• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

By Jove, Jupiter is terrifying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jupiter is misunderstood. It's more our protector than anything else. From what I understand, if it weren't for Jupiter's gravity, we'd be getting pelted with asteroids and shit left and right from the outer solar system.

Edit: Beaten

ChuyMasta

Jupiter is misunderstood. It's more our protector than anything else. From what I understand, if it weren't for Jupiter's gravity, we'd be getting pelted with asteroids and shit left and right from the outer solar system.

I dont know how to feel about the one Jupiter missed some million years ago

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

At the same time, Jupiter is the reason we have an asteroid belt and not another planet.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I feel you OP. It's big enough and close enough to be terrifying, but far enough away to be completely ignorable and able to be admired from a distance. The invisible hand that catches all our asteroids. *brofist* Jupiter.

Zane

Star_Gate.JPG

heyf00L

I've always wondered if that sound of Jupiter was real, because it is horrifying to me. I seriously could not stand to live within that noise.

There's no sound is space because sound has to travel through a medium and space is a vacuum.

Those "sounds" are electromagnetic waves made by Jupiter's rotation (same as Earth's magnetic field) which for some unknown reason someone decided to "convert" to sound waves.

SkyOdin

What are the objects, off center, outside of mars? Not the pink objects (assume the pink is the asteroid belt). I'm referring to the yellow objects.

Probably Ceres, Vesta, Pallas, and Hygiea: the four largest objects in the asteroid belt that combined account for half of its total mass.

What is interesting about that picture is that it seems to be missing a lot of the asteroids that are influenced by Jupiter's gravity. The pink dots in that image all seem to be Hilda family asteroids, which are actually a distinct category from the main asteroid belt. Notably missing from that image (but can be seen in a related image) are the Jupiter Trojans, two large masses of asteroids permanently caught in the Jupiter/Sun L4 and L5 Lagrange points (two of the points of the triangle those pink dots are making). The total number of Jupiter Trojans is as large as the combined number found in the entire asteroid belt, but concentrated into a smaller area.

Link to a Wikipedia image showing all of these asteroids.

Javaman

Jupiter is a bro. He catches asteroids for us and shit

edit:

*brofist*

Isn't it Jupiter and Saturn's fault that shit from the port cloud keep getting flung through our solar system? I thought those two act like a destabilizing factor, especially when their orbits line up with the sun.

From my understanding, Jupiter is actually MUCH smaller than it once was. It's actually shrinking, since it gives off more heat then it takes in from the sun. It loses 2cm from it's diameter per year.

Since it's creation, it's actually half as big as it used to be

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
From my understanding, Jupiter is actually MUCH smaller than it once was. It's actually shrinking, since it gives off more heat then it takes in from the sun. It loses 2cm from it's diameter per year.

Since it's creation, it's actually half as big as it used to be

it only losses 2cm per year? a planet?

jupiter, do you even lift?

andthebeatgoeson

Why is Ice Cube promoting a Saturn game?

We wouldn't be here if it weren't for Jupiter. As recent as 2010, it was absorbing earth-sized asteroids like a boss. We salute you, Jupiter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q5KXdvvvfQ
Um, that looks fake as hell. Looks to be the size of the 'eye' on Jupiter, then it disappears within a small window of time? No cloud remnant? Levy Schumacher left a few spots for months and was in the news for months and probably led to two Hollywood movies. I'm sure Bruce Willis would be the first to know.

Wouldn't we have heard about this earth sized object colliding with the largest planet in our solar system? Based on size, that's the largest explosion ever recorded by man. Just looking at the you tube comments will clue you in.

Edit: Never mind, the tag says 'captured with my webcam and long view'

That's an admission to me.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

If you're talking about the one that hit some 65 million years ago in Mexico, then you should feel fucking great about it. Probably wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for that.

televator

You'd be living the life of a primitive shrew, living in terror underground, beneath the feet of the most fearsome animals that ever existed on this planet if that had never happened.

terrisus

David+Suchet+crop.jpg

Unless I missed it, I'm disappointed no one has congratulated the OP on the "By Jove"/Jupiter reference connection.

Raistlin

I've had dreams of standing on Earth, slowly watching as we descend into Jupiter's Horizon[/URL], awakening in shock at the immensity I was feeling.
I used to have a similar dream often-ish. Though typically it was more than one gas giant (including at least some with visible rings).

Definitely made me feel small and pointless.

Red Mage

I've always liked to imagine Jupiter as some kind of prison for a metaphysical being of some sort, bound at the center for an unknown crime millions of years ago. The winds and storms being both what bounds it, as well as being fed by the rage it directs towards our existence. However, sometimes I wonder if it's not so much rage as madness.

Yes, I'm weird. = o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom