• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. officials - Israel wants up to $5 billion in annual military aid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

It started since the Cold War, Israel was US friendly, neighbouring countries where Soviet friendly.

Cooperation has continued 'till this day.
I would less call it cooperation and more like a parent and it's spoiled whiny teenage kid that bullies his foster-brother who lives under the staircase.

jett

D-Member
One U.S. official said the Obama administration was unlikely to fully meet the Israeli request, and predicted the sides would settle for an annual sum of between $4 billion and $5 billion.

Seriously?

AP90

We should just say no..

Edit:
If instead were to give 5 states 1 billion for infrastructure every year for the next 10years...or put that money into the highways fund.

Or schools
Or education
Or nasa
Or....the list can go on and on.

So many right options available

Kinyou

One U.S. official said the Obama administration was unlikely to fully meet the Israeli request, and predicted the sides would settle for an annual sum of between $4 billion and $5 billion.

After that shit Netanjahu pulled they should get less, not more... What kind of relationship is this

Blader

Kind of makes Israel look weak and helpless, doesn't it? Like they can't get by without constantly hitting up the U.S. for money.

Chariot

Kind of makes Israel look weak and helpless, doesn't it? Like they can't get by without constantly hitting up the U.S. for money.
Not only money. Political support that makes western countries deal favourably with Israel. Nobody is as much a servant to Israel as the US is, but I know we germans sell Israel all kinds of weapons without question. Like the subs we finance to a third that they openly modify to have nuclear capability.

Fuchsdh

Why does the US even put up with Israel's shit at this point? The work of lobbyists?

AIPAC does send thousands of volunteers to lobby their representatives in Washington each and every year. I can't think of any group besides the NRA who has that level of grass-roots mobilization in the US.

here is a map of US aid investment

1-countries-scaled-to-economic-aid-from-usa-a800.jpg

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Doesn't matter much, but note that the money for the most part must be used for purchasing from american companies.
I distinctly remember how, in the army, it was far easier to get funds for something if you could buy american equipment (moreso than local one) but ymmv.

I honestly dont know why/how Israel and the US are so close. Can soneone fill me in?

Obviously they're closely tied politically, with Israel's huge lobbying power. Netanyahu gets these massive standing ovations when he address the US congress. They go on for like 10/15 minutes. Everyone just stands there and applauds. It's bizarre.

There is also a weird religious thing going on. I watched a Louis Theroux documentary on Israel, and American tourists take these guided tours with heavy security around the occupied areas where Israel is expanding illegally. Basically just to show their support for God's chosen people. Young Christian Americans go over there for long periods at a time to help out settlers. Theroux interviews them and they speak about Israel is this incredibly reverent tone.

It's all very weird. There's this strain of something that flows through American society that creates this bond with Israel, but I'm not entirely sure what the origin of it is, or what keeps it going.

Obviously they're closely tied politically, with Israel's huge lobbying power. Netanyahu gets these massive standing ovations when he address the US congress. They go on for like 10/15 minutes. Everyone just stands there and applauds. It's bizarre.

There is also a weird religious thing going on. I watched a Louis Theroux documentary on Israel, and American tourists take these guided tours with heavy security around the occupied areas where Israel is expanding illegally. Basically just to show their support for God's chosen people. Young Christian Americans go over there for long periods at a time to help out settlers. Theroux interviews them and they speak about Israel is this incredibly reverent tone.

It's all very weird. There's this strain of something that flows through American society that creates this bond with Israel, but I'm not entirely sure what the origin of it is, or what keeps it going.

I think the Christian thing is grossly over exaggerated. When I was there I met a ton of people who lived in the US, had studied in the US, had relatives in the US. Netanyahu lived in the US and studied at MIT and Harvard. Not only do many have a strong connection with the US through business or family but they love the US and that is reciprocated.

Kysen

"We need lower taxes, cut spending and entitlements and less government. Oh we need to spend more on the military and give Israel more aid!"

I think the Christian thing is grossly over exaggerated. When I was there I met a ton of people who lived in the US, had studied in the US, had relatives in the US. Netanyahu lived in the US and studied at MIT and Harvard. Not only do many have a strong connection with the US through business or family but they love the US and that is reciprocated.

To a certain degree, but the kids in the documentary seemed like they were bible belters from the midwest or the south, and I'm not sure how close their family ties to Israel can be.

Machina

Banned
I just imagine the phone call Netanyahu got from certain Congresspeople:

"Hey Benjamin, ahhh could you do us a favor, we need a reason to give our military contractors more government money, can you ask for 50 billion worth of weapons? That would definitely help to suppress those terrorists."

Valhelm

contribute something
Why does the US even put up with Israel's shit at this point? The work of lobbyists?

Israel pursues Middle Eastern policies that Republicans wish they could. In addition, there's the issue that most of Israel's neighbors want it to be violently destroyed.

Lobbyists play a huge role, but not the primary role.

Darkangel

I remember reading that part of the reason America gives out military aid is because it essentially locks the receiving country into the American military ecosystem. A country like Egypt might receive a billion dollars in funding, but they are forced to use it to buy American products like the M1 Abrams. They're then stuck paying the United States to service and maintain these high tech weapons.

Iran's F-14 fleet got gimped after they broke up with the United States. There's usually a strategic objectives behind most foreign aid. That being said I think Israel already gets enough considering it's essentially a stable, first world country.

funkypie

Banned
For people wondering why the USA loves Israel so much, it all started with the death of Kennedy who's Middle East policy would have brought peach to the region. He was murdered and replaced by that moron Lyndon b Johnson who was so pro Israeli/Zionist it was borderline insane.

Chariot

Btw. this is kinda important, but which presidental candiates would do something against the situation with Israel? Trump got his wall idea from them and Hillary wants to give Israel MORE money.

Opto

Banned
It's sure going to be embarrassing when the gaza strip becomes a completely uninhabitable wasteland and Americans realize they played a hand in it.

Just kidding, Americans won't give a fuuuuuuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom