• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Byousoku 5 Centimeters - 5 Centimeters Per Second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

Banned
Did a search, did not find anything posted.

Director: Makoto Shinkai
ETA: Spring 2007

phg_9.jpg

phg_1.jpg

Official Movie site.
http://5cm.yahoo.co.jp/
You can download the gorgeous 24 meg HD trailer here
Movie Screens

Translation of text in the trailer

“Do you Know?”
“...the speed at which cherryblossoms fall”
[title card]“5 centimeters per second.”
“At what speed Must I live life”
“…to be able to see you again?”
"a project by Makoto Shinkai"

Translation of the work by Daike at MSFW (not by me.) of the general direction of the story.

"Byousoku 5 Centimeters (Speed of 5 Centimeters per Second)" is the serial short animations consisting of independent three works, which story is depicted with a boy at the core. Its story is set on Japan from the first half of the 1990s to now. Its place moves around Tokyo and some other countryside along with the boy's life.

The imaginary elements, like Sci-Fi or fantasy often shown in many other animations, do not appear in this work. Alternatively, we did thorough location hunting, and are trying to scoop this present real world up by the style of animation.

Our daily life rarely includes eventful dramas, dramatic treachery or sudden revelations. Nevertheless, after all the world is filled with flavor and beauty here and there, and it is worth to live.

We try to depict such an aspect of real life by this film, and to make your familiar landscapes more shining than usual after finished viewing. We aim to make such works which cuddles up to your daily life.

-Makoto Shinkai"

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Makoto Shinkai has an incredible ability with colors, it just looks perfect. I've been loving his work since Hoshi no Koe. I even bought the japanese DVD and created my own subtitled DVDR using a script I found on the net.
Can't wait for this.

BluWacky

As usual, it looks beautiful. But Shinkai's writing leaves a lot to be desired; Place Promised was a bit of a mess. Presumably without the sci-fi elements he shouldn't have so much difficulty with plotholes per se; and given that Place Promised was structured like a 3-part OVA Byosoku 5 Centimetres should work fine.

Bets on whether he gets it out on time?

tnw

Banned
Crap! I misread the title as bosozoku.

One city I lived in, a group of them would drag down the main street honking their 'The Godfather' theme horns. They were harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd.

Awesome, awesome colour work. But I hated his other two films, so I'll only ever see this if it's convenient and I have an escape route.

Lee N

Membre
Sorry for the bump, but I didn't deem it worthy of a new thread.

I got the limited DVD box the other day, it's such a fantastic movie.

JQmFWraSW.jpg

.. I even got a film strip with 5 frames from the movie as a bonus. That's a bit unusual and a fun gift.

UMVCLdxFV.jpg

Evlar

Banned
Thanks for the heads up, this was passing under my radar. Looks like there's an English sub up already.

Everything Makoto Shinkai has worked on so far has been nothing short of beautiful (even if the plot falls a bit short), can't wait for the U.S. DVD release of this... the fansubbed first segment was pretty good IMO.

Orodreth

Watched the movie last week.

I thought it was amazing not only for its mastery in the artistic department but the narrative, the direction, the so clever and emotional way the story, the characters are showed with sometimes minimal gestures.

We were having a discussion about some things:
-
is the woman Takaki meets in the last scene Akari or just another one that has become an illusion for Takaki because of his obsession/not being able to move on? in the 2nd part of the story he keeps dreaming about her but already cant figure her facial expression as he doesnt know her anymore so i thought, as the song words describe, is just Takaki trying to find her in every woman he crosses. On the other hand it could be Akari just because the director wants to mimic the first scene when they were kids

-
What is written in Takaki´s mobile messages? i understood he had lost all contact with Akari and the messages were always written without destination, as they were the first simptoms of its obsesion/depression and reminded him of the letters they wrote when they were still kids

Also, any idea when it may be released in dvd outside Japan?

Timbuktu

Orodreth said:
We were having a discussion about some things:
-
is the woman Takaki meets in the last scene Akari or just another one that has become an illusion for Takaki because of his obsession/not being able to move on? in the 2nd part of the story he keeps dreaming about her but already cant figure her facial expression as he doesnt know her anymore so i thought, as the song words describe, is just Takaki trying to find her in every woman he crosses. On the other hand it could be Akari just because the director wants to mimic the first scene when they were kids

Also, any idea when it may be released in dvd outside Japan?

I think it is left ambiguous because I doesn't really matter because we can tell from his smile as he turns away that he has accepted not meeting Akari again and is moving on. I personally find the railway crossing motif too cliche and heavy handed, it's seems to be in every Japanese tv drama i've seen.

I liked this a lot better than his previous works though, maybe it's the realism and the lack of sci fi, but I do wonder how well the story stands on its own if it wasn't an anime because in some ways they just photoshopped over a film. I do really like the short films format though and I would be good to see more like that.

I'm not sure about a dvd release in the west, but I picked this up in Hong Kong and it has English/Chinese subtitles and Japanese/Cantonese audio.

Orodreth

Timbuktu said:
I think it is left ambiguous because I doesn't really matter because we can tell from his smile as he turns away that he has accepted not meeting Akari again and is moving on. I personally find the railway crossing motif too cliche and heavy handed, it's seems to be in every Japanese tv drama i've seen.

That´s what i thought the smile means also.

Timbuktu said:
I'm not sure about a dvd release in the west, but I picked this up in Hong Kong and it has English/Chinese subtitles and Japanese/Cantonese audio.

I have only found a japanese only version at play-asia.

Zabojnik

I want this movie in HD. :( That trailer looks gorgeous in 720p. Any chance this will be released on blu-ray sometime soon or that the high definition source will find it's way on the internets? I'm ordering the DVD from Play-Asia anyway, but if there's animated material that would look even more stunning in HD, it's Makoto Shinkai's.

B.K.

Nevermind. I was thinking of something else. The only thing I found said ADV was supposed to release it in December. Who knows when they'll release it.

Timbuktu

I only remember seeing one in the second chapter which he deleted and it just described the scene straight before saying some like
"I dreamt I was on a grass plain on a planet, walking with a girl whose face I can never see."

Then in the third part he gets a text from his ex saying "It's been a while, although I have some doubts, I have something I need to tell you" or something like that.

I do wonder which of the three chapters people prefer. The first part probably has the best imagery with the cherry blossoms and the train and the snow, and the third part has that swelling musical montage. However, personally I prefer Cosmonaut because I like Sumida as a character and find Takaki's voice a bit whiny and pathetic, plus the rocket and the stars is a strong image and analogy without going too far into sci-fi.

kiryogi

Banned
I think ADV said it'll be out around feb now or something D: Damn that December date, I plan to order the HK special edition in the mean time though. Seriously love this movie, and I agree, the non sci-fi helps it a lot.

Zabojnik

Saw it yesterday, absolutely loved it, even if has one or two cliche moments too many. The colors, the art, the atmosphere ... Ahhh. I really hope this gets released in HD on disc someday.

Orodreth

Timbuktu said:
I only remember seeing one in the second chapter which he deleted and it just described the scene straight before saying some like
"I dreamt I was on a grass plain on a planet, walking with a girl whose face I can never see."

Then in the third part he gets a text from his ex saying "It's been a while, although I have some doubts, I have something I need to tell you" or something like that.

Thanks for that

Timbuktu said:
I do wonder which of the three chapters people prefer. The first part probably has the best imagery with the cherry blossoms and the train and the snow, and the third part has that swelling musical montage. However, personally I prefer Cosmonaut because I like Sumida as a character and find Takaki's voice a bit whiny and pathetic, plus the rocket and the stars is a strong image and analogy without going too far into sci-fi.

I have to watch it again but i wouldnt choose a chapter over the others but scenes i remember
1 chapter ) the train travel in the first one (the way the director builds tension with the delays, specially when stops completely in the middle of nowhere and Takaki begs for Her to get back home, and then finally the climax,...with the frame from behind the bench with both eating and the "camera" looking at their feet waving below, that says so much with those minimal details)

2 chapter) when they get back walking and she just crumbles, falls apart and then the rocket launches. I specially like the way they animated her and his hands trying to cover the tears, very natural. Or the way she waits always in the corner. The dream scene is also very nice.

3 chapter) parts of the "song" mix, when Takaki says why he wrote messages and explains what was happening in the 2nd, and even if the traincross is a bit cliché, i like a lot that ending scene.

Super mega bump! :D

Wow....how the hell did I not know about this amazing little movie till now?

Watched it last night and thought it was really beautiful on so many levels!

Mr. Hyde

Tricky I Shadow said:
Super mega bump! :D

Wow....how the hell did I not know about this amazing little movie till now?

Watched it last night and thought it was really beautiful on so many levels!

I agree. I love introducing this short film to people I know. Although his other works are wrapped around science fiction themes, they deal with the same type of emotions and loss. I believe Makoto Shinkai's next film is supposed to deal with how to cope with the loss, so it should be an interesting change of pace.

Also, check out this short five minute film of his: She and Her Cat.

Timbuktu

Metroid Killer said:
I take it that it'll never be out in the UK/Europe :(

I saw Shinkai at a screening at the bfi a couple of years ago and he said he's spending the year in London. not sure why the dvd isn't out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom