• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

FrankT

You know, just throwing this thought out there, I bet this call was made by Bach or maybe even Ballmer personally. Mattrick just doesn't seem like the type. I say there is a good chance it was beyond his call. The Xbox brand in the last year is finally turning the corner and MS highest ups maybe seeing the light to push the 360 for and years and years to come in profit land. Microsoft moving the brand as strategically as possible sounds just like Ballmer.

Proelite

Jtyettis said:
You know, just throwing this thought out there, I bet this call was made by Bach or maybe even Ballmer personally. Mattrick just doesn't seem like the type. I say there is a good chance it was beyond his call. The Xbox brand in the last year is finally turning the corner and MS highest ups maybe seeing the light to push the 360 for and years and years to come in profit land. Microsoft moving the brand as strategically as possible sounds just like Ballmer.

Impossible, Ballmer is way too up to be controlling the announcement of a game. They maybe responsible for the vision but the implementation is all up to Don Mattrick.

Quazar said:
They talked about GTAIV content @ E3 though.

Good point, but they didnt show it, or even say what it was.
I think that was definitely the other 'big kahuna'

Either way, we'll find out in 2-3 months at whatever Microsoft event they throw.

urk said:
I love how Mattrick says he wanted to save the announcement for a more fitting venue where focus could be placed on Bungie's new title, yet earlier today he revealed that the title is indeed a Halo project in the most unceremonious way possible.

That's the part that sounds like dropping retribution and unprofesionalism to me. Thi is the first time bungies had the chance to drop a new game surprise bomb since Halo was announced, and he just took it away like a scorned child.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
urk said:
I love how Mattrick says he wanted to save the announcement for a more fitting venue where focus could be placed on Bungie's new title, yet earlier today he revealed that the title is indeed a Halo project in the most unceremonious way possible.
QFT

Frenck

Banned
There isn't a more fitting event to announce a new Halo title than E3. If it was a new IP I'd announce it at PAX or Comic Con.

Halo is too big for that. It just needs to be at E3.

Quazar

Frenck said:
There isn't a more fitting event to announce a new Halo title than E3. If it was a new IP I'd announce it at PAX or Comic Con event.

Halo is too big for that. It just needs to be at E3.

TBH Halo doesn't need any event. Really, it just doesn't.

sneaky77

nyong said:
Well, looks like I gave MS too much credit. Someone somewhere in PR should fry for this one. Not only did they give the fans a big FU, they screwed Bungie by stealing their thunder and announcing the game anyhow in the stupidest way possible. Unbelievable.

No way will this not hurt Bungie and Microsoft's relationship.

we already knew it was a halo related project..

TDG

Banned
Of course, there is a chance that what Bungie was planning to announce was not a Halo game. If it is Halo, that wouldn't explain all the superintendent stuff. Oh well, I'm sure it will become clear eventually.

Fall

As much as some dumb gamers and the folks at Penny Arcade like to claim, PAX ain't shit. Is it a lot of fun? Yes. Do they have a couple games playable that gamers want to see? Yes. Do I go every year and kick your nubbie butts in all of the PC tournaments? Yes.

Is it a place for big news and industry announcements? Nope.

Half the kids there are stinky mouth breathers who spend their time playing Final Fantasy. Seriously, Final Fantasy. The gamer masses want to see pretty explosions and know they can play 500 player multiplayer, but an announcement about a new title is better saved, from a marketing perspective, for an event MS controls and promotes.

MS will throw down at X08 (Sept-Nov, I forget when exactly) and break out the GTA4 DLC and Halo: It's not Halo once the Gears hype train is at full speed and can't be derailed on their own turf in a controlled environment. MS is using these games to promote their platform, not just sell the game itself. As big as Halo is, the Xbox is bigger.

Gspark

Fall said:
As much as some dumb gamers and the folks at Penny Arcade like to claim, PAX ain't shit. Is it a lot of fun? Yes. Do they have a couple games playable that gamers want to see? Yes. Do I go every year and kick your nubbie butts in all of the PC tournaments? Yes.

Half the kids there are stinky mouth breathers who spend their time playing Final Fantasy. Seriously, Final Fantasy. The gamer masses want to see pretty explosions and know they can play 500 player multiplayer, but an announcement about a new title is better saved, from a marketing perspective, at an event MS controls and promotes.

MS will throw down at X08 (Sept-Nov, I forget when exactly) and break out the GTA4 DLC and Halo: It's not Halo once the Gears hype train is at full speed and can't be derailed on their own turf in a controlled environment. MS is using these games to promote their platform, not just sell the game itself. As big as Halo is, the Xbox is bigger.

They did not have a X# last year if I recall why would they have one this year?

Quazar

Gspark said:
They did not have a X# last year if I recall why would they have one this year?

Because they didn't last year? Who knows really.

But shit like Forza3/GTAIV content/Splinter Cell/Bungies new game and Alan Wake missing at E3 indicates they're doing something somewhere that's for sure.

Falagard

the disgruntled gamer said:
Of course, there is a chance that what Bungie was planning to announce was not a Halo game. If it is Halo, that wouldn't explain all the superintendent stuff. Oh well, I'm sure it will become clear eventually.

I'm still convinced the SI stuff is Halo related - but I guess it would have been made clear when the reveal happened. If it was Halo related, the link would be explained in the reveal. If it wasn't, it would be explained and tied to a new game.

Eric WK

Dead Man Typing said:
Leipzig Games Convention is around the 20th of August. About a week before PAX. So no need to wait for a theoretical X08 that doesn't exist.

Yeah, I think we'll know by September.

Madman said:
Surely this is all a trick and Bungie is really revealing it's game very soon. Right? RIGHT?! :(

I would guess that PAX is the target for SOMETHING since Bungie has already mentioned it and Microsoft is a sponsor. It's at the very end of August.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
urk said:
A why did it occur to him that this was the case after generating all this unnecessary hype?

HokieJoe

Cocopjojo said:
I wouldn't want to have any ties to a company that makes unethical decisions.

Ideally that's great, but naive I think. For instance, if Ghaleon wanted to protest unethical behavior he should probably quit working for Intel. I'm not saying Intel is any worse or better than other companies in this regard. However, they're no stranger to controversy and yes their ethics have been called into question before. I don't mean this as a slight to Ghaleon or snack, but lets keep things real here folks. There's two sides to every story.

HokieJoe

JdFoX187 said:
Oh c'mon. They made an excellent FPS out of the box with great controls, a great campaign and solid multiplayer. As I said, you want me to go deeper into this, I'll do it in the Halo 3 thread. But since then, there hasn't been anything done in the Halo games that hasn't or couldn't be done in any other games by other developers.

Superficially what you say is true, but Bungie is a proven developer. Almost everything they've touched is awesome IMO.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Could it be announced at Comic-Con? I know Microsoft has stated it's pretty much primed and ready to be shown off so it could really be announced at ANY given event.

Domino Theory said:
Could it be announced at Comic-Con? I know Microsoft has stated it's pretty much primed and ready to be shown off so it could really be announced at ANY given event.

I haven't read the last few pages of this thread, but Bungie has previously stated that if you're a Bungie fan, keep an eye on the Penny Arcade Expo. It's August 29th-31st I believe, and Microsoft is one of the sponsors. I'm guessing Bungie and Microsoft will go deep and hard there.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
ToyMachine228 said:
I haven't read the last few pages of this thread, but Bungie has previously stated that if you're a Bungie fan, keep an eye on the Penny Arcade Expo. It's August 29th-31st I believe, and Microsoft is one of the sponsors. I'm guessing Bungie and Microsoft will go deep and hard there.

Well, I think they had PAX planned out ahead of time, keeping in mind that Microsoft and Bungie were to reveal their SI project during the week of E3. Obviously things have changed, so I'm assuming what they were going to show would've been something different at PAX.

But I guess it's a possibility. I just want it to be announced before PAX because I don't want to wait another month+. :(

frontieruk

5345603_d6502108d0_o.png

edited

joey_z

Banned
Maybe Stinkles cancelled it.
Remember: Stinkles = Microsoft now.
Haha. That would be pretty funny if true but impossible.

Spruchy

Fall said:

Half the kids there are stinky mouth breathers who spend their time playing Final Fantasy. Seriously, Final Fantasy. The gamer masses want to see pretty explosions and know they can play 500 player multiplayer, but an announcement about a new title is better saved, from a marketing perspective, for an event MS controls and promotes.

I present to you Heroes of the web for next week's gfw radio.

godhandiscen

I have't read the thread in a while, but I assume the majority of you guys are over this, right? I was pissed at some point (ok, really mad), but when I realize this doesn't affect the launch date of the game, then it doesn't matter if I didn't hear about the game at all yet. TBH I preffer less cock tease, and to announce a game a year or two before its launch date is too much. Bungie has done this before.

Louis Wu

Wow. So... I'm not sure where this information takes me, but I found it pretty interesting.

I was doing some Googling of Don Mattrick, and I ran across this thread on the Evil Avatar forums, back when he was leaving EA. (Seems that job didn't make gamers all that happy...) That thread contained a link to a Finance page on Yahoo, one that has expired. Archive.org to the rescue! (The comments made in the EA thread ABOUT that link made it worth digging up.)

Okay, so the guy made a FORTUNE when he left EA. (Cashed out $17 million worth of stock, bought $6 million worth of options (that are now worth double what he paid for them), etc.) So now I'm just googling for fun; this is so much money it stops actually meaning anything.

I ran across this page - the man owns a $35 million dollar house in Vancouver. $35 million! That's... just silly.

Now, it's hard to draw real ties between the man's personal finances and what he does in a professional capacity at his job... but it seems to me that anyone with THIS much money might find himself making economic decisions based on inputs that weren't purely economic. I mean... he can afford to take other stuff into account, right?

I dunno. My Google skillz aren't good enough to uncover a MOTIVE for a non-economic decision... but certainly the events of the last few days seem to point to more than just clear-headed logic.

And DAMN you can make a lot of money in the gaming industry.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Louis Wu said:
You can make a lot of money at anything when you're a high-level exec.

All of that information is pretty interesting. One of the first things I started thinking about when signs started pointing toward him being the plug-puller was the fact that he was from EA - not that he'd be making decisions that would be beneficial to EA, but the fact that EA is known for poor decision making when it comes to their IPs.

Considering he's given completely different reasons as to why Bungie was pulled (is it because of the time-factor or is it because you wanted to give Bungie a completely separate event?), there's obviously more going on that we're aware of - or will probably ever be aware of.

urk said:
That's some damn fine Internetting.
Louis Wu is the king of the internets.

Kibbles

godhandiscen said:
I have't read the thread in a while, but I assume the majority of you guys are over this, right? I was pissed at some point (ok, really mad), but when I realize this doesn't affect the launch date of the game, then it doesn't matter if I didn't hear about the game at all yet. TBH I preffer less cock tease, and to announce a game a year or two before its launch date is too much. Bungie has done this before.

Over this? Oh god no, I just lost my torch and pitchfork.

On with the destruction of Microsoft Mattrick!

Demonstration.gif

Proelite

Chillax. There is more to a man than just money.

This guy founded a game studio when he was seventeen, so I doubt that he is as salary thirsty as even Peter Moore or Reggie, both of whom came from other backgrounds. We should not judge him by his personal appearance that he not enthusiastic about gaming just because he has more of a business stature to him.

godhandiscen

Louis Wu said:
Wow. So... I'm not sure where this information takes me, but I found it pretty interesting.

I was doing some Googling of Don Mattrick, and I ran across this thread on the Evil Avatar forums, back when he was leaving EA. (Seems that job didn't make gamers all that happy...) That thread contained a link to a Finance page on Yahoo, one that has expired. Archive.org to the rescue! (The comments made in the EA thread ABOUT that link made it worth digging up.)

Okay, so the guy made a FORTUNE when he left EA. (Cashed out $17 million worth of stock, bought $6 million worth of options (that are now worth double what he paid for them), etc.) So now I'm just googling for fun; this is so much money it stops actually meaning anything.

I ran across this page - the man owns a $35 million dollar house in Vancouver. $35 million! That's... just silly.

Now, it's hard to draw real ties between the man's personal finances and what he does in a professional capacity at his job... but it seems to me that anyone with THIS much money might find himself making economic decisions based on inputs that weren't purely economic. I mean... he can afford to take other stuff into account, right?

I dunno. My Google skillz aren't good enough to uncover a MOTIVE for a non-economic decision... but certainly the events of the last few days seem to point to more than just clear-headed logic.

Whatever amount of money he has is chump change to the gross revenue of a Halo game. A decision that affects the timeframe of the reveal could change the fate of the game. You know this. What kind motives are you suggesting?
Kibbles said:
On with the destruction of Microsoft!

Demonstration.gif
I'll have to take you down then. Now you see were my allegiance ends....
jk

Top Bottom