• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie vs 343 Industries: A difference in Design Philosophy

NullZ3r0

Banned
What if the old way was genuinely better? Change isn’t universally a good thing.
If Halo released these days it would get panned. Games have evolved, especially the FPS.

Nostalgia is extremely deceptive. Instead of trying to recapture old memories, create new ones.

Last edited:
The push to create a cinematic experience instead interesting gameplay scenarios. The way the original and 2 just gave you these large (at that time) spaces and basically set you free. They allowed you to create the moments instead of creating them for you and forcing you to experience them.

Umbral

If Halo released these days it would get panned. Games have evolved, especially the FPS.

Nostalgia is extremely deceptive.
If you watched the video, I think you’re missing the point.

Different studio cultures and goals produced different games, one studio produced highly revered games, the other produced games that were soulless and generally looked upon as bad. The differences in the studios is made apparent by the various clips of their philosophy and approach.

Again, I’m not a Halo fan, so I can’t weigh in on the games themselves from personal experience.

Belmonte

Nostalgia is extremely deceptive. Instead of trying to recapture old memories, create new ones.

I played Reach for the first time this year. Before that the only Halo I played was the PC version of the first one.

Halo Reach is one of my favorite FPSs games ever. So good it made me replay the campaign after I finished it, something it never happened before with any FPS.

I never saw any FPS enemy AI so fun to play against as that game. Playing in the hardest difficulty usually breaks other FPSs. In Halo Reach it made even more fun.

Top Bottom