• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. officials - Israel wants up to $5 billion in annual military aid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag

AIPAC does send thousands of volunteers to lobby their representatives in Washington each and every year. I can't think of any group besides the NRA who has that level of grass-roots mobilization in the US.

I don't think it's AIPAC that is responsible for the funding amounts. By that logic, other recipents of aid like Egypt and Jordan would also need to have massive lobbying campaigns as well.

uKcVN9E.png

To a certain degree, but the kids in the documentary seemed like they were bible belters from the midwest or the south, and I'm not sure how close their family ties to Israel can be.

The kids in the documentary are not the driving force behind US/Israeli relations. Pretty much every American politician or business leader is going to know someone, an advisor or bureaucrat or whatever, who has ties to Israel.

I thought Israeli aid was just another government welfare program to keep defense contractors in business...Also its hilarious that most of the educated democrat Jews dont support this whereas the Tea party does.

Yet, I'm sure our supposed "conservative" congress members will have no problem with whatever sum it ends up being. "Support Israel" has become this mantra no matter the costs/consequences.

Bowdz

Just FYI to those uniformed, this is how much NASA's own internal, bloated cost analysis pegged a Mars Direct style mission when they examined it in the 90s.

So the choice is pay Israel money that they don't need or give that money to NASA and go to Mars by 2025.

I thought Israeli aid was just another government welfare program to keep defense contractors in business...Also its hilarious that most of the educated democrat Jews dont support this whereas the Tea party does.

Yet, I'm sure our supposed "conservative" congress members will have no problem with whatever sum it ends up being. "Support Israel" has become this mantra no matter the costs/consequences.

Because supporting Israel no matter what it does will make Jesus come back faster.

The kids in the documentary are not the driving force behind US/Israeli relations.

I realize that. But it's a phenomenon that exists. Whether the religious aspect plays any role at a political level is up for debate, I guess. I did say it was probably down to lobbying at a political level. And family and friendship ties to a certain degree.

US weapons manufacturers get a customer with lots of money to spend ~

So US gives money to Israel
Israel uses that money to buy arms from US
US gets their own money back, but have supplied arms.

What is the US to gain from this? They're giving them free arms.

Fuchsdh

I don't think it's AIPAC that is responsible for the funding amounts. By that logic, other recipents of aid like Egypt and Jordan would also need to have massive lobbying campaigns as well.

uKcVN9E.png

I didn't mean to imply Israel gets aid and so much of it solely because of AIPAC lobbying, but every time they send their volunteers to talk with representatives sustaining or increasing the appropriation for Israel is one of the main talking points they reinforce. If you have well-heeled, vocal constituents saying to keep the truck going, you keep the truck going.

The fact that funding goes anywhere at all is much more broadly a focus on the US's prerogatives. Hence why we give lots of money to the friendly and moderate and stable monarchy of Jordan, and try to prop up the Egyptians.

Considering how harmless the Muslim world is really to America (In the grand scheme), I find this bluster hilarious. I wonder what the world's reception will be when there is no more Palestine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom