• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buyer Beware: Buying a Sony 4K TV for you 4K gaming needs; Adds Incredible Lag

I was hesitant in pulling the trigger at the Amazon deal so I checked up a lot on the Sony X800D specs. I did not see the lag mentioned anywhere on the sony model but the nits comparison (for HDR) against the Samsung KS7000 (ks8000 us model) made me decide on shelling out a bit more and go for that one.

Glad I made the right choice.

X800d and KS8000 are both great for the respective price ranges.

I'd recommend the x800d wholeheartedly of someone wanted a 40ish inch TV. If someone wanted 50ish+, KS8000 all the way.

Unknown?

Look Im a Sony fan, but its more like SOny has the agenda not me or others. They are they ones suppressing the information on their official forums.

You should always research your TV before buying. I singled out Sony because of their actions, if another TV manufacture is doing that ad it to the thread please

Oh I see on their forums. Well it's not being suppressed here so and the information is already here so I don't see why you had to go warrior status. This is info many of us who actually care know.

BHK3

Banned
If you are happy with it, let it go.
What if you suddenly discover that your TV has 60ms of input lag?
I had an old Sony 720p bravia that I would specifically play street fighter on because my current Panasonic had a delay I would notice. I just want to know so I can get a TV with lower input lag while still having the bells and whistles.

The Goat

Exactly. People have been complaining about the input lag on the LG OLEDB6. I just bought one last week and have been gaming on it in 4K - some games in HDR. It's fine, and the image looks spectacular.

Yep. Same here. Notice no difference in any game so far. Only thing I've noticed is that Xbox one s can run 12-bit rgb without any problems. Ps4pro flickers like mad using rgb. Gears looks and plays great in HDR on the B6, as does every other game.

Input Lag has got to be the shittiest thing to ever happen to TVs.

Boy do I miss the times when you didn't have to EVER factor this in the buying of a TV.

How the fuck is it not possible to bring this down below 10ms?! What would need to be in there for this to happen? Faster processors? More memory? What?

How could TVs from the 1960's have ZERO input lag and in two thousand fucking sixteen, we can't even get this right?

Justified

Oh I see on their forums. Well it's not being suppressed here so and the information is already here so I don't see why you had to go warrior status. This is info many of us who actually care know.

Well I assumed it would be good discussion here.

My intent wasnt to go "warrior status". It was more in response to people with the "nothing to see here attitude" or coming at me for making the thread. Perhaps it was all "Poe's Law" though

killroy87

After the patch: 4K HDR with down considerably, but not 4K (non HDR)

Sony X850D 2016
1080p @ 60Hz 34.6 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 34.6 ms
4k @ 60Hz 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR 57.4 ms

Sony X930D 2016
1080p @ 60Hz 36.2 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 36.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz  59.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 59.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR 58.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR 58.5 ms

HDR only though

For the majority of people, those numbers are completely acceptable.

X800D seems more than fine. Just do a bit of research before you buy.

Also, why act like this is just a Sony thing? There are dozens of TV manufacturers out there. Buyer beware? Lol.

Yea, I came into the thread worried that my new 49 X800D that was literally just delivered was a mistake and that the numbers I had researched were somehow wrong. Looks like there are no issues with some models and like you say, this is NOT just a Sony thing as most manufacturers have some issues with this on some models.

Kickz

OP claims all Sony TVs and has the 800D in his first post that clearly has good input lag comparatively. Wtf?

Also why single out one brand? Almost all 4K HDR TVs are bad for this.

Because Sony also makes the PS4k so you would think they would have their shit together???

And still 9/10 users won't notice anything.

And the other 1/10 can happily avoid them like the plague. Considering how good Sony's TV's were in the 1080p 'generation' these results are highly disappointing. I haven't owned a Samsung TV for almost 10 years, and it's what I'm planning on buying when I upgrade to 4K.

Come on, all those people seeing no difference between 30FPS and 60FPS will notice input lag now ?

Seriously I don't know how folks can't tell between 30fps and 60fps that personally just boggles my mind.

On topic:

The OP is right. Considering that their last proper flagship 1080p sets back in 2013 the KDL-55W900a and KDL-55W802A had such low input lag in game mode -17 and 16.9 milliseconds if I recall correctly- their 2015 and 2016 sets have been completely atrocious. The millisecs posted in the OP are actually the numbers after the firmware upgrade.

I'm use to playing on my w802a and I can feel the lag when playing on a tv with high input lag. And those numbers are just way too high for my own liking.

And yes many folks who even notice and those are usually the folks who get the BF deals. For folks who do care and notice do your research.

I'll say this, especially during the past couple of days frequenting the "buying a 4K set for PS4K" thread, many folks on here have done little to no research on these tvs and so early on it's a complete and utter minefield out there.

People, do your research, take some time that way you can buy accordingly and get more bang for your buck. My friend out in Tennessee recently got a 70inch Vizio -E series I believe- for about $800 and thinks he got a steal. He got a dud. Don't be my friend out in Tennessee.

Because Sony also makes the PS4k so you would think they would have their shit together???

The lack of interdepartmental cooperation within Sony is astonishing tbh. As someone whose last 4 tvs have been Sony sets it sucked to realize that for this year Samsung was the way to go for the tv that I wanted and criteria I had set for myself.

JP

Clearly somebody who has an excellent understanding of the "PS4K" and how "shit comes together" in relation to 4K/HDR. :)

DBT85

I'll have to see. I got my XD93 today.

Bunch of posts in the thread on avforums asking about lag and plenty of replies saying they've seen no issue with BF1 or COD.

Those of course aren't HDR.

TBh I'm even tempted to stump up for the tester thing to see how it goes.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Incredible lag? Highest value there is just over 1/10th of a second.

Anything less than that is not noticeable for 99% of people.
100ms is insanely noticeable TV lag, when you consider it's on top of already at least 100ms input lag from the console game itself. Try playing an FPS game with a motion flow enabled - motion interpolation in 1080p TVs usually produces about 100ms lag - then tell me you think that's not noticeable. It literally like, you move the right stick, waaait for it, ah there, it moved!

After the patch: 4K HDR with down considerably, but not 4K (non HDR)

Sony X850D 2016
1080p @ 60Hz 34.6 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 34.6 ms
4k @ 60Hz 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR 57.4 ms

Sony X930D 2016
1080p @ 60Hz 36.2 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 36.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz  59.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 59.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR 58.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR 58.5 ms

HDR only though

So lets say 35ms is acceptable and 59ms is not. What does that actually translate into real world missed frames? Also, it's interesting to note that 35ms is now thought to be good when a couple years ago it would be considered average when Sony was making TVs with <19ms

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. I tried one of those reaction time test things and my response time was well over 300ms.

ZOONAMI

Sony shouldn't be deleting posts but you are posting information that isn't really accurate as firmware upgrades have cut most of these #s. I can see why Sony would delete erroneous information.

Also, the lag on the x800d is among the best on the market, and the x850d really isn't bad.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
100ms is insanely noticeable TV lag, when you consider it's on top of already at least 100ms input lag from the console game itself. Try playing an FPS game with a motion flow enabled - motion interpolation in 1080p TVs usually produces about 100ms lag - then tell me you think that's not noticeable. It literally like, you move the right stick, waaait for it, ah there, it moved!

You'd think you were in a post about LG OLED's or something.

Justified

OP's grossly misinformed. 33ms is perfectly fine.

You are the 3rd person to just skip right over the "How things should work" part

So lets say 35ms is acceptable and 59ms is not. What does that actually translate into real world missed frames?

it matters in competitive, and fast pace game.

Remember that time E-40 was high at the baseball game. Yea its similar to that (not as bad though lol)

iPUtp7b.gif

DBT85

So lets say 35ms is acceptable and 59ms is not. What does that actually translate into real world missed frames? Also, it's interesting to note that 35ms is now thought to be good when a couple years ago it would be considered average when Sony was making TVs with <19ms

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. I tried one of those reaction time test things and my response time was well over 300ms.

Well, at 60fps 1 frame is 16.6ms.

1fr = 16.6
2fr = 33.3
3fr = 50
4fr = 66.6

Some notice it, others either don't, or don't know why it feels like it does and assume its the game.

I've been playing a lot of Velocity2x the last week and something felt weird so I changed my old LG LM670t to game mode and everything was perfect again. I must have changed it for something.

When avforums reviewed it it was 45ms, but then a firmware update raised it to 68ms. I have no idea if that was changed in a later firmware.

IvorB

I just don't get why you single them out? You should have made a thread called 'BUYER BEWARE - LOOK AT A SPEC SHEET BEFORE BUYING A TV' and called it a day. And lo and behold, there's a thread specifically for that purpose on the front page right now.

They have come out guns blazing with a 4K, HDR focused console refresh so it's definitely valid to put a spotlight on their own TVs performance in that area.

Think the title should be updated to say "Some adds incredible Lag". The X800D is among the best and what a lot of gaffers have recommended.

They have come out guns blazing with a 4K, HDR focused console refresh so it's definitely valid to put a spotlight on their own TVs performance in that area.

If the thread is truly to make buyers aware though, shouldn't we address that a lot of manufacturers have similar ratings and that some Sony models are among the best in their price range.

Calm Mind

As with any bleeding edge tech, its best to wait at least a year or two before plunking down your hard earned cash. It gives the tech and media time to mature as well as prices to drop considerably.

Justified

Think the title should be updated to say "Some adds incredible Lag". The X800D is among the best and what a lot of gaffers have recommended.

If the thread is truly to make buyers aware though, shouldn't we address that a lot of manufacturers have similar ratings and that some Sony models are among the best in their price range.

Again (4th time) the X800D is listed in the OP as an example of how things should work

Ok so let me ask a question;

I plan on buying one of these TV's later tonight. Will I be affected by this lag?

Sony Bravia KD49XD8077
Sony KD49XD7004BU
LG 49" UH668v

For reference - 49" is the max I can fit in my current accomodation

JP

How big can thread titles be on 4K/HDR TVs?

Code:
[B]Buyer Beware: 4K/HDR TVs Add Input Lag, Some Are Better Than Others But It's Certainly Not Related to a Particular Manufacturer.
Please Bear in Mind That Increased Input Lag Was Also an Issue When 1080p TVs Were Initially Available,
Perhaps it's Worth Waiting if You're Wanting to Game in 4K/HDR and Are Not Willing to Pay a Premium.

This is All Covered in Greater Accuracy in Numerous Other Threads on Here.[/B]

Hedrush

I don't understand. I have the X850D, and in game mode ther eis no way the input lag is that high. If it is, then apparently I just don't give a shit about input lag, because it's never once bothered me

This info is old. Sony released a firmware update late last month to reduce input lag. They also release instructions on how to further reduce it as well.

My 850c is fine. Have you actually used any of the TVs or are you just basing this off of tech specs?

All of the above.

I have an 850c and the input lag is negligible, it's a fantastic TV.

JP

Sony are removing threads that point out these issues on their official forums

90+ page thread on the forums removed

http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ult...-Sony-2015-and-most-of-2016/m-p/603679#M14678

Second thread removed

https://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ul...unacceptable-for-4K-gaming/m-p/603727#U603727
To be fair, exactly the same would happen on here if people kept creating identical threads with identical titles that intentionally contained misleading information, give it an hour or so for this one. :)

After the latest patch my 55X8509C is perfectly playable at 4k with HDR when gaming, no major problems at all. It might not have the lowest input lag but for an older TV its surprisingly decent after the latest patch, much better than the 94ms it used to be.

From the RTINGS.com Review

1080p @ 60Hz Show Help : 35.3 ms
1080p With Interpolation Show Help : 65.0 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode Show Help : 71.3 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : 35.3 ms
4k @ 60Hz Show Help : 58.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : 58.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR Show Help : 58.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR Show Help : 58.1 ms

The 1080p input lag of the Sony X850C in game mode is good, but nothing exceptional. Outside of game mode, the input lag is surprisingly low - even when turning on the soap opera effect.

Update 10/26/2016: After the Latest firmware update (PKG3.531.0108NAB), the HDR input lag has gone down from 94ms to around 58ms, which is a good improvement and should be good enough for casual 4k HDR gaming.

Justified

To be fair, exactly the same would happen on here if people kept creating identical threads with identical titles that intentionally contained misleading information, give it an hour or so for this one. :)

The were deleting identical ones though. they deleted the OG one that was like 90+ pages long. I think they are calming down now since its being pointed out across other prominent forums

It's funny to see how Video Games dictates the new tecnology over TV companies.

Most of the stores in Brazil are promoting their TV's with high quality video game footage (Star Wars Battlefront is the more usual among all).

LG and Sony quickly moved their perspective over image quality to input response in a few weeks after the Xbox One S and PS4K (rumors) supporting HDR and 4K.

WE SHALL RULE THEM ALL!!!!

5 MS RESPONSE IN 4K HDR IT'S WHAT WE WANT!!!!

Kickz

The lack of interdepartmental cooperation within Sony is astonishing tbh. As someone whose last 4 tvs have been Sony sets it sucked to realize that for this year Samsung was the way to go for the tv that I wanted and criteria I had set for myself.

Yup, and funny enough you would think you would have the presence of mind to make sure your flagship tv is the best option for your own console lol..

This is the main reason I'm holding off on a new TV for a year, even though I just bought a PS4 Pro.

After playing enough 2D shootemups, input-lag becomes really noticeable.

JP

The were deleting identical ones though. they deleted the OG one that was like 90+ pages long. I think they are calming down now since its being pointed out across other prominent forums
Did it hold the same information that you've posted? If so, then maybe the original one was deleted simply because the information that you've included, as people keep showing you, is not what it claims due to being factually incorrect?

Top Bottom