• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout creators spin off Crash Mode into its own game, Danger Zone

Pandy

my personal favorite Crash Mode was in Burnout 2.

I thought Burnout 3 was a step down when they started introducing all the pickups

but I love Crash Mode, so I'll still buy this

Similar feelings here, 3 was where I lost touch with the series despite playing the first two games to death.

So no Xbox version

Devs commented about it on Reddit, the thread was a total shit show.

Link to thread if anyone wants a laugh and to be frustrated that people don't understand who games are made.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/67u635/burnout_developers_danger_zone_not_coming_to_xbox/

Pretty much.

Alex Creative Director
Let's have some facts for once.

We did our first game on Xbox. "No problem" you say. Hardly. We use Unreal Engine. It was spectacularly challenging to get our physics heavy title to even run on Xbox at all for a LONG time. We had to wade through masses of issues working with both MS and Epic to optimise UE to run properly on Xbox One.

It took one person MONTHS of work and HOURS of personal time (evenings and weekends) to get the game to run in memory and at framerate. In a big company with 000's of staff this is no problem.

Most big teams (and we used to run them for over a decade) would assign a least TEN people ALONE just to a single platform. In a small team it's simply not possible feasible viable or FUN to spend THAT LONG trying to get the game to run. Xbox One has a much slower CPU than a PS4 or a PC.

Multi platform development in a small team is HARD. Ask any game programmer. Single SKU is far easier.

For a first game we bit the bullet and saw it through. But we all agreed that going forward it would not be the right approach going forward. So we're releasing this new game on PC and PS4. It took a week to get running on PS4 - in memory and at framerate.

It MAY be possible to do the same on Xbox but we'll do what we used to do way back when (2001 and 2002) and focus on what we CAN do well.

If the game finds an audience then we'll investigate the viability of bringing the game to Xbox One. There are new tools coming towards the end of the year which might make this task easier.

If it was, trust me, we'd be all over it.

MissChief

I loved this mini game in the burnout series, it gave a bit diversity to the gameplay. But to only play this mode, seems boring ...

but as burnout fan ... waiting for reviews :)

Psykoboy2

I loved this mini game in the burnout series, it gave a bit diversity to the gameplay. But to only play this mode, seems boring ...

but as burnout fan ... waiting for reviews :)

Well, they are kind of selling it like a mode-only sort of thing. $13 seems like an easy threshold to cross for a bit of Burnout back into my gaming library. And hopefully support them on doing something bigger down the line.

Stiler

I loved burnout but where's the damage? It looks like the dmg model consists mainly of a model "swap" between a normal one and then a burned-out model when you hit something.

The entire appeal of "crashing" in Burnout was how realistic the damage model looking with cars buckling in and things breaking apart in slow motion.

Hope I'm wrong, or they work on better more realistic damage modeling for the future.

Top Bottom