajj316

Nothing else matters about Destiny if they can't fix their content delivery pipeline. People are not going to put up with the long periods of no new content like they did in Destiny 1. In that game, there was a hardcore grind mindset established in Year 1 that hardened people and conditioned them to do the same activities over and over again. Once the grind was eased in TTK and RoI, you saw the engagement rate plummet in the second half of the year.

This is I do agree with. The grind, design choice or not, gave Bungie the time to finish their content and get it out. They will need more live events and other "free" DLC between paid DLC.

Blam

Considering the rumors that D2 was originally more like a very big expansion that got rebooted a year ago, this stuff makes total sense.

Well Destiny 2 also was a part of Destiny 1 at a point in time. Back at E3 when they showed Destiny this was also a part of it. Destiny 3 will be the actual sequel to Destiny 1 as that's not going to be including any of the story that was cut from D1.

The plot for D2 has been known for a long ass time.

im_dany

I like almost everything about Destiny right now (except for the story, which I barely remember). Every time they come out with how they want to change this or that, I slowly get closer to that "cancel preorder" button. I want more of Y3 Destiny, not a new game.

DrZeus

Bought the taken king expansion/bundle heavily discounted and wasn't that into the gameplay. I'm even less excited about the sequel. Great job bungie.

Bungie seems to have a problem with expanding their stories. They set an interesting base, but afterwards they just don't know where to take it.

Lots of baffling decisions have been made. I'm still somewhat looking forward to it, but my hype has been mostly whittled away.

I think the game is titled incorrectly.

After everything I've read and heard.

Destiny 2 should just be called...

Destiny: Forget what you played the last three years because this is a more sustainable product in terms of support and development

or...

Destiny: Reboot

So the emote wheel part. Did they say it's not there yet, or that they don't plan to? It's a little thing, but I seriously stopped buying emotes because I could only equip a couple at a time. If I had access to all or most of them, I'd totally be down for more.

DOWN

Banned
Sorry but grimoire was a lazy ass way that they quickly tried to fix their lack of time to build the lore in game. Now the lore will be told narratively in game and that's way better than shitty text cards being relied on as information, that aren't even in the game itself.

panda-zebra

Just listened to the interview with Jason. The quote in the OP isn't really fair b/c it stops halfway through Smith's answer. It was actually a pretty good answer from him that showed humility. He admitted a mistake and went on to explain how they're trying to right the ship for D2.

Here's the second part to his answer...

That completely changes the whole exchange and only proves it's important to go to the source and not rely on what the OP chose to highlight.

Trickster

If there's one thing I'm not gonna miss. It's "The Darkness". That shit was so vague and dumb. Even the speaker sounded like he was rolling his eyes behind his mask when talked about it

More critical about their view on The Stranger being wrapped up. She was something concrete that we actually interacted with and had story strings attached to her. But I think the last time we see her was as she litterally walked away from you without explaining any of the stuff she didn't have time to explain initially :|

Floex

Bought the taken king expansion/bundle heavily discounted and wasn't that into the gameplay. I'm even less excited about the sequel. Great job bungie.

But, tha's like just your opinion man.

Destiny gets shit on alot but I think the majority would agree the gameplay is fantastic. The game simply isn't for you.

bachikarn

Are people really that upset they aren't going to explain the darkness? Here is what happened: in the original plot of the game, the traveler was the darkness. At the last minute, the executives decided to scrap the entire plot and they had to make up some bullshit.

I do not want future games to be shackled by the crap they made up on the spot back in Destiny. They clearly have a better idea of what they want to do with the story now, and it doesn't involve the 'darkness.' I applaud Luke for admitting they have no idea what it is.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just listened to the interview with Jason. The quote in the OP isn't really fair b/c it stops halfway through Smith's answer. It was actually a pretty good answer from him that showed humility. He admitted a mistake and went on to explain how they're trying to right the ship for D2.

Here's the second part to his answer...

This is an entirely different answer that makes sense for how they're approaching storytelling and lore in D2 and from now on in the series.

broony

Sorry but grimoire was a lazy ass way that they quickly tried to fix their lack of time to build the lore in game. Now the lore will be told narratively in game and that's way better than shitty text cards being relied on as information, that aren't even in the game itself.

Yep. If anything the fans have been asking for, it's to have the lore told in game, not on an external website.

And the premise of the darkness felt rushed. Much prefer to get rid of it and add some meat to the lore by doing it with in game story telling.

sajj316

YES! Someone said exactly what I thinking. How many of us read through those Grimoire cards. Ever wonder why they weren't available in-game? One aspect I did like about them was to identify what I didn't do much in the game and focus in on that.

Beegeous

Well Destiny 2 also was a part of Destiny 1 at a point in time. Back at E3 when they showed Destiny this was also a part of it. Destiny 3 will be the actual sequel to Destiny 1 as that's not going to be including any of the story that was cut from D1.

The plot for D2 has been known for a long ass time.

Wrong.

Woorloog

Banned
What bothers me is that the game doesn't look good enough to justify 30fps, I would happily trade some eye candy for rock solid 60fps.

I don't care about the story, its really bad however they try to sell it.

Not about graphics but CPU limits. Consoles don't have enough CPU power for all the physics and other simulation for 60FPS, apparently.
IMO it sounds believable reason enough.

I'm most annoyed at 4v4 max for pvp and no Rumble (at least at launch)

WHY???

With that said, I've already got my preorder in and will play the shit out of whatever is there.

If any other game tried this I totally wouldn't buy it though.

Why are ps4 destiny players complaining about exclusive content ? 🤣

Lol, I know.

I mean, it sucks for non PS4 players agreed. But they'll get it eventually.

Sony did a deal, paid for timed exclusivity on content and that content will be made available later to other players.

Bungie simply aren't going to change their minds at this point.

stephen08

I'm a huge fan of the original and nothing in the OP bothers me at all.

That's not to say that these things aren't worth complaining about or criticizing but they all seem very minor to me. The biggest omission from this list in my mind is free for all but I don't give a fuck about free for all so it'd be disingenuous to get upset about it.

EDIT: and yeah Darkness was known to just be enemy factions. There's gear that has perks for killing minions of darkness. It's just an easy way to say AI enemies.

Are people really that upset they aren't going to explain the darkness? Here is what happened: in the original plot of the game, the traveler was the darkness. At the last minute, the executives decided to scrap the entire plot and they had to make up some bullshit.

I do not want future games to be shackled by the crap they made up on the spot back in Destiny. They clearly have a better idea of what they want to do with the story now, and it doesn't involve the 'darkness.' I applaud Luke for admitting they have no idea what it is.

Yeah, I think that's completely fair.

FinKL

I think you missed the 2 most important things:

Guided Games as a way to matchmake for all activities when in reality it's limited to Normal modes which are superseded by Hard when released

No Crossplay/Crosssave

Raven77

Considering the rumors that D2 was originally more like a very big expansion that got rebooted a year ago, this stuff makes total sense.

I can see this. Most sequels try to do something new, expand on things that people liked from the first one, reduce things they didn't like, etc.

I've watched tons of footage and this just doesn't feel like a sequel to me. I don't see anything new outside of the obvious, new enemies and areas, which again are typically things found in expansions. Even reading up on whats new, it sounds mostly like tweaks. Playing with a clan that you aren't part of, more clan support, expanding pvp to 4 player teams.

Unless that campaign, which is called The Red War, is large and expansive I have no interest, I don't want a slapped on 4 hour campaign so they can tick a box and say it "has a solo campaign".

I loved Destiny but with all the other games coming out, and from what i've seen of this game I am not planning to pick it up. I wanted increased amount of vehicles, better more varied and interesting missions, better bosses instead of just large versions of regular enemies, the list goes on and on. I'm not saying the sequel won't have this, but so far they've shown me very little to actually get me interested.

Ramirez

The Bungie era Halo story was cool as fuck.

Yea, but similar to Destiny, they had the mysterious Forerunners which they never expanded on and left a mystery, pretty much like The Darkness, lol. When 343 shed light on them, they lost all of their mystique and cool factor. I don't think Bungie really knew what the Forerunners were either.

I can see this. Most sequels try to do something new, expand on things that people liked from the first one, reduce things they didn't like, etc.

I've watched tons of footage and this just doesn't feel like a sequel to me. I don't see anything new outside of the obvious, new enemies and areas, which again are typically things found in expansions. Even reading up on whats new, it sounds mostly like tweaks. Playing with a clan that you aren't part of, more clan support, expanding pvp to 4 player teams.

Unless that campaign, which is called The Red War, is large and expansive I have no interest, I don't want a slapped on 4 hour campaign so they can tick a box and say it "has a solo campaign".

I loved Destiny but with all the other games coming out, and from what i've seen of this game I am not planning to pick it up. I wanted increased amount of vehicles, better more varied and interesting missions, better bosses instead of just large versions of regular enemies, the list goes on and on. I'm not saying the sequel won't have this, but so far they've shown me very little to actually get me interested.

The Desitny boss design is one of the most puzzling design choices I've seen.

Vex have big harpies, big minotaurs and big hydras
Cabal have bigger Cabal
Fallen have big vandals and big servitors
Hive have big knights and big ogres

And in the first game, they pretty much did the exact same attack that the normal sized version did. Bare minimum, they ought to have different behaviors, but it'd be nice if they weren't just upscaled versions for a change.

Cruxist

I mean, every change in Destiny has aggravated the fanbase in some way. I'm not super pleased with the stuff about the Exo Stranger, but I understand the choice. I would hope that we'll see her in a future expansion/game.

A lot of this stems from Jason Schreier's behind the scenes, I think. The original Destiny leadership team had this great vision about the Traveler being kinda evil and folks like Osiris and the Crow were looking into it. I think re-casting the traveler as the actual good guy/source of light changed a ton of these plot threads, and is a reason for the soft reboot. I prefer them taking tie to define the darkness in this version of the narrative, and I think the Cabal invasion is a good way to hold off on greater lore for a while. The Cabal invasion was teased ahead of time, we were explicitly told that the Cabal encountered in the first game were just expeditionary, etc...

Who knows. Maybe I've finally found my "sucker" game that I'll just buy every year regardless. That's ok, I think. Everybody gets one.

Top Bottom