• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Day 2011 | Bungie Bids Halo Farewell

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thank you based Bungle, for everything. It's been a hell of a ride, and you've sucked hundreds of hours of my life away from productivity.

I wish I played Reach more often but Halo will always be one of my favourite gaming franchises forever, and few experiences will top the one I had playing Halo 1 for the first time on my mint Xbox. Wake me, when you need my wallet.

J-Roderton

Happy Bungie Day everyone. I hate to see Bungie go but I know Halo is in good hands. It's been my number 1 game ever since high school. Gonna be playing Reach all day long.

Happy Bungie Day! To celebrate I am going to run screaming naked down the hallway at work, stopping only to gyrate my hips in the direction of attractive female coworkers.

Hey You

: “@TheUberMedic: @bungietweets How much will this bungie T-Shirt for our avatars cost?” 80 points.

I wonder if it will be limited edition and only available for a certain time period.

Hey You said:
Well considering we can't even get Free Gamerpics anymore...

How about putting the Defiant map pack on sale then? Or is that not under their control, as they weren't the ones that made it.

Havok

lush said:
Any chance we get a free map?
No. Besides, remember back to Bungie Day '08 when Cold Storage was released for free. Microsoft has implemented severe restrictions on free DLC map integration with the series after Halo 2. Cold Storage, while a wonderful gesture, was ultimately wasted. Any free maps for Reach would likely fall under the same category, and you'd never see it in anything but custom games.

Bread

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
It really won't. 343I could do a great job but there will be that something missing. It just won't feel the same.
You should probably wait until it comes out before you say that. Who knows, 343i might make a better Halo than Bungie.

Hey You

And the official Bungie teams are (in no particular order):

* D Pool Champions
* Team Saving Your Ass
* Got Beef?
* #HighSteaksHalo A
* #HighSteaksHalo B
* Multiple Scorgasms
* In Frag Structure
* Needs More Cover
* Blame Steak
* 0xdeadbeef
* Team Lee Prestiged twice in BlOps
* 824 Bones
* The Real McLovin Power Hour
* Happy Cows Aren't Steak
* Team America
* Got Beef?
* L.Y.D.T.T.C.T.S.F.A.D.I.T.G.B.O.E.V.(t)
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=steaktakular

ReverseFate said:
How about putting the Defiant map pack on sale then? Or is that not under their control, as they weren't the ones that made it.
They probably couldn't even get Noble Map Pack to go on sale.

Sai-kun

Banned
ReverseFate said:

They literally don't control pricing at all.

lush

Havok said:
No. Besides, remember back to Bungie Day '08 when Cold Storage was released for free. Microsoft has implemented severe restrictions on free DLC map integration with the series after Halo 2. Cold Storage, while a wonderful gesture, was ultimately wasted. Any free maps for Reach would likely fall under the same category, and you'd never see it in anything but custom games.
What was the problem with Cold Storage? I seem to recall playing it in several playlists.

Even though I already have the map packs, I price drop on that would be nice as well.

Although I couldn't be happier to know Bungie is moving on to new things, it's still a bit sad seeing them leave Halo behind. The franchise singlehandedly revitalized my love of gaming, and has defined and dominated much of the last decade in this hobby for me. I can't thank Bungie enough for all the memories and good times along the way, and wish them nothing but the best going forward.

Here's to another 20 years. World Domination takes time after all.

Havok

lush said:
What was the problem with Cold Storage? I seem to recall playing it in several playlists.

Even though I already have the map packs, I price drop on that would be nice as well.
From what I recall, its integration in playlists was tied to Legendary pack purchases, which was not and is not free, and which basically led to severe underuse. Shishka, who managed the playlists at the time, was only able to put it into playlists that were Legendary required, which weren't really any of the most popular playlists. It's currently in 3 or 4 playlists, but the chance of it showing up is extremely low, especially with those Microsoft-mandated restrictions. The moral of the story is that Don Mattrick and the rest of the MGS suits don't like free DLC (which is why Halo maps stopped going free - they were still selling too much).

senador

Banned
339936965-a98cf9c159c48859c5244fd22b3ba442.4e155268-full.jpg

http://twitter.com/#!/bungietweets/status/88858262895726592

I gotta give all my respect to Bungie for making one of my favorite games of all time but I'll be glad to see 343 getting control of Halo. The lack of any title updates for Reach has really been sad and its great to see 343 ready to get one out there.

Slime

Banned
Halo is on this weird list of mine, alongside Harry Potter and LOST, of things I dismissed initially for no good reason, only to fall completely in love with later on. I was so surprised by how quickly all my misconceptions went out the window when playing that first hour of Combat Evolved. The controls were flawless, the flow of the gameplay felt so intuitive and fun, and the lore seemed so damn compelling. I don't think I've ever been as enamored with a modern video game so quickly as I was with that first Halo experience. It completely blew me away.

Not only that, but as I looked into who actually made the game, I fell in love all over again. Early on in my gaming days I knew very little about developers in general, aside from the obvious ones. Had I paid a bit more attention, I probably would have saved myself a lot of trouble, because the Marathon and Myth series were some of my favorite computer games in the 90's. Shortly after giving Halo a chance I finally put the pieces together, and my love for Halo quickly became a great appreciation for this talented group of people as a whole. I started taking part in the community they'd developed, and was kind of awe-struck by how in touch with their fanbase they were. You don't often see that level of openness and appreciation outside of smaller devs, and yet here you had the folks in charge of one of the biggest IPs in gaming interacting with their fanbase, way back before most of us knew what the hell a "community manager" was.

The quality of the games themselves, the online experience, and the sense of community surrounding this property were so shaped by this studio that taking them out of the equation and replacing them with someone else is just not going to be the same. While I have faith in the people at 343i, and am hopeful about the series going forward, it's impossible to deny that Bungie is irreplacable. But while their departure from the series is bittersweet, they're still around, and I'm beyond excited to see what they have in store for us next. After all, they haven't disappointed me once.

zumphry

Banned
Woo, congrats guys! Kinda bummed that I have to go to sleep soon so I can't get on until later, but once I'm up I'm totally gonna get my steak on!

Anyway, here's some wallpapers that I've whipped up in celebration. "Aesteroids" is a wallpaper I've spent months on due to wanting to get it done correctly. Though I'll never be finished on it, what better day to "release" it than Bungie Day?

Aesteroids (Clean) Link

Aesteroids (Dirty) Link

Be Brave Link

ZayneH said:
Woo, congrats guys! Kinda bummed that I have to go to sleep soon so I can't get on until later, but once I'm up I'm totally gonna get my steak on!

Anyway, here's some wallpapers that I've whipped up in celebration. "Aesteroids" is a wallpaper I've spent months on due to wanting to get it done correctly. Though I'll never be finished on it, what better day to "release" it than Bungie Day?
Since when have you been on the "Destiny" train? ;^p

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
As much as I complained about Reach, you made one of my favorite franchises and made me fall in love with FPS.

I heart you Bungie, lots.

Top Bottom