• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

By Jove, Jupiter is terrifying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few things in life make me queasy but when I think about Jupiter I can't help but feel this tingling sense of dread slowly build up inside me, this feeling of panic rise as I think about the immense scale and power that Jupiter contains.

ntWH1rZ.jpg

Just looking at this thing makes me feel uneasy. I've had dreams of standing on Earth, slowly watching as we descend into Jupiter's Horizon, awakening in shock at the immensity I was feeling.

Listening to the electromagnetic sounds of Jupiter is equally horrific, the calm aura beckoning to Voyager stationed at a safe distance. Just imagine accidentally falling towards this thing. A slight mishap and suddenly you are slowly being consumed by it, powerless to fight as it gains larger and larger and larger still, the hint of 360 km/h winds slowly approaching, ready to rip you apart in seconds, if not that then the horrific immensity of gravity crushing you as you whip about in the hot hydrogen compressed so tightly it's freaking liquid. Not to mention the radiation this thing emits.

I know there are far more terrifying objects in the universe, stars that seem incomprehensibly large, black holes billions of times the size of solar masses, but Jupiter has a special place in my heart for some reason. Maybe it's the calm heavenly appearance that masks the reality, maybe it's the fact that we have such clear images of it in our spectrum of light, or maybe it's the fact that we've never seen a video feed of a probe descend into it (just the data), but this gas giant in particular has always fascinated me. I really hope to see and know more about it. I want to see a probe relay some video back as it descends into it until it is crushed by the gravity.

Rezbit

Well when you put it like that it is kinda scary...

Also yo that sound...scary and vast. Kinda reminds me of that ear piercing hum from 2001.

televator

Pshhh Jupiter's pretty tame for a gas giant. I mean its atmosphere will probably still rip the flesh off your bones and its gravity well might crush those remaining bones into dust... but there are other gas giants that are almost stars.

....and speaking of stars Jupiter could fall into the sun right now and Sol wouldn't even notice. I've heard that Sol was like 90 percent or more of the matter in this local cluster of our.

alien balloon beings live there

Yeah I remember reading that in 2001 a space odyssey. Big ass jelly fish floating around in there with a bunch of little shark things thrown in too. I think Clarks best idea was the lifeforms surrounded by underwater vents on Europa, seemed the most plausible and akin to what we have on Earth compared to a bunch of huge jelly fish in hellish winds.

trinest

Pshhh Jupiter's pretty tame for a gas giant. I mean its atmosphere will probably still rip the flesh off your bones and its gravity well might crush those remaining bones into dust... but there are other gas giants that are almost stars.

Oh do share some freaky gas giant facts please.

kurahador

Hmmm...this isn't Jupiter's Ascending viral marketing now is it? ಠ_ಠ

Otherwise...yeah, fascinating planet. I always imagining Mass Effect galaxy map music being played when seeing that gif.

Log4Girlz

Hmmm...this isn't Jupiter's Ascending viral marketing now is it? ಠ_ಠ

Otherwise...yeah, fascinating planet. I always imagining Mass Effect galaxy map music being played when seeing that gif.

I don't think he's a viral marketer. He's just new, be nice.

I'd heard those electromagnetic sounds before, but they still creep me out. Really fascinating.

....and speaking of stars Jupiter could fall into the sun right now and Sol wouldn't even notice. I've heard that Sol was like 90 percent or more of the matter in this local cluster of our.

You're right, at least according to wikipedia. "The Sun is a G-type main-sequence star comprising about 99.86% of the total mass of the Solar System." Apparently, the sun doesn't have enough mass to go supernova, I didn't know that one.

As far as I know, though, technically 'the local cluster' (or 'local group') refers to a group of galaxies, including our own Milky Way. The sun's only a tiny blip on that scale. You're talking about the solar system.

As for Jupiter, he's the king of the planets, OP, of course he's gonna be scary. I think Saturn is more badass though, honestly, just because of those rings. Just look at this motherfucker, everything wants to be near him and he simply gives no fucks. Not to mention the fact that both Titan and Enceladus, the most likely places for life to have developed in this solar system, are rotating around this monster. Imagine living on one of those moons, looking up, and seeing this dude chillin' in the sky. Saturn gives no fucks.

Fuck, now I will too. That's creepy shit.

Lach

Jupiter was my first target when going into astrophotography.
What freaked me out is that this jovian monster takes less then 10 hours to rotate around its axis.

Also how clearly the movement of its gas cloud can be seen when recording a movie of only a few minutes. The forces that are batteling on this thing must be incredible!

Big-E

Jupiter is the "good guy" of our solar system. Takes hits for us and doesn't ask for anything in return.

Are you scared of the Sun too OP?

1024px-Magnificent_CME_Erupts_on_the_Sun_-_August_31.jpg

Nah man, like I said in the last paragraph I know there's insanely bigger things out there, it''s just something about Jupiter. Maybe it's because you'd burn up long before you got to the Sun but with Jupiter you could get pretty intimate with it.

I've always wondered if that sound of Jupiter was real, because it is horrifying to me. I seriously could not stand to live within that noise.

Jupiter is the "good guy" of our solar system. Takes hits for us and doesn't ask for anything in return.

Yeah. I remember watching this GIF a year or so ago of something massive colliding into Jupiter. If something that big hit earth, its bye bye to everything.

giphy.gif

edit: Get it... 'cause Jupiter is totally the Roman version of Zeus, and you're all like, 'Ew, no Jupiter' which is like what Hades is feeling, all 'Ew, no Zeus' so it's, you know, yeah.

lhnl88N.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom