• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Weekly Update 07/09/10: Enter the RC Process

Striker

Alienshogun said:
My guess is MOST of gaf is highschool/early college age. Ikea stuff is cheap.

Only explanation I can think of. I know some of us are high 20s+, but it does seem most are pretty young here.
You're thinking of HaloGAF.

Alienshogun said:
You aren't serious are you? You really expect a box that big to be metal? They don't even make lunch boxes, or matchbox cars out of metal anymore!
Excuse me but I expected plastic packaging at the least. And I'm not saying Bungie doesn't deserve that money... I just hoped the packaging would be a bit sturdier than cardboard so it would last much longer is all. Flaming helmets will be on ebay if need be, it's just a matter of time.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Cuban Legend said:
Excuse me but I expected plastic packaging at the least. And I'm not saying Bungie doesn't deserve that money... I just hoped the packaging would be a bit sturdier than cardboard so it would last much longer is all. Flaming helmets will be on ebay if need be, it's just a matter of time.

Ah, I could see it being plastic, others were talking about it being metal, so I figured you were in that crowd, which would be understandable since the Halo 3 LE was metal.

Alienshogun said:
Ah, I could see it being plastic, others were talking about it being metal, so I figured you were in that crowd, which would be understandable since the Halo 3 LE was metal.
Metal? Heck no, I am not from the 50's. Plastic wouldn't rust over time, is light and would survive being carried 5 miles on a bike. Metal wouldn't be light enough for me to carry home from Gamestop on my bike. Limited Edition will fit right in my backpack nice and snug so the hobos don't see it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
I'm going to need a new bookshelf for the den.

*heads to Ikea*

Happy to be of service. :D

Cuban Legend said:
Metal? Heck no, I am not from the 50's. Plastic wouldn't rust over time, is light and would survive being carried 5 miles on a bike. Metal wouldn't be light enough for me to carry home from Gamestop on my bike. Limited Edition will fit right in my backpack nice and snug so the hobos don't see it.

Watch out for the Irish too!

Yeah, I'm talkin' bout you Dani! :lol

Doodis

urk said:
We wanted it to feel something like the iPhone when you opened it, with everything in it's own sculpted compartment, safe, sound, and ultra sexy.
Does Legendary come with reception issues? If so, no sale.

Anyone know about the dimensions of this little statue? My cat helmet doesn't fit on my shelf, without being turned sideways.

2ykm2zd.jpg

I guess as long as it's not any wider than the helmet's base, it should be fine.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ajemsuhgao said:
Anyone know about the dimensions of this little statue? My cat helmet doesn't fit on my shelf, without being turned sideways.

I guess as long as it's not any wider than the helmet's base, it should be fine.

Scroll up, I already answered that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hydranockz said:
10lbs isn't a width dimension :p

No but 10 inches tall IS a dimension, so if you take photos of it and see how tall it is then reference that by it's width you have a good ballpark. :D

Plus he didn't only ask about width, he asked for dimensions, while adding emphasis on width. :D

Edit: judging from photos I would put it at about 10 inches tall, 12-14 inches wide.

big ander

Alienshogun said:
No but 10 inches tall IS a dimension, so if you take photos of it and see how tall it is then reference that by it's width you have a good ballpark. :D

Plus he didn't only ask about with, he asked for dimensions, while adding emphasis on width. :D
Too much work. Bungle, how big is it? :D

But really, seeing how big this is is making me reconsider getting Limited. I might have to upgrade.

Alienshogun said:

Plus he didn't only ask about width, he asked for dimensions, while adding emphasis on width. :D

Edit: judging from photos I would put it at about 10 inches tall, 12-14 inches wide.

Really hoping you're wrong. My shelf is only 11 inches deep :(

EDIT: There's no way it's 12 inches wide. My Nightmare snowglobe is 10 inches tall, with an 8 inch base. I don't think it's bigger than that. Still, some official measurements would be nice.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ajemsuhgao said:
Really hoping you're wrong. My shelf is only 11 inches deep :(

EDIT: There's no way it's 12 inches wide. My Nightmare snowglobe is 10 inches tall, with an 8 inch base. I don't think it's bigger than that. Still, some official measurements would be nice.

Well, if you look at the picture it looks wider than it is tall. Also it's nearly the width of the box. If you compare that to the twitter pictures shown today it very well could be 12-14 inches wide.

feel

urk just got me more excited for the Legendary edition. I love it when I buy something and all the packaging really lets you know you just bought something very premium/high quality (like the astro A40's or Apple products). In those cases I like to go very slow and savor the process. Glad I got in on the Amazon "deal" or else I would have been too cheap to spring for anything more than the Limited. But getting a regular copy on launch day, because who knows when amazon will get that thing to me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Letters said:
urk just got me more excited for the Legendary edition. I love it when I buy something and all the packaging really lets you know you just bought something very premium/high quality (like the astro A40's or Apple products). In those cases I like to go very slow and savor the process. Glad I got in on the Amazon "deal" or else I would have been too cheap to spring for anything more than the Limited. But getting a regular copy on launch day, because who knows when amazon will get that thing to me.

Not a prime member? FOR SHAME!

FourDoor

Who's knocking Ikea stuff? I've been building my office around Ikea stuff and probably double the age of some of you. :lol I still wish we got a Noble 6 helmet instead of the statue with the legendary edition.

FourDoorOffice01.jpg

FourDoorOffice03.jpg

FourDoor said:
Who's knocking Ikea stuff? I've been building my office around Ikea stuff and probably double the age of some of you. :lol I still wish we got a Noble 6 helmet instead of the statue with the legendary edition.

That would've been pretty great.

I'm not knocking Ikea - can't since I've never owned any of their stuff - I'm just observing that almost everyone at GAF seems to use it (see the game room threads), and having never bought Ikea I thought it was a funny coincidence.

feel

Alienshogun said:
Not a prime member? FOR SHAME!
I am, but they're known for not having 100% reliable release date deliveries. Plus these are some damn big boxes so I'm not taking any chances. And an extra Halo copy never hurts anyways.

FourDoor said:
The whole point of Noble 6 is customization though- he/she's YOUR character, and there'd be no way to accurate represent that in a figurine. You'd just get the base Noble 6 which is essentially a generic Spartan-III. Noble team is unique and has more recognizeable armor and character.

There was no point in having a Noble 6 helmet since the character is fully customizable even in the campaign.

The statue is the right choice, since the game is about noble team as a whole during the fall of Reach.

And since we already know what the end is going or can be, the statue serves as sort of a monument to the heroes who died on Reach - the noble team.

Some of them will certainly die along the campaign.

FourDoor

GK, no worries. Just poking fun at ourselves who do use Ikea. LOL

FilthyLies said:
The whole point of Noble 6 is customization though- he/she's YOUR character, and there'd be no way to accurate represent that in a figurine. You'd just get the base Noble 6 which is essentially a generic Spartan-III. Noble team is unique and has more recognizeable armor and character.

reach1_noble6_photo_01_dp.jpg

It would still have been pretty bad ass. Or better yet 6 versions of the Legendary edition with different helmets in each one. Imagine how many heads would have exploded from rage if that happened. :lol

FourDoor said:
Or better yet 6 versions of the Legendary edition with different helmets in each one. Imagine how many heads would have exploded from rage if that happened. :lol

I call that and raise you a Perfect Edition that has all six helmets in one box. Pickup only, see your local Microsoft Shipping Depot.

As for Amazon Prime, here's a sweet deal for those still in college (me):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Free release-date delivery on all orders.

Popeck

I heard that Microsoft offered the huge ass version of the statue (seen at E3) for the country specific divisions of the company, but it would have been a bit costly, about 20k dollars, just the statue. And of course, where would you put that kind of thing after the launch? =P

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
FilthyLies said:

The logic there is flawed since noble 6 is in the statue. :D

That said, I'm glad it isn't a helmet!

Gui_PT said:
Yeah, Noble 6 isn't in the statue. As you said, it wouldn't make sense.

Yep, that's why the whole marketing campaign lacks noble 6.

See the picture in the last page: no poster, no image of noble 6 on the cover of the game, neither is he on wallpapers, and so on.

We are noble 6.

GhaleonEB

FourDoor said:
Thanks Tashi. It gives a glimpse as to why I want my Spartan-IIIs to be able to jump like Mike. :lol

Probably already posted but I thought this fan made trailer posted on HBO was freakin awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t92rzFVwQ68
The intercutting between sources and contexts is a bit jarring, but it's very well put together otherwise. It conveys a sense of desperation and high stakes that I hope is present in the actual Reach campaign.

Top Bottom