• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Danger Zone 2 is the next step toward the Burnout successor we've been waiting for

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Video shows Xbox One X gameplay in its 4K30 mode and its 1080p60 mode, similar to Danger Zone, which Rich feels gives the game even more similarities with the Burnout series.

Article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...o-the-burnout-successor-weve-been-waiting-for

Video:

Excerpts:
''Some of the particular hallmarks of the engine are noticeable: over and above the signature way that materials and lighting are rendered, UE4's excellent temporal anti-aliasing is deployed, smoothing off the edges and providing scalability on the lower-end builds of the game. Similar to the way Fortnite presents across multiple platforms, the base Xbox One version looks similar to the top-end X release - just somewhat blurrier with a target 900p resolution (expect 1080p on PS4 and circa-1500p on Pro). Other Fortnite tech is also used in Danger Zone 2 - Epic's tree imposter technique is also used, swapping out GPU-intensive geometry for simpler, but uncannily similar shapes when viewed at a distance. GPU-accelerated particles also serve to emphasise collisions, checking and side-swiping.

Also present is UE4's recently introduced dynamic resolution scaler, aimed at trading pixels for performance where needed. However, on Xbox One X at least, optimisation was based on a native 4K output, with DRS only added at the end of development. Physics are entirely CPU-driven, so in common with Dangerous Golf and the first Danger Zone, this is a 30Hz experience on all consoles bar Xbox One X, which has an optional unlocked performance mode that while not perfectly consistent, effectively trades physical resolution for temporal, offering a smoother ride and an experience that is closer to the feel of the original Burnout.''
More at the link. It also mentions Dangerous Driving, which will be even more eyed towards Burnout than just the Crash mode only.

Personal thoughts:
Unreal Engine 4 proves why the middleware is used by literally millions of people - To give everyone a chance to do AAA development for a very low price. Danger Zone 2 demonstrates this perfectly: Whilst you can clearly tell that the game uses UE4, enough has been altered to mimic what made crashes in Burnout so good pretty accurately. Danger Zone 2 screams fun and i hope that, together with Dangerous Driving and the first Danger Zone, this will get a physical release.

Last edited:

Redshirt

Banned
The first Danger Zone was a great concept, but it fell flat for me.

Didn't realize DZ2 was out already. Will give it a shot at some point.

Bought. It’s awesome. A little bare bones but what three fields is doing with the dangerous series is funding the finale which is dangerous driving. DZ2 takes the crash lab from danger zone and takes things back on the open road as we’re used to with the burnout series. I think the game does just what it’s supposed to in giving you a taste of what’s to come. There are 3 regions with 7-8 levels each. Some have run up to crash junctions and others are destruction/objective based.

I thought the game was already a good buy but then I unlocked the bonus area. I take it’s a sneak peek of what they’re going for with the full release but the main draw for me was boost chaining. The last level is a 3 lap curcuit run through part of the city/highway where the goal is to get the fastest time/longest boost chain without crashing. I haven’t had so much fun with a racer since fzero GX. it’s FAST.

[edit] just played another course and another nice upgrade is the ability to check traffic directionally. If you want the car you’re checking to slam into something or just check to the right is B, and to the left it’s X. Playing on PC.

If you’re a fan of criterion’s burnout then this ones a must. $20 and you’re supporting the release of the full experience which is due in October I believe. I’ve purchased both dangerous golf and danger zone and never got around to finishing them but this one I actually completed in a sitting because it was so good. Jumped back in today to up my standings in the world ranked leaderboard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom