• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie was in talks to biy Stadia, after the Sony puchase?

Kagey K

Banned

reksveks

Didn't Bungie and Stadia already have a widely known partnership?

This seems like something different

The report indicates that the idea was that Bungie would own the content (Destiny and/or other future games) and control the front-end experience, but Google would power the technology itself. So, this is essentially Bungie with its own streaming service, but it’s powered by Stadia tech

So it's just seems to be more a case of just removing the stadia login from the access to destiny 2.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Seems like a backdoor to avoid regulators if true.
jokes aside.

yea its a pretty weird purchase, understand Bungie is independant, but i thought at least Sony is the one acquiring the tech instead

Kagey K

Banned
So it's just seems to be more a case of just removing the stadia login from the access to destiny 2.
That's not what I read at all.

To me it says you will think you are signing into Bungie and they will control all purchases and you will provide the backend for a royalty.

Last edited:

reksveks

i thought at least Sony is the one acquiring the tech instead
If it helps get PS5 games on ps now, I would be all for it.

That's not what I read at all.
Yeah, it's in the article. Think Paul is mixing things up here. White-labelling the tech seems like a Google thing to do, sell the whole division would be another major step. It could be possible though.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

Yeah, it's in the article. Think Paul is mixing things up here. White-labelling the tech seems like a Google thing to do, sell the whole division would be another major step to cutting out Stadia.
It cut itself out did it not?

Seems they were asking too much and nobody wanted to pay it in the end.

Kagey K

Banned
jokes aside.

yea its a pretty weird purchase, understand Bungie is independant, but i thought at least Sony is the one acquiring the tech instead
It seems to me like Bungie would own it for a bit and license it to Dony and them sell to them after a few years.

Just seems funny to have a subsidiary of a key company buying cloud tech, while arguing nobody can buy or get into cloud gaming

reksveks

It cut itself out did it not?

Seems they were asking too much and nobody wanted to pay it in the end.
Not sure Google has ever tried to sell the tech (separate from the platform) , in part cause I don't think there is a good market fit at the moment.

I do expect them to try and white-label the tech like ubitus seems to be doing, and that's what this is. It still might be a shitty ROI for Google and then they might try to sell it.

https://blog.google/products/stadia/message-on-stadia-streaming-strategy/

Ever here, they do suggest it's going to be white labeled

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Not sure Google has ever tried to sell the tech (separate from the platform) , in part cause I don't think there is a good market fit at the moment.

I do expect them to try and white-label the tech like ubitus seems to be doing, and that's what this is. It still might be a shitty ROI for Google and then they might try to sell it.

https://blog.google/products/stadia/message-on-stadia-streaming-strategy/

Ever here, they do suggest it's going to be white labeled
If the infrastructure is already there it makes sense to rent it, but if they aren't putting server blades in, the PC versions need to be on time

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That would be a crazy way for Sony to aquire stadia....must have been some back door way to avoid any issues with the current case.

I mean how could Sony say they have no way to compete with xcloud when they've just acquired overall ownership of stadia.

I would put money that if they'd pulled this off it would have been bungie has bought stadia and then some time after the acti blizz deal (whichever way it went) they would announce that its rolled into the wider Sony umbrella.

Interesting.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Didn't Bungie and Stadia already have a widely known partnership?

This seems like something different
Sony bought both OnLive and Gaikai tech, buying Stadia tech would bring them more knowhow than they have successfully been able to exploit so far.

I mean, it would make sense, but it is not like Sony is short on cloud streaming tech… should not be…

Kagey K

Banned
That would be a crazy way for Sony to aquire stadia....must have been some back door way to avoid any issues with the current case.

I mean how could Sony say they have no way to compete with xcloud when they've just acquired over a rall ownership of stadia.

I would put money that if they'd pulled this off it would have been bungie has bought stadia and then some time after the acti blizz deal (whichever way it went) they would announce that its rolled into the wider Sony umbrella.

Interesting.
That's how i felt, when i uncovered it

Imagine if MS had tried to buy Activision under Bethesda because they weren't MS.

Last edited:

Rykan

That's not at all what this article says.

It specifically mentions the use of Stadia Tech. Not Stadia as a platform.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Sas Not Buying It GIF by Channel 7

Kagey K

Banned
That's not at all what this article says.

It specifically mentions the use of Stadia Tech. Not Stadia as a platform.
I quoted exactly what he says. Show me where I'm wrong

Also what is the difference?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
"Bungie was in talks to buy Stadia".

That's not what the article says.
What does buying the "tech" and putting your own storefront on it mean?

It was buying the company, but maybe without the downsides.

Last edited:

Rykan

What does buying the "tech" and putting your own storefront on it mean?

It was buying the company, but maybe without the downsides.
They're not buying the company. This is about licensing the tech.

Think of it like Epic and Unreal Engine. Developers License the Unreal Engine for their own use. They are not buying or licensing Epic's entire Unreal division. That's basically what was in the talks here: Licensing Stadia Tech for other purposes. Putting your own storefront means that Bungie will have its own storefront/launcher. Similar to something like battle.net.

The whole deal is somewhat similar to the Batman: Arkham Knight AT&T thing.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Does playstation plus 2.0 include cloud streaming like game pass?
It's basically the only way it works on PC, they used to have more cloud options, but they took them all away a few years ago

Which is probably thier most ironic part as far as thier objection to Xcloud.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Regarding whitelabelling:

Google needs all their ventures to make BILLIONS. Even very successful products have been shut down before. They want billions, not millions.

Would you seriously want to invest tens if not hundreds of millions to build a platform on white-labelled Google tech that might get deprecated at any time? Unless your service is a smash hit and becomes a defacto industry standard like Steam, Google will pull the rug out from under you. Fuck that shit.

They have not done anything to instill confidence. If they want this to succeed as a white labelled platform, they should have kept Stadia alive as a purely credibility building exercise, not a money making one.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Clarify pls. Referring to Sony or Bungie?
Everyone

Obviously if Stadoa had all these partners, anyone can.

There is obviously no reztriction to cloud gaming, and anyone can be a publisher, if they are willing to invest enough.

Nothing makes it more prohibitively expensive than other industries.

Last edited:
"What is dead may never die" or something...

Winding down their own efforts to be a full blown plattform but renting or selling those existing hw units to whoever want's to offer a streamed demo or game individually. Sounds reasonable. Whatever one thinks of streaming the stadia hw is still great. Especially Sony has a hard time supplying PS5 HW so won't be able to equip their servers anytime soon with PS5 units- some people would probably even be pissed if they did-, so this could be a way of offering some cross gen games with PS5 like graphics as an intermediate step. If the price is not ridiculous Sony/Bungie should do it.

Three

Yeah, it's in the article. Think Paul is mixing things up here. White-labelling the tech seems like a Google thing to do, sell the whole division would be another major step. It could be possible though.
This won't happen unless Google change their back end to use PS hardware/OS. Games would have to be written for Stadia hardware/linux.

Paul is definitely confused. They have confused "selling the tech" with selling the IP/company when it just means they provide it to third parties. The wierd thing is this was known and made clear with those exact words when they shut down SGE a long time ago.

Edit: bloody hell that's why. Article is from February. What the hell are you doing Kagey K Kagey K ?

Last edited:

reksveks

This won't happen unless Google change their back end to use PS hardware/OS. Games would have to be written for Stadia hardware/linux.
Yeah, I know that's a whole another porting job needed. Just wanted to vent slightly about how slowly Sony is at rolling out the ps5 support for ps now.

Ozriel

M$FT
Everyone

Obviously if Stadoa had all these partners, anyone can.

There is obviously no reztriction to cloud gaming, and anyone can be a publisher, if they are willing to invest enough.

Nothing makes it more prohibitively expensive than other industries.

Yeah, there’s no shortage of partners to work with to get cloud streaming off the ground. Sony for example has that deal with Microsoft for Azure…so no need to build out their own datacenters. Google will likely also be happy to license out their Stadia tech, and they’re also a major player in datacenters.

It’ll still require significant capital expenditure to get off the ground, especially if you aren’t a console player (cheaper to hook up $499 boxes vs building bespoke PCs like Google did with Stadia)

Topher

Gold Member
Why quote an article talking about another article. Just use the original article:

"Google last year also pitched its technology to Bungie, the developer behind the "Destiny" franchise, which was exploring a streaming platform of its own, according to three people familiar with the discussions. Under the proposal, Bungie would own the content and control the front-end experience, but Google would power the technology that beamed the games to users' screens."

So Google was going to bring in partners to "save" Stadia. Not sell it.

I mean how could Sony say they have no way to compete with xcloud when they've just acquired overall ownership of stadia.

Interesting.

When did Sony say they have no way of competing with xCloud? And none of this had anything to do with Sony as Sony wasn't even involved when this happened the previous year.

"Sony, which owns PlayStation, announced this week that it would acquire Bungie for $3.6 billion. While Bungie said it would continue to support Stadia, insiders did not know if the merger would affect plans between Google and Bungie."

Thread title is just wrong. And it seems we now know that the plans between Bungie and Google were abandoned after Sony acquired Bungie probably due to the fact that Sony has a deal with Microsoft to use Azure.

Last edited:

JCK75

Well I mean it being shut down would be the tech should be up for sale..
it is by far the best streaming tech of all the ones I used they just could not handle not being stupid in the business model.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Well I mean it being shut down would be the tech should be up for sale..
it is by far the best streaming tech of all the ones I used they just could not handle not being stupid in the business model.
Google said that they planned to license the tech to other companies 8 months ago.

So far they haven't announced that they're planning to fully divest themselves of the streaming technology, at least not that I'm aware of.

Top Bottom