• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Vet Says Destiny Deal With Activision Was "Bad From The Start"

Dolomite

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articl...was-b/1100-6479396/?__twitter_impression=true

O'Donnell shared that he has a saying, "be nice to the goose," which means you should be nice to the goose because that's where golden eggs come from. In this analogy, Bungie is the goose that lays the golden egg that is Destiny. This unnamed Austrian business executive told O'Donnell, "Yeah, I like that story ... golden eggs ... the goose. But sometimes there's nothing like a good Foie gras."

"Foie gras is the French cuisine that is made from goose liver after the bird is fattened by forced feeding. O'Donnell was spooked that Activision saw Bungie as a goose to be fattened and then killed off, and today he wishes he had raised concerns to his colleagues."

Last edited:

Pfhunkie

It’s a terrible shame what happened. Was interesting to hear Microsoft was close to coming up with a deal for them instead at the time. Really wished Microsoft would have just given them the contract they wanted in exchange for something like limited exclusivity.

Rikkori

Basically a lot of the Bungie leadership started feeling like Activision wasn't wrong in what they were saying and how they wanted to milk the playerbase, they just didn't want to share that milk with Activision anymore. A few brave souls like Marty still tried fighting for the spirit of the games & the craftsmanship that made Bungie so beloved, but they lost.

Expect more mtx & BS, is what it boils down to. Not surprised.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
They seem to be doing really good after breaking up with Activision.
They are definitely on the right track but are really feeling the pressure of no longer having all of Activision's support staff that they had come to rely on for Destiny. The game is in a decent place but Bungie is seemingly unable to provide the live support that fans are expecting right now. Stuff like PC anti-cheat, competitive MP balance, game QOL, etc has slowed down since they broke apart. They also started more than they could support with cross-save, competitive mp (trials), new seasonal model, migration to Steam, Stadia version, etc right after they broke from Activision. Hopefully they can staff up to solve this issue.

The publishing deal here was doomed from the start. Glad they are making the game on their own terms. Unfortunate that they lost talent like Marty and Joe in the process.

jigglet

Banned
The current main investor is no better, the main difference is Activision fundamentally didn't understand GaaS.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Foie gras though is from forced fed duck.

Maybe Bungie should have stayed with Microsoft?! Or simply not going GaaS. Going back to Destiny 2 feels like I missed the whole carnival because it's over. There is still all the timed activities but the rewards and mission attached to it are now worthless. It's hard for newcomer to guide himselves because it's so easy to grind for non important stuff and waste your time.

Microsoft should have done anything they could have to keep bungie. At the time of their split it looked like Bungie hated the partnership because Microsoft wanted Bungie to be a halo only dev team.

Bungie does not do well when managed, because Bungie is bad at managing themselves. If you look at all their Vidocs you will see that they are always under a crunch, they are always cutting shit out of their games and their game engines are also very rigid without flexibility. Every video for every new game talks about this.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
landocalrissian-empire-bobafett-700x298.jpg

Amaranty

Oh yeah absolutely .. they are doing much better without Activision
They are? Destiny 2 was such a letdown, it felt like a watered down Destiny 1. Every time they release a new expansion I get the urge to try it out again, but after 1-2 months I check the Destiny subreddit to read, how bad everything is and that the only thing Bungie really improves is the Eververse store.

Even though I enjoyed Destiny 1 because if its gameplay, I did notice how barebones each expansion was.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Imho Destiny was bad from the start and Destiny 2 even more so and will continue to be.
There are many people like me who invested thousands of hours into the series. There is an entire community of people who primarily play Destiny and that includes many YouTubers who mostly upload Destiny related content. I honestly never understood people who project their preference as an objective opinion.

MrS

Banned
This old motherfucker needs to let it go. Shit happened years ago and it does no good to keep giving it life. He's still in his feelings because Activision execs made fun of him once a decade ago lmao

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Destiny's a weird one. It started out poorly, then built into something truly great after a few expansions. Then Destiny 2 came out and it was as if they'd reset all the way back to the Destiny 1 release, when things sucked and there was no content. Now, as before, they've built back up into something pretty good but the story is still horrifically bad.

Throughout it all you could always see Activision's teeth in it. Bungie broke free but they haven't shown much of an initiative to change. I don't know what to make of that company.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I honestly never understood people who project their preference as an objective opinion.

giphy.gif

I've played Destiny 2 for over 200+ hours, bought Shadow Keep last year and it's just the same effin' shit as before. They're good at recycling the same exact content year after year and even asking people to pay for it, grind for hours on end for no good reason but to get a gun or a shiny armor set, doing exact same busy work etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,

It's a shame I didn't realize all that sooner, but better late than never. I'm done with Destiny as a whole and maybe even with Bungie at this point. All they did for the last 10 years is... nothing, complete waste of time, talent and resources in comparison to X360 era, and it's really sad to see what they're turned into.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
There are many people like me who invested thousands of hours into the series. There is an entire community of people who primarily play Destiny and that includes many YouTubers who mostly upload Destiny related content. I honestly never understood people who project their preference as an objective opinion.

I’m pretty sure Destiny is Phil Spencer’s favorite game, he’s playing it all the time and tweets about it more than most first party titles.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

giphy.gif

I've played Destiny 2 for over 200+ hours, bought Shadow Keep last year and it's just the same effin' shit as before. They're good at recycling the same exact content year after year and even asking people to pay for it, grind for hours on end for no good reason but to get a gun or a shiny armor set, doing exact same busy work etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,

It's a shame I didn't realize all that sooner, but better late than never. I'm done with Destiny as a whole and maybe even with Bungie at this point. All they did for the last 10 years is... nothing, complete waste of time, talent and resources in comparison to X360 era, and it's really sad to see what they're turned into.
Grinding is part of the charm. A lot of us stay for the music and the lore. I never felt bored while grinding in Destiny. But whatever.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I dunno, things have not gotten much better at Bungie since they left Activision.... the season passes are just grinding public activities, loot has been terrible and eververse highly exploited to make people buy the best gear.
They recently 'sunsetted' lots of cool weapons that took people a long time to earn...
Trials of Osiris is also a huge mess that is filled with cheaters...

The content and rewards are really just not being produced at a good rate and the feeling of being rewarded is mostly gone, you just fill your storage with crap....

Hardly any story and power is just a lock-out mechanism. You still never become any more powerful.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Grinding is part of the charm.
More like giant waste of time to me. But whatever.

A lot of us stay for the music and the lore.
I just could not care less about lore, characters and story in these games. I've tried to read some of it and got bored to death. It's the most unremarkable, bog-standard and cryptic Sci-Fi shit I've ever read. Such a huge step down from HALO in a lot of ways.

Kokoloko85

I dunno, things have not gotten much better at Bungie since they left Activision.... the season passes are just grinding public activities, loot has been terrible and eververse highly exploited to make people buy the best gear.
They recently 'sunsetted' lots of cool weapons that took people a long time to earn...
Trials of Osiris is also a huge mess that is filled with cheaters...

The content and rewards are really just not being produced at a good rate and the feeling of being rewarded is mostly gone, you just fill your storage with crap....

Hardly any story and power is just a lock-out mechanism. You still never become any more powerful.

Shame as I loved Destiny during the first 3 raid’s. Made some real life friends with my fireteam lol

Bryank75

Banned
Shame as I loved Destiny during the first 3 raid’s. Made some real life friends with my fireteam lol
Same, the only thing that might bring me back is the return of Vault of Glass raid which is supposedly coming...
People I met in Destiny, particularly D1 were the most helpful and cool individuals I've met while gaming.

-Arcadia-

Banned
To me, the real parts of the story aren't in the headline.

We finally find out why Marty was fired, at least from his perspective, and it's even more retarded than we thought it was.

Activision apparently had the power to control the IP if Bungie leadership was okay with it, according to a loophole in the contract, and... they were okay with it, against Marty's protests.

This is seemingly what got the maybe the most talented gaming composer ever, sacked.

What a mess. Nothing new to Bungie fans, though. For all their talent, this studio has made the dumbest management decisions from the very beginning. As amazing as it is, Halo could have been so much more, if Bungie wasn't constantly shooting itself in the foot.

SpartanN92

Banned
Fuck Bungie.
Under Microsoft they made 5 of the best FPS games EVER.
They sold their soul to Activision and it’s been a shit show ever since. Can you imagine what Destiny would have been like if Bungie stayed with Microsoft and as given the same latitude in its development they were given with Halo?

hyperbertha

Destiny was trash when they were with Activation and is trash now that they are by themselves. Why did they split exactly?

I expected better from you Bernkastel.

Last edited:

Barakov

That deal was bad from the start. I think anybody with an ounce of sense in their head knew that deal would go sour. It wasn't a matter of if but when.

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articl...was-b/1100-6479396/?__twitter_impression=true

O'Donnell shared that he has a saying, "be nice to the goose," which means you should be nice to the goose because that's where golden eggs come from. In this analogy, Bungie is the goose that lays the golden egg that is Destiny. This unnamed Austrian business executive told O'Donnell, "Yeah, I like that story ... golden eggs ... the goose. But sometimes there's nothing like a good Foie gras."

"Foie gras is the French cuisine that is made from goose liver after the bird is fattened by forced feeding. O'Donnell was spooked that Activision saw Bungie as a goose to be fattened and then killed off, and today he wishes he had raised concerns to his colleagues."
no shit, retards kept acting like they were excited to be independent from Microsoft acting like 7/7 was a fucking holiday and than they immediately sign away for Activision of all fucking companies. Wouldn't be surprised to hear they partnered with EA for next gen. Sell outs.

VAVA Mk2

What if MS tried to reacquire Bungie on terms that Bungie would have more freedom to pursue projects it wants to...

I've been playing Destiny on and off since the D1 days. got on D2 at launch and it was indeed disappointing. but they had done a lot to improve and with the departure from Activision and going F2P, they put in a lot of work and if you're new to the game, it definitely is worth playing right now just with the F2P content alone. I feel the issue is again for the seasoned players, they had done and gotten everything they want and whatever Bungie is pumping out it's just not enough for them. in a way I kinda agree since this IS after all a looters shooter. you're suppose to grind and get that god roll weapon that's the meta etc. but if the grind isn't fun, then it's really hard to get people into the game, especially if the loot is also mediocre (which, to be fair, some of those exotics are underwhelming to be sure). but their expansions, like Forsaken, Shadow Keep, had all been great for the most part and I think they're getting the hang of operating on their own. is there room for improvement? for sure there's plenty (Trial of Osiris on PC comes to mind). but what they've done right, they did it with flying colors. the raids in Destiny is still to this day something I had not experience in any other FPS games. also, the weapon design and feel is simply wonderful when you've got one that feels just right.

the criticism toward Bungie is 100% justified, but at the same time, they're still keeping this game alive after all the blunder, and that's why I'm willing to keep play. for those who are unhappy, take a break from time to time instead of keep burning out on the game. yes some seasons are not the best, but with the way they're doing things now you can skip them without much issue. always vote with your wallet and voice your concerns. I need to go log in and do the new quest for the exotic trace rifle that just came out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Reading up on Bungie, they ditched the Activision deal in 2019, but then signed a deal with Chinese firm NetEase who paid $100 million for a stake in the company and board of directors representation.

So Activision bad, but a big money hat NetEase good?

Bungie --> MS --> Activision --> NetEase

Talk about grabbing any corporate buck they can find. For a company this big, you'd think they'd be independent instead of scoping out who has the biggest wallet.

So who's next? NetEase --> ?????

I bet if Activision offered $150 million, Activision would be heralded greatest partner ever.

Last edited:
D1 & D2 have some amazing art, enemies and gameplay. The sandbox is super fun and the overall game is innovative e.g. PvEvP or raids etc. The grind and repetition kills the game for me. The latter part feels like it comes from the publisher more than Bungie but we'll see over the next 1-3 years of D2/3. I got sick of grinding the same content, having my weapon/armour set keep becoming useless and being forced to play with the latest and greatest all to grind up so I could play content with friends. The expectation of your time invested was far too much to bring together 5-10 of us regularly and people fell off due to levels not matching, RNG loot even on huge time invested for raids and generally just overexposure of the developer forced aspects of the game instead of letting us play what and how we wanted.

Underneath it's a brilliant game though. I, and my regular 2 buddies, stopped playing it a while ago when we started missing out on raids due to the above reasons. Games like Apex Legends just let you jump in and play, no levels or grinds required. I hope D3 goes that sort of route for progression and playing with friends.

Top Bottom