• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bush to Seek About $80 Bln for Military Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

http://olympics.reuters.com/printerFriendlyPopup.jhtml?type=politicsNews&storyID=7413977

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Bush administration plans to announce as early as Tuesday that it will seek about $80 billion in new funding for military operations this year in Iraq and Afghanistan, administration and congressional sources said on Monday.

The new supplemental budget request would come on top of the $25 billion in emergency spending already approved for the current fiscal year, and will push total 2005 funding for military operations and equipment close to a record $105 billion, the sources said on Monday.

Up to $650 million is expected to be included in the package to fund humanitarian aid, reconstruction efforts and military operations in Asian countries devastated by last month's tsunami, congressional aides said.
GO BUSH!!!! DEFEND FREEDOM!!!!

kumanoki

80 billion. Dollars. 80 billion. For war.

And only 650 million for humanitarian aid?

:(

I can't type the sad face enough.

goodcow

Tommie Hu$tle said:
Man I wonder who is going to pay for all this?

children.jpg

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
And I bet we'll spend even less on education. So overall intelligence decreases while military power increases w00t!

It's hard to get excited about spending to defend a nation that increasingly disgusts me

kumanoki

With eighty billion dollars, we could've ended hunger in the U.S., provided more-than-adequate schooling for every child, repaired the damage done in Florida and California, etc., etc.

:(

It's like winning the suck lottery.

judy woodruff had senate minority leader harry reid on "inside politics" today and was basically lambasting him because he was against the cutting of "humanatarian" funds that so many americans use each and every day.

this fucking bitch pulled out the, "well, you criticized the president for having defecits, and now he's trying to fix the problem, and you're not willing to cut some projects -- isn't that a bit of a contradiction?"

i nearly wanted to get up off the couch and punch her illuminated ass.

Pimpwerx

Will this put the total for the war over $200 billion yet? We will spend over a quarter of a TRILLION dollars on Iraq before the end of next year. And I bet you that total is a hell of a lot higher when you factor in what part of the defense budget's retarded $400B pork barrel bonanza is being spent there already. We spend more on war than we do on peace. I got called a hippy peacenik dove for slagging this war off in early 2003. HA! Sucks to be right sometimes. To put it in perspective,

Education is increasing from $55.7B to $57.3B from 2004-5. A 3% increase.
Defense is increasing from $375.3 to $401.7B from 2004-5. A 7.1% increase.

The defense budget got bumped by half the total education budget. And it's a bigger percent increase no less. Realistically, only Soc. Security and Medicare eat up more of our budget, and those serve a hell of a lot more people than the 3M idiots employed by the military. If $400B a year isn't enough to take care of our military, maybe it's not worth having one. Oh, but god forbid we do that, the Commies will attack. :rollies: Take a look at the budget and where the cuts are taking place. Agriculture and the like are all gonna get shorted.

This is the new priority list for this country:
overview-1.jpg

And I see the administration is still using pie-in-the-sky math to pretend the budget deficit will disappear miraculously:
overview-2.jpg

:( :( :( Civilization is the ultimate loser here.

BTW, am I the only person disturbed by the continued praise of the military as heroes? I mean, ABC had some reach around story today about the military installing plumbing and stuff like that. I'm like, no fucking shit. When you break something, you're sometimes expected to fix it. The post-war cleanup isn't some humanitarian mission. It's fixing the damage we did, and we're not doing a good job of that either. When will we start calling a spade a spade? War is stupid. People who perpetuate it are the worst kind of evil imagineable. And what's saddest of all, the douches behind this one are fucking chickenhawk cowards. I don't view soldiers as heroes. I find nothing glamarous about war. Military weaponry is cool as hell, but just for the engineering of it. The application is disgusting. PEACE.

EDIT: Oh yeah, they should stop calling it "discretionary" spending now. There's absolutely no discretion. Congress won't stop it, they approve this stuff to get funding for their own pet projects. Our government is not one for or of the people.

Pimpwerx said:
BTW, am I the only person disturbed by the continued praise of the military as heroes? I mean, ABC had some reach around story today about the military installing plumbing and stuff like that. I'm like, no fucking shit. When you break something, you're sometimes expected to fix it. The post-war cleanup isn't some humanitarian mission. It's fixing the damage we did, and we're not doing a good job of that either. When will we start calling a spade a spade? War is stupid. People who perpetuate it are the worst kind of evil imagineable. And what's saddest of all, the douches behind this one are fucking chickenhawk cowards. I don't view soldiers as heroes. I find nothing glamarous about war. Military weaponry is cool as hell, but just for the engineering of it. The application is disgusting. PEACE.

To a certian extent yeah, there are heroes and villians in everything. For example that kid who killed that cop in Cali was a "hero" before he did that. I'm sure nothing changed in his personality make up. By and large from the guys that I work around they have an honest to goodness belief that in America and they want to protect America. I think many of them are dissapointed that they are being used in a situation that has no "end game" no victory as it were. The military's issue is that they are paid to do not to think. They trust that the thinking has been done from the top is correct, they don't question the rightness or wrongness of it and maybe they should but, once you have a military that questions the leadership you don't have an effective military. Heroes and villans work for a simple minded folk and it keep the morale back home up. Morale here is always going to be the same and I don't think the government or the citizens at home personally care how military personnel feel. People at home feel like they are doing the soliders a favor if they say they support the troops. The don't realize that supporting the troops means to insure that the troops are used judiciously and with a clear cut goal. They can meet any goal it just has to be defined clearly.

Phoenix

Maybe now the military will get all those refitted vehicles that we were supposed to be getting them with that first windfall of money.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Tommie Hu$tle said:
People at home feel like they are doing the soliders a favor if they say they support the troops. The don't realize that supporting the troops means to insure that the troops are used judiciously and with a clear cut goal. They can meet any goal it just has to be defined clearly.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom