• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout (2) series on Gamecube...

Baron

I came across Burnout 2 for Gamecube recently and began ruminating on all things Gamecube and Burnout. My life feels so much more complete when thoughts of this nature begin to jostle for position in my head.

Okay, that's a lie, I just kind of wanted to know if the Gamecube version of Burnout 2 was a decent arcade-y racer. Does it stand up to the other console versions? I only have a Gamecube right now, but have been jonesing for a fun arcade racer. I'd love to play Outrun 2 or Burnout 3, but I can't see myself buying another Xbox at this point in time, especially given the apparent selective backwards compatibility of its next iteration.

Also, Burnout 3 is EA, Burnout 2 is not.

Burnout 2 is great. Burnout 3 is definately better (imo of course, I love the after-touch and takedowns), but I'm sure you'll find a good deal on GC B2.

BuzzJive

BO2 on the cube was the first racer I got interested in since Ridge Racer on the PS. Definitely worth the price you can find it for.

ourumov

There were people here claiming that B3 would appear for the GC this spring...Well...at the end nothing :( .

Baron

I know all the Burnouts are done by Criterion, but #2 is pre-EA Criterion. I think.

I spotted a new copy of the game for $20 at a Game Rush...I think I'll spring for it.

I still go back to playing Crazy Taxi on DC whenever I need a speed fix. I kind of act out my speed-freak fantasies in driving games. It's a nice release, and I don't actually kill real people and destroy real property. How can I lose?

Burnout 2 on GC is excellent. 60FPS single player, 30fps 2 player. I've played both the xbox and Gamecube versions. The Xbox one is slightly crisper with some better textures here and there. The Gamecube one has a better feeling in the crashes and meatier sound. That may have been because my friend didn't have a sub connected to his reciever though.

Why on earth does EA still brings the need for speed franchise for GC and not the burnout series is hillarious really..........

Burnout and Burnout 2 were published by Acclaim, but the whole series has been developed by Criterion. BO2 has a great Crash Mode, arguably better than the one in BO3 depending on whether you care about online and whether you like the aftertouch mechanic. (I do, but it slows the game's pace too much.)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Warm Machine said:
Burnout 2 on GC is excellent. 60FPS single player, 30fps 2 player. I've played both the xbox and Gamecube versions. The Xbox one is slightly crisper with some better textures here and there. The Gamecube one has a better feeling in the crashes and meatier sound. That may have been because my friend didn't have a sub connected to his reciever though.

All versions are 60 fps in single play and the sound is no different between the 3 (though I believe the XBOX version offers DD5.1...so I guess there is a small difference). The PS2 and GC version look exactly the same while the XBOX version was slightly enhanced in a number of ways.

Good game, but I enjoyed BO3 much more. The physics just didn't feel solid enough in BO2...

Leatherface

dark10x said:
All versions are 60 fps in single play and the sound is no different between the 3 (though I believe the XBOX version offers DD5.1...so I guess there is a small difference). The PS2 and GC version look exactly the same while the XBOX version was slightly enhanced in a number of ways.

Good game, but I enjoyed BO3 much more. The physics just didn't feel solid enough in BO2...

One big thing you are forgetting is that the GC does have the extra crash mode tracks like the Xbox version making it >>>PS2 version. :D

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
FortNinety said:
I'm still looking for party 2 for Xbox. I hear it has the most stuff and whatnot. Seems hard to find now... Damn.

Check Blockbuster video. Everyone that I go into always seems to have tons of preplayed BO2: DC for Xbox on sale.

LakeEarth

Just got 3 and it's fun as hell. But man the elastic AI is insane. So much so that I tested it out. I took down my opponent and timed how long it'd take him to get back if I was boosting the entire time or not. And boosting only increased the amount of time for him to catch up to me by 5 seconds. Considering the fact that he shouldn't have had much boost after getting taken down, this ...well... sucks!

Still a fun game. Unlocking new cars is fun too, but I'm starting to get sick of games where you have to unlock every car. Back in the day you'd have to do tons of shit to unlock 2-5 really awesome cars, but now you have to do tons of crap to unlock the most basic of basic cars. They should have put in an 'unlock vehicles' code.

Bluemercury said:
Why on earth does EA still brings the need for speed franchise for GC and not the burnout series is hillarious really..........

EA claims that the only way to truly enjoy Burnout 3 is online, and they claim they can't make online games for GC (I guess the fact that a BBA was released for it and would work the same way as the PS2 online is only known to like 5 people) so that's why Burnout 3 isnt on GC

LakeEarth said:
Just got 3 and it's fun as hell. But man the elastic AI is insane. So much so that I tested it out. I took down my opponent and timed how long it'd take him to get back if I was boosting the entire time or not. And boosting only increased the amount of time for him to catch up to me by 5 seconds. Considering the fact that he shouldn't have had much boost after getting taken down, this ...well... sucks!

Still a fun game. Unlocking new cars is fun too, but I'm starting to get sick of games where you have to unlock every car. Back in the day you'd have to do tons of shit to unlock 2-5 really awesome cars, but now you have to do tons of crap to unlock the most basic of basic cars. They should have put in an 'unlock vehicles' code.

B4 sounds better in this regard. Agression = Progression :)

LakeEarth said:

Yeah I hear this. I've been playing it this afternoon. In a face off level, I'd takedown my opponent, and almost right away it would be saying "hes right on your tail!!". Its like the AI cars don't have any respawn time or something.

I know when we play 6 player over Live, if you get taken down 1 or 2 times in a race, thats it its over. Your seeing "Your 11 seconds behind" flash at the top of the screen for the rest of the race... all you can do is hope the guy ahead of you screws up.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Shin Johnpv said:
EA claims that the only way to truly enjoy Burnout 3 is online, and they claim they can't make online games for GC (I guess the fact that a BBA was released for it and would work the same way as the PS2 online is only known to like 5 people) so that's why Burnout 3 isnt on GC

Which is kind of a lame reason considering I own BO3 and have probably played online like a total of 3 or 4 times.

i had only played it online (xbox) a handful of times since whenever i bought it (august? whenever it came out) and i played it online a few days ago and it's a blast man. the problem is i dont have all the cars yet, so i was raped a few times by fellas with the fast cars, but EA really improved the online performance from what i remember it.

i think the reason i dont play online much is that it is not Xbox live aware. you aren't signed in automatically, you have to go to a totally different menu and it's an inconvenience.

LakeEarth

Oracle Dragon said:
I know when we play 6 player over Live, if you get taken down 1 or 2 times in a race, thats it its over. Your seeing "Your 11 seconds behind" flash at the top of the screen for the rest of the race... all you can do is hope the guy ahead of you screws up.
Unlike the CPU "You are 12 seconds behind.... no wait, there he is". I swear to god it once said the guy was 12/13 seconds ahead while I could see him not very far away a second later.

GSG Flash said:
Which is kind of a lame reason considering I own BO3 and have probably played online like a total of 3 or 4 times.

yeah I agree with you there

it's deffinetly a BS excuse and it really doesnt make much sense to me either specially for a big multiplatform release I don't know if 3 does but 2 used renderware and if your using middleware like that it has got to be dirt ass cheap to bring it to another platform when your allready bringing it to 2 of them

I remember rumors that the new Timesplitters might not have shown up on GC for the same reason but from what I understand freeradical likes the system and wanted the game on there

AssMan

Banned
Why do some people here say BO2 is better than BO3? Can anyone give out examples, because I played BO3 at a friend's house last night and the game was fun as hell.

AssMan said:
Why do some people here say BO2 is better than BO3? Can anyone give out examples, because I played BO3 at a friend's house last night and the game was fun as hell.

The overall skill level required in Burnout 2 is higher. This is mostly because the act of simply driving down the street doesn't increase your boost meter like it seems to in Burnout 3. As well, you can't engage the boost unless the entire meter has been filled where as in BO3 you can use whatever you have.

Other things such as the cornering is better in BO2. You have to actually take turns somewhat strategically. In Burnout 3 you can pretty well grind the walls to get around a corner.

ZILLION

LakeEarth said:
Unlike the CPU "You are 12 seconds behind.... no wait, there he is". I swear to god it once said the guy was 12/13 seconds ahead while I could see him not very far away a second later.

I was playing in one of the faceoff races once and had 3 takedowns in 20-30 seconds. It was great until I realized that the rival car had teleported across the lake and was waiting for me on the side of the road around the next corner. Once I passed by him he was immediately at full speed and right on my tail. I just coudln't take the racing aspectt of the game seriously after that. Crash mode is still great though.

Burnout 2 has a much more exciting boost system than Burnout 3. Split screen head to head racing is also much better in Burnout 2. The crash modes in both are great for different reasons.

Top Bottom