• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Vet Says Destiny Deal With Activision Was "Bad From The Start"

Caffeine

I dunno, things have not gotten much better at Bungie since they left Activision.... the season passes are just grinding public activities, loot has been terrible and eververse highly exploited to make people buy the best gear.
They recently 'sunsetted' lots of cool weapons that took people a long time to earn...
Trials of Osiris is also a huge mess that is filled with cheaters...

The content and rewards are really just not being produced at a good rate and the feeling of being rewarded is mostly gone, you just fill your storage with crap....

Hardly any story and power is just a lock-out mechanism. You still never become any more powerful.

ye there really gotta quadruple down on anti cheat going forward cause this is something else. in other games u might run into a hacker here or there but destiny is in a bad state.

Bungie knew that Activision was bad from the start. But they didn't care. All Bungie saw was that $500 million Activision gave them to starting the Destiny franchise!

You made your bed with the devil, so don't complain about it now!

Last edited:

Yoboman

Literally everybody said it was a bad idea and made no sense after leaving for "independence" when they announced the arrangement

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I dunno, things have not gotten much better at Bungie since they left Activision.... the season passes are just grinding public activities, loot has been terrible and eververse highly exploited to make people buy the best gear.
They recently 'sunsetted' lots of cool weapons that took people a long time to earn...

The content and rewards are really just not being produced at a good rate and the feeling of being rewarded is mostly gone, you just fill your storage with crap....

Hardly any story and power is just a lock-out mechanism. You still never become any more powerful.

Do they still use that weird hybrid P2P system for match making in PvP? I remember it being trivial to find someone's IP and location back when I played. Anyone could write cheap and easy hacks with that kind of info easily available. I can't tell you how many times I joined a Crucible match and halfway in my router started logging tons of rejected packets from what it perceived as an attack of this or that kind.

Bryank75

Banned
Do they still use that weird hybrid P2P system for match making in PvP? I remember it being trivial to find someone's IP and location back when I played. Anyone could write cheap and easy hacks with that kind of info easily available. I can't tell you how many times I joined a Crucible match and halfway in my router started logging tons of rejected packets from what it perceived as an attack of this or that kind.
Pretty sure they do....

treemk

Banned
Ironic that after they left, Microsoft became a much better company to work for than the company Bungie left them for.

They still wouldn't have stepped back from making Bungie a Halo studio that makes a Halo game ever 2 to 3 years. In my mind everything after Halo 3 was pointless and devalued the IP. I also think MS could have negotiated to keep Bungie had they been willing to let them make what ever they want until Halo 4 exclusive on Xbox One.

iHaunter

Any deal with Activision is bad. I'm glad Bungie separated from Activision. We haven't seen a good Halo game since Halo 2, maybe they can do a similar game in the same genre. Really curious about what they can do without having their hands tied.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I don't think I remember seeing a single positive post on any message board when news came out that Bungie was partnering with Activision. Everybody saw it coming, so it's hard to feel any sympathy for Bungie. They knew whose bed they were climbing into.

GenericUser

I never understood why bungie broke up with microsoft. Sure, they'd be doomed to always do halo, but I would not have thrown away the privilege of being a first party microsoft dev. I think most game devs would dream about being in such a comfortable position.

Besides, bungie really wasn't all that great to begin with. Halo blew up, because it was the right idea at the right time, but since then much has changed. Destiny still has that good old halo style combat, but everything else about the game is average at best.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Imho Destiny was bad from the start and Destiny 2 even more so and will continue to be.

Can't agree. Destiny 2 was a better game on launch than Destiny 1 ever was through its numerous updates/expansions. Not even sure how they could release such trash like D1.

Though they are trying real hard to ruin D2 with its latest news.

What Bungie *should* do is just cut the crap and release a good SP game with fun MP, y'know like they did with Halo instead of this MMO-Lite shit.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I was sick of Destiny in 2015. I tried D2 for a few weeks and thought it was worse than 1. D1's campaign, loot design and level design was objectively bad, but I really liked the PvP during the first year. And the VoG raid was fun, though their loot roll system was dumb. D2 had an even worse campaign I felt. I think the co-op was removed, which made D1 kind of tolerable for me and a friend. The game went backwards in a lot of ways, though I haven't played it beyond the first month after launch and don't plan to.

I don't know how Bungie fares without Activision but it seems they doubled down on mtx without them as well?

Last edited:
Since, Bungie left MS cause they were being forced to make Halo all the time, how come making a second rate destiny games for eternity is good enough for them?

Going from halo Dev's to destiny Dev's is huge downgrade. Its like naughty dog left sony to make candy crush.

I don't know what happens behind scenes, but this make zero sense to me.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Oh they do, they just want a new yearly release while still being GaaS and super short seasons to milk as much money out of people in that year window.

This is what's giving me the COD fatigue the last couple of years, and even more with the recent MW. I would still have played it if there wasn't a new release every years, but the restart every year has really drained me.

Ar¢tos

It would be smart if Sony bought Bungie to bolster their multiplayer offerings.
Nobody wants sloppy thirds...
I doubt Sony even considers buying them when they can get all the marketing and timed exclusive content without much effort.
Also, I don't think Sony can buy them even if they wanted to, now that Bungie is wrapped in NetEase tentacles.
Bungie is now just another easy girl of China's brothel.

Psykodad

Banned

I thought reports stated that most of Destiny's issues were down to Bungie and not Activision.

In other news, The sky is blue. Grass is green and water is wet.

Supposedly Destiny was meant to be an Xbox exclusive but MS (Ran by good ol' Don at the time) just wanted more Halo games.

SkylineRKR

Since, Bungie left MS cause they were being forced to make Halo all the time, how come making a second rate destiny games for eternity is good enough for them?

Going from halo Dev's to destiny Dev's is huge downgrade. Its like naughty dog left sony to make candy crush.

I don't know what happens behind scenes, but this make zero sense to me.

They essentially made another Halo, with less interesting encounter design, worse level design, less storyline (its lore is pretty much outside the game), and a focus on co-op and bullet sponge bosses, And perhaps worse MP than the OG Halo trilogy as well though I liked it at some point in D1.

I always wondered what the point was. They could just as well expand Halo's online side into co-op/loot/mtx territory while keeping a solid MP shooter, perhaps next to something different. They're just making Destiny games for almost 10 years now as well. I guess the benefit is that they're multiplatform now.

Last edited:

Flintty

Say what you will about Activision but the mtx grab has got worse since they split. Bungie are a ghost of their former glory.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Bungie died awhile ago. Destiny was trash all around besides the gameplay aspect imo.

Even their last Halo game showed that. Reach's mp was like a beta for Destiny with all the armor abilities. But the campaign is by far the best of the series.

The only thing I'd of liked, is to see where they would have picked up from the ending of Halo 3.

Top Bottom