• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buzz! Quiz TV - Official Thread of Quiztacular Quiztestants!

mrbagdt

Jim said:
I've been playing the US Retail version for a bit now (after playing Jeopardy for a while), and the questions are way better balanced in Buzz, but they are not straight up "easy". They are pretty much all pop-culture related, so there's no need to brush up on your Colonial American history or anything. There are not a ton of simple "buzz in and win" questions, there's a good mix of question types that level out the field somewhat.

Having lots of fun with the game. The awesome wireless buzzers really make it. Online is very seamless. Good trophies too :) The user created questions work really nicely.
thats good- i dont know colonial american history at ALL. i played jeopardy with a friend who is a history teacher and all the game turns into is who knows more obscure facts and is not going to miss any questions. when he started getting answers about the names of Egyptian gods, i knew i was outclassed.

also, i got an email today with a $5 off coupon at best buy for the game. i will probably grab it over the lunch hour!

Best Buy was zero help last night. They had it in stock, but it took 30 minutes and FOUR employees to find it in their back warehouse...

Clinton514 said:
Just went through a couple of hours or so of playing. I'm very impressed. Like Jim mentioned, online is so smooth. I wish there was a way to mix up the game modes a bit more and perhaps an option to hide answers in All That Apply...but I suppose that's part of the fun of the mode, having everyone copying the top scorer.

So far my best trophy is a silver 10 streak. I haven't broke 5000pts yet.

I got the Play 1 MyBuzz game Bronze and the He's On Fire Silver trophies last night.

I got 11,130 points in one game, but still not enough for the Bronze 15,000 points trophy.

The commercial for the PSP version made it look AWESOME. When I get a PSP I am definitely getting it.

As for Buzz! Quiz TV, I hope GameXchange calls me today saying it is in. That's the only downside from preordering from them is that they don't usually get the game ON release day.

Jim

Clinton514 said:
So far my best trophy is a silver 10 streak. I haven't broke 5000pts yet.

The "The Barnard Award Gold", 5,000 Points single player Trophy is HARD (its a gold, duh). Requires answering all 18 questions correctly in a row, with pretty much no more than a 1.5 second reaction time, lol.

Got it while playing Movies and TV finally though :)

calder

My wife really wanted a quiz game - and Jeopardy on PSN is such a crashing bore of a disappointment - so she picked this up yesterday. I was really surprised at how fun it was to just play each other, the different modes add a lot to the enjoyment and of course everyone having a dedicated controller adds a lot too. We didn't know anything about the game really until we played it and were quite happy with it, especially when we found the user-generated quizzes. Tried out a Simpsons trivia quiz and that was really good, hopefully lots of people put all kinds of quizzes out there.

While we were playing last night my brother sent me a message asking if it was any good since he and his gf were looking for a good trivia game and were similarly let down by Jeopardy, I sold him on it fairly quickly. He should be picking up a copy today so we can play against him tonight... that should be a fairly intense 2v2 battle as all of us enjoy a smug sense of trivia aptitude. ;)

I didn't know this was out but saw it at the store today so grabbed it on impulse. I notice that it offers "sofa vs sofa" online play so if anyone is down for some online games lemme know.

(My PSN name is whitta if anyone wants to add me.)

Synless

I just picked this up yesterday because it's a game my girlfriend will actually play, Pretty good game, picked up the videogame expansion, anyone know how many questions that it adds?

Just played this over thanksgiving weekend and wow if you can manage to round up 8 buzzers this makes a great party game. Rockband wasn't touched all night.

Love this game.... I just think $6 is too much for an extra 500 questions....

Here's hoping they do a bundle with the quiz packs for this game, I'd like to pick up as many as possible.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm picking this up today as an alternative to Smarty Pants (great questions, terrible presentation). Hope they keep putting out the DLC, as that's really what lured me in. Never played the series before, but I played the PSP demo and it was solid enough. Not expecting YDKJ but it seems good.

What's YDKJ?

Buzz is a good game, I just there was more play options and options to have the game longer or shorter. More media wouldn't hurt either (i.e. playing songs, movies, etc)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Game is fun. I obviously understand why, but I really wish the video-game pack wasn't so Sony-focused and really was just general trivia about video games. Same thing with Smarty Pants, where the questions were actually interesting and challenging but every single one was about EA.

I haven't bought any DLC, is it worth it? I'm thinking movies because my family members that play the game don't know much about American Culture or videogames....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The questions seem to be pretty good, just like the other questions more or less. I'd stay away from the video-game pack for the reason mentioned above, but other than that I think it just comes down to interest, so just avoid American culture if you think it's not up your alley (I should have done this with the National Geographic pack, but I couldn't resist getting more variety). You can also turn them "off" in the options if there's one you don't want to come up when you're, e.g, playing with your family.

I might get the comedy and National Geographic DLC.

Also does anyone know if this game has Voice Chat? I'll probably be moving soon and this is one of the few games that I could play with my parents and with my girlfriend, but it would kinda suck if we can't chat while playing online....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Not that anyone but Aranha and I care about this game at this point BUT here are my impressions about the game after more playthroughs.

-Pretty fun party game that I would actually put about on par with Smarty Pants. Questions and gameplay variety in Smarty Pants is better, but presentation is better in Buzz, and the buzzers are much better than remotes.

-The game is in DIRE need of more gameplay mechanics and question types. After playing through my first game I thought the different question formats were fun and I couldn't wait to see what else was in store. Then I realized that's it. YDKJ spoiled me, but come on. Also, the picture matching-game is just stupid.

-Presentation needs more variety. Having the same win animation and the same pre- and end-game comments every time is just silly. Trivial (har) maybe, but for a game that focuses so much on a "fun" presentation, you'd think they'd include more variety.

I'm happy to have another trivia game in my arsenal for parties. And despite the mediocre (and usually easy) questions, this still beats the shit out of a borefest like Trivial Pursuit. But Buzz reinforces my belief that no trivia game will ever come close to YDKJ.

I don't think Sony is backing this game enough. I have brought it to three family holiday parties and between them it single handedly sold two PS3's. It's a huge hit every where I bring it. I wish they'd support it more with more frequent question packs though. It is just a solid trivia game, a lot of the demographic with the money to buy a PS3 love trivia.

agm2502

Bill_the_Butcher said:
I don't think Sony is backing this game enough. I have brought it to three family holiday parties and between them it single handedly sold two PS3's. It's a huge hit every where I bring it. I wish they'd support it more with more frequent question packs though. It is just a solid trivia game, a lot of the demographic with the money to buy a PS3 love trivia.

100% agree, its really popular with the people i've played it with.

Ashour

One of my friends hates Sony with a passion, he wouldn't allow any of his family members to buy anything with "Sony" on it he even spams my inbox with every anti-playstation article he could find, so the guys were at my place and we played a couple of Buzz games, he was so entertained that after a few weeks he went out and bought A PS3, the shock was so hard on us that some of our friends made a Facebook group for the news, others were circulating E-mails and SMS like it's news of the year, some of us still don't believe it :lol

He still hates Sony, he wouldn't even let us take a picture of him with his new PS3, I guess that would mean admitting defeat.

spwolf

Bill_the_Butcher said:

it is hard to advertise something like this for PS3 - just like Singstar... but they are continuing to support those games and it seems like sales are picking up.

I really wish the online mode for this was a bit better. They should make it so you can pick the rounds you play. Not to mention being able to save your name / char.

(Oh, and I hate the fact that other players on your machine can't get trophies too... but I think that's more of a PS3 problem than a game problem)

This is now the game of choice over rockband at parties. It lets more people get involved. 8 player support is awesome and there are times I've had couples team up on 1 buzzer making the player limit even higher. It's fun to watch people play also. Jeering the person who only bets 50 while everyone bets the limit is good times.

Markade said:
This is now the game of choice over rockband at parties. It lets more people get involved. 8 player support is awesome and there are times I've had couples team up on 1 buzzer making the player limit even higher. It's fun to watch people play also. Jeering the person who only bets 50 while everyone bets the limit is good times.

Yeah. This game and Rag Doll Kung Fu are the choice party games now for us, too. We've got all the good question packs, too.

I've gotta get 4 more buzzers though. My friends reliably remember to bring beer/wine/liquor, but don't always remember to bring their buzzers, if they own them. (At least they have their priorities straight though!)

Actually, we kind like to play the 4 buzzer mode anyway though. 8 players is cool, but we miss "Pass the Bomb" and "Pie Fight" too much. Maybe with the next Buzz, or as a DLC, they could add a new mode or two that would work only for large parties, to replace those lost modes.

Pristine_Condition said:
Yeah. This game and Rag Doll Kung Fu are the choice party games now for us, too. We've got all the good question packs, too.

I've gotta get 4 more buzzers though. My friends reliably remember to bring beer/wine/liquor, but don't always remember to bring their buzzers, if they own them. (At least they have their priorities straight though!)

Actually, we kind like to play the 4 buzzer mode anyway though. 8 players is cool, but we miss "Pass the Bomb" and "Pie Fight" too much. Maybe with the next Buzz, or as a DLC, they could add a new mode or two that would work only for large parties, to replace those lost modes.

Buy PS2 version of Buzz. The controllers should work on PS3 and the PS2 buzz games now cost around $10.

Oh and I think I should buy this game! :)

This game has officially replaced plastic instruments and the Wii for large family/friend gatherings at our house. The PSP version is pretty good too - great for long trips, plus you can pass it around with up to 4 players.

yay more buzz games incoming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jso9QEr5Uic

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4789&NewsAreaID=2
The PS3 version has your name all over it – literally. Buzz!: Quiz World lets you build your own personal player profile and tracks how well you’re doing – not through a leaderboard but through the words of Buzz himself. He’ll address you by name and he’ll keep notes on what you’re good at and what you’re not – and he’ll make you, your family and friends giggle with personal quips when you least expect it.

As well as 5,000 brand new questions, the game features new characters, new rounds including a highly messy gunge tank round (so watch your outfit), and a new range of game modes that let you choose exactly how you want to play – whether you fancy a quick, fun game with your friends, or a seriously entertaining clash of general knowledge brainpower with your family, Buzz!: Quiz World lets you decide. Sofa vs. Sofa online play has also been given a boost – now, with 8 player match ups for PlayStation®Network quiz battles.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
An expansion pack DLC type of thing would be cool...but Im still buying anyway I guess. My friends like playing this game and more quiz type games would be nice

DeadGzuz

Banned
Anyone bought the new Kids Robo Buzz thing for $4.99 on PSN? I read it has trophies, but want to know if it is worth it for kids.

So I've been playing this for the past few days and it is such an awesome party game. Why hadn't I bought this earlier I don't know! Some of the rounds get a lil stale after a while but the DLC packs make up for it :D

Which brings me to the fact that Buzz! Quiz World comes out this month.

Who's getting it? I'm looking forward to the new challenges and rounds :)

I just can't see myself buying the standalone stuff for this. Why they haven't taken advantage of DD / PSN to add all the new functionality in packs is beyond me.

agm2502

untoldhero said:
So I've been playing this for the past few days and it is such an awesome party game. Why hadn't I bought this earlier I don't know! Some of the rounds get a lil stale after a while but the DLC packs make up for it :D

Which brings me to the fact that Buzz! Quiz World comes out this month.

Who's getting it? I'm looking forward to the new challenges and rounds :)

I'm getting it, can't wait. I'm glad they've decided to store profiles, that was my major gripe with the first PS3 one. I just hope it has the voiceover names for everyone that plays it although I read they also have nicknames people can use in case it doesn't have their name.

Psychotext said:
I just can't see myself buying the standalone stuff for this. Why they haven't taken advantage of DD / PSN to add all the new functionality in packs is beyond me.
I don't know, it's kind of like the Guitar Hero situation don't you think?

untoldhero said:
I don't know, it's kind of like the Guitar Hero situation don't you think?
Well... other than the fact that Activision are money grabbing scum...

I don't really have anything against the "sequels", but given it's a first party title I really don't see why they aren't offering some sort of benefit to existing owners (by way of update packs). It's made worse because I know that it's only a short while after I buy one that the next one is released, and there's not been anything worthy of a rebuy so far.

On the bright side, you can usually grab them (in the UK at least) for very little.

23ibjwj.jpg

Gamestop has a listing if its' release on 11/10/09..could have sworn some other dumb FPS game comes out that day too.

Kotaku also just wrote a Hands-On preview of it- here bitches

Sounds pretty interesting, nothing major but the game is a riot with friends over.
$40 for the software, sold. :D

Top Bottom