• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout Legends (DS) - IGN Reviews - Awesome!!

koam

http://ds.ign.com/articles/673/673092p1.html

Presentation
When you can't even get traffic into Crash Mode, you know that the project is a wash.
Graphics
It runs at 60 FPS, but the camera system's wonky and there's very little going on in the environments. At least we got the classic Burnout tracks! Yay!
Sound
No licensed music, which is mostly due to EA saving a dime or two. Instead, enjoy some ear-piercing guitar wanging.
Gameplay
Poor driving engine, horrible collision detection, and extremely bug-ridden gameplay. And it's piggybacking on Criterion's success?
Lasting Appeal
Single cartridge multiplayer extends the length if you can handle the wonky driving gameplay, and the single player progression isn't short. You just need patience.
Bad
OVERALL

Here are the closing comments
Sometimes you just have to know when to cut your losses. And Burnout on the DS? This should have been on the cutting block the moment the development team realized that the experience couldn’t even come close. The only positive that can be said about this game: at least it runs at 60 frames per second. We’ve played some bad racing games, but Burnout Legends takes the cake. Really.

EDIT: For the record, I Criterion did NOT make this turd afaik.

After checking out those videos......i can't believe this utter piece of trash get released.

The 1st-gen DS racers even destroy this.

ngbbs432d0563641b67cx.jpg

4.0 Presentation
Even with the different races, cars, and challenges to unlock, it's incredibly easy to get lost due to lazy menu systems. There's very little fanfare after a win to get excited and move on.
5.5 Graphics
A tremendous step back from Underground 2 on the DS. It's still a smooth 30 FPS, but these are some of the blandest car textures ever. Play in first person mode and it looks acceptable. Barely.
4.5 Sound
Generic hip-hop lacks heart, and in some cases will drive you batty. Car horns and engines are not the real deal.
4.0 Gameplay
Chunky steering control makes things feel entirely robotic. Computer AI opponents can't hide their artificial behavior...they follow some really rigid paths.
5.5 Lasting Appeal
If you can withstand the bland, sluggish gameplay, there's enough challenge here to last an acceptable amount of time.
Poor OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

need-for-speed-most-wanted-20051104091923122.jpg

vs

burnout-legends-20051114033114149.jpg

And yet the scores disagree with my eyes.

Im confused.

Hm, I watched the burnout videos, and it does suck.

And then I watched the NFS:MW videos and was startled by the popup and blinded by the sharp corners.

Im still confused at the scores.

jamesinclair said:
Hm, I watched the burnout videos, and it does suck.

And then I watched the NFS:MW videos and was startled by the popup and blinded by the sharp corners.

Im still confused at the scores.

Graig just wanted some attention. He knew an out of left field score like this would make GAF go banannas, and guess what?

He was right.

Best games on ds are games made for that system ground up. Ports never work out i dont feel. You just ave to see how much mk owns the other ported racers to know this.

jamesinclair said:
Id prefer some consistency though.

Again

need-for-speed-most-wanted-20051104091923887.jpg

at 30fps
=

vs

burnout-legends-20051114033119384.jpg

at 60 fps
=

Just look at the videos though man, the game is just broken horribly.

I think this is the only instance on the DS where the screenshots look better than the game in motion.

Drensch

Why can't they do a game on the Beetle Adventure Racing engine, or WDC or one of the other great n64 racers?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
EA should just publish one game for the DS a year, this year would've done nicely with just Fifa 06. Then the next year they could just publish one more game rehashing the good one from the previous year and concentrating on making another good one to released that year.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
:lol :lol I can't believe Most Wanted beat out Burnout on graphics. Bizarro world only on DS!

happyfunball said:
Just look at the videos though man, the game is just broken horribly.

I think this is the only instance on the DS where the screenshots look better than the game in motion.

And now go watch the NFS:MW video and tell me its better.

With a straight face.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
:lol :lol

Those videos are funny as hell. I can't BELIEVE how horrible that looks in motion. At the start of the second video, for some reason, the player got a "signature takedown"...but it was just some blue piece of shit (a car, I think) slowly clipping through the track. That looks and sounds nothing like Burnout...

Why did they even bother?

And now go watch the NFS:MW video and tell me its better.
Nope, you're right...they both look beyond terrible. Like something I might have played on 3DO or something. Both games look as if you are just moving random piles of colored crap around a track.

Oh, and the music...whoa. They should have just left the music out of both games. :\

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
These low budget GBA teams are churning out some horrible DS games. Is anyone besides Nintendo and Square-Enix really allowing premier teams on the DS???

dark10x

Soul4ger said:
This game has, by far, the best crash physics I have ever witnessed.
We need some animated gifs of those glorious physics at work.

*blue thing floats slowly through air then proceeds to merge with mountain*

Awesome

Soul4ger

I love when the car goes under the water, and it's like.. Nothing ever happened. There's just a blue texture floating in air, to represent water, and the car just continues to slide down the slope.

Jiggy

How in the world does this have an 8.8 reader average?

Shikamaru Ninja said:
These low budget GBA teams are churning out some horrible DS games. Is anyone besides Nintendo and Square-Enix really allowing premier teams on the DS???
Capcom.
And hopefully Namco.

dark10x

Soul4ger said:
I love when the car goes under the water, and it's like.. Nothing ever happened. There's just a blue texture floating in air, to represent water, and the car just continues to slide down the slope.
Oh yeah, that was one of my favorites. It just sorta...slid in there like a plastic brick. The water may as well have been a wall, though, as the walls in the game all seem to work much like the water (you just...slide through them).

WindyMan

Games like this prove that a publisher will go to any lengths to ensure a hot franchise is available on a successful system.

Bash the DS all you want, but it's EA's fault for wanting Burnout on the system, no matter how shitty the game turned out to be.

Top Bottom